I love Greatswords & pets. Is GS Viable?

in Ranger

Posted by: Azione.5913

Azione.5913

Q:

Simple question, but I’m a noob to MMOs, so here I am

I love the Ranger playstyle, and I really like the Greatsword, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to handle other GS players with heavy armor (ie Guardians and Warriors). Is it viable to play Ranger with a Greatsword? If so, what’s a good trait setup/build? Thanks in advance!

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

I keep coming back to great sword, its ability to function well in any circumstance is hard to match. It is a power weapon, so spec according to that, otherwise its wide open to many options.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: zitounae.4803

zitounae.4803

In power build; GS helps in mobility, have some contro, evadel and decent dmg. I kinda like it personnaly, and its a cool weapon lol.
It all depend on what you play (wvw, roaming? pvp?) and, your build / other weapon.

I ran into a VERY strong staff Elem earlier on live and was excited to see it -time4nerf-

in Ranger

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I personally like GS better than 1h sword. It hits hard, has defense, and mobility. You can use signets to buff that Maul strike for a heavy spike. I think it pairs well with pets, since you can evade, block, swoop, and stun while letting your pet chomp on an enemy.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yes it is very viable. It’s not part of the meta build at the moment, but if you don’t really care about speedclears on dungeons/fractals, you should be just fine.

It is a good weapon with nice mobility and goes nice for power builds.

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Most rangers use GS as second weapon for mobility and defence(sometimes for maul combo) Fox however use it as main wapon and he’s amazing with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK2hQFrU0hc&list=UUYclQDh7uLwSrS6ICtcPMWQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Viable in what context? I feel it works plenty fine in Pve. Maybe not as much dps as the 1h sword, but better for farming and plenty good as long as you stay away from the hardcore speed clearers who probably wouldn’t take a ranger anyway.

For WvW, I find it invaluable in a zerg setting. I use the LB as my main dps machine and the GS for utility and when a thief gets bold and tries to gank me.

Just make sure to take martial mastery if you can. Maul is so much of the weapon’s dps that it makes a good deal of difference not to mention more swooping.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…