Greatsword auto does less dmg than sword

in Ranger

Posted by: len.7809

len.7809

The ranger’s Greatsword autoattack with the greatsword +5% dmg trait does less damage than a Sword auto without trait. Is it how sud it be? because another classes that can equip a Greatsword does more auto damage than Swords.

Guardian
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Strike greatsword auto 323 dmg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sword_of_Wrath sword auto 293 dmg

Warrior
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Greatsword_Swing greatsword auto 282 dmg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sever_Artery sword auto 220 dmg

Ranger
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Slash_ 222 dmg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Slash_ 257 dmg

PS: Im not adding mesmer because mesmer greatsword attack is ranged attack.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

They think the evade in the auto attack justifies the low damage.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Ranger

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

I undertsand why, GS is a mainly a defesnive wepaon with good burst damage, cides that evade frame is pretty long and can be proced twice, either way GS on ranger is not ment to be good for sustained damage sword is supposed to take that niche

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Imho, they should add the +5% damage from Two-Handed Training to greatsword as base, increase the Fury duration from the trait from 3 seconds to 5 seconds and increase the chance on hit from 50% to 66%.

Would be a nice buff to both the trait and to greatsword without changing much on either of them.

I do agree with Eleazar though, greatsword is a defensive weapon. Sword should keep it’s DPS role while greatsword maintains it’s passive and burst role.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

increase the Fury duration from the trait from 3 seconds to 5 seconds and increase the chance on hit from 50% to 66%.

I’d rather see an ICD reduction, to make it even better for remorseless builds.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t see a problem with this. Ranger GS skills are not related to other profession GS skills, so the comparison isn’t valid.

in Ranger

Posted by: Matt Stacey.7415

Matt Stacey.7415

GS AA has less DPS than sword? This just in: obvious information

in Ranger

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

I undertsand why, GS is a mainly a defesnive wepaon with good burst damage, cides that evade frame is pretty long and can be proced twice, either way GS on ranger is not ment to be good for sustained damage sword is supposed to take that niche

The only problem that I have with it is that greatsword is the one with the “rush in” gap closing attack, which seems at odds with it being a defensive weapon. Meanwhile the sword’s main movement skill is a gap maker unless you jump through a hoop every time that you use it.

It’s a bit weird.

in Ranger

Posted by: Maritel.8763

Maritel.8763

I always thought it was weird, thematically, that a greatsword does less damage than a sword.

Maybe you can justify making it slower and thus lower dps, but its attacks should hit more, because it’s literally a two-handed sword.

in Ranger

Posted by: len.7809

len.7809

Ok, I get it. It’s a defensive weapon with good burst damage, BUT, “Greatsword — A brute force, heavy-damage weapon with emphasis on countering and evasion.”.

(I’m emphasing on wvw, and pvp)

Gs4 for blocking dmg and strike back when the target is close to you, and you conter back with Gs5 and then gs2.

But gs3 evasion… 0.5 seconds of evasion and 1.25 seconds of the cast time you could get hit, even the sword 3 and dagger 4 has higher evasion time, and they are not emphased on evasion.

Now the AA that is what I came for.
Swapping weapon takes 9seconds.
What we use gs are basically gs4 gs3 gs2 3s + 1.75s + 0.75s if we use those 3 skills = 5.5s and 3.5 s doing nothing, we could use the gs chain that takes 2.56s (the animation takes that <via wiki>). Some one wud say 5.5 ~~ 6s + 2.56s = 8.56s and u could swap weapon again. But we don’t really use AA chain.

When will you swap to GS on ranger?
When the enemy comes melee.
-You will block the attacks and the rush away or stun it and burst with gs2
if you are low hp
-block with gs4 or daze with gs5 and running away with gs3. You won’t use 111 to get that 1s evasion, you dodge. And it’s not easy to complete the third chain hit.

When u use gs1?
When the enemy is low and can’t run away,you are on GS and your swapping weapons is on cd.
Will you use 111 to evade damage when he is chasing you? Clearly not. U use gs4 and gs3 and run like a kitten.

In summary:
Gs1 chain is useless, deals no dmg and ppl don’t use it for that 1s evasion.
Gs5 only stun if hit from behind, kinda useless.

Gs has 2 useless skills for me, they could make gs gives defensive boons (gs gives no boons to ranger, sad)

Sorry for long post, here is a potato.
Please ’ insert potato.jpg’

in Ranger

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Hey, if you find the skills useless, you got other weapons to choose from. I don’t see a problem here to be honest. It’s an unreasonable goal for Anet to make every weapon something to everyone in every game mode.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

Dude gs is just so much more than just running away. In fact it’s a great warrior and teef killer. The auto is amazing try the double evade trick to the point were you can use it in fights, it will change your life.

other than the bugged hilt bash, gs is a well designed weapon in its current form (it’s been buffed by 60% since the games launch)

If they were to buff I would just want a small attack speed increase

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

I don’t think they could increase attack speed and still keep the evade frames the same, you would end up evading everything by just using AA. i’d like a buff to GS damage but don’t see it happening. I use GS when i get a bad Pug group or in PVP for the evades and defensive skills. swoop, if timed properly, can be used to evade most attacks. couple that with a few AA evades and a block or daze and you’ve got yourself a kitten defensive weapon.

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

GS AA really needs to be buffed cuz its terrible. Other GS skills are pretty fine I think (except from the #5 bug).

in Ranger

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

I don’t think they could increase attack speed and still keep the evade frames the same, you would end up evading everything by just using AA. i’d like a buff to GS damage but don’t see it happening. I use GS when i get a bad Pug group or in PVP for the evades and defensive skills. swoop, if timed properly, can be used to evade most attacks. couple that with a few AA evades and a block or daze and you’ve got yourself a kitten defensive weapon.

On paper GS has great defense, but in reality those defensive skills are quite unreliable (in a PvP setting). The evade on AA can’t be used to reactively avoid skills because it is not aviable on demand and due to the low dmg of the chain it is often not worth to use the autoattack at all. Swoop can be easily interrupted before the evade part of the skill. Counterattack is often useless or even detrimental against melee attacks from opponents with stab or against attacks that evade while dealing dmg or against multiple targets (which can include clones and pets) because you have no control over the self-rooting knockback.

I still like GS and use it a lot in WvW, but against good players with good builds it has too much counterplay (which wouldn’t be a problem, if other weapons/builds would allow the same amount of counters, but unfortunately this is not the case).

(edited by UmbraNoctis.1907)

in Ranger

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

I stay in GS. Bows are for cowards

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert