General Patch Discussion [merged]

in Ranger

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I have a 80 Thief and Guardian and I am fairly new to Ranger (lvl32) so I don’t want to spout off about things I don’t know but I know what I expect classes to feel like while playing them.

My initial response to ranger is that they feel weak and pet AI is lacking. I know pets are part of the class but why cant we have an option to permastore our pets? It would be nice to have builds that were not so pet reliant. Maybe have different pets give different added stats like power,vitality, cc ect… to their owners while they are out and alive? It would also be nice to control what attacks your pet is using w/cool down times.

That is my wishlist for now I’m sure as I progress I will be adding to it.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

in Ranger

Posted by: Akisame.9508

Akisame.9508

SO you really think, that the ranger, which class description says: “Unparalleled Archer” , is SUPPOSED to be weaker then the warrior, the average sword and board/hammer pound away dude.

The Warrior’s description states “Warriors are masters of weaponry”. Not “melee” weaponry but “weaponry”. As in “all weapons, including ranged ones”. You’re shoving previous mmorpg conventions onto the Warrior just as you are with the Ranger

In the first beta weekend, the Warrior could (often did) lose to the ranger; the Ranger would spec for damage, ignore the pet entirely, and win fights.

The class that is designed to win through being superior with weapons equipped, lost on their own home turf.
You may say rangers are supposed to be the best at ranged combat; I say, there’s better ways for that to be so than raw damage.

Unparalleled archers… I think this part isn’t sinking in for you. This means that in terms of archery, rangers are on top. No one is better. this INCLUDES WARRIORS.

The problem is what do you define as ‘Unparalleled’? Damage? Then yes, the ranger should do more damage according tot hat description. However, what about in other ways?
For example, firing a shortbow on the move, accurately hitting a target? That requires a lot of skill and only unparalleled skill in a bow lets you do that sort of thing. Putting more damage on the bows so it matches a warrior will not fix things. It will break them.

This must be coming from a warrior.
un·par·al·leled – Without parallel, equal, or match; unequaled. Radically distinctive and without equal.
adjective unequalled, exceptional, unprecedented, rare, unique, singular, consummate, superlative, unrivalled, incomparable, unmatched, peerless, unsurpassed, matchless, beyond compare, without equal.

The fact that a warrior can surpass us in damage…while moving….out-damage us in DPS with the bow, does not qualify us as unparalleled. The fact that they surpass us in any aspect of the bow now means that we are no longer unparalleled.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rauphz.2869

Rauphz.2869

Rangers are broken and badly underpowered. The solution?

Buff warrior longbow.

Solution is reroll to Warrior and stop mimimi.
When dev’s see all rerolling, hoho, we’ll get a buff (underwater of course).

in Ranger

Posted by: Calavero.3420

Calavero.3420

The thing that amazes me is that Jon made his post in this forum in response to the huge outcry over the shortbow change (which created the QZ/Quickness bug that has STILL not even been admitted to actually be occurring).

The big patch goes through, and not only is the QZ bug unfixed, but signet and shout changes (which were specifically mentioned as being the focus of our change list) aren’t even in there.

It’s pretty ridiculous. It’s easy to see how this happened, but that doesn’t change the fact that it did. The millions of people who paid for the game and continue to pour money into the gem store really can’t be expected to happily accept “we couldn’t get to all the stuff we came onto our forums and said we’d do for you because we only have 2 people working on this stuff, and there just isn’t time to do it”. I sincerely appreciate that, but in a real life business environment, it just doesn’t fly.

I’m not angry about any of this, but I am certainly very disappointed. I plan to check the forums for changes, but I have no desire to play right now, and probably won’t much (if at all) until, at minimum, the things that Jon came on to this forum and specifically said were going to be addressed, are.

One thing is for certain: I’m not buying a single gem out of the gem store until they are. That’s one of the few ways a commerce system like GW2 has really works for the consumer: you can vote with your wallet, yet still play the game if you want to.

in Ranger

Posted by: Duncan.7294

Duncan.7294

Replying for ranger solidarity; I think we all get the gist of this thread. I will keep my 80 ranger with exotics because it took so long to level him.

My engineer is now lvl 80 and honestly is outperforming my ranger with rares, a few exotics, masterwork trinkets and no back slot. Kits are a really fun mechanic with great versatility. There are multiple viable builds for this profession. So if you enjoy medium armor and ranged capability with more heals, group buffs and utility, survivability and damage output come on over to the tinkering side.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

First off, I understand and appreciate the situation from Arenanet’s end. They can’t rush in changes they don’t have time to properly develop and test.

However, I also have had the reaction that Arenanet very obviously needs to do something at the staffing level to greatly improve the speed and efficiency of future profession changes and fixes. It seems obvious that Jon Peters and Isaiah Cartwright need a.) more developers on the profession team to streamline the ongoing profession development process b.) need to be freed from any other development duties that interfere with their ability to focus on profession development c.) need a small, dedicated team of playtesters that do nothing but test profession changes being developed.

Profession capability, stability, functionality and balance are key foundational elements of the game as a whole and there is no excuse to be understaffed in the area of ongoing profession development.

(edited by Fiontar.4695)

in Ranger

Posted by: Carnagh.1687

Carnagh.1687

Can we save the word “disgusted” for things that are actually disgusting? Otherwise, we just sound childish.

I’m a bit disappointed as I believed there was going to be some exciting change to the Ranger today. I think the changes that were made were fine, I guess I was just expecting something with a bit more novelty to it.

in Ranger

Posted by: CENSOR.6081

CENSOR.6081

With over 800 tournament games play as a ranger, I can safely say these ranger ‘buffs’ are close to an absolute joke.

And I say this with plenty of tPvP experience as ranger. (over 800 tournanment games played as ranger).

Small man syndrome.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

This patch was about as useful as a windshield wiper on a goat’s buttocks. Brb rerolling a warrior.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: Akimbo.4835

Akimbo.4835

Having a pet as the core mechanic for rangers would be fine. However Anet need to make it a BONUS, not a dead-weight that drags everything else we can do down.

Not only do Ranger weapons need a 40%+ damage buff across every skill, the mechanics of how they play need to be brought into line with everyone else. i.e. a full damage build if you choose it. Currently the shortbow has 4/5 skills as “support” and the greatsword has 3/5 (possibly 4/5 if you count the auto-attack) also as “support.” I wouldn’t mind this, if the damage it put out was higher, but we end up with a prof. that can kill things, but is just slower than everyone else. Every other prof. just kills things faster, so doesn’t need all these support skills.

blah. I can’t even be bothered to put forward reasons anymore. You all know how it is if you have a level 80 ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: neverborne.4736

neverborne.4736

Well I’ve slept on it. Had some time to cool off a bit. I think the reason this is hit me so hard is that Jon really made it sound like there was some major change in the works. Didn’t want to give us a “spoiler”. Pulled back due to “risk”. “Significant improvements” etc. etc. I guess he was probably talking about GS 4 skill? Which, I guess I would be very happy with if I wanted to play a melee character. I expected a fix to one of our core issues, not just one weapon.

I, and many others, want to play a bow ranger, and right now that means I’m one of the weakest players on the field in pvp. Bring very little to my group. I’m saddened to hear that he thinks Longbow is fine as is. If it got a 10% damage boost (like warrior) and improved projectile speed, and opening strike bug was fixed, it would be a decent weapon.

But the truth is, we are limited by our core mechanic, the pet. Until pet survivability and ability to hit moving targets is improved… the class will never be a force to be reckoned with in WvW.

in Ranger

Posted by: aPutridCorpse.8792

aPutridCorpse.8792

85k views. 700+ responses….hundreds of feedback posts…and these were our fixes?

Why would they not have 1 person for EACH profession working on fixing things?

Our longbow is subpar but warriors needed theirs buffed? Their rifle just wasn’t strong enough?

GOOD LORD, no wonder I’ve stopped playing.

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

in Ranger

Posted by: Sals.9534

Sals.9534

I look at this way. I don’t pay them per month so whatever. If I walk away for this game I don’t feel like I’ve lost anything. I enjoyed the game and got more then my $60 worth.

Maybe it’s time to necro my Vanguard SoH Bard, they have the F2P model now.

He is very small tip ANet. Get some good players that know each class and see if they would like to be a class leader. They can rely important fixes to the dev team.

You can’t fix a class if you don’t know how play it.

Colegate / Selos Song Kaineng-DE Guild

in Ranger

Posted by: Casey.9687

Casey.9687

With over 800 tournament games play as a ranger, I can safely say these ranger ‘buffs’ are close to an absolute joke.

And I say this with plenty of tPvP experience as ranger. (over 800 tournanment games played as ranger).

Small man syndrome.

don’t be THAT guy alright? shoo

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

He is very small tip ANet. Get some good players that know each class and see if they would like to be a class leader. They can rely important fixes to the dev team.

That worked decently in VG, but wasn’t perfect due to some class-leads with big egos, not listening to other players but pushing forward their own agenda.

I think it’s better to listen to all players, and let the forum visitors consolidate the main issues and give their best suggestions on what to do about those issues.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

re-logged the ranger. bought new weps, reset traits, went to try all the new things!

uffffffff………

in Ranger

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I did find one way to improvise with my (Range)r was to not use range. I instead am using a greatsword with the improved skill 2 and replaced my bear with a spider for the poison. It seems to be doing well enough at lower levels, but as my swap is the axe/warhorn for the call/speed It looks like my ranger is just an underachieving warrior at this point.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

SO you really think, that the ranger, which class description says: “Unparalleled Archer” , is SUPPOSED to be weaker then the warrior, the average sword and board/hammer pound away dude.

The Warrior’s description states “Warriors are masters of weaponry”. Not “melee” weaponry but “weaponry”. As in “all weapons, including ranged ones”. You’re shoving previous mmorpg conventions onto the Warrior just as you are with the Ranger

In the first beta weekend, the Warrior could (often did) lose to the ranger; the Ranger would spec for damage, ignore the pet entirely, and win fights.

The class that is designed to win through being superior with weapons equipped, lost on their own home turf.
You may say rangers are supposed to be the best at ranged combat; I say, there’s better ways for that to be so than raw damage.

Unparalleled archers… I think this part isn’t sinking in for you. This means that in terms of archery, rangers are on top. No one is better. this INCLUDES WARRIORS.

The problem is what do you define as ‘Unparalleled’? Damage? Then yes, the ranger should do more damage according tot hat description. However, what about in other ways?
For example, firing a shortbow on the move, accurately hitting a target? That requires a lot of skill and only unparalleled skill in a bow lets you do that sort of thing. Putting more damage on the bows so it matches a warrior will not fix things. It will break them.

One could say your definition of “Masters of Weaponry” is also an opinion, Being the master of weaponry could mean they never miss, they can USE every weapon out there, the have increased knowledge of weapons, and yes it could also mean they do more effective DMG. It COULD be one or a couple or all, I’m not saying your argument about unparalleled Archers is wrong but I am definitely going to point out where your masters of weaponry argument is sketchy at best according to your own arguments.

The bottom line is if you really look, you can twist wording in any manner making an argument for even the most obvious statements. I personally think you just like to debate for the sake of debating, not a bad thing but you can’t honestly believe your going to win a debate by putting forth your opinion on a statement that was created by someone else, at the same point we can’t insist our opinion is correct either making this a completely invalid debate by all parties.

To me Unparalleled Archer means the best, they have no equal in that department. Masters of Weaponry means proficient (not the best just proficient) in all weaponry.

To each their own I suppose but you read into it how you like and I will read into how I like. We can both have our opinions both of which are equally valid. So if I want to be pissy about Warriors being better at range I and everyone else is within their rights to be pissy according to class descriptions.

Quoted wrong post, this post was directed at the masters of weaponry/unparalleled archer debate post.

(edited by Nuzt.7894)

in Ranger

Posted by: Reck.4108

Reck.4108

I’m getting a real Blizzard feel to these patches. When blatant deficiencies that define a class are cast away or even accepted, this game and more importantly my time seem to be a waste.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holy Shadow.1672

Holy Shadow.1672

Two.. people working at such an important aspect, of a game of this size. Two.

in Ranger

Posted by: LadenSwallow.1468

LadenSwallow.1468

My comment was deleted… only because I said I didn’t want to play anymore thanks to this….

They have money for overzealous mods but not more people to tackle skill balance and debugging it seems.

If you want to reduce the amount of money they have, there is always:

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9053/kw/refund

in Ranger

Posted by: Rokurgepta.4579

Rokurgepta.4579

Hi Anders, I’m totally not here so skip this post and read on…

We made the improvements we had time to test. There are still more ranger improvements but when our time is limited we have to focus on things we know we can fix. Signets and shouts are still on the docket, and I suspect some of each of these will get some love in the next time around. As you can see a lot changed in this build for every profession and we have to test these changes as well.

I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement after this patch and we will continue to make those improvements. If we could fix everything at one time we would, but the reality is there are a limited # of hours to make changes.

I see a lot of talk about ranger weapons, but I don’t think that is the real problem. I think sword and longbow are both good weapons, which is why the changes take longer. The problems are deeper, in pets ability to hit moving targets, trait lines with not enough viable choices and skills that are often too specialized to really compliment the weapon builds. These aren’t things we can change overnight. The change to Greatsword block was in fact a very difficult change, but we made it because we knew it was the right thing to do.

There are >500 skills in this game, 480 traits, and 2 designers working on this. Even then often we are bottle necked by other issues. I’m not going to say we are not working on these things, nor can I say there are things we could have changed but just ran out of time on, but this was a patch that contained ranger improvements and it will not be the last one that does so. Maybe you want more than honesty but that is what I currently have to offer.

Jon

I have a few suggestions.

1. Just because you dont feel like weapons are an issue does not mean they are not an issue.

2. If you dont have enough people to make the changes needed, hire more people or lose customers. Your choice.

3. Stop fixing the other classes that are not broken. Warriors getting a buff is beyond silly when so many Rangers are almost done playing YOUR game. You told us Rangers were getting a lot of changes and now it seems like we are not a priority.

4. I have limited game time and money I am willing to spend on games, if your company wants it they need to fix things. Sadly this game has failed to be as good as I had hoped.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dogo.4691

Dogo.4691

This patch sucks. I’m tired of being a RANGEr with a LONG bow that is the slowest moving target in combat, with no real range advantage, (now Thiefs can Scorpion up to 1200? really?) in leather no less. I had hoped to be a ranged dps style character, but I’m too slow and everyone just chases me down and the roflstomping begins lol. 10% move speed signet does nothing as far as I can tell… Good solo farmer, but not much in the way of group buffs so not wanted in dungeons…

I’m sorry that I’ve made certain assumptions about the class based on just about every other game I’ve ever played, but that will happen. Maybe that’s why there’s 11 pages of complaints about this patch. It’s because we don’t understand how the Devs expect us to play the class in GW2 and we’re doing it wrong.

Please Devs, tell us clearly how you see this class being played to it optimum potential. Is this class not meant to be played as a main, but rather as an occasional support role or farming toon?

I don’t want to melee. I have 1 lvl 80, my Ranger. If that toon is going to continue to suck I won’t be playing much.

THERE IS A REASON THAT I HAVE NEVER COMPLETED A DUNGEON IN THIS GAME
True story.

(edited by Dogo.4691)

in Ranger

Posted by: Blackskys.7182

Blackskys.7182

After all the promises that were made to a class that has already been neglected horribly, you gave us a little hope. Then u rolled out this “patch” and laughed in our faces. Wow…GG Anet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wolfhound.4165

Wolfhound.4165

My momma taught me that " If you don’t got anything good to say, don’t say anything at all" so…..?

(edited by Wolfhound.4165)

in Ranger

Posted by: duvok.2504

duvok.2504

OMFG did they ‘nefr’ throwing dirt for rangers too? I was in WVW and we both killed each other, I was like, "Nice, a couple throws and I’m up, they (not sure which class) were way down, my throw dirt did nothing. They got up and ran away while I sat there in awe. Nobody but us around, we fell down a cliff. Whomever is working on the Ranger class, please, make him a porter. Also, strike his name from memory.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

after reading all this whining I`d make a ranger just to show you ppl wrong.
SOOOOO MAAAAAANY lamenting * come on!

on second thought I won`t roll a ranger so that I won`t be mistaken with one of you guys who are always complaining and stumping your foot at AN!
kitten guys, man it up.

So what you are saying is we are wrong but you not only have no examples of this, but that you personally have no idea what you are talking about?

Has the internet itself become self aware and posting on game forums now?

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

It’s been what? less than 6 months since release? And people is already quiting/rerolling because a few patches didn’t improve our profession?
I’m sticking around, playing the class I like the most, and being pacient.
And don’t get me wrong, I DO wanna see some improvements, specially to our pets. I woulda been satisfied just to see them hitting moving targets and stepping out of AoE (without us having to press F3). And if devs recognize that is going to take a lot of time to have it done, we should have the “perma-stow” option in exchange of some buff, that’s one of the best ideas I’ve read here.
At the moment I’m only able to stow my pet while running alone or in a small group at WvW, just to pretend I’m not a ranger, quite sad.

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in Ranger

Posted by: maina.5389

maina.5389

If Rangers weren’t so bad kitten the bots never would have been using them, and they sure as hell had better farm builds than my Ele in GW1.

That’s all some joking, I don’t play a ranger now, and don’t know what’s up with them. I do know that complaining about numbers or employees and saying hire more, is ignorant of business practices. You really think the people who run,design, write, for a game like this can’t run a business better than you?

When you make more or are named Trump, then maybe you can talk about people hired to do things.

This in no way judges the games balance, only the “internet specific” responses of “experts”

in Ranger

Posted by: Eandur.8109

Eandur.8109

I am still waiting for the fix in the longsword.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mnemesis.8257

Mnemesis.8257

Quite honestly, I am severely disappointed with the spirit “buffs” they have chosen to implement in this update. As if an additional 15% trigger chance on a poorly distanced, even kittened, effect radius would do any good to the class or its party members. These happen to be some of the best support skills of the profession potentially, and yet this was the culmination of months of consideration on the part of ANET? There are better alternative functions that spirits can produce without being a complete waste of utility and trait points. I encourage others to push this issue further in a column I created on this very subject in the suggestion thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Ranger-Spirits-revamp-options/first#post703966

Personally, I think if they intend to continually make spirits a novelty, then it would be better to just say so to the players and remove their presence from our trait line to be replaced with something more constructive. Why are they even included as game content if they require the player(s) using them to either remain out of combat range or effect range. Their current functionality is counterproductive to their roll and is an issue that needs addressing.

in Ranger

Posted by: Michael.7943

Michael.7943

You really couldn’t have been bothered to at least buff some damage numbers. My Support guardian with tanking gear deals around 30% more damage, has better survival, better boons, and aoes. Really unacceptable.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aurum.8793

Aurum.8793

Well… I’m sure I can’t say anythign that hasn’t already been said. I just want to voice my extreme disappointment with this patch. That’s all.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eleazyair.5716

Eleazyair.5716

The rangers deserve an apology Peters!

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

The rangers deserve an apology Peters!

Can’t say I disagree. What kind of developer builds up hope just to crush it?

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Ranger

Posted by: Task.3918

Task.3918

I like my ranger. I can solo anything because i got 2 pets. I am Crazy good under water now big whoop i know but has come in handy with this weekend event. PVP long as you arent kamikaze i do just fine. Stop kittening go play a different class thats why there are so many.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

I got one for using the word ‘glitchy’ or ‘glitch’. So there you go.

On the update side of things would it have been too much to tell us what changes are being worked on but did not make it because of time constraints. They could always be followed by the contingency of ‘this [insert change here] might not prove workable and will need to be dropped’. At least that way he have some idea of why the change is taking so long other than the fact that there seems to be the need to divide their attention between all 8 profession somewhat evenly and what we saw in this update was all they could come up with that didn’t complete break the ranger.

Kind of wondering are they not fixing some issues quickly as the fixes keep breaking something else.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: YumCHA.8706

YumCHA.8706

Two days after the update patch notes and still no confirmation on whether ranger’s will get more fixes or even the ETA to the next update.

A simple

“We understand the anger and frustrations the ranger community has towards our decisions of the fixes concerning the ranger profession in the current update. The next patch will release in a week or so and will cover more profession fixes. Whether or not these fixes will be a core mechanic issue towards the Ranger Profession is to be decided by the Developer Team. Thank you for your patience.”

Would of been enough for me. Seriously.

All it takes is a little communication with the people just to assure them whats happening. Whilst also not putting peoples hopes up, a big mistake on Jon Peter’s part. An apology is more then enough.

Rangetastic, 80 Ranger | Archers United [ARC]
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by YumCHA.8706)

in Ranger

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

I think Anet should take some of the resources spent on one time events and give it to the department that works on fixing class balance. 2 people stretched across 8 classes. I feel bad for Jon. It’s not hard to see why they are having so much trouble balancing things. They clearly don’t have enough man power to make changes in a decent time frame. It’d be better to fix these core gameplay mechanics which affect everyone before adding in things that most people won’t even get to experience.

(edited by Nimmi.1650)

in Ranger

Posted by: Batlav.6318

Batlav.6318

agree about the immortal spirits etc and i dont want some huge buff that will make us overpowered i just want things like pets to be fixed and some of our abilities to be improved so they can be effective

let’s get spider pet for eg
activation time of the main attack (spit) 1s
it is projectile so it takes even more before it hit the target
if the target moves 2 steps away it is out of range = no hit = usless

a little bird got 2k vitality while a big cat 1.3k only great logic imo
it is the bird who must have the less hp and be more evasive since it fly
the pet got low enough armor so the lil bit more hp wont make it too strong
you know why ? because even my bear can die fast if a player decide to kill it or if it gets hit 2-3 times max in dungeon by aoe or something ofc i won’t waste heal for it because in the next second i might be the one who need it
atm the best way to use pet is on passive so i can get 5% dmg from the ranger runes

anyway i’ll wait for patch in the future that will actually fix some of our main problems

SFR

in Ranger

Posted by: xWraith.4651

xWraith.4651

not gonna play this for long~
i am a level 80 ranger, quite dedicated to this class, but i am disgust at the moment.
thief is op, warrior is op, ranger is at the bottom of the food chain!
you can still be pro as a ranger but mostly because of your skills, but if you use those skills on a warrior or thief, you can be unbeatable~
arena net made no changes~
except some kitteny updates just for the looks and so they can say they worked on ranger a lil bit~

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

not gonna play this for long~
i am a level 80 ranger, quite dedicated to this class, but i am disgust at the moment.
thief is op, warrior is op, ranger is at the bottom of the food chain!
you can still be pro as a ranger but mostly because of your skills, but if you use those skills on a warrior or thief, you can be unbeatable~
arena net made no changes~
except some kitteny updates just for the looks and so they can say they worked on ranger a lil bit~

Sadly thats how I Feel also. Someone said to me that anet didnt wanna disrupt the meta of tpvp atm so they held off on our buffs and fixes. If that is the case Im quite angry about it. They would rather keep rangers chained down and out of tpvp completely over making us viable. Thats stupid on so many levels. I made a thread about a couple small changes anet could make in the next update that would make us viable atleast with several builds, and ofc the thread got deleted. Im still playing ranger because I love medium armor, longbows, and the feel of it. I just hate being weaker than every other class. I go on other classes and wow people, I go on ranger and the only thing that wows people there is my birds damage, its sad when people are more impressed by my bird than my gameplay and character.

in Ranger

Posted by: sethdil.5184

sethdil.5184

So this is the “BIG” ranger fix they kept promising?

Here is a complete fix for all the players of rangers; Delete your ranger so you will not be tempted to waste time back with the broken class, roll a Warrior(the uber class) and enjoy their world.

Problem solved!

in Ranger

Posted by: keelaunaw.3285

keelaunaw.3285

wheres the 1. TEETH or PUNCH in the bow shots. or the 2. CAMOUFLAGE STEALTH a person with nature should have, or the 3. PETS HEALING US when we are down instead of just running over to stand on us…..just basic improvements, man? you got all this cool stuff for other classes and rangers have DIK. i quit WoW 6mos ago because of the trashed talent tree that my 5yr old nephew can play now, but if this is the garbage im gonna be stuck with in this game for this class, im considering going back to my tauren hunter. i dont like that, but i think i would prefer paying for that, rather than getting the crap beat out of me on a shoddy toon and never having any currency from constant repairs. it certainly wouldnt force me to spend real money on anything. cant believe i actually thought i might consider paying a sub for this gw2 at one time. unfreakinbelieveablely lame anet.

this isnt like we have 15-20 different choices to cycle thru when we are bouncing around deciding on the fly w/ other games, you gave us like 10-12. i can deal with that. but i wouldnt even choose these if i did have up to 20, my mounts would fill up these spaces on my hotbars.

if you had forbidden rangers from playing wvw, i would understand, because in pve you dont really notice how god-awful they are as much. only in wvw/pvp does the really glaringly bad/lack of abilities in this class shine through.

Never got bored with an MMO faster than GW2. Took 4mos.

in Ranger

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

One could say your definition of “Masters of Weaponry” is also an opinion, Being the master of weaponry could mean they never miss, they can USE every weapon out there, the have increased knowledge of weapons, and yes it could also mean they do more effective DMG. It COULD be one or a couple or all, I’m not saying your argument about unparalleled Archers is wrong but I am definitely going to point out where your masters of weaponry argument is sketchy at best according to your own arguments.

That’s my exact point: it’s too vague to expect something unless it’s clearly defined, so ‘unparalleled skill’ is an ambiguous pair of words that can be twisted to fit anyone’s meaning.
The Warrior does more damage, however the ranger can accurately fire a shortbow on the move (as someone who does archery IRL I assure you, the skill level required for firing on the move starts at ‘alarmingly good’ and you’ll still be rubbish at actually hitting anything then). The Ranger has more ‘skill-shots’: aiming for the head, the legs. The warrior’s got one skill like that, the rest are general ‘fire at them and hope you hit’ or AoE ‘bomb on a stick’ style ones. The ranger in contrast is consistently hitting specific parts of the target. Once again, that takes skill.

I get your side of the argument, I really do. However, to restate a point I’ve raised several times in several threads: during the first Beta event, rangers could beat a warrior 1v1.

Very. First. Thing. Nerfed.

So shrieking like a howler monkey that’s just sat on a spiked hot plate for a damage buff to match/exceed the Warrior isn’t going to change anything. The ranger is clearly not supposed to win on their own against a warrior.
If only rangers had another damage source to help even things out… maybe one that did, say, about 40% more damage to help even things out. It would need to fit the ranger thematically, so maybe an animal. It could be called, say, an animal companion

Sarcasm aside, the animal companion by extension of the unpalatable (for some) truth that rangers are Very Unlikely to ever match warrior damage 1 on 1, has got to pick up the slack. Currently the pet’s got some Issues, some of them quite rotten. That is where the ranger really needs love. Demanding/hoping/begging/expecting a damage buff to match the class designed to be the best with weapons is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Remember what I said above: First. Thing. Nerfed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lwio.7942

Lwio.7942

I came over from Lotro where I had a top level hunter, nearly all the gear v good stats. I seen the ranger on here but the pet put me off but I thought I’d give it a go anyway.
The ranger most definitely is dps lacking. On lotro in pve without a pet and at full range I can down an on level warrior before he reaches me on gw2 I get him down to maybe 1/2 – 3/4 he just runs past the pet on GW2. I think we should be able to kill things before they get to us, you are hitting a creature with 10 or more arrows.
Now people will say you can’t compare the two because the pet makes up for this difference but the fact is it’s not. It gets ignored and in only a few cases it’s useful, one of them is distracting guards whilst I run in and get a poi or whatever. Yea great.
So I have a suggestion for the devs go over to Lotro and see how the hunter performs there, in pve it is a great class to play the ranger on gw2 is just so-so with a stupid annoying pet.
I can’t comment on pvp because I don’t play it.

in Ranger

Posted by: lox.2895

lox.2895

This update was a complete disappointment for rangers. I have no clue what the dev were thinking when they thought this was enough to make rangers somewhat viable (strictly talking sPvP). Here are my issues with the profession…

Longbow – This is one of the rangers few direct damage weapons and it fails and everything it does. Damage scaling has to go. So far the only gametype we have is conquer and fighting off point is beyond stupid. The auto attack is too slow. Also it needs to have a chain skill (possibly 3rd skill in the chain applies a cripple). Almost 1/2 of shots with the LB get obstructed making it useless. Lastly, over all damage with the weapon is too low.

Greatsword – The story here is not much different then the Longbow. The great sword is trying to be too many things at once. Usually each weapon has a certain role they play (for example, great sword for warrior is used for damage and mobility). The greatsword for ranger is used for mobility, cc, conditions and damage. Those are far to many roles at once, making it weak in any one particular role. The skills need to changed in order it can be used viably for 1 or 2 given roles not all of them. BWE1 great sword ranger was better but the damage simply needed to be toned down a little, ever since the patch from there, it has been killed. Autoattack damage – add chain skill.

Traits – The ranger traits are all over place making it extremely difficult to have your skills/weapons/traits synergies.

Pets – Whats to say? A pet rock that doesn’t move might actually be more useful.

I gave ranger a shot (played from BWE1). Its too frustrating to play a profession that is not viable in any team composition. The way the updates have been rolling out it seems it will stay this way a long time.

in Ranger

Posted by: Byjorne.3496

Byjorne.3496

This update was a complete disappointment for rangers. I have no clue what the dev were thinking when they thought this was enough to make rangers somewhat viable (strictly talking sPvP). Here are my issues with the profession…

Longbow – This is one of the rangers few direct damage weapons and it fails and everything it does. Damage scaling has to go. So far the only gametype we have is conquer and fighting off point is beyond stupid. The auto attack is too slow. Also it needs to have a chain skill (possibly 3rd skill in the chain applies a cripple). Almost 1/2 of shots with the LB get obstructed making it useless. Lastly, over all damage with the weapon is too low.

Greatsword – The story here is not much different then the Longbow. The great sword is trying to be too many things at once. Usually each weapon has a certain role they play (for example, great sword for warrior is used for damage and mobility). The greatsword for ranger is used for mobility, cc, conditions and damage. Those are far to many roles at once, making it weak in any one particular role. The skills need to changed in order it can be used viably for 1 or 2 given roles not all of them. BWE1 great sword ranger was better but the damage simply needed to be toned down a little, ever since the patch from there, it has been killed. Autoattack damage – add chain skill.

Traits – The ranger traits are all over place making it extremely difficult to have your skills/weapons/traits synergies.

Pets – Whats to say? A pet rock that doesn’t move might actually be more useful.

I gave ranger a shot (played from BWE1). Its too frustrating to play a profession that is not viable in any team composition. The way the updates have been rolling out it seems it will stay this way a long time.

this pretty much sums up my issues with the ranger

and john just because you think that the weapons aren’t an issue, doesn’t mean they aren’t , especially when 90 of people who mainly played as a ranger are saying it is an issue that means it is an issue, and why bother buffing aquatic rangers only<25 of the game is underwater so just buffing our aquatic abilities is useless for >75% of our ranger’s experience of the game. and John the warrior is ok at the moment you put the warrior on the back-burner if it would move your team’s focus on more pressing balance issues for example rangers and from what I’ve heard a bit for the necromancer.

in Ranger

Posted by: MarcusKilgannon.5048

MarcusKilgannon.5048

Well my ranger still is useless. Guess I’m going back to Halo 4 until next patch and hopefully then it will be worth playing him.

So disappointing, I haven’t even played the new PvP map yet either which saddens me. I just cannot stand doing one more dam conquest variant for a while. At least spirits are somewhat being addressed, they needed it badly.

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

This is more pathetic than my worst imagination…

HOW THE HELL IS THIS SUBSTANTIAL?

It’s not and they know it. Their silence is proof.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security