I think we flooded the CDI...

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

And overwhelmed that person/people stuck read/review/relaying the information to the designers.

So I propose we give them a bit of time to get caught up and see what is still able to be talked about.

So this thread is basically an overflow where we can vent a bit, bounce thought around etc.

At least they didn’t mention shaving again as this is all I can think of with what as happened this past year.

Attachments:

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

we killed it. I had the feeling this might happen.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

The thread was dead to me at about the point where I was clicking on the names of 90% of those posters in that thread, and realizing that most of them have never made a Ranger related post before.

I’m not saying thats bad, I’m just asking, “why did 50 + of you suddenly and finally pick this week to voice your concerns for the Ranger profession and finally post ideas?”

in Ranger

Bran.7425

That is why I suggested a small break. I think both the developers and the rangers have yet to come to an understanding.

After the whole Aquaman patch, it really soured the well and it doesn’t take much to bring out the worst in the community right now.

in Ranger

Bran.7425

The thread was dead to me at about the point where I was clicking on the names of 90% of those posters in that thread, and realizing that most of them have never made a Ranger related post before.

I’m not saying thats bad, I’m just asking, “why did 50 + of you suddenly and finally pick this week to voice your concerns for the Ranger profession and finally post ideas?”

Were this people that post a lot elsewhere or brand new? If new then maybe lurkers, if not maybe people hoping to catch the next flavor of the quarter (year, with the major changes being spaced out so much).

in Ranger

Chrispy.5641

Were this people that post a lot elsewhere or brand new? If new then maybe lurkers, if not maybe people hoping to catch the next flavor of the quarter (year, with the major changes being spaced out so much).

Some of them were brand new, others have posted on every other profession, except for ranger. Some of them last posted over a year ago. Some had exactly one post before, etc.

Like I said, its not a bad thing, I’m just wondering why they stayed in the shadows until now? The shadows don’t really help us, that’s more of the Thief’s thing…

in Ranger

Bran.7425

Shadow’s could have helped us once, but the ranger is already archetypally similar to the thief, so stealth (or its weaker ranger version (we get a lot of those) camouflage was mostly removed from the game).

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Yeah I noticed that too…. It’s quite sad tbh.

Some of them posted ~5-8 suggestions that were basically like (but as long texts and poor arguments) “Remove pet because it sucks”, “Make shouts instant because they suck”, “Change this trait to give more because it suck” and so on. Suggestions without any thinking behind it.

in Ranger

Bran.7425

I kind of wonder what it would have looked like if the Elementalist had won the vote?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

Sad part is there Topic on Ranger balance is to late, not sure anyone wants to wait many month’s for the ranger to updated with 3 major AAA games coming out over next month or 2.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

I kind of wonder what it would have looked like if the Elementalist had won the vote?

It would have been the same result. Wannabe game developers being asked by Anet for their ideas? Talk about waving a red cape in front of a bull.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

The players are not at fault here. There was no developer interaction or discussion here. Only one developer ever posted and her posts were few and far in between. We had no positive discussion steering towards the things the developers want discussed. No wonder it was a random suggestion posting bonanza.

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

The players are not at fault here. There was no developer interaction or discussion here. Only one developer ever posted and her posts were few and far in between. We had no positive discussion steering towards the things the developers want discussed. No wonder it was a random suggestion posting bonanza.

Doomed for failure from the start. Was pretty easy to predict what was going to happen. Which reinforces that Anet doesn’t have a clue at times…..or, it was a complete set up and they knew exactly what they were doing.

It’s one or the other.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aria.5940

Aria.5940

I think the reason many ppl who don’t post much otherwise posted in the CDI might also be due to it being the hope for this class.

I generally don’t post much and ranger was my main class from the start (for a long time been playing a non-stealth thief or mesmer though). I love ranger in gw1 and really wish for the CDI to improve ranger, but posting suggestions on the forums previously has seemed in vain.

So my best guess is that ppl who have long lurked the forums see the CDI as a chance to actually make suggestions that will get read by devs. Also, for myself and probably others too, the CDI is the make-or-break point. Either ranger will improve as a result of the CDI and suggestions will be heard, or another game may prove a better option (my point of view, not necessarily shared by many others).

in Ranger

Posted by: Criminal.5627

Criminal.5627

I would still like to see anet buff pets to the point that was near the damage output in GW1 with 16 beatmastery when you put 30 points in the current rendition of the beastmastery trait line… Also if we could get a list of ideas they had taken from the thread so we knew were to focus the rest of the week it would be grand.

The people screaming to remove pets still need a slap in the back of the head cause they are kittening off people who are trying to post ideas on how to fix the pet mechanics or possible ways to fix pet mechanics.

Giant spiders of the world are just misunderstood creatures, they love to snuggle too.

(edited by Criminal.5627)

in Ranger

Posted by: Jaysin X.6740

Jaysin X.6740

Sad part is there Topic on Ranger balance is to late, not sure anyone wants to wait many month’s for the ranger to updated with 3 major AAA games coming out over next month or 2.

This is true for me. Not that I don’t enjoy GW2, just kinda lost interest since I see no clear direction with my fav class.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I was really looking forward to it personally. I lost all motivation to care once she said it was intended for the class to never have burst or AE. You can’t make a power based class in PvP with neither.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Yeah. The CDI sparked some hope for me when it was announced. But whatever, I hope they can at least change the description on the profession selection menu so new players won’t be steered to some misconception of the class.

Attachments:

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

I would still like to see anet buff pets to the point that was near the damage output in GW1 with 16 beatmastery when you put 30 points in the current rendition of the beastmastery trait line… Also if we could get a list of ideas they had taken from the thread so we knew were to focus the rest of the week it would be grand.

The people screaming to remove pets still need a slap in the back of the head cause they are kittening off people who are trying to post ideas on how to fix the pet mechanics or possible ways to fix pet mechanics.

It’s not that Rangers don’t want the pets. The problem is they don’t work…and Anet says they can’t fix it. Since that is the case. What is the solution slap boy?

in Ranger

Bran.7425

I still think that power base sustain is possible. As of yet they have not said that sustained damage is only limited to conditions.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wolf Legacy.3791

Wolf Legacy.3791

Relax, Anet is definately not going to remove the pets, please take a look at her third post: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/Collaborative-Development-Ranger-Profession/first#post3682760

“Removing the pet was something that was discussed in initial design of the class, but it is such an integral part of the Ranger’s design and philosophy.

There might be some ways that we can redesign the pet and it’s AI, but those are big projects. For the time being, we are happy to take any suggestions regarding the pet."

And for the most part, 90% of the posts I see are talking about ways to IMPROVE the pet, not REMOVE it

Edit: a later post

“We recognize there are a number of issues with the pet AI and general functionality, so that is something that will come first. Rangers are first and foremost a pet class, but they are also great skirmishers and some of the best sustained long range damage.”

(edited by Wolf Legacy.3791)

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

This is true for me. Not that I don’t enjoy GW2, just kinda lost interest since I see no clear direction with my fav class.

Same for me. I still like GW2, but I felt like we reached the end of the iterations on possible builds for Rangers. That and I don’t have much time to play on a PC anymore. I moved on to playing games on my tablet until I see something that would pique my interest like it did before.

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Yeah. The CDI sparked some hope for me when it was announced. But whatever, I hope they can at least change the description on the profession selection menu so new players won’t be steered to some misconception of the class.

awesome pic!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

You mean all the posts asking for better AI that will never happen or the buttload of posts that haven’t received any feedback so we have no idea what to elaborate on?

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I assume most of them were former Ranger players that learned their lesson early and rerolled, but had a shred of hope left. I’m also assuming that their hope is fully gone by now after reading the feedback.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

I assume most of them were former Ranger players that learned their lesson early and rerolled, but had a shred of hope left. I’m also assuming that their hope is fully gone by now after reading the feedback.

Wouldn’t really blame them…

in Ranger

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

1. Post CDI
2. Act like you are listening
3. Continue working on bug fixes that were already planned.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in Ranger

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Warriors need like a 50% nerf in damage, to do equal sustained damage as ranger. Will never happen this nerf. So conclusion, if rangers gets no boosts, and othre profs (very maybe) get some (small) nerfs, the frustration remains. Ranger remains behind the meta. Ranger remains even at the bottom. How they want us to see this? Be happy? lol.

If they just could stop taking Nerfing and Pvp so serious, this game would be so much more fun to play.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Some of them were brand new, others have posted on every other profession, except for ranger. Some of them last posted over a year ago. Some had exactly one post before, etc.

Like I said, its not a bad thing, I’m just wondering why they stayed in the shadows until now? The shadows don’t really help us, that’s more of the Thief’s thing…

I think most of the people just realised that there is no point posting suggestions since no one has ever listened to us before. We have had massive topics with amazing feedback and suggestions, great arguments, easy and not so easy solutions to fix rangers but all we got a vague promise “there will be some good things and quality of life fixes coming for rangers in the near future”. 1 year later, still waiting. CDI topic is pretty much our only chance to get our voices heard. After it’s over, we will go back to being ignored.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Chrispy.5641

I think most of the people just realised that there is no point posting suggestions since no one has ever listened to us before. We have had massive topics with amazing feedback and suggestions, great arguments, easy and not so easy solutions to fix rangers but all we got a vague promise “there will be some good things and quality of life fixes coming for rangers in the near future”. 1 year later, still waiting. CDI topic is pretty much our only chance to get our voices heard. After it’s over, we will go back to being ignored.

Yeah….And I will say this.

There has been some amazing ideas that have come out of the CDI thread, and there have been plenty of awesome ideas in this suforum, but, at the end of the day, all those ideas don’t really matter as much as I would like, because, (With as little sarcasm as is humanly possible for me)…. “It is Anet’s Job to Fix the Ranger, Not Mine.”

in Ranger

Bran.7425

So basically It could very well be for the best for us to allow the ranger CDI (class definition initiative, as factoring out most of the post that would be most of what was talked about) to be buried by the various “Warrior OP”, :“Mesmer too weak/PU too X” and the “Elementalist: Whine like Mesmer” threads.

I for one would rather not have this farce continue much longer, let it play out through the weekend if they must, but just flat-out outline what they are going to do with the profession and allow the rangers time to make informed decisions on how to adapt to the change with which as a community has no way of changing. Possible accompanied with a statement of what game mode really matter to their vision as the ranger has been getting mixed messages for quite sometime now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

CDI’s were first postponed because Chris (and maybe others) didn’t have time to manage their thread…
I stated I’d rather have a postponed thread than one with no dev interractions…
Still stand by it and hope the CDI was launched at a time at which it could get attention…

Allie logged in yesterday, for maybe an hour, posted in PvP forums, but nothing in our thread… that made me sad. She could just have dropped by and say she was busy but would try to catch up later… would have made us feel less let down

in Ranger

Chrispy.5641

CDI’s were first postponed because Chris (and maybe others) didn’t have time to manage their thread…
Still stand by it and hope the CDI was launched at a time at which it could get attention…

Allie logged in yesterday, for maybe an hour, posted in PvP forums, but nothing in our thread… that made me sad. She could just have dropped by and say she was busy but would try to catch up later… would have made us feel less let down

Or, maybe,….you know….developers, whose job it is to balance the Ranger profession, could make a post or two in there as well. I don’t think every balance decision is made by Allie.

in Ranger

Jocksy.3415

Or, maybe,….you know….developers, whose job it is to balance the Ranger profession, could make a post or two in there as well. I don’t think every balance decision is made by Allie.

At this point, anyone with a red tag could post in it to try and stir discussion in a positive way…
But as the thread owner, obviously, the weight is more on Allie’s shoulder…
Every time there is more than 2 CDI at the same time, some are just players’ comments.

Ranger’s CDI was sure to stir up lot of attention… to give it to just one person who is real busy with her normal function was sure to be a miss….
I like ranger, and love the possibilities it has, but I sure do hope any possibilities we see in it can be developed… that the caterpillar can become a butterfly…

in Ranger

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

My main in Guild wars 1 name was ‘’true beastmaster’’ take a guess at why? 16 beast mastery and 14 expertise using a staff or a spear/shield on ranger was a force to be reconned with but now what do we have? A jack of all trade pet who is master of none as its stat arent focused anywhere (crit damage + 30% or 300 condition damage… you must be joking!) If we give pet stat scaling and remove those traits from the game i can easily see pet doing a comeback as the ranger burst specialisation.

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

We can’t kill a topic this way…
When time come, they’ll lock it, and read it all up, making notes, etc.
Even I can’t/won’t keep up with the posts per second, but thats else. Now we’re discussing there after shared our design ideas in the first shots.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

It just shows that serious CDIs involving such big topics can’t be done on forums.
It has to have vote polls, different site.

Who takes the biggest hit now? Rangers, because I doubt there are Devs who take care of each CDI and do nothing else. In this format it’s needed. 1-2 people working just on Class CDI to get all worth ideas, collect them, cataloque and then after working on it as a project, presenting to various game teams.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: blud.8174

blud.8174

Here’s a goal for the devs: make the ranger class something that you would want to main.

Besides Hrouda (RIP in piece) I don’t think any of the Devs main ranger. If they do, I’d love to know and for them to be a voice for us.

in Ranger

Jocksy.3415

Here’s a goal for the devs: make the ranger class something that you would want to main.

Besides Hrouda (RIP in piece) I don’t think any of the Devs main ranger. If they do, I’d love to know and for them to be a voice for us.

Correction : “If they do out of PvP, I’d love to know and for them to be a voice for us”

:p

in Ranger

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

As one of those Rangers who never post in this forum but posted in CDI, I can confirm I fill this assumption (I rage quit it monthly then go back because its very description is my bloody playstyle =P [minus the pet, but I’m not for total removal. I just want it moved completely to the bm line]) and hell if I’m not at least decent in it in pvp settings.

To confirm other’s assumptions, I don’t post here because there is no point. I stalked these forums and have read amazing suggestions, many that are now most likely lost. The whole CDI feels forced to me, and I posted there because I feel obliged to share my thoughts on the class I have the most game hours on, even if its just a repeating of others sentiments for the most part

in Ranger

blud.8174

Correction : “If they do out of PvP, I’d love to know and for them to be a voice for us”

:p

Yes indeedy. I do pretty fine on my shout-regen Ranger and everyone knows about spirit ranger. Not sure how BM bunker is these days, but regardless, meaningful changes to Ranger need to come outside of those specific builds. I don’t want to be provided with a short list of possible builds, I want the openness to develop my own with my own playstyle.

When I saw Izzy Cartwright’s ranger video where he was just echoing Brazil’s dungeon build, it was kind of tragic. I was hoping he would offer the kind of insight and ideas that would come from a dev that actually plays ranger as their main.

On a different note: The class really isn’t as catastrophically disastrous as some of these people will have you believe. Most Rangers seem unwilling to experiment and discover the versatility that the class offers. However, 18 months later and (at least what seems like) just two meaningful patches – Aquaman, and Incredible Hulk pet – it’s getting really frustrating.

Even if this pet responsiveness patch is going to be awesome, we won’t even see it for a month or two, which will still leave parts of the class that really need attention.

I’m coining the phrase ‘trickle-down balancing’ to describe the state of this profession. (referring to the power creep discussion going on in the CDI)

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

I find it rather insulting that people who main ranger do not experiment. I have spent over 400 gold transmuting, 1000s of dungeon tokens and have 2 legendaries on my ranger. I have tried everything from trapper, BM, spirit, dps, hell even bearbow for shts and giggles.

The ranger can work, but it works badly and is not reliable in some content like WVW and Living story.

in Ranger

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

ive been experimenting with ranger since launch right now im prety stable using 0 25 0 15 30 but i wish pet actualy got more power. Im kind of sad so many ranger want to actualy ’’stow’’ the pet out

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I find it rather insulting that people who main ranger do not experiment. I have spent over 400 gold transmuting, 1000s of dungeon tokens and have 2 legendaries on my ranger. I have tried everything from trapper, BM, spirit, dps, hell even bearbow for shts and giggles.

The ranger can work, but it works badly and is not reliable in some content like WVW and Living story.

I experiment endlessly, just not in PvE cause that kittens expensive and I’ve already found a gear + Rune set that fits my style of play.

That being said, we have A LOT of viable options they’re just not used very often and harder to play, that and this game has a pet system that is more “reactive” IE: I see my pet doing X so I do Y for synergy, than most games (like WoW) where you demand your pet does X, when you want it to do X, so you can do Y.

They both work very well, one is just not nearly as common as the other, and I feel is harder to use.

That being said I’m very disappointed in the CDI, because 1) Wild Wannabe Developers appeared and flooded the forum with HORRIBLE ideas. 2) when Anet finally gave some info they got yelled at for literally no reason 3) very few seasoned rangers are in that thread, and the most vocal rangers in there tend to be very unskilled and unfamiliar with anything ranger.

I really wish they had done the CDI last week like they planned…. When I wasn’t busy AT ALL with school….

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I dont really udnerstand Anet tbh. How can they post up loads of CDIs to discuss the way forward for the game with players and then claim they are too busy to participate?

This isnt blaming Allie personally, I am sure she is busy beyond her control, but how is it they have NOONE who can come on the forums to speak to us for days on end? In a game I used to play there were people whos whole and entire job was to be on the forums to communicate with players. Fix their problems, answer their questions, read their feedback, etc etc. If you had a good thread with a lot of comments they was no question that they would come and take an interest in it and post a reply.

But to have a discussion thread they themselves created and then not take part in? Thats really taking the kitten.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

In a game I used to play there were people whos whole and entire job was to be on the forums to communicate with players. Fix their problems, answer their questions, read their feedback, etc etc.

That is the role of a Community Manager (sadly the lowest rank in the gaming career), I think we have a CM here, but usually that person doesn’t work direct with the game so they only do the “Crowd Control” on the forums.
What we really need in the CDI is a dev or someone close to them to point how and what we can suggest to improve our class, like all those pet AI suggestions are just useless and waste of time, then Allie wrote about ranger need to be a sustain damage class and not a burst but not much more explanation on how they intend to make it a viable playstile outside duels.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

Well, the ranger is the most controversial class in the game. Pretty much every arhetype does what its expected of it:
Warrior – smashes face
Guardian – classic paladin
Necro – AOE spells(curses) and optional minions
Elementalist – classic mage
you get the point by now…

The choice of merging two extremely popular role playing types into one single class and not giving any option of how you play it was an abysmal one. The Archer class is in every RPG as important as the Warrior and the Mage. These three make or break the game be it a computer or table top game. There are variations on the subject always, but in the end it comes back to these.

Here you are chained to the pet. You are barley able to control it and investing points into it does not really change your type of play. The pet is a bit tougher but it still does the same things as the untraited one. You are beastmaster first and foremost…. a very bad one at that.
The very design of the game does not allow you to play archer. The closest thing that comes to a ranged class is the rifle kill-shot warrior, but that is a one trick pony and not a viable style at all in the long run.
The missing third big pillar of any RPG , THE MEDIUM ARMOR NIMBLE ARCHER is missing and people have every right to be upset.

Conclusion: the closest thing to the archer is the ranger but you are chained to the ill working pet, you cannot really play bows, there is no real interaction between the ranger and said pet and there is no variance of play style of physical or spell damage, burst or sustain, AOE or single target. Everything is spammy low effect abilities over and over and over and over.

in Ranger

blud.8174

Honest question, does longbow warrior not fit the archer-class that some people are looking for?

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Once we got beyond the whole “Animal companion as an Aspect” discussion, the entire thing just got away from me too and I couldn’t even keep up with it.

This is where I think they really need to add Flood control so that certain threads like these only allow 3 posts per day from each contributor, forcing equal contribution from everyone instead of a handful of the most vocal people dominating every issue while making it more difficult for everyone else to “keep up with it”.

I’m giving up at this point. I really thought the “Semi-Stow” / Aspect idea Allie mentioned (B/c obviously they also had their own ideas going into this and weren’t as interested ours unless they were super low hanging fruit) — actually had some potential if done right. …but there’s no way it’ll be done right now with 30+ pages to have to read through and the nagging reality in the back of all of our minds that it will also be balanced around Conquest mode instead actual the PVE meta that everyone else clearly Voted for.

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Honest question, does longbow warrior not fit the archer-class that some people are looking for?

Since when has the “Archer Class” ever been a heavy class? And we wanted a class with a bow that was awesome, not just sort of okay, in the right situation.