Holy crap wintersday scout!

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

This was by far the most fun Ive ever had on gw2. Huge props to anet for being so creative. Now if they can change ranger to match this Id have their babies. I seriously decided to quit ranger because being tied to a pet without a choice is stupid. I really hope they either impliment a scout class just like this or change ranger to match, nothing was more fun that stealthing for 3 secs and popping off with a sniper shot for a key kill. Either way hats off to them.

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

Oh look, yet another chump who doesn’t want to have a pet when playing the pet class.

in Ranger

Posted by: AlexRD.7914

AlexRD.7914

I agree with agadar, for christs sakes, if you want to play a petless class play a thief. If you guys get ranger without a pet, then i want my warrior to have a unicorn.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Can’t blame him when the pet is utterly defficient in this game with no real indication from ANet that they even understand what the root problems are. Because if all they acknowledge are damage problems this class will always be fighting for last place with the engineer. Hell, with the pets now somewhat hitting moving targets, the damage is probably the only thing they’ve got right on the pet (even if the class as a whole is still horrible at damage in general).

Once AE damage, pet utility, pet responsiveness, class traits, class skills, class burst, and the ranger’s damage mechanics are resolved we can come back with the snide comments about someone wanting an option to play the ranger class without a pet. Until then though, dropping the pet would probably get us closer to being a real class than trying to fix the pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

Lots of controversy surrounds the ranger class, not only because of the bugs but because even as of today is still being explored, can you believe that!? People are still exploring new ways to use their ranger to max out its potential. I think that if ANet realized all the different ways that a player can use a ranger and tried to balance each in a way that satisfies overall pve/pvp/wvw, we wouldn’t have to worry about wishing for the Wintersday Scout to replace the Ranger.

Although the thought of a stealthy sniper shot sounds like a really amazing addition to a long bow glass cannon build, with lots of trade off in survivability and pet effeciency of course… and then that’s another couple of reasons for this idea to go totally wrong lol.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Idc if you call me a scrub or chump because I hate pets, Thief and warrior are not the ranger, and I want to play a ranger, for lore and proffession reasons. I dont want to steal, or to wear heavy armor, but I also dont like being forced to use a pet. Because you like it doesnt mean any1 who doesnt is stupid, and Im not asking them to get rid of pets, just change longbow to be like wintersday scout, thats it, I wouldnt mind the pet then. As Atherakhia said they are quite useless atm, cant path for kitten and die in 3 secs. I dont like having 50% of my dps not only killable but unable to attack.

I would love to be an archer and not need a pet to dps, and no, thief and warrior arent what Id call an archer, Im talking about traditional, realistic archer not a teleporting bomb luanching archer or a fire lobbing low ranged wannabe in heavy armor.

in Ranger

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Idc if you call me a scrub or chump because I hate pets, Thief and warrior are not the ranger, and I want to play a ranger, for lore and proffession reasons. I dont want to steal, or to wear heavy armor, but I also dont like being forced to use a pet. Because you like it doesnt mean any1 who doesnt is stupid, and Im not asking them to get rid of pets, just change longbow to be like wintersday scout, thats it, I wouldnt mind the pet then. As Atherakhia said they are quite useless atm, cant path for kitten and die in 3 secs. I dont like having 50% of my dps not only killable but unable to attack.

I would love to be an archer and not need a pet to dps, and no, thief and warrior arent what Id call an archer, Im talking about traditional, realistic archer not a teleporting bomb luanching archer or a fire lobbing low ranged wannabe in heavy armor.

l’m right with you on that one, take no notice of the "people " calling you a scrub and a chump, l guess l’m up there with you.

I love my pet, but I DON’T want it with me all the time, a lot of the time it’s useless and a liability.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Ranger

Posted by: Beaterz.2860

Beaterz.2860

I totaly agree, why do we have to use a pet? and don’t give me that whole hunter vs ranger crap i just wanted to be the archer class and the ranger was the closest thing to it. my pet has killed me more times in pve then saved by luring a bunch of mobs when ever i jump of a small cliff and my pets decide to take the fun route through the nice looking abamonations, bringing me in combat in the proces which kittens up my speed so i can get killed right after my pet. or who can forget the old classic of the jump puzzles! everytime i go to the 3 small jump puzzles of wvw i try to walk around the annoying oozes, and my bear decides he wants to give them each a hug first so i go in combat right at the moment i try to jump on the next platform so i can swim back to shore… yes i just pointed out an whole other aspect of the broken pet next to the fact only about 30% of its damage potential actualy reaches the target because of the broken mechanics. but im not mad at the fact the pets are serverly braindamaged, not at all. its still a pretty new game and it needs time to get fixed. but im mad because i can’t get a restraining order for my stalking bear. i just dont want it anymore, i want to be the hero in my story, i dont want to watch my pet kill things while i distract them and i don’t whant to change to a wanna be ranger by rolling a warrior (especialy because i have to endure the storyline and the first 20 levels of fractials again and i just don’t whant that.)

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Well when you consider the impact most of these other class specific things have on the class as a whole you can’t help but laugh at how terrible the ranger’s is. If a Warrior or Thief went the whole game without using theirs they wouldn’t miss out on much of anything. But a ranger is going to lose 50% of its damage? come on… the pet should account for 10% of the class’ damage and even that should be mitigated some if we invested fully in non-BM trait lines.

the only class that sees such a large impact from this is the elementalist and you can tell the whole class was designed around it. The ranger, it’s almost like they completely forgot to add it and threw something together last minute.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I really am just spoiled now, the wintersday scout made it so I dont even wanna go back on ranger. It was perfect for the idea of scout, a mix of shortbow/rifle, u cant get better than that. I do like my pet also but I hate being FORCED to use it, but as others say, this is anets idea of a good time so Ill just focus on guardian and rifle warrior and wait for the next game with a real archer class to come out. Maybe if they rework the longbow but until then not interested.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

Pet micro-managing is the biggest downfall of the Ranger class. In dungeons my pet is constantly dead and/or unable to switch because of cooldown. I would love to have the ability to stow it and gain a slight damage buff.

Back to the topic at hand though, yes, the scout is awesome and makes me never want to play a longbow ranger again! So much fun.

in Ranger

AlexRD.7914

They are not going to remove pets.
Forget it.

This is a pet class. I mean, it’s the same thing as creating a thread in the warrior forum saying: “I DONT WANT TO USE GREATSWORD BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT AND IT IS NOT PRETTY. REMOVE IT FROM THE GAME.”
Learn to use your pets, pets are useful and powerful if you play it right.

I have NEVER seen my pet die in 3s when i was looking out for him, i have never seen my pet being kited by an enemy while i was looking out for him, and being able to split your damage in half (And that other half will be powerful, regardless of the gear), is one of the best things you can ask for.

You know what my friends say after i beat them in 1v1s? They say :
“You only won because of your pet, he is overpowered”

in Ranger

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Forget it.

This is a pet class. I mean, it’s the same thing as creating a thread in the warrior forum saying: “I DONT WANT TO USE GREATSWORD BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT AND IT IS NOT PRETTY. REMOVE IT FROM THE GAME.”

I have NEVER seen my pet die in 3s when i was looking out for him, i have never seen my pet being kited by an enemy while i was looking out for him, and being able to split your damage in half (And that other half will be powerful, regardless of the gear), is one of the best things you can ask for.

Your analogy is horrible. The ranger community is not asking for pets to be removed. We want the ABILITY for the pets to be removed. In your example, it would be like FORCING the warrior to use a greatsword. Not allowing weapon swap or any other changing of weapons.

How does it affect you if they give you the option to PERMANENTLY stow your pet and give you a 10% damage increase to compensate for the lack of additional DPS?

If you like the crappy pet system, then you’re free to use it. If you don’t, then you’re free to not use it. For the people who say don’t play the ranger if you don’t like the pet, what other class can I swap between sbow and lbow?

RIP in peace Robert

in Ranger

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

Don’t get me wrong, in certain situations I would have my pet out and use it for the most part. However, I would love the option for a permanent stow + slight damage buff – hell it could even be tied to pet on passive if they want.

in Ranger

Posted by: The Coma Kid.5184

The Coma Kid.5184

Forget it.

Ranger from GW1 was a “pet class” you didn’t have to bring your pet anywhere with you ever. And on some bosses you pet will be instakilled regardless with AoE being spammed everywhere (Arah giant anybody).

Another thing, it isn’t the same as a warrior saying to remove the greatsword, because they aren’t FORCED to use it. I don’t like having half of my class relying on AI ever, especially on a skill based game why does AI have to be a lot of damage. Lastly, if your friends think the pet is OP, they must be terrible, all my guild mates laugh at my pet if we 1v1.

Gwen Andraste – Human Elementalist
Nameless Accord [NA]
Your Cute [Babe] – Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: wrango.2590

wrango.2590

Forget it.

Wait, wait, wait; take a breath and do peace with your brain (no offense). A warrior can change weapon and still do a pretty good amount of damage; and, a warrior can chose if he like using a gs or not then change it… We can’t! Our pet “should” do from 40 to 50% of our dmg and he doesn’t! We can’t say “well, I dislike being a bm, I’m going to do more damage with my bow without a pet”, ‘cause we are linked to a pet that’s “supposed” to be there and work, but he doesn’t! I mean it is so frustrating for you guys if we ask for a little bit more open-choises game?
In the end, put it in your mind that since gw1 rangers weren’t a “pet class” only, they were also a pet class; which means you could choose wether to be a marksman or a beast master. We’re asking for more choosing option, nothing more…
Surely, I’m the first who yell “patch this kittening pet!” ‘cause if he could work as intended he’d be an awesome option, but we’ll love seeing him as an option!

(edited by wrango.2590)

in Ranger

AlexRD.7914

I could say the same to you wrango, i didn’t understand a single word that you said. The fact that you guys are nitpicking on the analogy i used shows how much you guys can’t argue that not having a pet is against the whole concept of a ranger.

Rangers are not restricted to bows, Aragorn was a ranger. Saying you want rangers petless because you want an archer is not a good argument, because you CAN be an archer with a pet, and being an archer with a pet is even better.

You shouldn’t be rewarded for bad pet management.

in Ranger

wrango.2590

I just said that we should choose like we could in gw1… What’s wrong in being able to choose how to play your class?
And, does Aragorn had a “mighty” bear who followed him?

(edited by wrango.2590)

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Darn it. Misleading thread title is misleading.
Another pet thread.

in Ranger

Posted by: Schrii.7064

Schrii.7064

I could say the same to you wrango, i didn’t understand a single word that you said. The fact that you guys are nitpicking on the analogy i used shows how much you guys can’t argue that not having a pet is against the whole concept of a ranger.

Picking apart your analogy is justified because it was bad.

A Warrior is not forced to use a great-sword. Rangers are forced to use pets, which account for a ridiculously high percentage of their total damage.

Warriors – Greatsword = Choice
Rangers – Pets = Forced

Rangers are not restricted to bows, Aragorn was a ranger. Saying you want rangers petless because you want an archer is not a good argument, because you CAN be an archer with a pet, and being an archer with a pet is even better.

I don’t see where Aragorn factors into this. Should we be able to raise an army of the dead, too?

Sure, being an archer with a pet is cool, and useful; If the pet works properly. Which in its current state, is most-often not the case.

You shouldn’t be rewarded for bad pet management.

Nor should we be gimped after being forced to use a class mechanic that is borderline broken.

in Ranger

Posted by: Joker.5016

Joker.5016

Ya, just lost a few minutes of my life I’ll never get back… but my 2cents is this… In gw1 the ranger had an pets as an “option” those of us who are long time Guild Wars players would just like to see that again in GW2, it was a wonderful class design that is sad to see missing from GW2.

Lieutenant of Reawakened[RE] ~ Sanctum of Rall

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I agree that they won’t remove pets, but there’s little in the history of “ranger” classes in games that presume pets are always tied to them. They’ve always been around in various helpful ways, but how many other games actually have a ranger class that have pets so intensely tied to it like they are in this game?

I really just think it was an unexpected dynamic for most people. Rangers in this game are pet classes, but in most other games they are way more bow oriented. It’s a little uncalled for to fume against players who simply are acting on a well-reinforced, pre-conceived notion of what “rangers” are. ANet’s ranger is hardly typical.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

in Ranger

AlexRD.7914

I just love it when i get quoted with phrases taken out of the whole text, making them look completely out of context or stupid.

Pets are NOT useless or broken, sure it needs a little bit of work still, but they are hardly useless. If you work with them, they will never be useless. Unless it’s a P/D thief, then GG.

How is the pet useless?
Please tell me, now i am curious ( not being sarcastic )

in Ranger

wrango.2590

In dungeons or w3 pet are useless, simply because they die in a flutter of a fly… I use the pet in passive mode and he attack only when I decide he could, I retreat him as soon as I see him taking damages that he can’t stand, I change before my pet die and even use unnecessary heal just to keep him alive. And, he still keep die in AE before I can retreat him… Against every boss or zerg v zerg I had to play without my pet for way too long time. Pet could be improved… A lot. And still, I maintain my opinion that we should be able to choose wether or not to use our pet.

Returning on OP topic, scouts ability were cool. Who knows, maybe in a future we will see scout #4 on our longbow, or even better on a crossbow as another one propose.

in Ranger

Posted by: Plague.6723

Plague.6723

Why don’t they just make it so the kitten pets can’t take any damage ever?

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Darn it. Misleading thread title is misleading.
Another pet thread.

No, It isnt intended as a pet thread, this is intented to say how happy I was with the wintersday scout and how much I wish ranger would either be turned into it or longbow would be made to mirror it. I dont give a flying kitten about pets, but atm there is no real archer class, and pets cause a very real problem for those wanting to be one. I would love it if longbow got reworked to be like that slingshot, or kittening shortbow for that matter. I want a charge up shot that hits like a train.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

Although I agree there should be an option for a ranger to play without a pet (Necros are a pet class but they have viable pet-less builds) I also see a lot of player not knowing how to utilize their pets, not the pets themselves being the issue but taking the blame. Specifically when jumping off a cliff and the pet pathing around through mobs. Jump, land, and hit the button to call your back up pet. Viola, no aggro.

I am not disagreeing that pet AI and pathing needs work, but I think you should at least try to work with the tools you are given.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dixa.6017

Dixa.6017

just play a longbow/rifle warrior

in Ranger

Posted by: Torguish.4786

Torguish.4786

I agree with the stow pet being continous as in the pet doesn’t come out until wanted.

BUT!

I think the ranger is a pet class and there shouldn’t be a buff for using a pet. They should rather buff pets for something like 30 – 50% less damage from AoE effects and give a little more survivability and the ability for us to actually control the pet. With this, i mean when i first saw ’’Guard’’ and ‘’Search and Rescue’’ i was a bit caught off guard.

This has been done before and given rangers dps with a pet it’s not that big of deal. Not to mention if pets were to be given this AoE resistance, they would be much more useful in not only PvE but also PvP.

Rangers, as for the lore etc, have always had their ’’loyal’’ pets as far as i’m concerned. If rangers wouldn’t have to use their pets, the class from the point of lore/idea would be violently violated. I can be wrong tho, englighten me if possible.

I just feel like Anet gives, us, rangers way too little freedom to use their pets in ways the want. Shouts like Guard or whatever should be something you could do without wasting a skill slot. Also i’d like my pets to use f2 ability sometimes automatically.

I’ll just put a closure of what i want from our fellow companions.

TL;DR

Combat:

• F2 automated if wanted.
  • Ability to control the use of other skills also. (I have when my bird buffs me with speed when i don’t need it.)
  • Some shouts without skill slot. (Like Guard)
  • Stowed until we actually want them to come out.
  • Better pathing and AI. They have to learn to run and attack at the same time. Even tho they can hit moving targets now, i still feel this is an issue.

Misc These are here for fun..

• So called ’’Challenge’’ tames for special and unique pet skins.
  • When you name a pet, the name stays even when you swap your pets around.

in Ranger

AlexRD.7914

in Ranger

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I just love it when i get quoted with phrases taken out of the whole text, making them look completely out of context or stupid.

Pets are NOT useless or broken, sure it needs a little bit of work still, but they are hardly useless. If you work with them, they will never be useless. Unless it’s a P/D thief, then GG.

How is the pet useless?
Please tell me, now i am curious ( not being sarcastic )

What I want to know is why you are so AGAINST having this option. How will you be affected negatively when I stow my pet because I want to be pure damage from a bow and not rely on AI.

The only other class that relies on AI for damage is a necromancer (also arguably broken) and that reliance isn’t nearly as much as a ranger.

RIP in peace Robert

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

Good god, you guys are still at it?

Ranger is the pet class. Deal with it, or reroll.

in Ranger

Posted by: Akisame.9508

Akisame.9508

Ranger’s are not suppose to be a pet class, lets start there. You can’t find me one story or anything where a ranger always had a pet by his side to help him do damage, not even Aragorn which you seem to like to refer to as a ranger had a pet. The concept of ranger’s having pets was started with WoW I think and that’s because they combined two classes that where similar into one class, a ranger and a beast master. Both master’s of the outdoors, medium armor user’s. This is the concept that GW is using as well, a ranger and a beast master mixed together. It’s not a true ranger, and the name should be changed to something else, like huntsman or something but a ranger we are not.

If Anet wanted to do this right they should have made ranger’s petless. If you wanted the pet then you can work on the BM trait line which would allow you to have a pet but in doing so you can’t put as many points into an archery line in order to be a true ranger.

As ranger’s who are also suppose to be master’s of the outdoors and silent hunter’s, which means we should have some form of stealth which is a common thing for ranger’s from game to game but not on GW2.

But when you look at ranger’s in this game, it just looks like it was thrown together half kitten just to have the class present. But the class is so unpolished that Anet themselves don’t know what they want from the class.

in Ranger

Posted by: Akisame.9508

Akisame.9508

Good god, you guys are still at it?

Ranger is the pet class. Deal with it, or reroll.

I would reroll, however, there is no True Ranger class in this game to reroll to and unfortunately, this is the closest class to ranger, although it’s really a beast master. Rogue’s are not really a ranged fighter, they are a melee fighter type. Warriors are not really a ranged fighter either, they are a get in your face and kitten you off type fighter. And the only ranged worth playing as a warrior is rifle, which is far from the ranger concept of archery/silent kill.