How is Greatsword right now?

in Ranger

Posted by: MrSmiley.1543

MrSmiley.1543

Haven’t played in awhile, when I last played Ranger GS was considered pretty weak, has it improved at all since then?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

It’s one of my favorite weapons right now.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Great. If I could change 2 things it would be slightly faster cast time of 5 and 4 throw. You have to hit those Mauls to deal damage. The leap and blocks are great. Real all in one weapon imo.

in Ranger

Posted by: Loxsus.3841

Loxsus.3841

I have to agree and completely think it’s appropriate to have the 20% reduction on skills in the toughness line. It FEELS like an all purpose weapon but helps to be very sturdy. Between block on 4 (always blocking if it’s ranged attacks for the whole duration) and the autoattack giving you evade on every 3rd swing, plus an interrupt on 5, I wouldn’t be without it.

in Ranger

Posted by: kesuh.3891

kesuh.3891

Favorite weapon^^ or else I wouldn’t have made Sunrise for my Ranger

Its a Great! defensive weapon, but is a bit more offensiv now after a little boost :p

We can move while blocking with skill 4 and Maul skill 2 have been boosted a little

[keen] Far Shiverpeaks Eu-server
Sorel→~Saga/Ranger~Shadow/Guardian~Balthazor/Warrior

in Ranger

Posted by: zTales.4392

zTales.4392

Love it. I run Shortbow/Greatsword in all modes of play (PvE, sPvP, and WvW [small groups & roaming]) and it works like a charm. GS is a very well-rounded weapon.

I haven’t tried using it in dungeons, though.

Bri Dragonblight – Ranger | Bri Iceblight – Guardian
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Ranger

Loxsus.3841

Love it. I run Shortbow/Greatsword in all modes of play (PvE, sPvP, and WvW [small groups & roaming]) and it works like a charm. GS is a very well-rounded weapon.

I haven’t tried using it in dungeons, though.

I user it in dungeons and it works very well. The evade on every third attack on auto attack is a blessing and the weapon itself is very heavy aoe which is nice.

in Ranger

Posted by: Thorson.9218

Thorson.9218

Works well in WvW too. Players see a ranger and know if they get in melee range the ranger is in trouble (due to the damage going down as range decreases….a REALLY stupid mechanic IMO, but I digress…..). Swap to the GS and go to town. It adds a ton of survivability and Maul (GS 2) is a beast. GS 3 also comes in really handy to catch those runners. :-)

Come to us, you foes, and bring your flock.
For we will crush your bones on the Anvil Rock!

in Ranger

Loxsus.3841

GS 3 also comes in really handy to catch those runners. :-)

Or to be a runner yourself when you happen over that hill and see a wave of red coming your way O_O

in Ranger

Posted by: Thorson.9218

Thorson.9218

GS 3 also comes in really handy to catch those runners. :-)

Or to be a runner yourself when you happen over that hill and see a wave of red coming your way O_O

LOL. Very good point! :-)

Come to us, you foes, and bring your flock.
For we will crush your bones on the Anvil Rock!

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Greatsword is in a good place.

I don’t feel any changes should be made, except maybe buffing the Autoattack damage slightly.

It’s every other Ranger weapon which are broken…. -.-

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Still a little weak for Condition Builds, but for Power Builds its excellent

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Posted by: Toruk.5084

Toruk.5084

So ive recently returned and finished leveling my ranger to 80. I spent the entire time leveling as SB/A+H and honestly would love a change. Im thinking of running GS/S+H and building tanky soldiers (or sentinels i think is a set as well?? but not sure),with a 0/0/30/30/0/10 build and running sigils. I only really do pve and havent really experimented with dungeons much.

For normal pve i know builds mean little. But if i was wanting to run dungeons, would a build focused entirely on being “tanky” with GS be ok? Been reading through a lot of posts and more people tend to lean towards zerker gear for low tier dungeons. The guild im in probably doesnt care what build i run but id like to contribute my fair share. So basically, is stacking pwr/tough/vital viable?

Thanks,

in Ranger

Posted by: Rangeclaw.9473

Rangeclaw.9473

Love that.. Especially for that im a survival/tank player. And it suits me very well.

Survival!.. Every creatures on earth needs it.. why not u?

in Ranger

Posted by: Azeran Shade.6712

Azeran Shade.6712

I love the GS. GS 3 is amazing for WvW, since it let’s you traverse the map much faster. 5’s stun/daze is great, auto attack’s evade is great, Maul is great, and don’t get me started on how much I love the block. Overall, I’d say GS is the best weapon in the Ranger’s arsenal. I always use GS/SB in WvW, and switch to LB when I need long range AoE.

Azeran Shade – Ranger [BOSS]
Gate of Madness

in Ranger

Posted by: Arpheus.6918

Arpheus.6918

I can just confirm what was said here. Greatsword and shortbow are my favorite weapons. Both are just great.
GS has good AoE damage, block, an evade every 3rd hit of the autoattack chain, a charge/leap and a daze/stun. The charge is the only way for the ranger to move faster than the zerg if the entire zerg has swiftness. Even the sword 2 doesnt make you move faster than swiftness if you are out of fight. The greatsword does
A well rounded weapon.

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

I run GS/LB. LB is terrible but GS is pretty good. Not the weapon you want for high DPS, but definitely something to consider. You can dodge with your ‘1’ spam(don’t Autoattack it, though. It’s better to time your third strike that evades), plus your usual dodges, plus a block.

Then you can cripple with it, cross large distances, bleed, stun, inflict vulnerability… It’s a thoughtfully designed weapon. I recommend it. Just don’t expect to turn any tides, given that your pet is still stupid and still takes up a huge portion of your DPS.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears