Greatsword for conditions

in Ranger

Posted by: GingerSnap.5423

GingerSnap.5423

I started using the greatsword the other day. I had always wanted to use it on my ranger but i never did because i heard it was really underpowered, but since the buff it got in the patch i thought it was my time to try it.
Well, it turns out i love it and im a condition ranger. With superior earth on it, it stacks bleeds quite nicely and plus most of its attacks hit multiple targets resulting in Aoe bleeds.
So i was wondering, why dont i see more rangers using the greatsword? it seems like a pretty versatile weapon even though i’ve been lead to believe it should be only used in a tankier build. Oh and i use it alongside the shortbow, so i have the option to kite/ keep my distance if need be.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

You answered your question in an earlier paragraph.

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: The Coma Kid.5184

The Coma Kid.5184

I’d rather use axe and torch to put out conditions over a gs. And the gs doesn’t give much damage or enough bleeds for my build. I use it to travel or if I can’t hit enemies with projectiles.

Gwen Andraste – Human Elementalist
Nameless Accord [NA]
Your Cute [Babe] – Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

Greatsword has no condition damage at all besides Maul. All in all it’s quite horrible for a condition build. You’re much better off with a power build if you want to use it that badly. I’m not even entirely sure why Maul does bleed damage anyway. It’s almost as bad as the sword and the dagger.

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

Greatsword is good with a power build. It can be useful with a condition build, but you may have to sacrifice some points for Sharpened Edges and use a utility slot for Sharpening Stone if you want to make it your primary weapon.

Thinking outside the box sometimes leads to some really neat builds that are ugly on paper and beautiful in practice.

I’ve recently been using greatsword a lot for PvE (still stick with sword/dagger for PvP though).

(edited by nldixon.8514)

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Greatsword has no condition damage at all besides Maul. All in all it’s quite horrible for a condition build. You’re much better off with a power build if you want to use it that badly. I’m not even entirely sure why Maul does bleed damage anyway. It’s almost as bad as the sword and the dagger.

Bears using maul do Bleed damage, and Maul is obviously based on that (considering the Bear graphic when using it) so… I think it fits perfectly well.

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

Bears using maul do Bleed damage, and Maul is obviously based on that (considering the Bear graphic when using it) so… I think it fits perfectly well.

I’m not talking about fluff, I’m talking about the technicality behind the weapon. Why make half of a weapon’s main damage attack do condition damage when neither the autoattack nor any other attack on the weapon applies any conditions at all? It’s absurd. What would be much more in line with the weapon’s technicality would be if it made you evade or block, or made someone knock down or daze.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

The main use of a greatsword in a condition build is that you can be a stationary target. I actually use greatsword and axe/torch with flame trap, spike trap, and viper’s nest for general farming and it works great.

1) Pull everything with your axe and bunch them up.
2) Drop all 3 traps (Spike -> Flame -> Viper) and then Bonfire (Add entangle in there somewhere if you want).
3) Fire off Split Blade through as many enemies as you can.
4) Swap to Greatsword.
5) Swoop -> Maul.
6) 1 spam to win (usually takes 2-3 seconds). Edit: Pet swap here for more evades.

I AoE farm all areas of Orr that way. The only things that give me any problems are when there are too many ranged enemies and I can’t LoS to bunch them up nicely. Throwing out traps everywhere and spamming 1 on either axe or greatsword (depends on DE) makes mob tagging in DEs incredibly easy. I do swap out greatsword for shortbow on champions though.

Every other ability is situational and mostly used against veterans. I have a preoccupation with killing veteran risen giants. I just don’t like them.

Here’s the build if anyone cares: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNAR3fjEV11tVyVo2Bi2DAYeMxeAAH9oXh0XwqG

The blank traits can be filled with whatever you fancy really. Empathic Bond can be swapped for Bark Skin without much loss and might be better depending what you’re farming. You might also prefer Martial Mastery over Off-hand Mastery but I like the bigger Bonfire more than lower CD on the Greatsword. Pets can be changed to whatever you like (Edit: I would use drakes if they worked right). For gear I’m currently using Apothecary armor with 5/6 pirate runes and 1/6 travelers (it’s a farming build) and a mix of berserker and valkyrie trinkets (left over from my old build) but I want to replace them with Apothecary trinkets as well eventually.

(edited by Unspecified.9142)

in Ranger

Posted by: mamourrir.9641

mamourrir.9641

It would be such a fun weapon to use if it could deal some damage. Swoop is extremely good and has the best animation of the game.

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’m not talking about fluff, I’m talking about the technicality behind the weapon. Why make half of a weapon’s main damage attack do condition damage when neither the autoattack nor any other attack on the weapon applies any conditions at all? It’s absurd. What would be much more in line with the weapon’s technicality would be if it made you evade or block, or made someone knock down or daze.

An on-demand evade in addition to the auto-attack evade and a block might be a bit much defensively. And having at least one damage-dealing attack is nice (Condition or not), considering auto-attack damage on the Greatsword is less than impressive, though I suppose maybe thats up to personal preference as to whether you want to go full defense or have at least some offense to speak of.

Preference or no, there are plenty of weapons that have a mix of conditions and non-condition related attacks, so I wouldn’t really consider it of the ordinary for a weapon to have one damage condition attack mixed in with defensive / non-condition attacks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

The way they changed the #4 block to work against ranged the GS is actually a very decent burn applicator on ranged enemies using the Runes of the guardian.

Proccing a 1 second burn on every block lets you export flame trap level damage abroad. Not great against slow attackers but against an unload, haste, rapid fire a pretty strong condition applying method.

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

The way they changed the #4 block to work against ranged the GS is actually a very decent burn applicator on ranged enemies using the Runes of the guardian.

Proccing a 1 second burn on every block lets you export flame trap level damage abroad. Not great against slow attackers but against an unload, haste, rapid fire a pretty strong condition applying method.

That’s still way too situational, you will apply next to 0 conditions on a melee attacker as you are forced to kick them.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

As much as I want to like the greatsword, I just can’t. It’s like trying to cut a tree down with a frozen tuna. The weapon just doesn’t have any bite. I also feel like rangers need a blast finisher. Drakes are supposed to have one, but since they never use the skill it’s tied to, it may as well not exist.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: monepipi.5160

monepipi.5160

GS’s maul does 3 stacks of bleed, which pales in comparison to Axe + dagger (5+3 =8 stacks). Plus you get chill, weakness and poison. Or you can use axe + torch which will give you burning.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

GS’s maul does 3 stacks of bleed, which pales in comparison to Axe + dagger (5+3 =8 stacks). Plus you get chill, weakness and poison. Or you can use axe + torch which will give you burning.

You have 2 weapon sets, use both.

People also seem to be entirely focused on single target (which makes sense for PvP I guess) but Maul is an AoE and hits really hard, way harder than split blade on the axe even if you do hit with all 5.

But personally I carry around a Shortbow, Longbow, Axe, Horn, Torch, Sword, and Greatsword at all times. I use what is best for the situation and for general AoE PvE farming Greatsword is great.

in Ranger

Posted by: Radamanth.9048

Radamanth.9048

GS is an utility weapon, it works with power or with condition spec, doesnt really matter. and compared to other melee variants, GS got strong mobility with swoop.
Talking about WWW here now, I just need some fast travel/escape tool, thats why i hate running with SB and axe/dagger/torch.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

That’s still way too situational, you will apply next to 0 conditions on a melee attacker as you are forced to kick them.

I tend to agree. Against melee attackers it was weak. Against ranged strong. But if you were using GS in a condition build it gives you another condition applicator of varying power. And stacking multiple @600 damage burns on a ranged attacker isn’t chicken feed when it comes to damage.

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle