Hornet Sting+Monarch Leap targeting

in Ranger

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

How would Ranger mains feel if Hornet Sting was changed to similar targeting as Whirlwind Attack (select a direction to leap instead of moving directly back)? I feel like it would allow for much better control of the skill, while retaining the targeted leap that Monarch Leap has, but I don’t play Ranger all too often, so I’m just curious how people who do feel about this.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

It’d certainly be much more useful in my eyes as long as it properly connects when driven towards a target.

Since there is a few very different uses for the skill but often they backfire if you have auto targeting enabled (or do not), for example you can’t use it to make a double jump and escape if you have a target/auto target selected, and sometimes it’ll randomyl target a nearby mob and attack them when you wanted to use it to cover distance quickly.

I know this is largely user error, that I should learn to play without auto target but, it’s an annoyance nonetheless. Finer controls, rather than reliance on clunky targetting would be optimum

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Ranger

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I know the targeting in this game is clunky, but IMO you can’t play mainhand sword or greatsword properly without turning autotargeting off.

I turn it back on if going back to mesmer, as there’s nothing like swoop that requires detargeting on occasion (only phase retreat “advance”, if you use staff).

But coming back to the topic, it might be nice to have directional control on hornet sting, because sometimes it can throw you in an unintended direction, especially if there’s a bit of visual clutter in melee range (aoe fields, letting zoos, etc).

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

i don’t see it as a improvement to change the attack to a Directional arrow it’ll mean more management and most of the time , when im using main hand sword i click my macro button on my mouse for a muddy terrain and aim at the same time when leaping backwards , when i land at the end of the animation i instantly put down the muddy terrain , then ether escape or procced to the nearest field and make use of the chain leap.

with that above i posted trying to aim the sword leap would be good.
but the first in chain should be the same it would be too much mouse management when using Ground targeting skills in conjuction with the sword 2 chain.

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

i don’t see it as a improvement to change the attack to a Directional arrow it’ll mean more management and most of the time , when im using main hand sword i click my macro button on my mouse for a muddy terrain and aim at the same time when leaping backwards , when i land at the end of the animation i instantly put down the muddy terrain , then ether escape or procced to the nearest field and make use of the chain leap.

but the first in chain should be the same it would be too much mouse management when using Ground targeting skills in conjuction with the sword 2 chain.

Good job, you just admitted to something that is disallowed to do and can grant a permanent ban.

No one is allowed to use macros that do more than one action.
1 button = 1 action, okay
1 button = 2 action, leads to ban.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I think Hornet’s Sting is pretty good as it is.
You use it for it’s evade most of the time, so using that skill often feels like reactive/twitch gameplay. I don’t think that would be benefited too much by giving you options to think about like direction, and more buttons to press might hurt that gameplay more than help.

What could be improved by offering more direction control is Monarch’s Leap. Because it’s at that point in the chain when you decide what to do with your new position on the field, and there could stand to be more robust choices than ‘go back to the mob’, ‘stay here’ or ‘godawfully awkward double retreat’.

I think I’d prefer omnidirectional steering ala’ dodges over a ground targeted arrow. Like, press the walk left button at the same time as monarch’s leap, and you’ll leap to the left instead of forward. I see how ground targeted arrows can be bit micromanagey, and think omnidirectional steering could offer similar potential functionality with less required interaction.

Serpent’s Strike, though, that could use an actual targeting system of some kind.
Because the pathing really doesn’t work out reliably enough, I don’t want to roll to the right every single time, and I think what makes a weapon feel skillful should be skillfully executing an attack somewhere (instead overcoming a frustrating autoattack).

/edit: edited to explain why I think hornet’s sting is in a good place

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Good job, you just admitted to something that is disallowed to do and can grant a permanent ban.

No one is allowed to use macros that do more than one action.
1 button = 1 action, okay
1 button = 2 action, leads to ban.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

what are you talking about its one button then waiting for the animation to end then using a different button , moving the Aoe circle of a muddy terrain isn’t using two buttons at the same time its one after the other, its just optmialy timed for use striaght after one skill has ended …don’t insinuate bans on me.

this order >
Sword 2(waiting for animation to end)using mouse binded keys I’ve got a 5 button mouse and iv macro binded muddy terrain to it.
during sword 2 i get the muddy terrain ready , and ps you can’t do a thing till the sword leap backwards ends anyway. so im just saving time preping the loction of the Circle for muddy terrain before i can plant it.

its not 2 buttons at once so go away and don’t threaten bans.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

just wikid it i got that wrong its not a macro . :p i’ve just key binded it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I’ve got no issue with Hornet Sting as it is, but this actually would be a fairly cool change IMO.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I don’t like that at all. I just want the leap available without extra complications, so it’s fine as is for me.