I find my ranger weak in pvp

in Ranger

Posted by: Avathor.1849

Avathor.1849

Title says it all. Just give it a go for 30 min all of you, then you can change the ranger as needed. Cause for sure, it is needed.

PS! Dont panic if you suck terribad, it is just the profession.

Thank you

Avathor

in Ranger

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

Like to know what your talking about, I’m having no problems sure fighting big zergs is bit on down side, but small scale battles we own.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in Ranger

Avathor.1849

Go to the Mist and try 8 vs 8 battles.

WwW is almost like pve and doesnt really count. Rangers are ok there hiding behind the zerg with ranged weapons^^ But it really isnt pvp were you try your skill and proffesion towards others.
I play alot of pvp and i do alright, really. But.. Try fight mesmers with 6 illusions out when your bow has a life of its own, always aiming for the least worthy target. Or try fight an assasin that has half a clue about stealth. Try limp your way out of battle, were other classes can remove conditions, stealth, teleport, speedboost, etc out of trouble. When your downed, you got the worst skills of them all, oh btw the pet is dead and too slow anyways. Were the other people can cloak, teleport, go as mist, blah blah blah all you got is a 2 sec delay cause of the daze-skill, then dead. Thats all it. To be ranger you need to be uberx10 to do decent.
It just isnt fun. Your bow autoaims, you controlskills just dont work 50% when you need them to and your basically a sitting duck.
Enjoy!

in Ranger

Posted by: Thelona.2874

Thelona.2874

Also not sure what your talking about, once I got my build right I haven’t had to much trouble with any class 1v1, aside from a very skilled thief or mesmer.

Maybe you should be more specific about what your beef is, the pet AI? our dmg output? if your saying ranger sucks in pvp all around your obviously not doing something right.

Edit:: (you replied while i was typing)

Sounds to me like you need to focus a bit more on survivability, yeah a glass cannon traited rangers is gonna get pwned in 3 secs by a group of players, but if you use the many evasive/survival skills we have, rangers are exceptionally hard to kill.

Also dont use your bow when fighting a mesmer, bash his facein. that Gsword auto attack does more dmg at range, and alot less if your in the mesmers face. Mark your target and ignore his copies.

(edited by Thelona.2874)

in Ranger

Posted by: Deathbearer.2438

Deathbearer.2438

Well…ranger is a pure ranged class so it excels in ranged battles…sPVP is not a typical ranged battle that’s why all major sPVP-ers that still want to use ranger in order to PVP in that way use GS, sword etc…the good thing about mists is that you dont have to spend time to lvl a character so my advice is use a profession that is good for sPVP like guardian, warrior, thief etc etc etc…and if you think WvsW is PVE then you simply have no clue. To me it’s more PVP than the sPVP where all tactics focus on how to capture points and stay alive until my mates come etc etc..

Guardian lvl 80
Warrior lvl 80
Ranger lvl 80

in Ranger

Avathor.1849

Well, despite everything, i do alright. But with no conditionremoval, no stunbreaker, elite-Entangle actually MISS opponents.. how can a spell from the ground miss? Does it have anything to do with skills? Our downed state is the worst. Alot of times when alot of opponents around and i got my target ready for the last two arrows before i kill then auto-aim will choose another target at the back of the enemy line and in the lagg that occurs i cant point the mouse to the first target= cheap getaway for them.
All i am saying is try for yourself, and youll see.
As i said, i do well most of the time. But when some assasin or mesmer comes with 6 phantasms all you can do is run, or die. And you run, and your crippled, and you limp, and your dead. Thanks^^

in Ranger

Posted by: Deathbearer.2438

Deathbearer.2438

I agree that we have one of the worst downed states in the game but for example guardian’s aren’t better.

Thief and mesmer are a ranger’s hardest opponents for the reasons you already mentioned but we cant win any profession…some professions are destined to do better against others ( i know thieves do better against almost all ,lol, but that’s a sad exception)

I have good chances against other rangers, guardians, warriors (that are not tanky specced), engineers…that’s ok for me:)

btw we have 2 stun breakers, you can use healing spring and bear’s F2 for condition removal etc…I know they are not that great but they are available

Guardian lvl 80
Warrior lvl 80
Ranger lvl 80

(edited by Deathbearer.2438)

in Ranger

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

I support pushing for ranger pvp buffs, but I think you need to be more specific. Mesmers, thieves, and d/d elementalists when played well are very tough for any class to beat. The issue is that you really have to make a specific build that counters thieves etc, although not sure any build can beat d/d ele.

Anyway lets take a look at your issues.

1) Ranger downstate is no good: actually it is now pretty good (after buff). In a 1vs1 you should beat any class except warrior or mabye mesmer if you both go down. In a group situation it is not as good though. Also do not forget wolf F2 fear when downed- if all goes well you get at least 2 chances to abort a stomp- that is better than many classes.

2)There is condition removal and stunbreaker ulilities, not sure what you mean. However, we do not have these attached to our weapon skills like say a thief does, so yes that part is not so good. For example why does the thief sword have a teleport/stun/return/cure 2 conditions as 1 skill! compared to equivalant ranger sword skill of leap back (kind of evade) leap forward and cripple. That thief sword ability is vastly superior.

3) Entangle- a wonderful spell but can be easily chopped away or gotten out of with teleports and condition removal- far less powerful than Moa but still extremely useful for escape/trapping/noob crushing.

4)auto target- this is not a ranger only issue, just turn it off in options if its causing you pain.

5) well you didn’t actually say anything else, but it would be great if you could think through the issues and list some more reasons that you find ranger a pain to play in spvp.

One thing I will say though is that I think the ranger class is more suited to being a damage soaker than a glass canon because it doesn’t have the breadth of escape mechanisms/healing/inate defenses other classes do. That is why trap builds are popular-there is a synergy with toughness and condition damage. Another nice build is B/M and N/M focus. Very durable but able to use pet to do high damage.

Despite that, I usually run a more glass canon/balanced spec with lots of evasion and mobility, but the sacrifice I have to make is that those pesky pistol/dagger thieves, mesmers and d/d eles will usually own me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

Well…ranger is a pure ranged class so it excels in ranged battles…sPVP is not a typical ranged battle that’s why all major sPVP-ers that still want to use ranger in order to PVP in that way use GS, sword etc…the good thing about mists is that you dont have to spend time to lvl a character so my advice is use a profession that is good for sPVP like guardian, warrior, thief etc etc etc…and if you think WvsW is PVE then you simply have no clue. To me it’s more PVP than the sPVP where all tactics focus on how to capture points and stay alive until my mates come etc etc..

Bullkitten, there is no such thing as “pure ranged” or “pure melee” every class is strong on both by design. There is NO class though, in which ranged is better than melee for small scale PvP. In the current state of PvP, unless you are a zergling in WvW, go melee or go home.

~Shadowkat

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

@Yasha

I thought about a trap build…until I saw that 2 of our best traits for that(Trapper’s Expertise and Trap Potency) are both in the Skirmishing traitline. I just don’t get it, why are traits that only benefit from conditions in the prec/crit line??

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

Posted by: CRrabbit.1284

CRrabbit.1284

I think at least 50% of rangers will disagree with you that rangers are weak in sPVP, especially in 1v1. Yes there are some hard classes to beat in pvp but ranger can definitely give any other classes a hard time too.
For WvW, it really doesn’t matter which class you are and what you do if you just simply follow zerg. However in strategy level, ranger’s role in WvW is as godly as mesmer since our pet can do the dirty job which no one else can do, in this meaning I would even say rangers are extremely OP in WvW. I am even afraid that Dev gonna nerf some ranger skills in next patch.

PS: in fact I would like to see more QQing posts like this coz it may mislead Dev to give us better support. But if you understand what I mean, keep low profile please, we don’t want to be Thief II or Mesmer III.

(edited by CRrabbit.1284)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Title says it all. Just give it a go for 30 min all of you, then you can change the ranger as needed. Cause for sure, it is needed.

PS! Dont panic if you suck terribad, it is just the profession.

Thank you

Avathor

Um, i have PvPed with a ranger dev (i knew by the red Anet Icon next to him and his pets names) and he was wrecking face so maybe it’s just you being bad and not the prof? Because i certainly don’t have issues with it… and i’ve -only- seen Ranger Devs, so the whole “Oh no Devs play rangers!” bull kitten is false.

EDIT: Btw, the one i saw PvPing had 30pts in Marksman because he had signet of the Wild (made him and his pet grow), don’t remember what else he had, i just remember he had that and would burst people down from really far away while his Drake Hound ran around making people unable to get to him. He did use a Longbow though, don’t know his other weapon set, never saw it.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

(edited by Durzlla.6295)

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Rofl, man some people just don’t get how the ranger is played.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Posted by: DancinPuppeh.8421

DancinPuppeh.8421

There’s nothing wrong with the profession in PvP… Truth is any profession you chose you can find at least one problem… You could even got thief and complain that it can be instantly killed if stunned, and a good enough Warrior gets hold of them.

The reason Ranger “Sucks” in PvP is cause most Rangers are doing it wrong… Ranger isn’t supposed to be dealing a ton of damamge or taking a ton of damage, you’re there to be a pain in kitten and help out from afar.

Personally I’m not the best at PvP but I still manage to do alright in PvP. Barrage on a point is effective at keeping enemies off it, or killing any who stay on it. Also good at taking out downed people without needing to run though the crazy battle

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

There’s nothing wrong with the profession in PvP… Truth is any profession you chose you can find at least one problem… You could even got thief and complain that it can be instantly killed if stunned, and a good enough Warrior gets hold of them.

The reason Ranger “Sucks” in PvP is cause most Rangers are doing it wrong… Ranger isn’t supposed to be dealing a ton of damamge or taking a ton of damage, you’re there to be a pain in kitten and help out from afar.

Personally I’m not the best at PvP but I still manage to do alright in PvP. Barrage on a point is effective at keeping enemies off it, or killing any who stay on it. Also good at taking out downed people without needing to run though the crazy battle

THIS, it’s the exact same as it was in GW1, can we do tons of damage of survive significantly better than everyone else? No, but my god can we stay around longer than the average person and just be a total nuisance with all our conditions and control.

If you want big damage numbers you’re playing the wrong prof, ranger has never, and will never, have big damage numbers we -will- have a constant sea of numbers dancing before us though, as well as the ability to troll the kitten out of most people with all our snares and evades, and CC.

in Ranger

Posted by: Abyssay.2837

Abyssay.2837

WwW is almost like pve and doesnt really count.

Nuff said!

Abyssay 80lv Ranger of Necrosis Piken Square

in Ranger

Posted by: Talve.9027

Talve.9027

Try fight mesmers with 6 illusions out when your bow has a life of its own, always aiming for the least worthy target.

1. Turn off auto targeting. This game does not require a lot of hotkeys and you still have access to modifier keys. Use hotkeys for targeting.
2. Really depends on your build.

Or try fight an assasin that has half a clue about stealth.

On you average thief case, you have very very good chance, if you play your cards right. They can melt you if you make a mistake, but so can you melt them. But again, depends on the BUILD (yours and hes).

Only thief build good rangers have always had trouble with has been unicorn (specially if you have to fight him on the point 1v1).

When your downed, you got the worst skills of them all, oh btw the pet is dead and too slow anyways.

Oh you got it all wrong. Ranger has one of the best down states.
Btw you do know that you can use all your pet’s abilities as well as swap out your pet while your downed?
Loads of damage from the pet, chance to let the pet revive you, nice daze and not to mention depending on your pet, additional useful abilities.

For example on my build i was able to daze + fear from wolf + use my dogs immobilize to keep people from getting back to me after the fear in 1 downstate. Plus i was tanky as it was condi ranger + your dog/wolf do hes knockdown (often when you switch them in which you can do while downed). Also your pet still hits like a truck when your downed as ranger is balanced around the idea that lot of your damage comes from the pet. So yeah, don’t mess with downed ranger, specially if you can’t stability stomp him.

Only downstate you will have to worry about as ranger is mesmer’s (depending on the crits you receive).

Entangle actually MISS opponents..

If someone evades, including your normal every day dodge, it will miss. Like every other power in game (unless it is traited to make in unblockable), it will not win against a well timed dodge. And it is not meant to.

Now, i only run with entangle, if i was on a map where i knew i will run into a huge team fight right away (Keep on Forest of Niflhel). As it can help to cause a little havoc if used well.
Now, damage has always had a scaling problem, as well as it is not the most reliable power. If you want to be strong in 1v1 or small scale battles, take Rampage As One. Stat boost + 20 second stability with a short enough cooldown to use it over and over again = amazing elite.

OK, i get to the point.

Truth be told, the main issue i had with ranger was the lack of viable builds. On my case abilities i wanted to have as ranger always came from either high trait slots or utility slots over your weapon slots.
ALL of my builds run with 30 in wilderness survival and at least 5 in beastmastery (as you don’t want to live without a quickness revives after you start using them xD).
Most of my builds run with 30 in skirmishing too(as most of them were somewhat trap based).

Now not a lot of points to spare, is there?

My weapons and utilities were pretty…static as well…

While with any other class i played…except ele (where i only run with staff tank ele), i always found different builds to run around with.

With my ranger, who i used for about 90% of my playtime and who i used mainly in my teams 5v5 sPvP composition has pretty much same build since the first game until i became inactive. (i think i swapped 1 trait, 1 utility, 1 of the weapons and 1 weapon sigil in that whole time).

So yes, i felt that in order to stay competitive, the amount of options i had to play around in my builds were…very limited. Now every single class has some kind a limitations, but on ranger i felt that it was kind a…extreme case.

EDIT:
Wanted to add that i was our teams dedicated guy to be thrown into 1v1-s against enemy team mesmers on treb or any 1v1 on our treb depending on opponents. Well played ranger can be very good in 1v1 and no → ranger does not have to hide behind someone else.

Noexc / Ranger
Talve / Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Talve.9027)

in Ranger

Posted by: FLFW.3105

FLFW.3105

Didint even bother to read actually. Yes ranger needs tweeking but generally its very good class for pvp. 8/10 matches im Top player in game playing my ranger.

GuildWars 2 is good game with bad management.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Ranger utility sucks, is the big problem. Being a decent 1v1 class doesn’t mean much when a guardian or ele are similarly good at outlasting damage but bring so much more utility to their team.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lavexis.5360

Lavexis.5360

OP seriously need to l2p..or you know what op try duel my ranger and i let you use all the classes .. give me a pm.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

OP seriously need to l2p..or you know what op try duel my ranger and i let you use all the classes .. give me a pm.

1-2 viable builds doesnt make the class good. Evasion tank and trap ranger are about the only thing worth using. I personally want a kitten longbow glass cannon build. Cant do that currently, not viably.

in Ranger

Adaneshade.2409

No class can build glass cannon and defeat defensive builds. Glass cannon is for PvE, no place in PvP.

~Shadowkat

in Ranger

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Ranger has ONE stun breaker, O-N-E. You know anet spent time on this class and polished it nicely. Lmao 1 freaking stun breaker and its 45sec recharge lol since game was launched i’m still laughing when i talk about rangers. Lets take another example. Longbow. What skill is useful on a longbow? One skill… Barrage. You take a longbow, use barrage and switch to another weapon without even thinking to swap back for 30sec. I don’t play nec and i heard bad things about necs. I also do some spvp and play against tones of necs and a necro is 1000x better than a ranger could ever be. Trash elites, garbage skills on short/long bows, sword, dagger, axe and why the **** are we rooted when throwing skill 4 on GS? like wtf? Torch is the only acceptable weapon ranger has (for condition builds) but you can’t run an offhand with a ******** main hand. Anet, look at what rangers were in gw1 and plz, plz copy/paste if you’re that lazy and don’t want to reinvent the class properly. A ranger is supposed to be swift=most blocks in the game, multiple evades that don’t suck, lounges and have decent swiftness which they at least do now. Ranger has range in its name, you’re supposed to be the best at that and right now they’re… Simple question, were all ranger skills made in 1 day? Seriously, how can every single skill (but barrage) on a long and short bow suck that much? Were they even testing them? Some times i wish gw2 just died and everyone went back to gw1, at least rangers were sick there.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Ranger

Adaneshade.2409

Ranger has ONE stun breaker, O-N-E. You know anet spent time on this class and polished it nicely. Lmao 1 freaking stun breaker and its 45sec recharge lol since game was launched i’m still laughing when i talk about rangers. Lets take another example. Longbow. What skill is useful on a longbow? One skill… Barrage. You take a longbow, use barrage and switch to another weapon without even thinking to swap back for 30sec. I don’t play nec and i heard bad things about necs. I also do some spvp and play against tones of necs and a necro is 1000x better than a ranger could ever be. Trash elites, garbage skills on short/long bows, sword, dagger, axe and why the **** are we rooted when throwing skill 4 on GS? like wtf? Torch is the only acceptable weapon ranger has (for condition builds) but you can’t run an offhand with a ******** main hand. Anet, look at what rangers were in gw1 and plz, plz copy/paste if you’re that lazy and don’t want to reinvent the class properly. A ranger is supposed to be swift=most blocks in the game, multiple evades that don’t suck, lounges and have decent swiftness which they at least do now. Ranger has range in its name, you’re supposed to be the best at that and right now they’re… Simple question, were all ranger skills made in 1 day? Seriously, how can every single skill (but barrage) on a long and short bow suck that much? Were they even testing them? Some times i wish gw2 just died and everyone went back to gw1, at least rangers were sick there.

Think you should look back over your utilities. I can think of 2 right off the top of my head. (signet of Renewal, and lightning reflexes)

~Shadowkat

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

No class can build glass cannon and defeat defensive builds. Glass cannon is for PvE, no place in PvP.

You are obviously a pver, any real pvper knows glass cannons have a huge place in pvp, and fyi, I beat defensive builds all the time with my glass cannon build. Its not hard since defensive builds lack almost any form of damage.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Think you should look back over your utilities. I can think of 2 right off the top of my head. (signet of Renewal, and lightning reflexes)

I actually agree with his other comments, but yea we do have 2 stun breaks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lavexis.5360

Lavexis.5360

1-2 viable builds doesnt make the class good. Evasion tank and trap ranger are about the only thing worth using. I personally want a kitten longbow glass cannon build. Cant do that currently, not viably.

then that is not the ranger class problem.
- guardian are forced to go bunker and so does ele in tpvp.
- warriors are forced to go 100b in tpvp.
- thief are forced to go glass cannon in tpvp.
- mesmers are supposed to have portal and time warp.
and i can go on

in wvw, spvp and even duels spirit build could work..

in Ranger

Nuka Cola.8520

Renewal is the the one i was referring to and missed signet but would you actually spend an utility slot for these two garbage skills if you’re playing competitively? I sure would not…

in Ranger

Adaneshade.2409

The fact that they are stun breakers makes them instantly not “garbage”.

~Shadowkat

in Ranger

Adaneshade.2409

You are obviously a pver, any real pvper knows glass cannons have a huge place in pvp, and fyi, I beat defensive builds all the time with my glass cannon build. Its not hard since defensive builds lack almost any form of damage.

Pit any class glass vs defensive in single combat and see who wins. I’ll pit any glass cannon build you can come up with on any class vs my tank in 1v1. We’ll see just how “weak” my damage is against your paper thin build.

~Shadowkat

in Ranger

Avathor.1849

I play alot of pvp in the mists and i notice when i meet a good player. The other proffesions can beat me, although more rarely unless the player is good^^ I also nail nine out of ten rangers i meet (actually i think i just lost twice to other rangers in a fair one-on-one fight were both are prepared. One guy had 3 spirits^^ that cought me totally off guard lol).
What i am looking for is the proof from anet that if your good then you can beat all proffesions, because it should be about skills. What i experience is that in most cases it is true. Some warriors, guardians, etc can beat me even if i am prepared for them, although more rarely. But the mesmer and assasin gives me kind of the same feeling as i got back in the old days with the necro bloodspike-gvg teams. A bunch of 6 year olds laughing while hitting their buttons and pwn even the most experienced of teams. That made me rageleave GW for half a year. No skills, only builds. I dont want this to be all over again. This game is either about playerskills, as anet states it is, or its not. If not i rather play pve with my ranger and just choose only the OP-class in pvp. Why make life harder then needed.

in Ranger

Posted by: vitigis.4160

vitigis.4160

I’ve beaten every class and every common build 1v1 scenarios in Wv3 and tpvp on my evasion tank ranger. Sure it takes a while due to the Ranger class complete lack of any real burst, but knowing your terrain, anticipating your enemies next move, and paying attention to THEIR cool downs as well as your own will serve you well (this will require you to spend time playing every class in the game in pvp to a degree). You can out evade/dodge even the most acrobatic of theives with sword/dagger and traits that give you a lot of vigor and such.

While i know that the Ranger class is full of bugs and has a lot of really bad/useless utilities, it is far from broken or unplayable. The Ranger profession can absolutely dominate in the right hands.

/edit
The reason the Ranger is my main pvp choice is the challenge of it. It’s extra satisfying stomping a BS theif or a mesmer on my ranger. Bonus points when they whisper me for my build. Extra bonus points when they ask about runes/sigils/utilities. Extra Extra bonus points when they call the class OP. If I could save those tears in a jar, I would.

If I get too drunk to play well, I just fall back on my Mesmer or BS thief and go easy mode.

Q-everyone has it better than me-Q

(edited by vitigis.4160)

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

Renewal is the the one i was referring to and missed signet but would you actually spend an utility slot for these two garbage skills if you’re playing competitively? I sure would not…

While i’m not a huge fan of SoR, mainly cause I run Empathetic Bond, how could you possibly say Lightning Reflexes is Garbage? Its an Evade + Stun Break + 10 Seconds if Vigor.

Its an amazing ability

in Ranger

Nuka Cola.8520

While i’m not a huge fan of SoR, mainly cause I run Empathetic Bond, how could you possibly say Lightning Reflexes is Garbage? Its an Evade + Stun Break + 10 Seconds if Vigor.

Its an amazing ability

Because for the extremely long CD it should be better. For example, apply camouflage after skill is being used or 2sec of quickness. For the long CD the things it does isn’t worth it.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

Its an amazing ability

Because for the extremely long CD it should be better. For example, apply camouflage after skill is being used or 2sec of quickness. For the long CD the things it does isn’t worth it.

its 45 Second Cool down, which is almost standard for most Stun Breakers in this game.

We also already have 2 Ways to get Quickness Already, another way would be pointless.

in Ranger

Nuka Cola.8520

Its an amazing ability

its 45 Second Cool down, which is almost standard for most Stun Breakers in this game.

We also already have 2 Ways to get Quickness Already, another way would be pointless.

I wouldn’t be pointless, you’re ranger and supposed to be swift. Only 2sec too, no 5+ or it’ll be op. I don’t know stun breakers from all classes but those available to mesmer are much better and there’s plenty.

in Ranger

Xsorus.2507

Its an amazing ability

I wouldn’t be pointless, you’re ranger and supposed to be swift. Only 2sec too, no 5+ or it’ll be op. I don’t know stun breakers from all classes but those available to mesmer are much better and there’s plenty.

We talking about Swiftness or Quickness.

Mesmer’s Stun Breakers are all comparable to ours, they just have a lot of them.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

I’ve beaten every class and every common build 1v1 scenarios in Wv3 and tpvp on my evasion tank ranger. Sure it takes a while due to the Ranger class complete lack of any real burst, but knowing your terrain, anticipating your enemies next move, and paying attention to THEIR cool downs as well as your own will serve you well (this will require you to spend time playing every class in the game in pvp to a degree). You can out evade/dodge even the most acrobatic of theives with sword/dagger and traits that give you a lot of vigor and such.

While i know that the Ranger class is full of bugs and has a lot of really bad/useless utilities, it is far from broken or unplayable. The Ranger profession can absolutely dominate in the right hands.

/edit
The reason the Ranger is my main pvp choice is the challenge of it. It’s extra satisfying stomping a BS theif or a mesmer on my ranger. Bonus points when they whisper me for my build. Extra bonus points when they ask about runes/sigils/utilities. Extra Extra bonus points when they call the class OP. If I could save those tears in a jar, I would.

If I get too drunk to play well, I just fall back on my Mesmer or BS thief and go easy mode.

I think thats the problem people expect to press 1 once (auto attack )and own.

With a ranger you at least have too: 1, 1, 1, = sword auto attack off 4, 5 ,= torch, pet swap for kd and quickness, 7=zyphers quiness,1,1,1,1 —-——- F. And some were in there use serpent strike to lower healing or swithc to sb for the heal interrupt.

Its the reason I play a ranger becuase it not just 1111. I for one never used the sb before the neft becuase it was to boring. It took no skill.

That and I have a played other classes and I dont like them at all. Ele no weopan swap the the hell. Thief initiative. And stealth isnt all that. Mesner takes forever to kill stuff.
Guardian The whole concept of having heavy armor and a crap load of heal skill so your expected to tank and kite in dungeons.

I like playing my ranger according to what mood im in. And not having to do x.
I guess that a bonus when people under estimate your class.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

(edited by Moderator)

in Ranger

Posted by: Geewoody.2017

Geewoody.2017

Hey, what’s your build?

in Ranger

Posted by: Iove.3902

Iove.3902

I wanna know what build you guys are using. I have been playing ranger in sPvP the past few days as a supposed GC spec and I don’t feel glassy and our damage is insane. >.>

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

I wanna know what build you guys are using. I have been playing ranger in sPvP the past few days as a supposed GC spec and I don’t feel glassy and our damage is insane. >.>

If you find rangers to have insane damage, then the other classes must be gods to you.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

If you find rangers to have insane damage, then the other classes must be gods to you.

Actually we do…. I can drop a thief (regardless of condi or BS build so far haven’t seen others) within the 3s they can’t stealth… Is it all in one skill? No, is it in one attack? No, it’s in a chain of skills (Sick’Em, QZ, sword 1 + cat) retaliation/confusion can partially counter this due to it being a lot of attacks, but most of the time you can burst down their healthbar BEFORE that takes you down.

Not to mention you don’t -need- to pop QZ and/or Sick’Em for damage, just ball busting burst that bends bunkers and glass cannons to their knees if they don’t block/avoid it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

I just wanted to ask for how long has the OP been playing PvP?
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not gonna start with the “show me your qualifying points n00b!!!” and stuff like that. But if you have just a little experience in PvP maybe you should be more patient, adjust your build and keep practising.

I find the ranger to be great for sPvP, way more than for WvW. Basically because in WvW I have to waste 20 points in longbow range and skill recharge.

And btw, people complain about our downed state. Apparently our pets revive and the fact that our canines can still knock enemies down and our wolf can still apply fear while we are downed is too OP.

Avathor.1849

Well, despite everything, i do alright. But with no conditionremoval, no stunbreaker, elite-Entangle actually MISS opponents..

Condition removal: Healing Spring, Empathic Bond, Signet of Renewal.
Stun breaker: Shared Anguish, Signet of Renewal, Lightening Reflexes.

And yes, I don’t mind if people dodge my Entangle, but I know as a fact that sometimes you can just walk away from it.

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in Ranger

Posted by: Millionaires.4201

Millionaires.4201

Go to the Mist and try 8 vs 8 battles.

WwW is almost like pve and doesnt really count. Rangers are ok there hiding behind the zerg with ranged weapons^^ But it really isnt pvp were you try your skill and proffesion towards others.
I play alot of pvp and i do alright, really. But.. Try fight mesmers with 6 illusions out when your bow has a life of its own, always aiming for the least worthy target. Or try fight an assasin that has half a clue about stealth. Try limp your way out of battle, were other classes can remove conditions, stealth, teleport, speedboost, etc out of trouble. When your downed, you got the worst skills of them all, oh btw the pet is dead and too slow anyways. Were the other people can cloak, teleport, go as mist, blah blah blah all you got is a 2 sec delay cause of the daze-skill, then dead. Thats all it. To be ranger you need to be uberx10 to do decent.
It just isnt fun. Your bow autoaims, you controlskills just dont work 50% when you need them to and your basically a sitting duck.
Enjoy!

A ranger should not be close to the battle, I learned that when I hit 80 but I do agree the aiming sucks and the pets dodgy AI is terrible to.

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

People actually lose to a Ranger? I don’t lose to other Rangers, on my Ranger. <laughs>

I’ve never lost a single fight to a Ranger on my 80 Guardain, 80 Warrior, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief, nor my 60 Mesmer.

I’m astounded by the lack of skill other players have, when I kill them on my Ranger.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: IBishopI.3102

IBishopI.3102

Glass cannon Theif still does a 24k burst on my Tank Warrior… Full exotics

leaving me at 1/6th hp from an invisible burst.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

I came up with an sPvP build using greatsword cuz Norn rangers should use greatsword given how cool those animations are and how they fit with the Norn animal spirits.

Anyway, I was taking two on one fights and winning, so I was happy.

The secret to the build is everyone ignores the pet. They do get caught up in AoE’s, but you want to rapid swap them anyway so who cares

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

in Ranger

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

Brb OP uses auto attack
Brb OP says rangers have no stun break
Brb OP says rangers have no condi removal
Brb OP says mesmers have 6 clones
Brb OP calls himself skilled
Brb brb

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

You have asked the author of the thread to point out the main beef with Ranger.

1) You have to play with a pet. If you stow it in PvE and attack, the pet comes out and attacks. PvE AI many times attacks pets..which sucks if your a trapper. 50% of your given damage in PvP is assigned to your pets. Your pet is AI controlled. They will miss against moving targets. In PvP everyone is moving..this means 50% of your dmg output will have high chances of missing. A fully spec pet will do more damage than a power/prec spec sPvP ranger. This means your damage supports the pets..it should be the other way round. The pet is easily confused by people jumping off walls or running round rocks. This is terrible considering 50% of your dmg and 50% of your traits and 30% of your skills are all assigned to pets who will run the long way round to pursue kiting foes.

They have very limited stun breaks. The one they do have reduces healing by 50% and has a 45+ second recharge. This is pathetic.

They have no invulnerability. Mesmers, thiefs, necro, guardian all have stealth, death shroud, weapon invulnerability that the ranger does not have for “Oh kitten” moments.

Rangers do not, and cannot stack conditions or boons any where near as effectively as other classes. I have yet to see any ranger stack any cond or boon to the mid teens and continue to keep it steady at 8-9 stacks like a warrior, necro, mesmer, thief, guardian, engineer can do.

Rangers have to spend 25 trait points to get piercing ability. The necro get this ability by using a staff. This is class disparity between skills.

Many classes have a form of glass canon spec. If the stars align right..doesn’t matter who you are..your dead if it is timed perfectly..can some one tell me what the rangers is?..yup, they don’t have one. The best glass canon you can get out of them hits for 400-1200 dmg on crit. That makes you a glass pea shooter at best.

Pets display a disturbingly long animation before their F2 attack. Much like dragon tooth says 1 second cast..the animation after the fact takes 2 seconds. This is true for pets as well.

The rangers signets all have effects on the pet..at high trait allocation you can make those effects apply to the ranger. Again it seems the high traits allows you to support your pet, not the other way round. I rolled to play a ranger..not a snow leopard and drake hound.

The ranger despite firing the bow at high speed has no upfront dmg. If I place 30 point in power in ranger and thief and nothing else..the ranger will not match dmg with the thief(Whose shots also hit multiple targets) The firing speed is not the problem here. Rangers take 10 shots to do what other classes can do in 5. Who else should be master of the bow if not the ranger?

The ranger lacks any form of leap step, shadow step, teleport or distance maker.

The rangers attack animations in melee create split second long non cancellation frames. Try attacking a downed player with sword..watch the finish them tag appear and disappear..the same applies in situations with great sword. This means you dont have full control of your weapon and have to wait a half second to evade or roll at times or get the stomp in pressure situations.

The ranger lacks any up front multiple target dmg. Many classes can hold out against 2 opponents or with skilled play win against both. The ranger (especially with bow) has extreme trouble managing multiple targets. You can assign your pet to one person while you aggro the other, but as said earlier..you cannot depend on your pet to execute the 4 skills it has the way you want them to..you can only control one skill and who it will try to aim it at. This is not the same as engineers, guardians, hammer warriors etc ability to control an area.

I have played a ranger to lvl 30 in PvE..i continued to play them from rank 1 rabbit to rank 15 deer..then to rank 23 in tpvp..after that I deleted the slot and I was happier for it. Where other classes have been given’s..it seems the the ranger has not been given at all. It is shameful after looking at warriors with banners, shouts etc and mesmers with clones and phantasms, necro’s with minions and death shroud and wells, guardians with virtues and wards, ele’s with attunements and engineers with kits that the best they come up with for ranger is a water downed insipid version of how great they could be in gw1. If breaking the MMO mold was the goal here..where is the druid skills? where is the bow preparations?..where is the interrupts? you can’t even stack the same trap twice without negating the first one..the ranger is about as interesting and diverse as fighting Zhaitan at end game…which is shameful considering how awesome they have made every other class.

in Ranger

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

You have asked the author of the thread to point out the main beef with Ranger.

This thread is 4 months old. Many patches have came and kittening gone by now.

Thread necromancing is generally frowned upon for a reason.