[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

Hey, I’m new to Guild Wars and your guide has been helping me a lot, thanks!

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

this threads need a bump to the first page (still think it should be sticky-ed)

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: xSarin.2498

xSarin.2498

bumping this, really ought to be stickied…

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

The guide on dulfy’s website is pretty decent and should probably be linked instead of mine:

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/05/gw2-ranger-pve-class-guide-by-lorek-and-cell/

It’s more detailed and helpful for anyone that doesn’t have a short attention span. Glad to see a decent ranger guide on a high traffic website.

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The guide on dulfy’s website is pretty decent and should probably be linked instead of mine:

Not to toot your horn (I have a wife after all) but I think your guide is a lot easier to read. Hers provides some additional info, but you simplified it to get it the point across.

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Eggyokeo.9705

Not to toot your horn (I have a wife after all) but I think your guide is a lot easier to read. Hers provides some additional info, but you simplified it to get it the point across.

what he said

though it might worth putting in a link in you op. either way what ever gets more people playing appropriate build is a good thing

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

what he said

though it might worth putting in a link in you op. either way what ever gets more people playing appropriate build is a good thing

Done.

Updated the guide slightly to more accurately show what other rangers are running. The main change is that I’ve removed my bias against OH axe and included it in the main build link.

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: BlankHearts.8216

BlankHearts.8216

Oh..I just realized I missed this part ‘’This is guide is not meant to be used for leveling, open world, sPvP or WvWvW.’’ I can’t believe I just noticed that >.< I just bought a whole berserker set and 6 ranger runes.

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Oh..I just realized I missed this part ‘’This is guide is not meant to be used for leveling, open world, sPvP or WvWvW.’’ I can’t believe I just noticed that >.< I just bought a whole berserker set and 6 ranger runes.

It works just fine in open world. A burstier spec like 30/10/0/0/30 might be better depending on the content but either way the berserker gear and runes aren’t wasted.

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

I think DEKeyz mentioned somewhere 4/5/5 is the best personal dps spec (though it comes at the cost of untraited spirits). 4/5/5 is also what the rangers in my guild use to solo Arah.

But yeah, like Guang said it works fine in open world even though it was designed more for dungeons/fractals. You’ll need to adjust your build slightly, just like you do for other classes (ie. you don’t run a banner kitten build while solo-ing on a warrior)

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Gothos.3970

Gothos.3970

Nice guide but after reading this subforum I’m resigning my ranger – didn’t know they’re in such a bad state. Shame.

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Nice guide but after reading this subforum I’m resigning my ranger – didn’t know they’re in such a bad state. Shame.

People also said eles were awful at launch when they were pretty kitten overpowered. (I mained one, I know.) I would take forum wangst with a grain of salt.

(Not suggesting ranger is perfect either, just that things get blown out of proportion.)

@ OP: For someone who only occasionally plays ranger I found your guide a better starting point than Dulfy’s. If I get into it seriously at some point, I’ll check that one out.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Eggyokeo.9705

I think DEKeyz mentioned somewhere 4/5/5 is the best personal dps spec (though it comes at the cost of untraited spirits). 4/5/5 is also what the rangers in my guild use to solo Arah.

what traits do you pick up in WAS trait line for this? VI and X?

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

The adept trait is personal preference and doesn’t make a big difference. The Master trait is usually Offhand Training (VII) and paired with OH axe.

Upon closer inspection, it would appear that they change traits on a per fight basis. Cow used Shared Anguish and Offhand training for Lupicus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkM7qYbhuU4 (this is from the PoV from someone who doens’t play a ranger and made one specifically for this one solo. Also because we picked Ranger as a guild instead of engi/necro)

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

People also said eles were awful at launch when they were pretty kitten overpowered. (I mained one, I know.) I would take forum wangst with a grain of salt.

(Not suggesting ranger is perfect either, just that things get blown out of proportion.)

@ OP: For someone who only occasionally plays ranger I found your guide a better starting point than Dulfy’s. If I get into it seriously at some point, I’ll check that one out.

That’s because no one ever bothered to do the math and figure out actual DPS numbers, they just went by “warrior stacks lots of buffs and HB looks like a lot of damage so they’re probably the best class”. Then people came along and actually started crunching numbers for it and we’re here now.

At this stage it’s unlikely that people are suddenly going to discover that ranger DPS is amazing, that’s already been discussed widely and it’s pretty widely agreed that it isn’t that great at this point.

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

This fell down several pages, and since we have no mods to put something that is pretty much universally accepted to need to be stickied, I guess a bump is not totally a kitten move.

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: SoliSnake.9457

SoliSnake.9457

Solisnake(Elementalist)Lighting Rajin (Guardian)
YamataNoOrochi(Warrior)Ziggy Th White Duke(Mesmer)Aleandro De La Vega(Ranger)

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Eggyokeo.9705

soo ummm, bump,

still needs to be sticky-ed

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Eggyokeo.9705

soo ummm, bump,

still needs to be sticky-ed

decided to bump this again as it took me a little to long to find it again

[Guide] PvE Meta Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

(sarcasm) Horrible Guide! Where’s the Bearbows, obviously the greatest PVE combination in the history of Earth, Tyria, and Asgard! And what about Shortbow? You couldn’t even put a footnote in there about how AMAZING it is?

1/10, would not recommend to anyone. (/sarcasm)

Also, can’t we nominate better guides to be sticky-ed….not that Ranger forums has any good guides (almost all of them suck), but look at some guides from other forums :::
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-Lyssa-s-Grimoire-The-Mesmer-Handbook/2916342
or This one:::
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/FAQ-Guardian-Frequently-Asked-Questions/2537777

(edited by Chrispy.5641)