I hate playing playing with Rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I love the profession. I have a max level Ranger of each race and love playing them. But, I hate seeing a Ranger in any group I find myself in. Why? Because I can count on whenever using a hard hitting ability that depends on a target being there for it, the target will surely be removed by a Ranger. If there are multiple Rangers I can depend on them to successively move targets around the battle field. I might as well just auto-attack.

What about Point Blank Shot is so difficult to understand? It’s great when soloing and situationally in group play, but, generally, it should never be used in group play. Why do Rangers use it in their rotation. It’s something that’s annoying every time I play. I’d almost be willing to give it up personally because it seems it’s impossible for people to use properly and regularly has a detrimental effect on others. I guess it might be a good troll ability.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Because this games PvE is dumbed down for the masses. Players spam skills on cooldown without any thought as to what is effective.
This isn’t just rangers, mesmers constantly pop illusionary wave, and rev’s use their staff knockback on cooldown.
If engi’s rifle didn’t have a self knockback and warrior hammer was better in PvE you would see those going off constantly as well.

The only way this will ever change is if anet ups the difficulty but that would drive away the casuals and lose them money, so that will never happen.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

This isn’t just rangers, mesmers constantly pop illusionary wave, and rev’s use their staff knockback on cooldown.

Reminds me of all the times another profession would use a knockback and someone would blame (the) Rangers.

…Let the good times roll…

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Raine.1394

Principally, it’s Rangers. Almost always, Rangers. Last week I did shudder upon seeing a warrior with a rifle, but it’s the prevalence of the Longbow that situates the problem with the profession. People will blame Rangers, because, well, it’s generally always a Ranger moving the target around the battlefield.

in Ranger

Puck.9612

Principally, it’s Rangers. Almost always, Rangers. Last week I did shudder upon seeing a warrior with a rifle, but it’s the prevalence of the Longbow that situates the problem with the profession. People will blame Rangers, because, well, it’s generally always a Ranger moving the target around the battlefield.

Well your only real option (since they won’t do anything about PvE being so braindead easy) is to petition for our other weapons to be improved so there are less longbows. Before they nerfed the kitten out of shortbow you’d see a lot of players running that instead. Maybe they could buff the GS so it doesn’t hit like a wet noodle, and fix the sword skills so there isn’t a delay on the evades.

Complaining for the sake of complaining won’t change anything, people have been kittening about PBS for years, and it is way too important of a skill (PvP) to be changed.

I’d also like to point out Necro’s spamming fear our way worse offenders than rangers when it comes to moving targets around.

(edited by Puck.9612)

in Ranger

Puck.9612

Reminds me of all the times another profession would use a knockback and someone would blame (the) Rangers.

…Let the good times roll…

I always call out the other professions lol. I say things like, “What’s with kittening mesmers always spamming their knockback on cooldown”

in Ranger

Raine.1394

Complaining for the sake of complaining won’t change anything, people have been kittening about PBS for years, and it is way too important of a skill (PvP) to be changed.

(Shhhh. I’m secretly complaining for the sake of learning. I realize it may have limited impact, but I’m driven to it.)

in Ranger

Puck.9612

(Shhhh. I’m secretly complaining for the sake of learning. I realize it may have limited impact, but I’m driven to it.)

Lol okay, well have fun

in Ranger

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

I hear what you say, but as others said before, not only Rangers are to blame.
Push back is useless in a group, all can agree.
Please, grow a pair and stop complaining about Rangers only, or maybe move this topic to a general area and complain about all classes that can push back, fear, etc.
Also, keep “playing playing”

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

All I’ve gotta say is that remember everyone is different.

I’m really not a fan of putting a label on groups of people in any tread of life. Although of course there can be stereotypes, there are still plenty of people that break those stereotypes. Same goes for Rangers.

I used to be one of those noobs back when I started playing. I even remember one time in a dungeon when I was trying to convince someone that I wasn’t stupid for camping longbow.

Although yes it is quite often the Rangers that are knocking your targets out of reach, it’s not always them either. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been blamed or frowned upon for being a pew pew Ranger and yet I’ve carried groups or won 1v2/3/4’s.

Just chill about it unless you know exactly who’s doing it. In which case, blame that person and not everyone using the same profession as that person.

I remember once I was roaming about in WvW and had this guy following me. Every time I got to a sentry or supply camp he would PBS mobs away from me so I finally stopped and said “dude, don’t just spam PBS all the time, please. My Hundred Blades is going to do a lot more damage than your knockback.”

And you know what? He stopped.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I love the profession. I have a max level Ranger of each race and love playing them. But, I hate seeing a Ranger in any group I find myself in. Why? Because I can count on whenever using a hard hitting ability that depends on a target being there for it, the target will surely be removed by a Ranger. If there are multiple Rangers I can depend on them to successively move targets around the battle field. I might as well just auto-attack.

What about Point Blank Shot is so difficult to understand? It’s great when soloing and situationally in group play, but, generally, it should never be used in group play. Why do Rangers use it in their rotation. It’s something that’s annoying every time I play. I’d almost be willing to give it up personally because it seems it’s impossible for people to use properly and regularly has a detrimental effect on others. I guess it might be a good troll ability.

With ancient seed trait from druid traitline, point blank shot procs entangling roots on the target, which in turn guarantees a rapid fire plus whatever your group is tossing.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

What’s more annoying is doing an event and classes not attempting to break the bosses break bar.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

(edited by Serraphin Storm.2369)

in Ranger

Puck.9612

What’s more annoying is doing an event and classes not attempting to break the bosses break bar.

…..and then once it finally is broken you see them using their cc’s
Smh

in Ranger

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Have you tried explaining to them why using that in a group situation is a bad idea? If you explain it (nicely), I think some of them will listen. If they don’t and keep doing it, then feel free to kick them from the group.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

I don’t know, watching point blank or concussive shot do absolutely nothing to a break bar because the target is immune is pretty darn annoying. The only time I use pbs as an offensive skill is against break bars or against a target that won’t go flying. I keep it ready to go as a defensive skill due to my particular build/play-style. I think a lot of people use it just because it isn’t on cool down and they either don’t know better or don’t care.

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

in Ranger

Posted by: ShortnCurly.9018

ShortnCurly.9018

A pet hate of mine also, as a semi experienced ranger I always stop myself from “educating” some fool that blasts away my target when I switch to a melee weapon for a kill, POINT BLANK SHOT is solo use only!

Get it?
Got it?
Good!

Proud member of uPOI, Undiscovered Point of Interest an OCX guild on NA.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

I don’t know, watching point blank or concussive shot do absolutely nothing to a break bar because the target is immune is pretty darn annoying. The only time I use pbs as an offensive skill is against break bars or against a target that won’t go flying. I keep it ready to go as a defensive skill due to my particular build/play-style. I think a lot of people use it just because it isn’t on cool down and they either don’t know better or don’t care.

Pb is a minor annoyance. Op suggest that pb is a problem because he misses with his big attacks. Rangers have many cc that affect break bars. My point was that too many other classes do nothing for break bar which has a bigger negative impact on game play. I guess people don’t know or don’t care about breaking break bars.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Outside of pvp, pbs is wonderful for moving about mobs to get all of them into cleave/aoe range of each other – that’s what decent rangers use it for. Then of course there are plenty of others out there that use is as soon as it’s off of cooldown, either because they don’t know better, or because they actually like to troll other players.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

PBS is great for breakbars. It’s awesome at saving teammates from a stomp. It’s a great utility skill and it has a time and a place.

That time and place probably isn’t for knocking the non-BB mobs out of the melee range of everyone’s hard hitting attack though. But that’s life with randys.

It’s not a ranger problem. Other classes with knockbacks do the same crap. It’s a people problem. People are stupid.

If you’re in a group with them, call them out on it.

50/50 chance you meet a person and they learn something or you get an opportunity to remind them that they are stupid.

in Ranger

Posted by: Starbreaker.6507

Starbreaker.6507

I prefer to break the mold of trolling and pull mobs away from people with Path of Scars.

They never see it coming

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

You shouldn’t associate yourself with bad players.

If you realized people do that – it was in your interest to keep your distance from people like that.
If you hadn’t – the joke’s probably on you, already.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

It’s a learn to play issue. Most just spam 1-4 and 5 when they feel like it, because they understand that 1-4 are instant cast and 5 is an aoe. While in fact, the autoattack, with the exception of rapid fire, is the best dps. I see players all the time including 3 in their rotation just because.

Experienced players will know to use 4 for interruption and deliberate kb and 3 to escape.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

in Ranger

Posted by: Starbreaker.6507

Starbreaker.6507

snip

I was replying to OP.

Sorry…my bad. It’s sometimes tough to tell when it comes to the forums.

I’ll redact what I said.

No H8

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

It’s a learn to play issue. Most just spam 1-4 and 5 when they feel like it, because they understand that 1-4 are instant cast and 5 is an aoe. While in fact, the autoattack, with the exception of rapid fire, is the best dps. I see players all the time including 3 in their rotation just because.

Experienced players will know to use 4 for interruption and deliberate kb and 3 to escape.

Just for math clarification,
Using #4 is a DPS increase at any range. Not only it is a 0,5 vs 0,75 (without aftercasts) cast time, it also deals the same damage as Auto-Attack at 500-1000 range.
With the most important fact: It is a guaranteed projectile Finisher.

The difference is neglectable but using PBS is a DPS increase. The truly experienced players will use #4 for DPS into rotation to targets that cannot pushed or knocked back (aka bosses or targets with Break Bars).
Especially since you’ll mostly be in less than 500 range if you are at a PvE content where DPS matters.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Sorry…my bad. It’s sometimes tough to tell when it comes to the forums.

I’ll redact what I said.

No H8

No harm done, Sir.
Nothing happened. I could have clarified that earlier. (Using PoS actually is fun. No one expects Ranger to be helpful and this way they actually burn themselves – I liked it myself)

in Ranger

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

At the same time, people who vocally complain about PBS use can often be complaining when it’s use was the tactically sound choice. I’ve gotten some hate for using it when using it was most definitely the right choice, just because the person complaining didn’t have the same situational information that I had.
Sadly I’ve found that the people who decide to “educate” me aren’t always open to learning something themselves hehe.

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

At the same time, people who vocally complain about PBS use can often be complaining when it’s use was the tactically sound choice. I’ve gotten some hate for using it when using it was most definitely the right choice, just because the person complaining didn’t have the same situational information that I had.
Sadly I’ve found that the people who decide to “educate” me aren’t always open to learning something themselves hehe.

This is true.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I think part of the problem with Ranger Knockback is how long-range and untelegraphed it is.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

The flip-side is, that’s exactly what makes it great for cliffs in WvW…
(to a point; if your opponent is smart, they’ll be expecting it if they see LB Ranger anyway)

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

The flip-side is, that’s exactly what makes it great for cliffs in WvW…
(to a point; if your opponent is smart, they’ll be expecting it if they see LB Ranger anyway)

It could be cool if Brutal charge from our pigs would have the same effect as Point Blank Shot… (Glyph of the Tides)→PBS (root from AS)→Brutal Charge = a possible 1200+ knockback

in Ranger

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

every ranger in here is like other classes do it too so you can’t blame rangers for doing it lol. How many melee classes do you think knock back enemys they are trying to cleave. That argument is nonsense.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

every ranger in here is like other classes do it too so you can’t blame rangers for doing it lol. How many melee classes do you think knock back enemys they are trying to cleave. That argument is nonsense.

I’m a ranger main. Is it my fault that [some] other rangers out there plays like they have their head up their kitten Are you trying to put the blame on the class or what?

in Ranger

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

OGDeadHead.8326, I think you wanted to quote another post.

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

If you are worried about this, you need to up your game. Sorry, but Ranger has the lowest personal DPS in the game and can cut through PvE mobs like a hot knife through butter. If you are having trouble killing PvE trash because of LB knockbacks your build is too defensive. Try maxing your damage gear and accessories (max sinister, or berserker) and you wont have these issues anymore. Also, save your gap closers for the appropriate time.

It’s not the Ranger’s fault you are using a weak build/playstyle.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

Posted by: Changer the Elder.2948

Changer the Elder.2948

Ah, all the lovely times I got yelled at for knockbacking solely for being the only ranger in the group.

I still have yet to see how exactly did I do it while holding an axe and a warhorn, but I assume it’s just us rangers being magical that way.

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Ah, all the lovely times I got yelled at for knockbacking solely for being the only ranger in the group.

I still have yet to see how exactly did I do it while holding an axe and a warhorn, but I assume it’s just us rangers being magical that way.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Archon.6480

No, no, no. I am a Ranger and I am in here. I am saying if knockback bothers you, you are most likely a noob using an inferior build and play-style. Just to be clear…

Jade Quarry – Esparie

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

No, no, no. I am a Ranger and I am in here. I am saying if knockback bothers you, you are most likely a noob using an inferior build and play-style. Just to be clear…

Cleave is one of the most efficient ways to handle any situation, be it PvP or PvE. Knockback at a wrong situation can potentially end up in unnecessary 4 gap closer CDs of your team.

There are times where knockbacks are a harm to you and your party. This cannot be denied. If you cannot understand this simple fact – I wouldn’t dare pointing fingers at other people.

in Ranger

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Love this thread.
I main Necromancer and tend to sigh a lot when playing with others having knock-backs.

When playing with others as a Ranger, I try to remember to use PBS on blue break bars, not brown, and never on mobs if people are melee. There are lots of ways to avoid damage and most professions can soak it (Necro) or negate it.

It is easy to faceroll the keyboard so accidents happen.

One thing I like about Necromancer is its fears are short so they interrupt but do not change the mob’s position. Also, there is the new Grasping Darkness that pulls.

Taunt is under rated and, I feel, under used.

in Ranger

Archon.6480

Cleave is one of the most efficient ways to handle any situation, be it PvP or PvE. Knockback at a wrong situation can potentially end up in unnecessary 4 gap closer CDs of your team.

There are times where knockbacks are a harm to you and your party. This cannot be denied. If you cannot understand this simple fact – I wouldn’t dare pointing fingers at other people.

Sure, knockbacks can potentially cause problems, but I rarely see this happening in practice. In fractals and raids big foes have break bars and can’t be knocked back so there is no issue here. Little foes die so fast to sword auto attack/off hand axe who cares, right?

Noobs care because their “hard hitting” attacks miss. Their group dps is so low they really need those “hard hitting” attacks to hit. I mean seriously, for every misplaced Mesmer knockback I have path of scars, or arrows to mop up misplaced foe in fractions of a second.

These trolls complaining about the skill has nothing to do with PvE.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

(edited by Archon.6480)

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

I for sure use my knockbacks, pulls, imob and even taunts to bring mobs into a nice little bunch of sitting ducks in the SW (my favourite laid back “pass time” farming place), opening up for easy cleave and aoe for my fellow players.

We have excellent tools for this, I hope most rangers use the tools to their best of their ability. Anyone can make mistakes, but some are, sorry to say, just plain ignorant and/or stupid, while others find it a sport to troll others even in pve. It’s rarely that big of a deal that many make it out to be. It’s annoying, that’s all (99% of the times).

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Sure, knockbacks can potentially cause problems, but I rarely see this happening in practice. In fractals and raids big foes have break bars and can’t be knocked back so there is no issue here. Little foes die so fast to sword auto attack/off hand axe who cares, right?

Noobs care because their “hard hitting” attacks miss. Their group dps is so low they really need those “hard hitting” attacks to hit. I mean seriously, for every misplaced Mesmer knockback I have path of scars, or arrows to mop up misplaced foe in fractions of a second.

These trolls complaining about the skill has nothing to do with PvE.

I believe we are both on the right track talking about the same thing.

The issue is always the player, not the class.
Ranger is unfortunately the class player pick up on when then don’t want to learn since a lot does AI by itself. You can’t deny this. A lot of baddies play this class. More than other classes from my experience.

… Okay, I remember having awful expectations of guardians as well, but that’s about it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

If you are worried about this, you need to up your game. Sorry, but Ranger has the lowest personal DPS in the game and can cut through PvE mobs like a hot knife through butter. If you are having trouble killing PvE trash because of LB knockbacks your build is too defensive. Try maxing your damage gear and accessories (max sinister, or berserker) and you wont have these issues anymore. Also, save your gap closers for the appropriate time.

It’s not the Ranger’s fault you are using a weak build/playstyle.

It may not have to do with his build, but his understanding of combos/traits.

Like a lot of people, they are looking at it as simple as possible…one way.

@ Raine.1394: You have to think about what happens after Point Blank Shot to make it beneficial. It does have a great benefit despite solo or group play

For most of us that know what we are doing, its called “Ancient Seeds”

Knockback followed by Rapid Fire and you have someone or something rooted for a while. Now, I may be a simple country chicken, but attacking something that can’t move seems pretty useful to me.

I couldn’t tell you how many times we chased someone in PvP or WvW and I ended up rooting and that was it for them.

Even Point blanked shotted someone out of a ring to stall a cap (root ftw)

In dungeons (Such as aether path TA), knocking the ghosts either into the generators or into the last boss to have it explode into him (another good spot PBS is useful)

Some people don’t realize some of these items (as well as others I havent mentioned). Good Rangers/druids know how to use it properly.

To end my rant that I have had many times, think before you speak (to all those who complain about PBS and how it should not be used.)

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhbyn Yew.5236

Rhbyn Yew.5236

Thanks for the inspiration @Raine.1394