How to counter strafing 1v1?

in Ranger

Posted by: FascistMuffin.2956

FascistMuffin.2956

Q:

I was 1v1ing a warrior on a fairly empty WvW world, and every time she absolutely murdered me because she was strafing and using her rifle with heat seeking bullets. She broke out of my immobilize and cripples and kept on strafing, which, I believe, messed with the pet attack, too. The only counter I found to this was to run away. Has anyone found a way to counter a constantly strafing person? I think other classes have caught on to the strafe video that was posted here

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

Arrows being absolute bollocks is the reason why I’ve abandoned bows completely and never looked back.

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Question, what were YOU attacking with?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: Prana.8690

Prana.8690

FascistMuffin:

Wait for the Dec. 14th patch. They are addressing the slow moving arrows issue in that patch.

in Ranger

Posted by: RummyTheMad.7290

RummyTheMad.7290

A few quick and dirty things you can try without knowing anything about your build:

More CC – entangle, traps, muddy terrain, canine pets, any pet with chill

Melee weapons – GS let’s you close the gap and has a block to counter the rifle butt. Sword has a lot of evasion, cripples and sticks you on your opponent.

Other stuff – Swiftness from WH, RaO, weapon swaps, and birds to maintain the gap size that you want. Confusion from reef drakes. More condition damage in general. Whirling axe (OH axe) for projectile reflection.

There are probably other things I’m forgetting right now, but those should give you a good start. If nothing else, there is an arrow speed increase allegedly coming in the 12/14 patch, so just hang tight.

in Ranger

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

move in a circle around them.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in Ranger

Posted by: Sleepy.2647

Sleepy.2647

Get closer? Problem solved.

in Ranger

Posted by: Momo.6972

Momo.6972

LOLOLOL to get closer problem solves Yeah walk closer to that warrior find out what happens when he spins to u LOL

in Ranger

Posted by: lchan.2169

lchan.2169

try being a trap expert….trap expertise and trap potency. You will be able to cripple him about 8-10 secs in combination with your SB cripple shot and with an Axe winter’s bite. Throw a flame trap and torch at it and watch the conditional damage. Throw in a viper’s nest so that he cannot get much health regen. Then use SB head shot to stun to buy yourself an additional 1 sec for all the cooldowns. Repeat the cycle by crippling him with crippling shot, traps, stun. Throw in poison volley and/or splitblade when you can preferably close for maximum damage since you will be near him when you dispose traps at it’s feet while having it crippled.

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

LOLOLOL to get closer problem solves Yeah walk closer to that warrior find out what happens when he spins to u LOL

If you are so blind to not notice when a warrior switches from Rifle to a melee weapon then you shouldn’t play this game.
Not to mention that a rifle build is pretty much horrible at anything else. A rifle warrior shouldn’t be a threat for a ranger, but it also depends on the build/gear you used.

(edited by Sleepy.2647)

in Ranger

Posted by: crebosh.3548

crebosh.3548

^ you do know you can swap weapons and activate a skill instantly right? its not like a warrior is gonna switch to sword wave at you and yell head start go. Telling someone to get closer when they are trying to stay ranged defeats the purpose. Why not just say if you want your arrows to hit use a sword?

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

There is a difference between getting closer and being in their face, just a hint. Shortbow arrows miss if you are really far away and they do the “belly dance”, but at mid range that won’t really happen and you’ll be safe from any “melee” attack.

(edited by Sleepy.2647)

in Ranger

Posted by: crebosh.3548

crebosh.3548

still doesn’t change the fact that telling someone to get closer when they are trying to range is poor advice.

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

Poor advice? So tell an advice by yourself instead?

It’s an advice, like it or not it works. Honestly, you can handle a warrior at really close range…hell, warriors are by far the easiest kill rangers have, but as i said it depends on what build the OP uses.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

How it would play out in my mind:
“I’ll swoop in with GS, interrupt her next attack with GS 5, block her subsequent attack with GS4 and knock her down. Then I’ll swap to LB and LB2 her while she’s getting up, then knock her back with LB4 and cast my CCs at her again. She doesn’t stand a chance!”

How it would play out on the battlefield:
I’d swoop in, get blocked, get CC’d, and get roflstomped. For added humiliation, my corpse may receive a /point followed by a /laugh.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -