Greatsword + Sword/Dagger Beastmaster viable?

in Ranger

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

So, there are a few specific skins for Greatsword and Dagger that I really, really like.

I also like the concept of the Ranger’s pet. Partly because it seems like a rather versatile mechanic, with many different effects and roles (damage, tanking, support) available, and partly because I’m a friendless loser and that virtual companion fills a void in my life that I can otherwise never realistically fill!

So, I’d like input from more experienced Rangers out there… How could I make something work within those confines? Seems to me like it’d be along the lines of one of those bunker beastmaster builds, but I’m not even entirely certain how those work. Could be that I should be using an entirely different approach!

My primary intention is just PvE and, occasionally, dungeons. I enjoy WvW, but I’m admittedly pretty easily overwhelmed in fast-paced duels, and to my knowledge, Ranger is kitten-poor in zerg scenarios. I’d love to be told I’m wrong on that, though. Alternatively, I could just try to get better at fast-paced fights. Maybe head into PvP for practice or something.

Anyway, question asked! Hopefully someone else has ideas, because I’m not quite up to snuff on every little consideration that has to be made in GW2 for a successful build.

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

BM traits are not so strong in PvE. Sword/Dagger is ok, but a warhorn is better for buffs.
GS is the second best choice if u can´t use the mainhand sword.

And u should switch your traits at least. U can´t have one! “good” build in PvE and WvsW.

(edited by Norjena.5172)

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Power builds are a bit lacking at the moment for ranger, although I don’t see why you couldn’t try one.

Beastmaster has been working out alright for me, although I run a 0/10/30/0/30 build focusing on conditions. Might be able to shuffle it around to something more power oriented.

in Ranger

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

So, there are a few specific skins for Greatsword and Dagger that I really, really like.

I also like the concept of the Ranger’s pet. Partly because it seems like a rather versatile mechanic, with many different effects and roles (damage, tanking, support) available, and partly because I’m a friendless loser and that virtual companion fills a void in my life that I can otherwise never realistically fill!

So, I’d like input from more experienced Rangers out there… How could I make something work within those confines? Seems to me like it’d be along the lines of one of those bunker beastmaster builds, but I’m not even entirely certain how those work. Could be that I should be using an entirely different approach!

My primary intention is just PvE and, occasionally, dungeons. I enjoy WvW, but I’m admittedly pretty easily overwhelmed in fast-paced duels, and to my knowledge, Ranger is kitten-poor in zerg scenarios. I’d love to be told I’m wrong on that, though. Alternatively, I could just try to get better at fast-paced fights. Maybe head into PvP for practice or something.

Anyway, question asked! Hopefully someone else has ideas, because I’m not quite up to snuff on every little consideration that has to be made in GW2 for a successful build.

If your aim for now is PVE and farming Dungeons, Sword and Greatsword is a good choice due to their mobility that they provide.

I find my self using mostly sword in PVE and dungeons because of its DPS damage. If you want to do damage as a Ranger sword is your only good choice that are on par with other classes.

Greatsword is a good utility weapon, mostly defensive and mobility that are good for running from mobs in dungeons, you’ll be using this one a lot. (ex: ascalon catacombs, twilight arbor, crucible of eternity.)

But if you want to have synergy with your teammate best to use Warhorn with your sword because of its blast finisher utility. Its a good combo with Elementalist who stack up or put down fire fields for area might, Mesmer chaos field for area Chaos armor. Most importantly area healing from your Healing Spring.

Your second best choice would be Axe off hand, Axe #4 skill provides heavy damage if you hit twice with it. Its equivalent to Longbow skill #4 but higher damage, very useful in Ascalon burrows together with your auto attack sword.

Dagger is mostly for condition spec builds, if you want condition this is required. But i dont see a lot of people running this in power build. I personally only use dagger in PVP Tournament, never in PVE.

Like the above mentioned, if eventually you will run WVW its better to have different gears in game, dont just run 1 gear set. Later on you’ll never know, what ANet has in set for Rangers. Good luck. Feel free to add me in game if you have any questions.

Success is my only option, failure is not.

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Power builds are a bit lacking at the moment for ranger, although I don’t see why you couldn’t try one.

Beastmaster has been working out alright for me, although I run a 0/10/30/0/30 build focusing on conditions. Might be able to shuffle it around to something more power oriented.

Hes talking mainlyabout PvE.
And in PvE powerbuilds aren´t lacking, they are the only viable and usefull builds.

Dagger offhand ist ok for PvE, good and easy to use evade. And skill 5 ist a small dps win.
But Warhorn/Axe are usually better because of their utility.

(edited by Norjena.5172)