Good traits/pets for Silverwastes events?

in Ranger

Posted by: rahidz.1406

rahidz.1406

Playing a longbow ranger, and wondering what pets and traits y’all find handy in the Wastes (and against specific bosses), or if they’re all pretty much equal.

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

There I usually go with a spider (long rage + immob) and with a drake (good damage/tank ratio).

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Events: I tend to have a strong dps pet (cat/bird) and always a drake to swap for the aoe f2/combo finisher blast (only type of pets to have blast). Krytan Drakehound is nice for the f2 aoe cripple lockdown on a 20sec cd.

Breach: This depends on the boss encounter, and if you can even keep the pet alive in the 1st place. I like to swap bird out for Jungle Stalker and keep on passive just for f2 might boon.

VW mobs: I usually use Krytan Drakehound & Ice Drake to help slow (aoe chill/cripple) down mobs that are after the carrier. The Ice Drake will also have a blast finisher for the fire fields.

VW: Well keeping your pet alive can be more trouble than it’s worth. Before VW I get out of combat and swap in dps petsx2. Save your Jungle Stalker for the burn phases to help with might stacks.

I like glassbow 6/6/2/0/0

Hope it helps~

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

in Ranger

Posted by: rahidz.1406

rahidz.1406

Clever ideas, thank you very much both of you. Had the Jungle Stalker as well, but never thought of setting it to passive so it always died during boss encounters. Haven’t tried the Drakehound yet and Ice Drake has been helpful this far.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

I’ll either go a variation on our meta dungeon build (i use variations of this for most open world/story content)
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJATRjEq0yaBL+rw1ag9gadAEwNA3OYE8tFZ8TJyeA-T1RBABXp8DPdBEt/AAXCgHeCAUq+jZKBBA-w

or something a bit more resistant/great sword orientated
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJATRjEq0yaBLmsw1ag9gaVA0eIuhs19WcEtdG/UisH-T1RBABXp8DPdBEt/AAXCgHeCAUq+jZKBBA-w

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

What I personally use in the Silverwastes

Only things to note:

• Swap out Muddy Terrain for Quickening Zephyr during Breach and Vinewrath
  • Swap to Spiders/Devourers for bosses: Copper, Iron, Platinum, Beekeeper, Darkwing
  • Bring a Spider/Devourer and a Bird for Gold & Silver, use the ranged pet during the roar and the DPS pet during the stun
  • Swap to Drakes during Vinewrath Lane Defense and Mangler

Mangler Specific Build
During the phase when the Mangler retreats to the back of the room is the only time I use longbow, otherwise, I sword up and fill in the gaps between Guardian Walls and Mesmer Feedbacks with Whirling Defense.

Use Drake F2s to bounce around so they can damage the boss and nearby pustules. Also, pets are going to be stunned regardless if they are inside the Mangler’s shadow, so swap pets right after the stun.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

Events: I tend to have a strong dps pet (cat/bird) and always a drake to swap for the aoe f2/combo finisher blast (only type of pets to have blast). Krytan Drakehound is nice for the f2 aoe cripple lockdown on a 20sec cd.

Breach: This depends on the boss encounter, and if you can even keep the pet alive in the 1st place. I like to swap bird out for Jungle Stalker and keep on passive just for f2 might boon.

VW mobs: I usually use Krytan Drakehound & Ice Drake to help slow (aoe chill/cripple) down mobs that are after the carrier. The Ice Drake will also have a blast finisher for the fire fields.

VW: Well keeping your pet alive can be more trouble than it’s worth. Before VW I get out of combat and swap in dps petsx2. Save your Jungle Stalker for the burn phases to help with might stacks.

I like glassbow 6/6/2/0/0

Hope it helps~

+1. Dang, we could almost be twins.

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I focus on control during events. So i take intimidation training and pull out drakehound for some sweet, short cd aoe cripple. For second pet i like to take wolf or black bear, generally something with aoe F2 and short cooldown if possible. And hey if it’s got control of it’s own, awesome.

Then there’s muddy terrain, barrage and entangle. And if that still doesn’t strike your sadistic fancy, there are traps too, particularly frost trap and spike trap.

You may also choose to take boar for some interrupts instead of movement control.
As far as we’re going there i’d suggest shortbow as 2nd weapon if you intend to keep your distance. A fast,reliable cc on #5 for those annoying leechers or any danger that can’t wait, and short, but also very fast cripple on #4.

Plus all those bleeds you can rack up from auto attack vs those annoying husks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

One Moa for fury buff, and one Drake for AOE.