I'm Afraid of over-buffs...

in Ranger

Posted by: ragnarokda.1805

ragnarokda.1805

Everyone in this sub forum understands the hardships of playing a ranger in any content type except solo pve and as a result we’ve been screaming for changes that are necessary and long overdue! The problem is… I don’t wanna be over-tuned!

I think I’ve play ranger for so long BECAUSE we were the underdogs and it felt sooooooooooo good to prove people wrong with your skill at out playing them or just surprising people with the fact that having a ranger instead of an engi or one ele in your meta group that knows what he’s doing isn’t going to impact your clear time as much as you think it would if at all.

That aside, I know changes are coming. This is truth. Whether they’re good or bad will remain to be seen. But here’s hope that we don’t get the ele treatment and become FotM because I already see too many kitten people playing ranger just cause people like bows and a dog following them around. (I know it’s selfish I don’t care what you think get off my lawn!! ^.^)

Cheers folks.

TLDR:
INB4 OPDRUIDTAUNTMESS

in Ranger

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

haha, I actually like playing stuff that is deemed bad and figure out ways to make it work as well. :P

Always played the so-called weakest race in SC2, WC3 and in several other games as well.

More to your point: First of all, there need to be positive changes AND they need to be too positive – that’s quite a stretch. Then, you’ll very likely still have some builds that are clearly not OP!

If all else fails, you can always say to yourself, that you’ve played the weakest class for so long, you have earned a few months of being OP.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I could suffer along with some over-buffing on my Ranger for the 9-12 months it always seems to take for corrections to be applied.

Just this once. For a little bit. If I had to.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nicknobreak.7543

Nicknobreak.7543

Nope. After the torment I’ve had to suffer at the hands of everyone rerolling PU Mesmer and downing me in a half second flat? I hope Druid is even more overpowered than that. I wouldn’t even feel bad or sorry for playing a build that broken on Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

I had a similar thought. If changes are very strong, suddenly people must now contend with ranger being good, and that might cause quite a stir. But, I would rather be over buffed → nerfed at this point, cuz its better than the current tourtise-like pacing of slight buffing offset by nerfing, that rangers are currently dealing with. Honestly I could care less about FotM bandwagoners, im more concerned how strong changes will cause a storm of sudden QQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Nier.8741

Nier.8741

Sorry bro, Ranger never did take any skill even today.

Nothing hard about instant cast taunt or baiting cool downs and dodges with your pet.

Ranger is THE beginner class until they change how braindead evading while spamming attacks and getting carried by AI works.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

Nothing hard about instant cast taunt or baiting cool downs and dodges with your pet.

Ranger is THE beginner class until they change how braindead evading while spamming attacks and getting carried by AI works.

ehhhhh….warrior and guardian are just as easy to play as Ranger. Warrior is just as populated as ranger, and guardian is slightly less populated

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

Or just play an elementalist. You don’t need to know the order of the skill activations. Just bang with your head on the keyboard and stand near the enemy. With a 50% chance you will hit an aura that kills the enemy for you. In average it is just two head bangs away

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Rangers are so easy the top spvp teams run 5 rangers. In wvw commanders insist on having no less than 20 Rangers.

Yes ranger are capable of spamming evade; stay alive isn’t killing and its isn’t winning. Its just prolonging your defeat.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: rummy.4102

rummy.4102

Everything is ‘Easy’ to play. Playing efficiently & effectively isn’t easy as a ranger, and positioning with taunt is extremely difficult sometimes because pet ai is most often terrible.

Guildlord of [Top] (Gate of Madness)

If you don’t get it right the first time, keep on sucking until you do!

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

First thing they need to do is to balance and fix the ranger. Unless the druid traitline is broken OP is not going to work.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

ragnarokda.1805

Baiting dodges and evades isn’t skillful? That’s weird. Also I’ve never used taunt and I very rarely lose 1v1 and that’s where taunt is most effective. Also I’d have to say about 90% of the other rangers I run into are really bad… Which means that it isn’t as easy to play as most would assume. As in any class it takes time to master to intricacies and nuances of the playstyle you prefer. This is true for any class except maybe engi and thief right now because IMO they take the most knowledge and skill to play correctly and effectively.

Ranger being the “easy” class and also the class that most new players choose aren’t the same thing, either.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

@ ragnarokda
Ranger is the easiest class to play…
… but the most difficult to master.

That could sum it up.

To reply to the OP:
I always had 2 horrible habits. I have never been able to play characters that were overpowered. If I felt like mechanics are carrying me – it just stopped being enjoyable.
The other – I always picked classes/characters/champions that I liked aesthetically. The worst part is that they usually were the weakest.

On the other hand, I have been a huge fan of Archery as well as Beast Masters so much that I do archery IRL as well as I am training birds of prey.
If Ranger gets overbuffed, I’d probably still keep playing it because of the archetype it offers. There’s no other class that connects with nature as much as Ranger does.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Sure you can sit back and auto attack with longbow all day while pet attacks, but it takes skill to master melee in dungeons and etc, and then there is pvp, I think longbow is a bit more interesting in pvp.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

@ ragnarokda
Ranger is the easiest class to play…
… but the most difficult to master.

That could sum it up.

To reply to the OP:
I always had 2 horrible habits. I have never been able to play characters that were overpowered. If I felt like mechanics are carrying me – it just stopped being enjoyable.
The other – I always picked classes/characters/champions that I liked aesthetically. The worst part is that they usually were the weakest.

On the other hand, I have been a huge fan of Archery as well as Beast Masters so much that I do archery IRL as well as I am training birds of prey.
If Ranger gets overbuffed, I’d probably still keep playing it because of the archetype it offers. There’s no other class that connects with nature as much as Ranger does.

This x100, except trade birds of prey with “dogs” and tack on “naturalist” to the list of things I lol for.

I also don’t WANT ranger to become OP or it’ll bug me, but because of both the theme being my ideal theme, and the time investment in the character I’ll never switch classes, but I would be very salty about not only being on the OP class but also EVERYONE playing it.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

ragnarokda.1805

@Durzlla yeah that’s the same with me as well. In most games I’ve played if my class becomes OP I start playing the next most UP class. But I really like ranger still and Druid may revitalize that feeling even further. I’ve been pretty hyped about reaper and Druid because nec and ranger are my most played classes. I’m hoping Druid is enough to keep me on ranger over my tendencies to want to play heavy hitting melee classes. Haha

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

@Durzlla yeah that’s the same with me as well. In most games I’ve played if my class becomes OP I start playing the next most UP class. But I really like ranger still and Druid may revitalize that feeling even further. I’ve been pretty hyped about reaper and Druid because nec and ranger are my most played classes. I’m hoping Druid is enough to keep me on ranger over my tendencies to want to play heavy hitting melee classes. Haha

Yeah I’m pretty psyched for the scrapper myself, will give me some incentive to level my engi again (deleted the original one for reasons I still can’t recall). But even then the playtime difference between my ranger and even my second most played character is gigantic.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I don’t want any profession to be OP.

Unfortunately our problem is if we get to be like 85-90% as good as the other professions the general community throws a temper tantrum. I just want to be 100% along with every one else. It actually bums me out to think about how kittenty rangers get treated by the devs.

Another note, even if classes aren’t OP, some will always take more effort. Ranger will probably always take more effort than most because we have more to ‘take care of’ at any given moment.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

If the way they responded to the trait Most Dangerous Game is any indication the only over buffing we will see will come from gross programming errors due to how rushed it was coded.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

If the way they responded to the trait Most Dangerous Game is any indication the only over buffing we will see will come from gross programming errors due to how rushed it was coded.

Can i see that? Link to the answer please?

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

If was during the preview video when Most Dangerous Game was slotted as an adept trait.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

If was during the preview video when Most Dangerous Game was slotted as an adept trait.

lol it’d still not worth it.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

ragnarokda.1805

And I’m sure the issue would be rectified post haste.

in Ranger

Posted by: BlusterWolf.2103

BlusterWolf.2103

If you want to be underdog, you can always intentionally make your build worse. On the other hand, I will be happy to see Druid be as good as ele and guardian in group fight and still can hold on their own in 1v1.

Forty Milliseconds…rangers who remember…know…

in Ranger

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

I really hope they improve our pet synergy rather than get rid of it :/ I’m really scared of what i’ll see at twitchcon, the only reason I play ranger is because of the dual thematic.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I just hope all the failed Read-The-Wind rangers stick with PU Shatter.

in Ranger

ragnarokda.1805

If you want to be underdog, you can always intentionally make your build worse. On the other hand, I will be happy to see Druid be as good as ele and guardian in group fight and still can hold on their own in 1v1.

Winning as an underdog is only winning if others know they has the “advantage” but still lost or was proven wrong! Lol

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

You shouldn’t be afraid of them, you’ll hardly have the time to notice them before they get hotfixed.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Don’t be afraid OP, they will only introduce another optional traitline for something named elite specialization (druid).

They won’t change the whole pet system, they won’t buff your weapon damage nor will they improve your resilience to damage. They will just introduce some new optional stuff on the ranger that will be restricted to the druid traitline.

So as long as you keep playing the core ranger, nothing will change for you (Though, druid shouldn’t give to much on it’s own. It’s not like the dev will remove the pet mechanism when you select the druid spec and trade it with a flat 30% more damage.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: SemiProBBQ.8946

SemiProBBQ.8946

I just really hope they’ve put time and effort into regular ranger pets i dont want to HAVE to take druid just to get my pet to work if it isnt optimal in certain scenarios

Delecroix – Ranger master race

in Ranger

Posted by: Lethal Njection.8741

Lethal Njection.8741

Do you guys remember that solid month of ranger QQ when aour LB got buffed? Yet we are still the only class that doesn’t have any place in the meta. I guess they all simmered down when they realized that we still suck.

I save Ascalon against another Charr invasion, and my father trifles with doors!

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Afraid of being over buffed? The op realizes this is the ranger section of the forum right?

I’m more afraid that druid will suck so bad that they nerf the rest of our skills and traits to make druid more appealing. Give it the good old shortbow treatment.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

ragnarokda.1805

Haha I’m aware Druid is going to be optional. However, I read somewhere they were going to be doing a balance patch on release. That’s what I was afraid of. Lol.

And it’s possible for us to get over tuned… I mean, they gave us taunt and everyone cries about it like it’s our 1-button-instant-kill. Stuns a stun, brah. You got beat cause I’m better not ’cause of a 2s stun.

in Ranger

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Why would you be afraid of overbuffs?

By being overbuffed, at least you can be good for 6 months vs. trash for 3 years. If you’re lucky Druid could be a good class for 3 years

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

Druid gets overpowered…

People who like being underpowered will change professions…

Nobody likes the Dragonhunter…

Dragonhunter gets longbow…

Destiny!!!

in Ranger

ragnarokda.1805

Why would you be afraid of overbuffs?

By being overbuffed, at least you can be good for 6 months vs. trash for 3 years. If you’re lucky Druid could be a good class for 3 years

Well on top of the stigma that Ranger is the “beginner” and “easiest” class to play we’ll also have to contend with the accusation that on TOP of that were being handed our victories because we’re “OP” if we were to get buffed too much.

I mean, people already think the only way they lose to a ranger is because of taunt… lol.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

It’s funny, if we were made op all the terribab rangers would still come to forum and say staff needs 2k range, higher dmg aa, to not suck in melee, MOAR condi cleanse, MOAR evades, MOAR cc, Reveal, knock back, aoe, single target dps, teleport, stun break, invunlnerable, 5 target rapidfire, minions that move and then staff would be at the same lvl as other classes’ weapons.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lethal Njection.8741

Lethal Njection.8741

Plot twist- Staff allows you to tame enemy elementalists as secondary pet.

I save Ascalon against another Charr invasion, and my father trifles with doors!

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

It’s funny, if we were made op all the terribab rangers would still come to forum and say staff needs 2k range, higher dmg aa, to not suck in melee, MOAR condi cleanse, MOAR evades, MOAR cc, Reveal, knock back, aoe, single target dps, teleport, stun break, invunlnerable, 5 target rapidfire, minions that move and then staff would be at the same lvl as other classes’ weapons.

What is your point here? That we do not need any of these things and that Ranger is fine?

I just watched your youtube video of you being pwned by a venom thief in which you complain that you don’t need skill to win, just the right skills.

Aren’t “the terribab rangers” just asking for the same capability as other classes already have then?

in Ranger

Posted by: punahou.3986

punahou.3986

1) troll

2) wth ever posts about being over buffed? Insane to say the least.

Ele have been OP forever
Mesmers- same
Certain Warrior builds are OP
Well played thieves can be OP.

If you are serious about not wanting the ranger to be buffed to the point where the population thinks they are OP there had better be ZERO posts in the past, present and future from you complaining about the underpowered state of the ranger

I’m in shock someone would post to keep an mediocre class…… mediocre.

in Ranger

ragnarokda.1805

@Punahou

You may search me good sir. I am honestly the kind of person whose failures are assumed to be born of my own ignorance or faults.

in Ranger

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Everyone in this sub forum understands the hardships of playing a ranger in any content type except solo pve and as a result we’ve been screaming for changes that are necessary and long overdue! The problem is… I don’t wanna be over-tuned!

I think I’ve play ranger for so long BECAUSE we were the underdogs and it felt sooooooooooo good to prove people wrong with your skill at out playing them or just surprising people with the fact that having a ranger instead of an engi or one ele in your meta group that knows what he’s doing isn’t going to impact your clear time as much as you think it would if at all.

That aside, I know changes are coming. This is truth. Whether they’re good or bad will remain to be seen. But here’s hope that we don’t get the ele treatment and become FotM because I already see too many kitten people playing ranger just cause people like bows and a dog following them around. (I know it’s selfish I don’t care what you think get off my lawn!! ^.^)

Cheers folks.

TLDR:
INB4 OPDRUIDTAUNTMESS

I hate this logic. I played World of Warcraft as a Paladin for years before they became good and competitive,

and this was the main excuse used to justify why the class shouldnt have been buffed.

its crazy talk.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

I hate this logic. I played World of Warcraft as a Paladin for years before they became good and competitive,

and this was the main excuse used to justify why the class shouldnt have been buffed.

its crazy talk.

WoW is a bad idea. WoW has been ruled with Ghostcrawler’s ideology of perfect imbalance instead of fair triangular balance.

That being said – every patch a new class has been OP or a different build and if you didn’t adapt you simply sucked (except Frost Mages as Ghost Crawler’s favorite class). That’s how WoW worked (can’t tell if still works, have been out ever since GW2).
Whilst in GW2, balance is usually held around a place where players have close to same possibilities in terms of options or mechanics (e.g. Thieves have high DPS but no team support for PvE – so it’s fair to be the squishy assassin).

The differences are currently not that huge but are still there. ANet is hopefully going to keep their design of the game where everyone can play whatever he feels like playing and still be efficient while doing that. I’m not referring to PvE atm since that is close to being balanced (or too simple to need any real balance) but to every game environment as such.

Note: yes, the reply you were referring to, Knight, is crazy talk.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

ragnarokda.1805

Well I’m not talking about fixes and buffs… I’m talking about overdoing it. Creating a situation where ranger is like ele is right now and everyone whines about us and how were being carried by our mechanics. Even though when pally became OP you could still tell who the good players were and who was average or crappy. Here, no one thinks ranger takes skill JUST because of taunt. So if we have taunt AND were OP? Yeah good luck seeming respectable unless you stream.