Godly ranger here...my gosh...his skills

in Ranger

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

The strongest most composed ranger I have ever seen.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

No disrespect to this person, but really? It’s pretty average gameplay, to be honest. I see a lot of room for improvement.

Low tier music, though.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: GodSpeedFist.8642

GodSpeedFist.8642

No disrespect to this person, but really? It’s pretty average gameplay, to be honest. I see a lot of room for improvement.

same opinion here…
In my own personal opinion these guys are much better… although some are on a different situation as Lord Hizen(WvW)..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7lzhNv7H_Mi2x8nGUUSkyg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQnqogKzBRVOuVepq_TVLIA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDkpRu6gQIolosngxMcO-AQ

Cecilla Alcotte(Ranger)
Fatina Flameheart(Elementalist)
GodSpeedFist(Thief)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

If your are interested in that kind of power build, watch hiro stream. He plays much better. His opponents are better too.

I can’t watch someone dodge roll twice at 1500 range again and again. Or knockback someone with stab again and again. A montage with basic mistakes peppered through it should be called average at best.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvt Frosty.6973

Pvt Frosty.6973

That’s the thing in GW2 unfortunately, everyone plays against everyone, there is not a single way to safely play with people your skill Level.

Feelings of Grandeur arise in situations they wouldn’t in other games^^

Pretty nice to have a longer video though for once ^^

Just Filthy Kasuals – Bowscoooped!
YouTube / Twitch

in Ranger

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

No disrespect, but…

> WvW
> godly
Choose one.

The gameplay is slow, the opponents are average at best and it is all in the WvW environment. Wish there were VODs of the actual good rangers playing PvP like some you see in SoloQ on EU and NA. That would give people some perspective.
I enjoyed the video nonetheless.

Leman

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

If your are interested in that kind of power build, watch hiro stream. He plays much better. His opponents are better too.

I can’t watch someone dodge roll twice at 1500 range again and again. Or knockback someone with stab again and again. A montage with basic mistakes peppered through it should be called average at best.

This

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

No disrespect, but…

> WvW
> godly
Choose one.

The gameplay is slow, the opponents are average at best and it is all in the WvW environment. Wish there were VODs of the actual good rangers playing PvP like some you see in SoloQ on EU and NA. That would give people some perspective.

This arrogant ”PvP is superior” attitude is getting old. I’ve found great fighters in WvW and pvp, I’ve also found terrible players in both. Neither mode makes you a superior fighter.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

This arrogant ”PvP is superior” attitude is getting old. I’ve found great fighters in WvW and pvp, I’ve also found terrible players in both. Neither mode makes you a superior fighter.

It takes longer to get very good at fighting while roaming in WvW than it does in PvP. A lot of the good WvWers you’ve probably seen, most likely PvP a lot. However, while that is not always the case, it applies to the majority of them.

Also, yeah this gameplay is average. Nothing too special in terms of skill but decent nonetheless.

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Arricson Krei.9560

Arricson Krei.9560

No disrespect, but…

> WvW
> godly
Choose one.

The reason why sPvP is superior to WvW is because it is standardized. I find that a lot of WvW folk are carried by food, oil, guard stacks, etc. In WvW, players aren’t limited by the variety of runes which gives them the opportunity to use runes like Rune of Perplexity (although I’m sure not many run exclusive runes). Even some have full ascended with mighty infusions, yielding about 5 permanent might stacks (considering they use versatile mighty infusions), in addition to the small bonuses to weapon damage and armor rating. Also, players are free to easily build, say, Bloodlust stacks beforehand.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

No disrespect, but…

> WvW
> godly
Choose one.

The reason why sPvP is superior to WvW is because it is standardized. I find that a lot of WvW folk are carried by food, oil, guard stacks, etc. In WvW, players aren’t limited by the variety of runes which gives them the opportunity to use runes like Rune of Perplexity (although I’m sure not many run exclusive runes). Even some have full ascended with mighty infusions, yielding about 5 permanent might stacks (considering they use versatile mighty infusions), in addition to the small bonuses to weapon damage and armor rating.

WvW players aren’t carried by their stats anymore than pvp players are. The dumbed downed stats of the pvp system is a large part of the reason why cele ele’s are kitten ed near unkillable in pvp.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

Is this whole “carried by food/stats” thing something people tell themselves so they feel better about dying in WvW?

Why is it always assumed that it’s lop-sided? Why can’t both players have food and ascended stats? Most of your good roamers have devoted the resources to getting all that stuff too, so it’s still a level playing field. And as Puck said, some of the really ridiculous sPvP builds can be dealt with a little more easily by being able to mix’n’match stats (or by not losing if you don’t stand on a point.)

There are great players in both battlefields. How ‘bout we don’t detract from anyone that’s doing well?

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Wow, the guy who made the video has a very high opinion of himself at least…. Seems like this montage was made purely as an ego booster. Mostly I watch Ranger montages and they are not like that at all. Sad.

in Ranger

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Is this whole “carried by food/stats” thing something people tell themselves so they feel better about dying in WvW?

Why is it always assumed that it’s lop-sided? Why can’t both players have food and ascended stats? Most of your good roamers have devoted the resources to getting all that stuff too, so it’s still a level playing field. And as Puck said, some of the really ridiculous sPvP builds can be dealt with a little more easily by being able to mix’n’match stats (or by not losing if you don’t stand on a point.)

There are great players in both battlefields. How ‘bout we don’t detract from anyone that’s doing well?

People are carried by their builds in both PvP and WvW to an extent, but there are a couple of differences, in WvW it is that much worse because you have stuff that adds further to the imbalance like food, oil/stones, perplexity runes, dire gear, etc.

Then on top of that you have that the game was designed and balanced around tPvP, so certain things, stealth for example which in tPvP is balanced to an extent by not being able to capture / contest the nodes and by making endlessly resetting a fight a poor use of your time when the score is continually ticking along, whilst stealth in WvW has neither of those constraints, so becomes broken OP for roaming.

But really it is neither here nor there, the combat in this game does not have a high skill cap, what separates good players / teams in PvP from the mediocre are things like map awareness, decisions on when, where and whom to rotate, etc.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

Had to stop watching. Hizen should spend some time learning to prioritize his actions in a duel. Such as, don’t dodge if you don’t need to. Or, don’t blow through utilities. Everything on your bar should have a purpose and should be used in that way. Then he truly could fight with patience and composure.

The number of times just in the first couple minutes of fights that everything from his heal to elite was on cd. If any of his opponents had pressed him even a little…….

in Ranger

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Arrogant? I’m just being realistic.
Some facts from the EU high-end sPvP/MMR (mostly soloQ):

• standardisation – it is definitely a thing. Some of the rune sets/sigils are unavailable in PvP. Buffs/food definitely throw the metagame more into imbalance.
  • areas in PvP are smaller and force a requirement of better positioning/LoS and basically a faster gameplay (beautifuly shown by the OP with his slow reaction time).
  • I’d say there are some good WvW players, even some amazing ones (like Sindrener who started in WvW, but transferred to PvP and is seeing a great success; disclaimer: when he first came to PvP, he was slightly above average IIRC).
  • It’s difficult to generalize, but fact is WvW environment does not perpetuate a long-term skill increase directly because of the extremely uneven playing field and relatively low skill-ceiling (the most hardcore/fast/skilled players play PvP) which then skew the perception of WvW players (Dunning–Kruger effect).

Bonus:
My experience on necro a year ago (after Dhuumfire nerfs and before recent buffs, which I consider to be the worst time for necros since the release) was that I was able to kill fully stacked/buffed roamers in T1 matchups on EU without distibuting my points, eating any food and without using my utilities and heal. Obviously, I have never played WvW religously (because of the very reasons I outlined in this post and because it is just too easy for me), but my experience has always been just straight up faceroll against anything and everything). Moreover, my buddy who’s one of the top PvP thieves on EU was dueling a ‘pro’ WvW roamer thief and was able to kill him using only sword or only shortbow. The skill gap is that huge.

I was not attacking anyone, but since you were quite aggressive with your reply, I felt obliged to give a more thorough answer. I’d say backed on my experience that skill-level distribution is just skewed to the left in case of WvW players (attachment) because of the reasons I gave.

I will wait for your reply and some counter arguments backed by experience.

Attachments:

Leman

(edited by leman.7682)

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

This doesn’t hold water ^^

If you follow it with this ^^. You are being arrogant and condescending. Presenting your anecdotal experiences and opinions as facts doesn’t make them so.

I pvp and wvw nearly the same amount everyday.

Yes, there absolutely are more varieties of imbalanced stat combinations in WvW then there are in PvP, because of both gear and food and guard buffs. While that means you could be fully buffed fighting a fully unbuffed target, the reverse is also true: you could have a real 2.5k hp handicap. Or maybe your opponent is running plus-condi food and your choice of food was not minus-condi. Or maybe, god forbid, you are both equally matched? End result: More variety in stat combinations doesn’t negatively impact the skill of WvW players, because their opponents can also have equal or better stats. If anything, it provides a unique opportunity to have opponents with much stronger stats than you.

There are also varieties of players in WvW, just like in pvp. You could come across some unskilled newb, or some zergling in his zerg spec that’s terrible for 1v1 but great for the zerg, or some roamer in an incredibly imbalanced 1v1 spec (some PU-condi-perplex mesmer with tons of stealth). In pvp, maybe you will come across a far point assaulter built to kill you. But just as often you will come across a guy who is there for an easy daily chest, or a bunker who absolutely can’t kill you because he’s just designed to buy time on a point, or a roamer who absolutely can’t kill you because he’s just designed to be a fast moving decapper or +1, or a support who absolutely can’t kill you because he’s just their to buff the team fighters at mid. End result: In PvP the vast majority of players are not built to win a 1v1, they are built for their role on the team. The probability that the lone player you run into on a capture point is built to win a 1v1 is about the same (in my anecdotal experience) that the lone person I find on a bloodlust ruin will be built for 1v1.

The real differentiators, IMO, are frequency and group purpose.

In sPvP, you absolutely have a greater frequency of fights than you ever will roaming. Does that make you better? Hard to say. If you are bunkering home and fighting a real duelist who is coming to assault the point, your skill as a bunker absolutely doesn’t translate to being a duelist in WvW, because you are some silly cheese cant-be-readily-killed-solo point holding spec and you wouldn’t use that for 1vX in WvW. If you are a far point capper designed to out duel the bunker, does that make you better? Hard to say. Fighting a bunker that can’t kill you is not dangerous, hard or skillful and will not improve your play. It only becomes so if the bunker gets help. Because of frequency and small map size, help is pretty common, so in those cases you do learn a lot, or in some cases the point is not defended by a bunker because of group comp. End result: the increased frequency of fights in PvP can make you better at 1vX faster than WvW if you are playing the roll of far point assaulter. Advantage to sPvP.

Group role: this is a biggy. In sPvP, the group role at mid is to hold mid. In WvW, a GvG or havoc team’s role is to kill other havoc or GvG groups. For PvP that means coordinating burst and living long enough for someone to rotate in, and if the fights not going well, apply pressure at other points as fast as possible. For WvW, that means all that plus completely killing all your enemies with no rotations, no holding out for reinforcements, and very possibly one side also has the benefit of NPC’s. Advantage to WvW.

Those are just my experiences. I’m not so high and mighty to push them off as facts that apply to everyone.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

No disrespect, but…

> WvW
> godly
Choose one.

I plan on making videos and post them on youtube once I get another hard drive to save my twitch gameplay!

There is definitely alot of room for improvement for the ranger from the video. It almost looks like he’s walking on a straight line while facing other players.

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

(edited by Skullface.7293)

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Some facts from the EU high-end sPvP/MMR (mostly soloQ):

• standardisation – it is definitely a thing. Some of the rune sets/sigils are unavailable in PvP. Buffs/food definitely throw the metagame more into imbalance.
  • areas in PvP are smaller and force a requirement of better positioning/LoS and basically a faster gameplay (beautifuly shown by the OP with his slow reaction time).
  • I’d say there are some good WvW players, even some amazing ones (like Sindrener who started in WvW, but transferred to PvP and is seeing a great success; disclaimer: when he first came to PvP, he was slightly above average IIRC).
  • It’s difficult to generalize, but fact is WvW environment does not perpetuate a long-term skill increase directly because of the extremely uneven playing field and relatively low skill-ceiling (the most hardcore/fast/skilled players play PvP) which then skew the perception of WvW players (Dunning–Kruger effect).

Bonus:
My experience on necro a year ago (after Dhuumfire nerfs and before recent buffs, which I consider to be the worst time for necros since the release) was that I was able to kill fully stacked/buffed roamers in T1 matchups on EU without distibuting my points, eating any food and without using my utilities and heal. Obviously, I have never played WvW religously (because of the very reasons I outlined in this post and because it is just too easy for me), but my experience has always been just straight up faceroll against anything and everything). Moreover, my buddy who’s one of the top PvP thieves on EU was dueling a ‘pro’ WvW roamer thief and was able to kill him using only sword or only shortbow. The skill gap is that huge.

I was not attacking anyone, but since you were quite aggressive with your reply, I felt obliged to give a more thorough answer. I’d say backed on my experience that skill-level distribution is just skewed to the left in case of WvW players (attachment) because of the reasons I gave.

I don’t have a dog in this fight but this is such a old argument / debate and it gets tiring to read over and over again. Too much personal opinion and biasness. We need more cow bell.

WvW != sPvP just like sPvP != WvW. Different formats of play but it doesn’t mean one is better than the other or player A is better than player B.

/sigh

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sisyphus.4237

Sisyphus.4237

Throwny Is Bae ~ DROOID Kek Ez Pz [Toez]
Not Throwny is literally Not Me.
Aspect GG Admin.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sisyphus.4237

Sisyphus.4237

Hiros twitch stream is twitch.tv/hirothebeast just incase anyone was wondering

Throwny Is Bae ~ DROOID Kek Ez Pz [Toez]
Not Throwny is literally Not Me.
Aspect GG Admin.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Not to criticize or anything but I had better fights back when I was a clicker. Atleast I knew what strafing is.

On hehe, I find short vid I made that I think illustrates what some are thinking about this montage op.
https://youtu.be/CyC-dsQyl-w

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Unless i am misreading it, it doesnt look like there are any past broadcasts. sort its sort of pointless unless someone happens to catch him live.

I never really understood the streamers who dont post any of their videos after theyve aired. why limit your audience to people who want to watch you live only?

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Skullface.7293

Unless i am misreading it, it doesnt look like there are any past broadcasts. sort its sort of pointless unless someone happens to catch him live.

I never really understood the streamers who dont post any of their videos after theyve aired. why limit your audience to people who want to watch you live only?

At the moment I can’t record my past broadcasts because I simply need another hard drive, which I recently ordered. I’ll record my streams every time once I get it I can promise you that!

Hiro || Talgo

in Ranger

Posted by: Nicknobreak.7543

Nicknobreak.7543

Portga D Ace is a really good WvW ranger. He hasn’t posted any new videos post specializing patch though. I did learn a lot about positioning and rotation from his videos.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

At the moment I can’t record my past broadcasts because I simply need another hard drive, which I recently ordered. I’ll record my streams every time once I get it I can promise you that!

Turn on or view the videos from auto archive.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Skullface.7293

Turn on or view the videos from auto archive.

Oh wow thanks man! I’m still a noob when it comes to twitch.

Hiro || Talgo

in Ranger

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

random sarcasm lost

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140