Hunter's Shot change. Why!?

in Ranger

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Hunter’s Shot now grants 3 seconds on stealth instead inflicting 10 vulnerability for 10 seconds. This skill just went from a mainstay to “dead to me”. Thanks, Anet. Thanks a lot.

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

lol i guess not everyone can be pleased

in Ranger

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

You are getting vulnerability on rapid fire instead…

3 secs of stealth has loads more uses than the vulnerability…

For once its actually a good change…

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

:)

What NemesiS said! I like the change, especially in combination with Remorseless!

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

It’s not like they took away the vulnerability. They just gave you an actual reason to press rapid fire. Troll post?

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

With remorseless it resets opening strike which adds vulnerability as well, and since you went 30 into MM it will crit 100%.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

This thread confuses me.

All is vain.

in Ranger

darkace.8925

You are getting vulnerability on rapid fire instead…

3 secs of stealth has loads more uses than the vulnerability…

For once its actually a good change…

Rapid Fire is the poor man’s (close ranged) Long Range Shot. Or it was…

3 seconds of stealth is worth next to nothing for a non-thief PvEer.

:)

What NemesiS said! I like the change, especially in combination with Remorseless!

It used to be good for everyone who used the longbow. Now it’s decent for PvPers who use the longbow and the whatever percentage of PvPers who use both longbow and Remorseless.

RIP Hunter’s Shot. You’ll be missed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

rapid fire is 10 vuln now… i think it sounds like a pretty good change

… gonna have some fun in wvw

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

What part of half a dozen people telling you that the vulnerability is still there, its just moved to rapid fire, did you not understand? what part of “even more vulnerability via hunters shot+remorseless” did you not understand?

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

darkace.8925

It’s 1 vulnerability per shot. It’s 10 seconds of vulnerability spread out over 4.5 seconds. And that’s assuming all the shots hit. And even if they do, the first vulnerability is going to wear off before the last does, so it’s not a straight 10% damage increase like it was with Hunter’s Shot…my poor, dear Hunter’s Shot.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

What part of half a dozen people telling you that the vulnerability is still there, its just moved to rapid fire, did you not understand? what part of “even more vulnerability via hunters shot+remorseless” did you not understand?

What you don’t understand is that now you have to channel a garbage attack (rapid fire does less damage than longbow auto at 1k+ range) for 5 seconds to get the same amount of vulnerability as an attack that instantly put it up before.

And no one will take remorseless over beastmaster’s when it means losing 25% damage increase cooldown from signet active.

Think before you post please.

in Ranger

darkace.8925

What part of vulnerability on Rapid Fire is not the same as vulnerability on Hunter’s Shot do you not understand? What part of “not everyone runs Remorseless” do you not understand?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tadayoshi.2815

Tadayoshi.2815

It’s 1 vulnerability per shot. It’s 10 seconds of vulnerability spread out over 4.5 seconds. And that’s assuming all the shots hit. And even if they do, the first vulnerability is going to wear off before the last does, so it’s not a straight 10% damage increase like it was with Hunter’s Shot…my poor, dear Hunter’s Shot.

So your own build doesn’t work and you are to lazy to think of a new one adapting the crit chance, stealth and so one ? Well that’s bad for you, than you will never be good at this classl

in Ranger

darkace.8925

So your own build doesn’t work and you are to lazy to think of a new one adapting the crit chance, stealth and so one ? Well that’s bad for you, than you will never be good at this class

Tell you what. You reply to me like a grown up and I’ll respond to you like one. That’s how “discussions” work in the land of maturity.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

Moving vulnerability from HS to RF does result in bar compression. Isn’t that what Jon Sharp said back in the last SotG?

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Tell you what. You reply to me like a grown up and I’ll respond to you like one. That’s how “discussions” work in the land of maturity.

Land of maturity, huh? Thats a new one.

in Ranger

Posted by: Killsmith.8169

Killsmith.8169

The reasonable thing to do would be to wait until we actually know the amount/duration of vulnerability applied by rapid shot. If it applies more vulnerability than hunter’s shot, it may still be a net improvement.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Hmm. I think it might be worthwhile to see how these changes actually operate in practice before working ourselves up. It’s a pretty large overhaul to the weapon both mechanically and conceptually. While patch notes are a good summary, they’re not tooltips and nothing really beats getting the weapon in your hands and testing the feel yourself.

in Ranger

Raven.9603

What you don’t understand is that now you have to channel a garbage attack (rapid fire does less damage than longbow auto at 1k+ range) for 5 seconds to get the same amount of vulnerability as an attack that instantly put it up before.

And no one will take remorseless over beastmaster’s when it means losing 25% damage increase cooldown from signet active.

Think before you post please.

Ah, The Ranger Forum Troll appears.

The damage “loss” from using rapid fire is barely a loss.
It almost breaks even, complaints about it are incredibly exaggerated by, well, people like you. 4.5 second channel on rapid fire minus ~1 sec travel on the old Hunters Shot, you’ve lost a whole 3.5 seconds of max vulnerability uptime. Oh noes! Worth it for gaining stealth? yes!

No one will take remorseless?

Its now a 5% damage increase every 9.5 seconds (meaning permament 5% damage uptime), + more on kill. Signet of the wild is a 25% increase every 48seconds with signet trait (which will cost you either piercing arrows, eagle eye or 10% dmg), averaging out to 4.16% damage increase, not including whatever good damage trait you lost traiting for signet cooldowns.

Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

(edited by Raven.9603)

in Ranger

Posted by: Alkaholic.3875

Alkaholic.3875

Not to backup the troll but Sig of Stone was an invul too. Sig of the Hunt was a free sprint. U’re losing a lot more than 4.x% dmg.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

@OP
I understand why you are angry at the skill change, but have you been reading the Ranger Forums at all? Its like every day, a new thread gets posted talking (really, Whining is more the word) about how useless the Longbow is, and how Skills 2 and 3 need to be combined and something else needs to be put on Skill 3. So yeah, If Anet even sort of, maybe, possibly listened to the suggestions in the forums, everyone saw this change comming for months now.

@*Everyone Else*
Darkace and Zenith have a good point, instead of straight up 10 stacks of vulnerability (20 with opening strikes), you have a gradual increase, and a gradual decrease. You will have as much vulnerability as you did before, but you have to work more for it now, using Stealth, and a kill in combination with Remorseless in order to get it up that high. But since Opening Strike doesn’t stack, there is more oppurtunities to mess it up now too.

@Zentih
I always take Remorseless over Beastmasters, because despite the increase in damage, its an increase in damage for 8 seconds every 48 seconds (or 60 untraited). The Remorseless trait gives you opening strike every time you kill an enemy, with no recharge, which means Opening Strike can get reapplied constantly over those 60 seconds over what Signet of the Wild gives you. That makes it stronger for doing damage, and faster, atleast I think so.

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Its now a 5% damage increase every 9.5 seconds (meaning permament 5% damage uptime), + more on kill. Signet of the wild is a 25% increase every 48seconds with signet trait (which will cost you either piercing arrows, eagle eye or 10% dmg), averaging out to 4.16% damage increase, not including whatever good damage trait you lost traiting for signet cooldowns.

Yeah pertty much this. It will open up the way for some pvt builds so they can have 1 guaranteed crit every 9.5-12 secs. We’ll see I guess. Beastmaster’s is also perry popular because of Signet of Stone. We have to make some choices now. Its a nice change.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

@OP
I understand why you are angry at the skill change, but have you been reading the Ranger Forums at all? Its like every day, a new thread gets posted talking (really, Whining is more the word) about how useless the Longbow is, and how Skills 2 and 3 need to be combined and something else needs to be put on Skill 3. So yeah, In Anet even sort okittend, maybe, possibly listened to the suggestions in the forums, everyone saw this change comming for months now.

@*Everyone Else*
Darkace and Zenith have a good point, instead of straight up 10 stacks of vulnerability (20 with opening strikes), you have a gradual increase, and a gradual decrease. You will have as much vulnerability as you did before, but you have to work more for it now, using Stealth, and a kill in combination with Remorseless in order to get it up that high. But since Opening Strike doesn’t stack, there is more oppurtunities to mess it up now too.

@Zentih
I always take Remorseless over Beastmasters, because despite the increase in damage, its an increase in damage for 8 seconds every 48 seconds (or 60 untraited). The Remorseless trait gives you opening strike every time you kill an enemy, with no recharge, which means Opening Strike can get reapplied constantly over those 60 seconds over what Signet of the Wild gives you. That makes it stronger for doing damage, and faster, atleast I think so.

5% extra damage every 9.25 seconds is useless when in a PvE settings warriors can already get the boss to max vulnerability cap before the boss dies.

There are simply classes that do vulnerability much better than us, and if you’re using rapid fire on a boss to stack vulnerability you should be kicked from the group anyways as any competent group expects melee stacking for much better damage and boon stacking.

In a PvP encounter burst is far more valuable a tool than a few stacks of vulnerability that get cleansed immediately from light and water fields.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

The only skill that really has the distance requirement is Long Range Shot. You can stand on a boss’s toes and rapid fire to your heart’s content.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daze.6914

Daze.6914

Excuse me guys but what about Stability if you go for Remorseless and you use Entangle (in WvW)?

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

5% extra damage every 9.25 seconds is useless when in a PvE settings warriors can already get the boss to max vulnerability cap before the boss dies.

There are simply classes that do vulnerability much better than us, and if you’re using rapid fire on a boss to stack vulnerability you should be kicked from the group anyways as any competent group expects melee stacking for much better damage and boon stacking.

In a PvP encounter burst is far more valuable a tool than a few stacks of vulnerability that get cleansed immediately from light and water fields.

And when you are in a nice, empty, far flung part of the game world Like Orr where you are the only person around usually, and you have to solo the groups of enemies and champion yourself (which I do most of the time anyway)? You can apply that 5% extra damage alot more often than every 9.25 seconds. I also don’t run the Marksmanship trait line when in Dungeons, which gets rid of the need to ever worry about it anyways.

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Giving a ranged option to go stealth is a very powerful thing. You can unload some ranged damage/stack some vulnerability and then use hunter’s shot to either cause target drop and depriving your opponent a chance to hit back, or to invisibly close the gap before smacking them with some close-up damage. It makes your attack patterns very unpredictable. I think this will be a powerful change, as you can pew-pew-pew people even better now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Debois Guilbert.6413

Debois Guilbert.6413

Put me in the group who likes this change. I’ve never been able to use stealth effectively in PvE, but Rangers in PvE already seemed OP to me. Boss fights now taking longer because of reduced vulnerability? Well okay, but speed runs are not my thing. Stealth capping a downed opponent… maybe I’m evil, but it always makes me smile when Shared Anguish and Hide in Plain Sight both proc during a guardian cap.

Altoholic Luciana Delaluna, Ranger
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] – Gate of Madness
“This space intentionally left blank.” ~ Zork

in Ranger

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Put me in the group who likes this change. I’ve never been able to use stealth effectively in PvE, but Rangers in PvE already seemed OP to me. Boss fights now taking longer because of reduced vulnerability? Well okay, but speed runs are not my thing. Stealth capping a downed opponent… maybe I’m evil, but it always makes me smile when Shared Anguish and Hide in Plain Sight both proc during a guardian cap.

That’s another great point. Now LB rangers have an easy source of stealth to stomp those annoying warriors/engineers/necros.

in Ranger

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

@Daze
Thats the thing. We now have to make some choices when speccing. It’s a pretty new thing to rangers and I’m excited for it.

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

OMG I just realized, we can stealth stomp now

in Ranger

Daze.6914

@racta
Yes it’s true yet I think I will stick with my Stability, priceless in WvW. I’m looking forward to stealth like a thief though, have you guys managed to play already?

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

(edited by Daze.6914)

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

No update yet on EU.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Are you an idiot? The downtime of the signet is meaningless when Lupicus is killed in 46 secs-2 minutes by raw burst.

Obviously we’re talking with a kitten who’s done very little of PvE to claim that somehow remorseless will be useful to a group that can already stack vulnerability to begin with if you have 2 warriors in a group.

So all dps is relegated to 1 boss kill and 1 group comp now? The DPS sample time i used was 48 seconds just for that signet, which means Remorseless will STILL out dps SotW on a 46second Lupi kill. It would have to approach sub-40seconds to beat out remoresless by any significant amount.

Each warrior can maintain 10 stacks if using a greatsword. that leaves room for 5 stacks. 5 stacks that you can cover with Remorseless, if rapid fire is too much of a damage loss for you. Or you know, if your in a group that doesnt have have 2 greatsword warriors.

If you’re only considering melee ranger options the change to longbow is irrelevant to you.

On My mark, axe/mace, vuln on crit…. stop talking. On top of that you get vuln from the mesmer and guardian in your group.

And yes, I’m talking about specific group compositions. That’s the whole point of PvE, to optimize.

If you have any doubts that the current meta group can down most bosses in this game in less than 1.5 minutes, I’m going to drop this convo with you.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

Daze.6914

No update yet on EU.

I confirm that.

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

in Ranger

Raven.9603

On My mark, axe/mace, vuln on crit…. stop talking. On top of that you get vuln from the mesmer and guardian in your group.

And yes, I’m talking about specific group compositions. That’s the whole point of PvE, to optimize.

you talk about pve like its serious business. this is gw2 where anything is casual friendly. talking about optimized pve… but you have a warrior who chose rending strikes, uses axe/mace and took on-my-mark as one of his utilities. wooow. not sure if you’ve played a warrior much, let alone at end game. the guardians in groups are overwhelmingly staff/gs, theyre not bringing vulnerability. the mesmer can sustain 6stacks if using a GS, or 5 stacks using a 1h sword.

If we are talking about optimized pve the ranger would’nt have even made the team. this is about what longbow can do anywhere, not what they can do if they magically end up in a group comp that already supplies those exact same benefits. If you dont need the vulnerability for your comp after this patch you didnt need it before this patch either, so no harm done.

(edited by Raven.9603)

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

you talk about pve like its serious business. this is gw2 where anything is casual friendly. talking about optimized pve… but you have a warrior who chose rending strikes, uses axe/mace and took on-my-mark as one of his utilities. wooow. not sure if you’ve played a warrior much, let alone at end game. the guardians in groups are overwhelmingly staff/gs, theyre not bringing vulnerability. the mesmer can sustain 6stacks if using a GS, or 5 stacks using a 1h sword.

If we are talking about optimized pve the ranger would’nt have even made the team. this is about what longbow can do anywhere, not what they can do if they magically end up in a group comp that already supplies those exact same benefits. If you dont need the vulnerability for your comp after this patch you didnt need it before this patch either, so no harm done.

sword mainhand ranger has frost spirit and spotter to earn a group spot. If you opened with hunter’s shot that was an instant 10 vuln closing into melee range for boss.

Speed groups run berserk mainhand sword guardians. You don’t need staff with signet of inspiration and fgj+battle standard.

When you dismiss PvE in this game, let alone pretend to know what warriors run to begin with, it just tires me of you.

Good bye.

in Ranger

darkace.8925

It’s just another post exclaiming “Why are these changes not tailor made to me and only me.”

They get on my nerves :P

No, it’s not.

in Ranger

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

Darkace, ignore the attackers =)

My only advice to you is to try it out for a day or two and work around it. Who knows, you might find it much more useful in the end. Improvise, Ranger. If you don’t like it afterward, then lets go back on this and cry. If other rangers agree, A-net might do something about it.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

in Ranger

Posted by: Ultravalefor.5038

Ultravalefor.5038

has to be PvE players complaining about this, that’s why I don’t understand
…because this is the best change ever

Phaynel – recently voted the hottest Ranger in GW2 by everyone
married to Railspike the Red Alpha Golem
[PiNK] Toast Forever.

in Ranger

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

As a PvPer, this is a great change, agreed Ultravalefor. I sometime forget to separate PvE and PvP mindset.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Ok I had to stop reading this thread because my brain started hurting but am I the only one who noticed the thread was complaining about the lack of vuln on hunter’s shot now but turned into Zenith agreeing the change was crap and used the fact 2 Warriors can keep vuln up to the stack permanently as proof?

If the Warriors can keep the vuln up, who cares where it gets stuck on Rangers?

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Ok I had to stop reading this thread because my brain started hurting but am I the only one who noticed the thread was complaining about the lack of vuln on hunter’s shot now but turned into Zenith agreeing the change was crap and used the fact 2 Warriors can keep vuln up to the stack permanently as proof?

If the Warriors can keep the vuln up, who cares where it gets stuck on Rangers?

Or, you can take one ranger or one engi and keep up 25 vuln by them alone…. Logic, kitten it.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Silver.4798

Silver.4798

The whole point of PvE is to optimize group compositions? This is certainly news to me 0_0.

Assume what was said above is true. What that means is every class outside of warrior guard and mesmer is useless, unless apparently you run sword mainhand ranger with frost spirit and have the spotter trait, then these dedicated speed run group compositions will consider dropping one of the above and adopt a ranger.

Makes me wonder why anyone else bothers playing any other class or tries different builds. Because killing a boss in 2 mins rather than the 1.5 is a grave tragedy. I pity the fool who dislikes rolling a warr, going HB —> ww —> weapon swap —> axe 2 —> mace 4 —> axe 1 autochain —> weapon swap —> HB —> (… sigh).

Be reasonable man. I like the changes, I think it’s good for the ranger and opens exciting new possibilities to try. The stealth is a nice touch especially for people who are solo-ing PvE or WvW content.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

People need to stop complaining about a change they haven’t even tried yet. I think it’s an exciting one and look forward to trying it tonight. It’s nice to see the devs trying to give us some change. If the 10 stack of vul was so awesome why were so many rangers complaining about their class? it’s always going to be something so…embrace change and enjoy it sheesh. Next month it will be OMG why did they take stealth away lol

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

in Ranger

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

The change is amazing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

in Ranger

Posted by: Debois Guilbert.6413

Debois Guilbert.6413

Someone please explain to me why the change to Hunter’s Shot is a good thing. If I’m using a LB in the first place, I can’t fathom why the stealth with a short duration would be better than the old skill. If you’re actually at a distance where it matters than you’re playing your ranger+lb wrong.

In PvE stealth is close to useless, in WvW it is the most OP thing in the game (even three seconds and especially when roaming), and in sPvP it seems balanced about right. That is my experience anyway. In WvW think of Hunters Shot followed by swap to GS, drop target and Swoop in a random direction to escape (need auto-targeting off for this). You are gone and those you were just fighting are apoplectic. Plenty of other uses for stealth have already been discussed. On demand stealth is new to Ranger, so it will be interesting to see how it is used.

Altoholic Luciana Delaluna, Ranger
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] – Gate of Madness
“This space intentionally left blank.” ~ Zork

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

So your own build doesn’t work and you are to lazy to think of a new one adapting the crit chance, stealth and so one ? Well that’s bad for you, than you will never be good at this classl

Longbow rangers are terrible at the game if they needed combat stealth in PvE. For many PvE players this is now a nerf. It’s also weird because to get remorseless you have to choose between Piercing Arrows and Spotter, the former is basically necessary for any bow skill in the game and the latter is one of the best party buffs the class has.

This was a PvP change, it doesn’t really help many PvE builds, in some ways, it hurts them.

The change is amazing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

Or they play mainly PvE.

in Ranger

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

And this change makes one skill a total bore in PvE, in other modes very nice, but I can’t help but think a longbow redesign could have been better managed with all aspects of play in mind.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]