High hopes for Oct 15

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

That was a random number to enphatize the idea.
Hyperboles!

Seriosly talking, i boubt my pet deals even nearby 50% of the dmg, but it’s undeniable that the gap between “ranger + pet” and “ranger alone” DPS is quite harsh.

Too wide imo, and it’s one of the main issue of the class.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

Hyperboles!

Seriosly talking, i boubt my pet deals even nearby 50% of the dmg, but it’s undeniable that the gap between “ranger + pet” and “ranger alone” DPS is quite harsh.

Sorry. Many people who post here do seem to think the gap is as big as that.

I believe that the actual percentage is 30% to 40%. Yes, that is a high percentage for how unreliable the AI is. I think all of us want either a more reliable AI or more of the damage shifted to us. Both solutions would work. But something does need to be done regardless.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Hyperboles!

Sorry. Many people who post here do seem to think the gap is as big as that.

I believe that the actual percentage is 30% to 40%. Yes, that is a high percentage for how unreliable the AI is. I think all of us want either a more reliable AI or more of the damage shifted to us. Both solutions would work. But something does need to be done regardless.

I’d have to say that because ANet is unwilling to give more control of the pet to the player, that for reasons involving creating a competitive environment; making the pet any better at dealing damage to other players, aside from making F2 skills more reliable, is a bad move.

I am fully aware of the fact that this particular viewpoint does not address all of the games content, but hopefully, shifting the damage back to the player would.

I just really hope I don’t have to explain to anybody why, in a Player versus Player environment, having an overly effective AI tied to a player removes a skill versus skill factor from the environment that a competitive gametype needs in order to push for balance and to create a necessary skill gap that distinguishes experienced and inexperienced players.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

Is this the thread where we write down dreams?

Rampage As One becomes a Signet. The Might stacking ability of the skill becomes the passive signet bonus.

:P

I think i got an orgasm..Only for Ranger in passive, whens active for both and only on pets critical…to not make it totally OP

Nah, keep the might stacking the way it is for both, that way it totally rewards the Ranger for utilizing his pet actively and junk, just like ANET wants! Also means any spec can take advantage of the signet, without a reliance on a crit centric build.

Might have to increase the duration of the stability and fury on the active really, to compensate for the dead time when the signet is recharging.

/wizard

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

I’d have to say that because ANet is unwilling to give more control of the pet to the player, that for reasons involving creating a competitive environment; making the pet any better at dealing damage to other players, aside from making F2 skills more reliable, is a bad move.

I am fully aware of the fact that this particular viewpoint does not address all of the games content, but hopefully, shifting the damage back to the player would.

I just really hope I don’t have to explain to anybody why, in a Player versus Player environment, having an overly effective AI tied to a player removes a skill versus skill factor from the environment that a competitive gametype needs in order to push for balance and to create a necessary skill gap that distinguishes experienced and inexperienced players.

Completely True. The main problem I see is that if ANet insists on the pet being such a major component of the class, in terms of damage and utility, yet they give us so few controls over them. If more control was given to Rangers then it’d detract from perceived the skill-less of the class by introducing more micromanagement. However, ANet is opposed to this so we’re stuck with a mechanic that we hate to play with and opponents hate to play against.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: Doctoris.2675

Doctoris.2675

These changes are still very, very much going to push Rangers very deep into the OP category in s/tPvP. Immensely so. It’s still very much just a wet dream’s mix of update notes for the class. I’d like QoL improvements to Ranger as well, but if you’re expecting even a fraction of something like this in the next patch, you’re going to be very, very disappointed.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

These changes are still very, very much going to push Rangers very deep into the OP category in s/tPvP. Immensely so. It’s still very much just a wet dream’s mix of update notes for the class. I’d like QoL improvements to Ranger as well, but if you’re expecting even a fraction of something like this in the next patch, you’re going to be very, very disappointed.

Are you joking? Most of my changes are QoL improvements. If they all did come true, which I don’t expect to happen and is not my intention, then the only thing that’d be even remotely op would be our vigor uptime. But even then, as I explained earlier, that uptime has the potential to be strong but also has the potential to be weak. Maybe you can claim the 20% increased power scaling op, but I think its completely justifiable over the fact that our pets are unreliable and the fact that we already have poor power scaling to begin with. And that power increase only effects auto attacks as well.

Stormbluff Isle

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

Are you joking? Most of my changes are QoL improvements. If they all did come true, which I don’t expect to happen and is not my intention, then the only thing that’d be even remotely op would be our vigor uptime. But even then, as I explained earlier, that uptime has the potential to be strong but also has the potential to be weak. Maybe you can claim the 20% increased power scaling op, but I think its completely justifiable over the fact that our pets are unreliable and the fact that we already have poor power scaling to begin with. And that power increase only effects auto attacks as well.

While the pets are highly unreliable in some modes of play (PvE), their shortcomings aren’t quite so glaring in others (PvP). This led to the current situation where we, in PvE, are nerfed for design decisions in PvP.

Pets can be relied upon to a much greater degree in PvP. In fact they are and that is a major reason why rangers are firmly in the PvP meta. In PvP as the ranger pet can and does deal significant damage buffing the rangers damage further, while highly requested and helpful in PvE, would make the ranger too powerful in PvP.

The only way a power gain to rangers directly would make sense and not be OP is to simultaneously nerf pet damage output. While that would not be noticed by many PvE players, it has the potential to greatly impact the meta for rangers in all game modes for those that are skilled with the class.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

While the pets are highly unreliable in some modes of play (PvE), their shortcomings aren’t quite so glaring in others (PvP). This led to the current situation where we, in PvE, are nerfed for design decisions in PvP.

Pets can be relied upon to a much greater degree in PvP. In fact they are and that is a major reason why rangers are firmly in the PvP meta. In PvP as the ranger pet can and does deal significant damage buffing the rangers damage further, while highly requested and helpful in PvE, would make the ranger too powerful in PvP.

The only way a power gain to rangers directly would make sense and not be OP is to simultaneously nerf pet damage output. While that would not be noticed by many PvE players, it has the potential to greatly impact the meta for rangers in all game modes for those that are skilled with the class.

Rangers are only in the pvp meta because of spirits. When was the last time a power based ranger build was requested? God kitten never. This is why we need better power scaling. That, or every cd build in the game, including ours, needs to be nerfed because of the cd meta.

Seriously, 20% increased power to only the auto-attacks isn’t as bad as it sounds. Running 30/30/10/0/0 with zerker ammy and full runes of the ogre, that means great sword auto would deal 602, 602, 711

Sword would be 600, 600, 697

SB would be, 398.

LB would be, 525, 680, 940

And axe would be 498

Stormbluff Isle

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Rangers are only in the pvp meta because of spirits. When was the last time a power based ranger build was requested? God kitten never. This is why we need better power scaling. That, or every cd build in the game, including ours, needs to be nerfed because of the cd meta.

Seriously, 20% increased power to only the auto-attacks isn’t as bad as it sounds. Running 30/30/10/0/0 with zerker ammy and full runes of the ogre, that means great sword auto would deal 602, 602, 711

Sword would be 600, 600, 697

SB would be, 398.

LB would be, 525, 680, 940

And axe would be 498

Ranger has been in the PvP meta since launch. The progression has gone Traps>Beastmaster>Spirits.

Rangers have also always been complained about by the PvP community as OP, and always regarded as top tier; only dropping lower than that during the times between the emergence of the next popular meta builds.

Not to say that building for power was ever the popular choice; it wasn’t. But the issue isn’t necessarily damage, but the lack of tools on the power based weapon sets for the defensive tradeoff to be worth the offense gained.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Doctoris.2675

There’s a difference between QoL improvements and hard numbers buffing, a lot of latter is occuring here. I’m not sure which of the three game modes this post has in focus, but for s/tPvP, these numbers are entirely too much and would wildly throw Rangers far ahead of all of the other classes. I’m not here to just bash your ideas though, but as you honestly believe these are fair changes, I honestly believe they are not, so I’ll lay out my reasoning for why I think some of these are not healthy for the game (and give you credit for ideas that I like as well).

LB #1 – Damage reduction with range removed. Base damage stays at 1000+ level

For this, the autoattack damage value would be too high for a ranged weapon that can effectively reach 1500 range (the projectile goes for 1800). As with all classes, when making a choice between ranged weapons, if the 900 range and 1200 range versions offer the same base damage (disregarding skills 2-5, of which I believe Longbow is superior utility-wise regardless), players will always choose the longer ranged option. A problem is that shortbow offers almost the same direct damage on autoattack as a non-max range Longbow at the moment, but nobody would say the shortbow does too much direct damage, so nerfing the SB isn’t the answer. The damage value at 1000+ range is very good, but the caveat is who can effectively maintain 1000 range in a fight when so many classes have moment impair and gapclosers? I believe the approach should be splitting it into 2 rather than three and being more generous with the max range damage option. Something like 0-600 range offers the current medium damage and 600+ range plus offers the high damage option.

Barrage – This skill can now be cast while moving.

This is a very powerful skill already that offers a lot of area control for a period of time. Because of that, the counterplay would be interrupting the skill. It’s allowed to be so powerful in both AoE size, damage, and cripple right now because of all the counterplay offered. Allowing it to be cast on the move would force it to be accompanied by either lower numbers (which nobody wants) or a much long cooldown.

Hunter’s Call – Now applies one second of blind per hit. Can no longer be obstructed if target is behind an object after the skill has been used.

16 strikes of blind over multiple seconds that can’t be obstructed by line of sight? How on earth would that be balanced? Right now, the only multiple blind option bound to weapons is Black Powder by thieves, which has very easy counterplay in just walking out of the tiny, tiny AoE (and the large initiative cost). This is a skill that is, like many options suggested here, extremely potent as a shut-down skill with no counterplay.

All auto attacks will have their power scaling increased by 20%.

20% is really, really massive. As rangers, we have a lot of evasion utilities and very good healing options already. As kitten y as they can be and as much as I hate that their numbers are included in the final count, the damage output we have is good when adding in damage from pets, and they do get hits in over a fight. This would give us too much, especially considering how Rangers can put a good amount of damage down while approaching or skirting around a fight with either SB or LB.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Doctoris.2675

Whirling defense – Base retaliation duration increased to 5 seconds. This attack can be used while moving.

Projectile reflection is a very strong utility in the game. Those tied to weapon skills are all limited very much in one way or another, with Rangers’ being that it can’t be done while moving. Changing it to be able to be done while moving makes it automatically the best projectile reflection skill in the game, especially if off-hand training is taken (making it similar to the Thieve’s Dagger Storm ultimate). I’m fine with the base retaliation increasing to match the duration of the skill— that makes sense as this is a GTFO skill, but making it mobile is too much. Remember that it’s a whirl finisher as well and Rangers have a lot of fields to put down. By adding movement to this skill, the only compromise I can think of would be to change projectile reflect to projectile adsorption, and I like projectile reflect.

Lightning reflexes – This skill now removes immolized, chilled, and crippled.

Yeah, I agree with this one. Lightning reflexes as a whole isn’t an appealing stunbreaker to take at the moment.

Protect Me- Changed to, for 6 seconds, all damage you would take is redirected to your pet. That damage is reduced by 50%. Breaks stuns. (Pet no longer stops attacking during the duration of the skill.)

This makes it superior to the grandmaster traited signet of stone skill if this was done. As it is, it is already a strong panic option and incentivises picking pets with higher vitality. I’m not a fan of the -50% damage to pets, and definitely not of the “pet no longer stops attacking” (if it did, it’d have to accompany with a debuff to the pet for the duration or a much longer cooldown). I do support adding a stunbreak feature to this skill.

Maul – Damage increased by 15%. Vulnerability increased to 5% for 10 seconds.

That’s fine, though at this point, the cooldown would have to increase by 2 seconds as well to justify having a really hard-hitting skill. I’m okay with the damage being added to this skill though (even as high as +25%), since the tell is extremely obvious (big bear roaring and falling down on you).

Guard – Casting time removed. Changed to, you and your pet gain protection for 5s and stability for 5s. Recharge increased to 30 seconds. Breaks stuns.

30 second recharge is really low for a fair duration on two of the best defensive boons in the game. Stability would not be 5s (yes, I know SYG offers the same, but SYG is a problem skill, and it isn’t good for the game to make more SYG type skills. I wouldn’t be surprised with SYG saw a nerf soon) and the CD would not be 30s for this skill if it offered both protection and stability.

Shake it Off (Pet skill) – Cure three conditions on yourself and nearby allies.

Regenerate (Pet skill) – Heal yourself and nearby allies (1320 hp) and grant regeneration for 10s.

Mighty Roar – Reduced casting time to 1 and 1/2 seconds.

Maybe 2 on shake it off. 3 is a lot for the cooldown considering it’s an AoE, not just self. Fine for the others. I’ve never been a fan of pet skills having huge casting times after you press the button.

Signets active abilities will always affect you and your pet.

No. No, no, no. Ranger signets are a problem in that there’s no incentive to take them unless you take the grandmaster trait right now because they’re pet focused— that’s true. However, Ranger signets’ active effects are generally much stronger than other classes’ signets’ actives because of that very reason, making the current grandmaster trait not altogether horrible. By giving Ranger access to all signet active effects off the bat, it would have to be accompanied with a nerf (possibly significant) to the signet active effects.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Doctoris.2675

Signet of Renewal- Active changes to, cleanse all conditions from you and your pet.

And this right here is the exact opposite of that nerf. This signet already passively cleanses conditions, which already has the ire of the community (how much hate is there over the purity trait?). Allowing it to passively cleanse conditions and then allow it to actively cleanse all conditions on both ranger and the pet would be extremely powerful, nevermind for a 60 second cooldown. 3 conditions on both? I’d be okay with that if a grandmaster trait needed to be taken with it— it’d synergize a bit with empathic bond pulling 3 conditions to the pet as well, which makes it a good way to cleanse out 6 conditions at once on a 60 second CD while passively cleansing conditions every 10 seconds when it’s not popped. All conditions though is too much.

Signet of the Beastmaster – Effect changed to, Signets passive effects now affect nearby allies.

Total condition clear for a team? 25% increased damage and stability for 8 seconds for a team? Can’t be affected by direct damage for 6 seconds for an entire team? That’s absolutely way too much, even for a grandmaster trait. However, if you were to take a page from the Guardian’s grandmaster playbook— improve signet passive and active effects as the trait instead. Then we’d be open to allow signet actives to affect both the pet and ranger with a weak active normally and your proposed actives now (though still weaker than what you’re currently proposing for signet changes).

Eagle Eye – Increases SB range to 1200 and SB damage by 5% as well (Lb range and damage increase remains)

SB was problematic in that it is the ranged weapon of choice for all ranges, even in power builds. I miss the days that shortbow worked at long range as well, but I’m not a fan of this. I do agree that this trait should work for SB though, but the same degree as Engineer’s pistol autoattack range increase. From 900 to 1050. There should be a choice when picking a weapon— it’s not good to have one be the superior option for range regardless of build.

All arrow attacks always pierce targets

This needs to stay a trait. Certain classes and builds are inherently good at AoE damage and others at single target. Ranged AoE damage is seldom good and usually comes with strings attached (piss poor damage ala Elementalist’s staff Air/Thief SB/Ranger Axe, carpaltunnel and easy to see coming ala Engineer’s grenades, etc.). While not ideal, piercing does add the AoE component to otherwise single target attacks. Adding piercing passively to arrows would mean that the damage on arrows would need to be toned down as well, which I would not want. I like that Longbow and Shortbow have the potential of outputting good direct damage if I run those builds. It’s best to allow players to choose to trait for the AoE option while maintaining the good damage than forcing the AoE option on all while taking damage down.

Piercing Arrows changed to Incendiary Arrows – Effect becomes, Arrows that hit targets explode and deal damage in a 90 degree radius. (They still pierce)

As a grandmaster trait, it’d still be overpowered. The reason engineers get this with pistols is because Engineer pistol attacks are very weak, both in direct damage and condition damage, and it only affects the 1 and 2 skills. Ranger bow attacks comparatively hit much, much harder and arrows are used in all of the attacks for both LB and SB. Allowing them to both pierce and explode for each piercing is entirely too much (and piercing is the much game friendlier option of the two).

Primal reflexes – Changed to, You gain 10 seconds of vigor when hit by a critical hit. 20s ICD

It’s already a strong trait at 5s vigor every 15s, especially with the passive minor trait we get that adds 50% endurance regeneration. There are traits that need addressing. This is not one of them, especially when Rangers have such good evasion mechanics already.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Doctoris.2675

Honed Axes – Changed to, 10% more critical damage when wielding a main hand axe. Conditions dealt by main hand axe skills last 25% longer.

Would need to be a grandmaster trait. 25% conditions is not a great number. It only adds 1 tick to Axe 2 (not really worth) and extra duration to a short chill and vulnerability, neither of which are enticing picks for a grandmaster trait. I’d remove the 10% critical damage, change the duration bonus on this to +50%, and reduce the base durations on Axe 3 and 5’s conditions by half a second per application.

Moment of Clarity – Changed to, Gain an attack of opportunity after dazing or stunning a foe. Daze and stun durations you inflict last 50% longer.

Isn’t that what it is now? Are you for removing the internal cooldown or something? If so, sure. It’s not a fantastic trait as it is.

Vigorous Renewal – No longer pulses with healing spring. Vigor granted increased to 10s.

Vigor’s a really, really good boon as it is and Rangers are already catching a lot of flak for being very hard to kill, in no small part due to our evasion. This is wood to a nerf-fire.

Circle of life – Changed to, Create a healing spring on yourself when your pet dies.

Absolutely no— this is among a line of traits that all classes have that give their teammates assistance when they die to turn around a fight, which is alright for a trait slot as you give up a major trait to potentially turn around or even a fight that whose numbers swing in the favor of the opposing team when you die. By allowing it to activate off the pet dying (healing spring, no less, one of the best heals in the game), counterplay to the extremely unpopular “petting zoo” builds drops even more. Don’t kill the pet and it’ll keep hitting you for damage, kill it and you heal the entire enemy team in the area for a fair amount and cleanse their conditions as well.

Evasive purity – Changed to, remove poison, blindess, and one additional condition when dodging. ICD of 15s. (does not remove fear or immobilize)

It’d have to be a grandmaster trait if you want to cleanse conditions on dodge.

Enlargement – Changed to, pets get enlarged when you reach 75% health.

I don’t like the 25% threshold, since it’s too fine for the pet to make much use of, but 75% is too much leeway, since enlargement = +25% damage and stability. Let’s compromise and say 50%, which seems fair for a master line trait.

Rending Attacks – Changed to, pets bleed on critical hits with their basic attacks.

Sure. As it is, it’s basically +200 damage on pet critical hits, which don’t occur at a frequent rate (unless you Jaguar + Zephyr, but that’s a one-trick pony). The boost to DPS is negligible, and it’s effective as a means to cover up poison and burning (the two conditions rangers are much better at applying).

Mighty Swap – Changed to, grants 3 stacks of might for 10s to you, your pet, and nearby allies when swapping pets.

Not nearby allies, but I am open to the idea of applying to self as well. It’s not a good trait as it is right now, and I don’t think anybody takes it.

Stability training – Changed to, grants 4 seconds of stability to you, your pet, and nearby allies when swapping pets.

This would have to be a grandmaster trait. Either that, or if you want to leave it at master, it would be at 2 seconds of stability. Safe stomps are not a thing that should be easily accessed without either a utility slot or deep traiting and giving up an alternate combat grandmaster trait option.

Vigorous Training – Changed to, grants 8 seconds of vigor to you, your pet, and nearby allies when swapping pets.

Much like with my vigorous renewal criticism, vigor is a strong boon, rangers already have good endurance regeneration and evasion on top of strong healing. This exacerbates our strengths even more and will lead to Elementalist-style nerfing.

Intimidation Training – Changed to, crowd control dealt by your pet lasts 50% longer.

Quite a boring trait considering how limited pet stuns and CC options are and the massive cooldowns they all have. I don’t think anybody’d pick it up.\

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

Ranger in melee, well I’m not about to tell you its more useful or less useful than a Warrior in melee attack. At the end, my Ranger was competent with Sw/dag & Axe/torch, in fact I could make a Theif run off to greener pastures.

It isn’t why I rolled a Ranger though. I wanted a ranged class. So far the Warrior bow out performs the ranger bow in many ways. This is sad.

Anet said they’d be looking into Ranger weapon numbers for a little bumpage, which means they realize we don’t measure up to the new Legendary and Ascended weapons and gear due to pet balance. At least that is my guess.

Funny thing is, I played a LB ranger since day one, only toon till 3 weeks ago. Never asked out of a dungeon group for using a LB, always felt like I helped a lot, Waterfield placement at the right time can be a life saver. I have many ranger gripes, but Dungeon running isn’t one of them, >shrugs<.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

snip

There’s a difference between QoL improvements and hard numbers buffing, a lot of latter is occuring here. I’m not sure which of the three game modes this post has in focus, but for s/tPvP, these numbers are entirely too much and would wildly throw Rangers far ahead of all of the other classes. I’m not here to just bash your ideas though, but as you honestly believe these are fair changes, I honestly believe they are not, so I’ll lay out my reasoning for why I think some of these are not healthy for the game (and give you credit for ideas that I like as well).

LB #1 – Damage reduction with range removed. Base damage stays at 1000+ level

For this, the autoattack damage value would be too high for a ranged weapon that can effectively reach 1500 range (the projectile goes for 1800). As with all classes, when making a choice between ranged weapons, if the 900 range and 1200 range versions offer the same base damage (disregarding skills 2-5, of which I believe Longbow is superior utility-wise regardless), players will always choose the longer ranged option. A problem is that shortbow offers almost the same direct damage on autoattack as a non-max range Longbow at the moment, but nobody would say the shortbow does too much direct damage, so nerfing the SB isn’t the answer. The damage value at 1000+ range is very good, but the caveat is who can effectively maintain 1000 range in a fight when so many classes have moment impair and gapclosers? I believe the approach should be splitting it into 2 rather than three and being more generous with the max range damage option. Something like 0-600 range offers the current medium damage and 600+ range plus offers the high damage option.

Barrage – This skill can now be cast while moving.

This is a very powerful skill already that offers a lot of area control for a period of time. Because of that, the counterplay would be interrupting the skill. It’s allowed to be so powerful in both AoE size, damage, and cripple right now because of all the counterplay offered. Allowing it to be cast on the move would force it to be accompanied by either lower numbers (which nobody wants) or a much long cooldown.

Hunter’s Call – Now applies one second of blind per hit. Can no longer be obstructed if target is behind an object after the skill has been used.

16 strikes of blind over multiple seconds that can’t be obstructed by line of sight? How on earth would that be balanced? Right now, the only multiple blind option bound to weapons is Black Powder by thieves, which has very easy counterplay in just walking out of the tiny, tiny AoE (and the large initiative cost). This is a skill that is, like many options suggested here, extremely potent as a shut-down skill with no counterplay.

All auto attacks will have their power scaling increased by 20%.

20% is really, really massive. As rangers, we have a lot of evasion utilities and very good healing options already. As kitten y as they can be and as much as I hate that their numbers are included in the final count, the damage output we have is good when adding in damage from pets, and they do get hits in over a fight. This would give us too much, especially considering how Rangers can put a good amount of damage down while approaching or skirting around a fight with either SB or LB.

The LB, even with its buffs, still has a slow attack speed. Slow enough that sword and great sword auto can easily out damage it. Should it be boosted as I said, it’d surpass Gs auto but still be behind sword. I believe this class should be the master of ranged damage and if you’ve tried running a power build, not full zerker, you’ll find that it is absolute garbage. These adjustments would definitely make the weapon strong enough to be where it should be. And if used as zerker, it would finally have a fair trade off in terms of large dps and low survivability. Our only survivability while running zerker is our evades. Meanwhile, classes like thief have stealth, mesmer does as well in addition to clones to body block. Guardians and eles can boon spam and heal like crazy while zerk. Warrior has that high health pool and heavy armor in addition to way too many stuns which can be offensive and defensive, depending how you look at it. All a zerk ranger can get is evasion.

Moving while barraging really doesn’t change much, just makes the skill feel better too cast. In fact it isn’t even necessary since we have stealth.

I’ll give you hunters call I didn’t realize it lasted for 16 seconds

And once again, that 20% boost only affects auto attacks. We NEED better power scaling. Ranger power builds are inferior to that of every other classes. Sure we have high survivabilty, but plenty of other classes have that while dishing out more direct damage than us.

Stormbluff Isle

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

Whirling defense is pretty much good for just the retaliation. You’ll reflect two shots or so but any competent player will just watch you stand there like a fool. Not only that, but the skill itself deals low dps and has a long recharge. I think the skill is too weak and needs to be buffed so we can move and put on more pressure to our fore. And the skill itself only works intended if you’re fighting a ranged char, so it may just sit on your skill bar being unused if your target isn’t ranged.

Protect me really isn’t used. Unless you have a bear, which many people don’t use do to poor dps, or a drake, its pet suicide and also a 6s period during which your pet does not attack. Many people aren’t willing to drop a utility slot for it
My boost makes the skill much more viable because #1, its not nearly as suicidal to your pet, #2, you no longer loose a significant amount of your overall dps either. Signet of stone still retains its passive ability, and does not cause any damage to your. Even if protect me received my buffs, it could still very well kill your pet, just not as easily.

Maul is easily telegraphed and the change I listed for it will be coming. It was leaked a few weeks ago. Everytime I fight a Gs ranger, they NEVER land maul on me unless I’m stunned, so the skill definitely needs a boost.

I don’t really see a problem with guard. The skill sucks as it is unless traited. I figured since we only have two accesses to stability, and the skill says guard, it’d be good to have. Yea its a strong skill but then again we have some real kittenty utilities where many of them need to be traited.

Eh, I think shake it off should be three, you think two. Just a difference of opinions really.

Signet actives are NEVER used to affect just the pet. Its ridiculous that they need a 30 pt trait just to effect the ranger. Sure, they are strong as well, but they do have very long cast times to compliment that. That trait should never have been in the game.

Stormbluff Isle

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

snip

I’ll give you signet of renewal that’s pretty strong.

Signet of the Beastmaster only spreads passive effects of abilities to allies. Not active. 25% group movement speed is pretty much useless since swiftness can be acquired so easily. The group toughness is good. Cd removal not really as a guardian can do much better removal. That extra group regen,however, would be some great team support that the ranger somewhat lacks.

Arrow attacks should ALWAYS pierce. We have practically no aoe
Even with piercing attacks, we still have crap aoe as it requires targets to be perfectly lined up. Incendiary would be a great trait as it only effects targets in a 90* degree radius which is very, very small. Rarely do you have targets lined up, but often you do have them next to eachother. A 90* radius is only enough to get you two, maybe three if you’re lucky hits per shot. I don’t see that as being too strong at all.

Primal reflexes needs to be strong because its unreliable against targets with low precision. Its a gamble with a very strong out come in the right situation, or a practically useless outcome in the wrong one. Therefore it needs to be strong.

Stormbluff Isle

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

Honed axes is weak as it is, but the 25% cd duration increase could make it very efficient for hybrid builds for axe.

Moment of clarity only activates on interrupt. I changed it to activate on every daze and stun, making it more reliable.

Vigorous renewal is a fair Nerf/buff. We hatve ridiculous vigor uptime from healing spring with this trait. Over 50% default and can reach over 100% with enough boon duration. That aside, the trait is too weak to take if you aren’t using hs. My change matches the thief trait and now allows for our trait to actually be useful if you aren’t using healing spring.

Circle of life isn’t even used because its just weak. Who in their minds would take that? At least having the pet sacrificed for a healing spring is somewhat viable. And the skill does not heal allies for the initial heal.

Evasive purity already is a grandmaster trait.

Enlargement sucks as it is because #1,it isn’t useful, #2, it activates when you’re too low hp, #3, pets are unreliable. In fact, this needs more of a boost.

Vigorous/stability training/mighty swap. Here’s the thing with this. First off mighty swap is no where near op so get that out of your head. Numero dos, stability and vigorous training need to be strong because we lack good support and they are not perfectly reliable traits. 4s stability and 8s vigor every 20/16s is very strong but not guarenteed. Pets will die and wiil die often, knocking that recharge to 60/48s. Good pet management needs to be rewarded strongly, which is what I’m trying to do. However, these durations can be reduced in spvp due to less aoe.

Intimidation training would help for cc spam with your pets if you’re into that. Couldn’t really think of a good buff to it.

Also mate, I didn’t make these changes expecting every single one to be added. I made most of them strong so anet can pick and choose which ones they find necessary.

Stormbluff Isle

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Doctoris.2675

The LB, even with its buffs, still has a slow attack speed. Slow enough that sword and great sword auto can easily out damage it. Should it be boosted as I said, it’d surpass Gs auto but still be behind sword. I believe this class should be the master of ranged damage and if you’ve tried running a power build, not full zerker, you’ll find that it is absolute garbage.

I do run full berserker rangers every now and then simply because it’s a fun spec, and running it a lot, I am aware of the problems with it. LB autoattack does need a bit of love— 20% is a big number swing though, and I think a simple redoing of how the increased damage per range mechanic is the way to do it, along with a smaller autoattack number increase. As for the attack speed, it isn’t any slower than almost any ranged attack from any other class— SB is just really, really fast in comparison, so it can seem that way. However, to call the damage output from a berserker LB “absolute garbage” is hyperbole in the highest degree. From just 5 and 2 alone, the damage is enough to put immense pressure on a node or stationary target. Another very important thing to note is that LB comes with the utility of being potentially the longest ranged weapon in the game (by a far margin), which in and of itself is immense utility.

Our only survivability while running zerker is our evades. Meanwhile, classes like thief have stealth, mesmer does as well in addition to clones to body block. Guardians and eles can boon spam and heal like crazy while zerk. Warrior has that high health pool and heavy armor in addition to way too many stuns which can be offensive and defensive, depending how you look at it. All a zerk ranger can get is evasion.

LB 3 actually offers a potential 1/4th to 1/3rd stealth uptime (depending on if traited or not), which is extremely strong for disengaging and repositioning. GS and LB have knockback options as well. Zerk rangers do lack outright safety of a zerk Thief’s ability to port using Sword 2 (acknowledged as problem by ANet— nerfs incoming), large HP/armor pool of Warriors (also acknowledged as problem), and huge HP pool of Necromancers (but lack of endurance regeneration, stability, movement skills, and disengage make them ideal focus target). LB Ranger makes up for it with the ability to do that damage at over 1500 range, which I cannot emphasize enough how important it is. I firmly believe that glass ranger is a good template for what glass builds should be like— good soft options for disengage (3 second stealth on 9/12 second CD, knockback), take a wolf for passive knockdown CC and active fear proc, while poor play can be punished.

And once again, that 20% boost only affects auto attacks. We NEED better power scaling. Ranger power builds are inferior to that of every other classes. Sure we have high survivabilty, but plenty of other classes have that while dishing out more direct damage than us.

A blanket 20% isn’t a good response to it, and is even more power creep, which is a huge no-no in balancing philosophy. For these immense glass damage builds on autoattacks, there always needs to be a “but”, especially in the ranged power weapons. Longer range is immense utility in a kit (it may not feel like it at times fighting Thieves, whose class mechanics disregard the idea of “spacing”), and with over 1500 of it, damage is a fair compromise from Longbow (though I’d be ecstatic if LB damage was raised, as it’s my favorite Ranger weapon). I just cannot emphasize enough how important that extra range is in the balancing discussion, and I’ll be making the same point many times over.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Doctoris.2675

Whirling defense is pretty much good for just the retaliation. You’ll reflect two shots or so but any competent player will just watch you stand there like a fool. Not only that, but the skill itself deals low dps and has a long recharge. I think the skill is too weak and needs to be buffed so we can move and put on more pressure to our fore. And the skill itself only works intended if you’re fighting a ranged char, so it may just sit on your skill bar being unused if your target isn’t ranged.

I absolutely disagree. I don’t think this skill should be popped except for the express purpose of reflecting projectiles. When opponents swap weapon sets to a ranged set, you can bet they’ll be unloading skills that aren’t off cooldown. The number of pin downs I’ve reflected by using this skill as opponents swap to a ranged set already makes it extremely strong in my eyes (and traited, the range is almost the size of most nodes and exceeds the cooldowns of skills you’ll want to use it on to reflect. The recharge is among, if not the lowest among all projectile reflecting skills. There’s no shame in a counter skill sitting unused when it isn’t needed.

Maul is easily telegraphed and the change I listed for it will be coming. It was leaked a few weeks ago. Everytime I fight a Gs ranger, they NEVER land maul on me unless I’m stunned, so the skill definitely needs a boost.

I’m already with you on this one. I think it’s fine for obvious telegraphed skills to be strong.

-guard and excerpt-

The problem is that it offers an immense amount in a single skill. SYG is considered by many to be the best skill in the game, and what this skill offers is an even better version. It’s power creep again, and offers a ton to a class that has strong options as it is. The thing is that this would change the nature of the shout line of ranger to support. Rangers already offer support via spirits (and an immense amount of it too) and healing spring. The shout line of skills was clearly designed with active abilities from the pet in mind (which is why Sic’ Em is getting the awesome revealed addition buff next patch). Guard absolutely needs work.

Protect me I feel a bit more iffy about— the problem overall is the idea behind the skill. The only people who would move into the shout utility tree would be using shouts to utilize the pet, and therefore are likely to have invested in a stronger pet via the beastmastery tree (particularly with Sic’ Em, which will be very strong with the revealed debuff, as targets no longer can detarget themselves from a +40% damage/speed pet). Protect me then turns it so that the pet receives a large amount of incoming damage it cannot mitigate after the build invests so much into the pet. This is just a skill I don’t like in concept as a whole in the first place, and would prefer to see it replaced with something else.

(edited by Doctoris.2675)

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Doctoris.2675

Signet of the Beastmaster only spreads passive effects of abilities to allies. Not active. 25% group movement speed is pretty much useless since swiftness can be acquired so easily. The group toughness is good. Cd removal not really as a guardian can do much better removal. That extra group regen,however, would be some great team support that the ranger somewhat lacks.

I misread. I assumed actives as well. In that case, it’s alright. Would be a good incentive for taking up signets, even with signets as they currently are. Simply the signet of renewal’s passive distributed among a team itself is already worthy of a grandmaster trait, nevermind having two additional potential passives spread out in a fight as well.

Arrow attacks should ALWAYS pierce. [etc]

There’s no shame in an attack not having an AoE component! I also play an axe power necromancer because it’s ridiculously strong, and in that case, the attacks aren’t extremely unlike LB’s. The difference in damage between the two when playing is minor (Axe Necromancer 1 and 2 outdamage bow 1 and 2). However, Axe is at 600 range and Longbow at 1500. Once again, I’m bringing range up because I think it’s really, really important. Axe can hit single targets quite hard, especially once traited up, but the balance is that it is always at 600 range and always single target, no exceptions. A 1200 range attack is already good— that it can be traited to 1500+ and piercing makes it very strong. However, you never want to make it so that when a weapon is completely traited for, it becomes brokenly strong (because of course people are likely to trait for it if they take the weapon set up). That’s what the proposed piercing, exploding, +20% base damage autoattack, no range damage reduction, moving barrage shot long bow is. It’s kittenly strong once completely traited for and offers an extremely together package in a single weapon set. And that’s bad design.

Primal reflexes needs to be strong because its unreliable against targets with low precision. Its a gamble with a very strong out come in the right situation, or a practically useless outcome in the wrong one. Therefore it needs to be strong.

Not all traits need to be strong in every single match-up. That’s what makes making the choice of which trait to take difficult and makes MMO combat interesting. Because some will only apply to certain classes and conditions. And as it is, it is already strong. Crits happen, even if someone sits on no precision, it will occur over the course of a fight.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Doctoris.2675

Honed axes is weak as it is, but the 25% cd duration increase could make it very efficient for hybrid builds for axe.

You misunderstood me— I’m saying that 25% is too weak of a buff because it’d equate to an increase of 1 bleed tick for Axe 2, which is negligible (200~500 damage difference for a single skill for a trait). What I proposed was to make it 50% increase condition duration (so that it becomes 600-1500 increase in damage for a trait). However, you don’t want it to make the vulnerability and chill exceptionally long as well— that’d make it overpowered. By decreasing the base chill and vulnerability durations, the +50% would have less of an impact on those two condition durations while increasing damage of axe 2 bleeding, which is what I imagine people would take a +condition duration axe trait for in the first place.

Moment of clarity only activates on interrupt. I changed it to activate on every daze and stun, making it more reliable.

Sure. I’m still a fan. I feel it’s lackluster for a grandmaster trait as it is regardless. However, this wouldn’t affect many kits at all— the issue is that the only weapon kits that have stun/daze are Greatsword and Shortbow. SB gains very little from the guaranteed crit (Greatsword maul has a lot to gain though and synergizes well). The thing is that interrupts work better because it gives the GS two opportunities to proc this and the LB access to this as well through the 4 knockback. As it is, I believe dazes shouldn’t be used except for interrupting key skills anyway as none of the ranger stuns/dazes are long enough to set something big up— they’re not something to be spammed. So the thing is— as far as this proposal goes, it seems more like a nerf than a buff to me.

Vigorous renewal is a fair Nerf/buff. We hatve ridiculous vigor uptime from healing spring with this trait. Over 50% default and can reach over 100% with enough boon duration. That aside, the trait is too weak to take if you aren’t using hs. My change matches the thief trait and now allows for our trait to actually be useful if you aren’t using healing spring.

It’s a fair point you raise. That being said, I’m still not a fan, as it makes the Ranger stronger in an area that they’re already strong in and catching a lot of flak for. Also, the thief trait (especially when used with 15s CD withdraw) is already immensely problematic and is contributing a huge part to balancing issues in that class. I don’t like the idea of power creep— of thinking “We buffed this class and now it is broken in this spec because it can do X, so let’s buff this other class that’s weak in this area also able to compete with X”. That’s the same reasoning behind why I don’t like your guard proposal. Both of the things that this and guard are imitating are problem skills from a balance standpoint already (wouldn’t be surprised to see stunbreak gone from SYG or something along those lines), and I don’t think it’s a good idea to add more skills to that pool.

Circle of life isn’t even used because its just weak. Who in their minds would take that? At least having the pet sacrificed for a healing spring is somewhat viable. And the skill does not heal allies for the initial heal.

In not managing pet HP, pulsing condition clear and a heal is not the answer. The problem is that this trait rewards poor pet management. The Ranger class is taking an immense amount of heat for passive play because of the spirit build that’s floating around, and this serves to exacerbate the situation.

(edited by Doctoris.2675)

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Doctoris.2675

Oh. I’m in then. Thought it was master.

Enlargement sucks as it is because #1,it isn’t useful, #2, it activates when you’re too low hp, #3, pets are unreliable. In fact, this needs more of a boost.

+25% damage is absolutely useful, and it comes along with stability to boot. I am not convinced that the skill is useless at all. Pets can be unreliable, and I agreed with you that the 25% HP threshold was too low. However, I also believe 75% is too high. This allows a pet to sit at that massive buffed state for the majority of fights. I still think 50% is a fair buff to this trait. Otherwise, the beastmaster build will come back in force, the exact opposite of everything I would want on my ranger player. I don’t want an option in the beastmastery tree so good that I would have to invest points into a pet AI again to make up a larger chunk of my damage, but that’s what this trait proccing at 75% is— it’s so good that beastmasters will come back in force, and they’ll be even stronger than they were a few months back (which led to their immediate nerf afterwards, and I don’t want any more Ranger nerfs).

Vigorous/stability training/mighty swap. Here’s the thing with this. First off mighty swap is no where near op so get that out of your head. Numero dos, stability and vigorous training need to be strong because we lack good support and they are not perfectly reliable traits. 4s stability and 8s vigor every 20/16s is very strong but not guarenteed. Pets will die and wiil die often, knocking that recharge to 60/48s. Good pet management needs to be rewarded strongly, which is what I’m trying to do. However, these durations can be reduced in spvp due to less aoe.

To mighty swap— I didn’t say OP, in fact, I said the trait is crap as it is right now, so I don’t know where you’re pulling that form. I also subscribed to the idea of increasing stacks to 3 might, as it’s a fair buff, but making it team-wide does make it very strong for a first tier major trait (and more power creep).

Also, I do not feel in any remote way that Rangers lack good support- we give immense support via the spirit class of utilities and the healing spring skill, especially with the spirit ultimate. That’s one of the reasons behind why the class is catching so much flak right now. I didn’t mind the idea of adding stability to pet swap, but on-demand 4 second AoE stability before boon duration bonus on potential 16 second CD is too much. I firmly believe that. The numbers absolutely need to be less, especially if they’re going to be master tier traits.

Intimidation training would help for cc spam with your pets if you’re into that. Couldn’t really think of a good buff to it.

Yeah, it’s a poop trait. I would just axe it altogether to add something more interesting on the design side.

Also mate, I didn’t make these changes expecting every single one to be added. I made most of them strong so anet can pick and choose which ones they find necessary.

I recognize that. Like you, I too am in favor of buffing the Ranger class that I love to play so much overall, as I feel like they are a bit behind in a couple of areas. However, it’s important to recognize areas where we are very, very strong, and it’s equally important to recognize that in the areas where we are weaker than other classes, it isn’t by an immense margin that so many make it sound as. We also always have to account for the potential extreme utility offered by a pet (or damage, but utility is king in PvP). Even as individual suggestions, I did think some of the ones you posted were too much in the buff direction, and there were several others where I liked what you proposed or the general idea of them.

The primary thing is that there are problem builds right now in the game that exist for both our class and other classes. Making our other builds so strong that they too become problem builds isn’t a good response. With some of these suggestions here in their original forms, having 70 trait points to spend would be like a kid in a candy shop. I could pick a build that picks between very strong offense, defence , and support without needing to sacrifice much at all in the other two areas, and that’s not good for game balance. Overall, I liked a number of your ideas and some I would implement had I the choice, but others (particularly our disagreement in our visions with the Longbow) I’m still unconvinced needs the massive overhaul being suggested.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

Oh. I’m in then. Thought it was master.

It is a master trait. One that already removes poison and blindness with a 10s cooldown. The proposed change would just allow it to remove a third condition, but increase the cooldown to 15s as a cost. That isn’t entirely unreasonable as with only being able to clear those two condition the trait isn’t the most useful.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: Ragnar.1546

Ragnar.1546

I’d like to know that the time I spent on my ranger wasn’t wasted. Otherwise give me a token of regret and allow me to apply the current level of my Ranger to a new character of my choosing.

I did like my BM ranger prior to all the changes but it was just one blow too many and now my Ranger is taking up a character slot.

TOKEN OF REGRET!! I don’t care about fixing the class anymore, I want that wasted time back.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’d like to know that the time I spent on my ranger wasn’t wasted. Otherwise give me a token of regret and allow me to apply the current level of my Ranger to a new character of my choosing.

I did like my BM ranger prior to all the changes but it was just one blow too many and now my Ranger is taking up a character slot.

TOKEN OF REGRET!! I don’t care about fixing the class anymore, I want that wasted time back.

I would not be opposed to be given a “Token of we kittened up!” that rerolls your ranger into another prof…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I would not be opposed to be given a “Token of we kittened up!” that rerolls your ranger into another prof…

Ele needs this same thing.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Ele needs this same thing.

I’d argue ele is in a better spot than ranger, as the devs said in the last SOTG the main issue with ele is that everyone elses (warrior, thief, necro specifically) numbers are too high, and if they were brought down a little bit than ele would be considered in a very good spot. You know, since they’re not supposed to be high up in any one category…

The ele does need a total trait rework though…

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

Enjoyable thread. I agree and think most of those changes are op.
I would like it if axe 5 forced you into a walk speed. No run speed.and the retaliation was replaced or removed by something not as strong.

I still dislike shouts. I won’t touch sickem till after buff but particularly the other three. None of them synergize well making shout build near impossible. A net should have tested in beta.

I think if the pet is going to gaurd a target area so be it. But I’d like it to be more of. Oh that pet is my ally and over there. Fighting near it is good. Thus I would like the cd increased to 60 and it pulse a powerful boob in the area. Either stability protection or retaliation

For example if search and rescue caused fear to everyone nearby the downed ally and gave pet protection I would consider using this.

Or if it was duration based. For 30 secs pets find near allies and res them.
I really try to compare this to other Rez skills. Yes banner is an elite on a long cd but its also aoe and inta Rez. For its cd I feel search should have one of those two aspects to it.

I made another thread with ideas about the other two shouts. Ill try to find and edit post

(edited by rpfohr.7048)

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I would like it if axe 5 forced you into a walk speed. No run speed.and the retaliation was replaced or removed by something not as strong.

I still dislike shouts. I won’t touch sickem till after buff but particularly the other three. None of them synergize well making shout build near impossible. A net should have tested in beta.

I think if the pet is going to gaurd a target area so be it. But I’d like it to be more of. Oh that pet is my ally and over there. Fighting near it is good. Thus I would like the cd increased to 60 and it pulse a powerful boob in the area. Either stability protection or retaliation

For example if search and rescue caused fear to everyone nearby the downed ally and gave pet protection I would consider using this.

I really try to compare this to other Rez skills. Yes banner is an elite on a long cd but its also aoe and inta Rez. For its cd I feel search should have one of those two aspects to it.

I made another thread with ideas about the other two shouts. Ill try to find and edit post

If I remember correctly, during the betas, rangers didn’t even have their last “shout” utility until like BWE3. Maybe it was sooner, but I could have sworn it wasn’t til BWE3.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: idevourwater.3149

idevourwater.3149

Buff the shortbow damage coefficient! we got a reduced range, i want to see it do more damage for the increased risk.

since the range got decreased by 25%, we should see an increase in damage by 25% to make up for that.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

If I remember correctly, during the betas, rangers didn’t even have their last “shout” utility until like BWE3. Maybe it was sooner, but I could have sworn it wasn’t til BWE3.

Only search And rescue was in beta 3. Other shout descriptions were released but not until live could we use them

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Only search And rescue was in beta 3. Other shout descriptions were released but not until live could we use them

No, they were all there at the end of Beta 3, same with underwater spirits.

High hopes for Oct 15

in Ranger

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

The OP posted what we needed – now look at what we got. It’d be nice if any single person from Anet actually played a frigging ranger, but that’d be asking too much, I suppose.