I would like a response from Arenanet

in Ranger

Posted by: ilJumperMT.4871

ilJumperMT.4871

Is there any plans to look at Ranger?

Currently ranger is the weakest class in tPVP. In fact top guilds like TP and SS don’t ever use a Ranger and tell you themselfs that Ranger is horrible in tPVP.

Basically Everything Ranger can do, other classes can do better.

in Ranger

Posted by: Siveon.8759

Siveon.8759

I agree, the ranger is the “jack-of-all-trades, master of none” even if you focus on one particular role.

• Warrior banners are better then our spirits.
  • Thief traps are better then our traps.
  • Our pet barely hits players due to them having to stop every time they attack, which means Rangers lack in overall damage since the pet is part of the equation.

The only reason to play a Ranger is if you like the profession, if you are serious about team pvp then you might as well play a thief or a warrior as both can outperform us in every single aspect.

in Ranger

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

Yep, ranger needs some major love..

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

in Ranger

Posted by: Valk.4013

Valk.4013

Hrmm that’s funny because I talk quite a bit with tp and they think rangers are fine, and everyone is in agreeance that warriors in tpvp are the lowest of the low. They don’t run a ranger because none of them play one and they don’t have room for it in their team comp…

in Ranger

ilJumperMT.4871

^Wrong

Someone form TP wanted to main ranger. His ranger is lvl 80 but in sPVP he cannot use ranger. He told me himself to forget ranger in tpvp

in Ranger

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

"

Hrmm that’s funny because I talk quite a bit with tp and they think rangers are fine, and everyone is in agreeance that warriors in tpvp are the lowest of the low. They don’t run a ranger because none of them play one and they don’t have room for it in their team comp…

You are either flat out telling a lie, or someone has lied to you. First warriors are not even close to the lowest. You just need to build a little different than most mouth breather warriors know, (i.e. no 5 signet gs).

in Ranger

Posted by: Drakken.3427

Drakken.3427

I don’t expect to see any major revamps until the first expansion or major content patch.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in Ranger

ilJumperMT.4871

Shortbow on ranger is nerfed.
Try talking to Zalema in game next time

in Ranger

Sprawl.3891

wellkitteni guess he will have to roll another class up to 80 to pvp, oh wait.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pirhana.8935

Pirhana.8935

Rangers are one of the best classes in standoffs and keep defense, they are also very good at roaming if your set up for it. but i guess this only applies to WvW

in Ranger

Sprawl.3891

i dunno i thoroughly enjoy playing ranger on tournies and have had no probs helping the team, could another class fill the roll better? probably but who cares when 90% of games are wins? When they add all of the tourny pvp extras like rankings, paid tournaments etc then ill worry about complaining about balance.

in Ranger

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

Sprawl.3891

i dunno i thoroughly enjoy playing ranger on tournies and have had no probs helping the team, could another class fill the roll better? probably but who cares when 90% of games are wins? When they add all of the tourny pvp extras like rankings, paid tournaments etc then ill worry about complaining about balance.

I’d rather they do as much as they could to balance classes before rankings and paid tournaments.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Please stop with this ridiculous idolizing. Why does it matter what they think? Just because you’re good at playing the game, it doesn’t mean you know all there is to know about it. The game is only a month old. I’m assuming these players don’t like the Ranger because they exclusively play defined roles. They want to create a team were each player has one role, and the Ranger doesn’t really play into that as well as other professions. Which is fine, nothing wrong with that. But that doesn’t mean the Ranger is a bad profession overall.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

Shortbow on ranger is nerfed.
Try talking to Zalema in game next time

And… you know shortbow was nerfed…how?

A speculation thread?

Sorry, not a reliable source.

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

in Ranger

ilJumperMT.4871

Please stop with this ridiculous idolizing. Why does it matter what they think? Just because you’re good at playing the game, it doesn’t mean you know all there is to know about it. The game is only a month old. I’m assuming these players don’t like the Ranger because they exclusively play defined roles. They want to create a team were each player has one role, and the Ranger doesn’t really play into that as well as other professions. Which is fine, nothing wrong with that. But that doesn’t mean the Ranger is a bad profession overall.

I fail to understand how you can say Ranger is a decent profession when its absolutely horrible and useless in tPVP

in Ranger

Posted by: Tent.8620

Tent.8620

Is there any plans to look at Ranger?

Currently ranger is the weakest class in tPVP. In fact top guilds like TP and SS don’t ever use a Ranger and tell you themselfs that Ranger is horrible in tPVP.

Basically Everything Ranger can do, other classes can do better.

Funny. I was just in the Elementalist, then Mesmer, then Engineer, then Warrior, then Necromancer forums and they all also claimed that they were the weakest class in tPvP and that they’re also the class where everything they do every class does better.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I fail to understand how you can say Ranger is a decent profession when its absolutely horrible and useless in tPVP

All I read you saying in this thread is “this mildly famous player says the Ranger is bad, so therefor it must be true”. You trust too much in what others say. Why not try to prove them wrong instead? You might discover something they didn’t..

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

In fact top guilds like TP and SS don’t ever use a Ranger and tell you themselfs that Ranger is horrible in tPVP.

You do realize there are 8 professions but only 5 slots on a tPvP team, right? It is impossible to actually use all of them. No matter what balance tweaks Anet makes, a specific team is always going to be neglecting several professions, so the community cannot use that as the baseline to determine viability in sPvP.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in Ranger

ilJumperMT.4871

Dump for justice.

I would appricate something like “We are not happy with current stat of ranger in tpvp, Please look foward towards balancing all classes”

in Ranger

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

:( Sad to hear this. Ranger is one of the Kings of PvE imho, so it sucks that that doesn’t carry well into PvP.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

In fact top guilds like TP and SS don’t ever use a Ranger and tell you themselfs that Ranger is horrible in tPVP.

You do realize there are 8 professions but only 5 slots on a tPvP team, right? It is impossible to actually use all of them. No matter what balance tweaks Anet makes, a specific team is always going to be neglecting several professions, so the community cannot use that as the baseline to determine viability in sPvP.

Logic dictates that if you can only pick 5 of 8, you’d expect them to pick the best 5…

I think you’ve missed the point there.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ravel.8145

Ravel.8145

Ranger is not weak, it’s just not as easy to play as it would look at first glance. Positioning is a must for this class, as is multitasking and the ability to dodge the important stuff.

As somebody else in this thread already said: No problem with running a ranger in tourneys. Precious TeamParadigm has no means to actually evaluate the rangers worth in tourneys, since they fight randomly matched opponents just as often as everybody else. We have an about 85 % win rate with our tourney team, but that doesn’t mean that the ranger as a profession is good, it doesn’t mean that our team is good and it sure as hell doesn’t mean that I’m good. So how exactly should we be able to say anything about the rangers worth in tpvp?

Nobody can. But yeah, we got no 13k pistol whip, I guess we need some serious love.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shoryuken.9435

Shoryuken.9435

Ranger has a lot of bugged mechanics.
Majority of the skills are not worth a single point.
Traits need to be looked at, some are hilarious and must have been a joke or just not working at all .
Pet skills are sooooo sloooow.
Pet’s movement is the worst I’ve seen.
Pet’s can’t attack on the move.
Pet’s die to fast, just you wait until you get higher level and send your pet in—he’ll be back dead in 0.3 seconds. Unless you trait, signet and thoughness boost them. Then they’ll die in 5 sec instead.
Spirits need love.
Longbow needs love.
Dagger is a joke.
Sword attack animation or auto attack ruins movment, bugs and you have to spam dodge to get one if your useing 1h sword. The 2nd sword skill is trash, remove it or redo it.

I know other classes has there faults too, but yeah. Anet you have to show us something. Prove to us that we can have faith in you fixing these things in near future?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Logic dictates that if you can only pick 5 of 8, you’d expect them to pick the best 5…

Or you missed it. There are 8 total classes- if they fix us to be in the top 5, then the bottom 3 will just QQ until they make top 5, on and on until we’re back in the bottom 3.

At the end of the day, SOMEONE has to be the odd kid out (or kids, since there will be 3 of us). We’re just the unlucky group.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lorien.9107

Lorien.9107

I noted this aswell that the ranger gets weaker in spvp every week.
The ranger dmg output is just not enough, mainly because of that terrible pet.
Also it looks like most of other ranger players have already switch to a different class.
I see hardly any other Rangers in my spvp or tpvp fights.

In WvW it is not that bad, because usually you do not have 1v1 fights.

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

Or you missed it. There are 8 total classes- if they fix us to be in the top 5, then the bottom 3 will just QQ until they make top 5, on and on until we’re back in the bottom 3.

At the end of the day, SOMEONE has to be the odd kid out (or kids, since there will be 3 of us). We’re just the unlucky group.

No, I didn’t miss anything. What you’re saying is the Ranger class is currently taking one for the team while being one of the bottom feeders of the 8. While the other person is saying you can’t use “Pro’s” opinions to determine the viability of the class.

Read, think, then reply. The forum works better than way.

in Ranger

Posted by: rav.4982

rav.4982

go to necro forums: necros are the worst, go to mesmer forum mesmers are the worst, go to warrior forum its warriors

in Ranger

ilJumperMT.4871

go to necro forums: necros are the worst, go to mesmer forum mesmers are the worst, go to warrior forum its warriors

Necro needs love too.

Basicaly Ele Necro and Rangers

in Ranger

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

Basicaly Ele Necro and Rangers

In that order. Ranger could definitely use some love, but Ele’s need it more. Necros too. I’d add Engineer to that list as well, right after Ranger.

First and foremost, they need to make a concerted effort to fix the majority of bugs for every class, because that’s going to affect overall balance a LOT. Right now, every class has 20+ bugs that significantly impact their gameplay. Once those are squared away, further balance should be priority.

in Ranger

Drakken.3427

relax bros the game just came out a month ago and you expect everything to be fixed overnight

in Ranger

Stice.5204

No, I didn’t miss anything. What you’re saying is the Ranger class is currently taking one for the team while being one of the bottom feeders of the 8. While the other person is saying you can’t use “Pro’s” opinions to determine the viability of the class.

No, I don’t really think the opinion of “pros” can determine class viability, especially in a game that doesn’t even have an active ranked tournament scene yet. Many of these allegedly top players have nothing but their own confidence to back up their claims, or performance resumes from completely different games where they may have had nothing to do with discovering and developing competitive playstyles.

In short, I don’t believe that they’ve already discovered all the nuances of PvP balance in Guild Wars 2.

And no, I don’t think you can make the argument that a certain class is broken and needs to be buffed just because a well known tournament team isn’t using it. As I noted before, it’s not possible for a single team to use all 8 professions at once, no matter how well they are balanced. If you use that as a criteria for class balancing, you’re just asking for a neverending cycle of balance tweaks and complaints as passionate advocates of all 8 professions argue that it’s unfair their character isn’t one of the 5 on a tPvP team’s roster. It’s an unproductive way of framing the discussion because the entire thing is chasing a goal that is literally impossible.

Note that I have not commented on whether or not rangers need to be buffed in sPvP. I don’t know. Maybe they do. (I just play PvE and WvW myself, where rangers seem fine if not slightly overpowered so I have no horse in this race.) I am simply saying that basing balance analysis on the choices of “pro” players is really dubious.

Guardian, Engineer

in Ranger

ilJumperMT.4871

Just look at how Ranger Traits and how much of them are bugged…..

in Ranger

Stice.5204

Just look at how Ranger Traits and how much of them are bugged…..

There’s a large list of bugs stickied at the top of every profession’s forum. The ranger’s isn’t any longer or worse than what pretty much everyone is dealing with.

It’s unfortunate that the game launched with so many bugs, but it’s not hitting us any harder than others. Anet says that general balance will improve once most of them fixed. I’m not sure if that’s true but it’ll at least change quite a bit. There are currently a lot of abilities that should be pretty significant that aren’t working correctly.

Guardian, Engineer

in Ranger

Posted by: GeNexis.3680

GeNexis.3680

Any rangers ever get the “Obstructed” message when you are firing at a target that is out in the open in plain sight… nothing blocking them or in the way for my shots to be obstructed?

I feel like this happens far too often especially when i pop Quickening Zephyr on my shortbow or use Rapid Fire on my long bow.. the first 3 or 4 shots on Rapid Fire do nothing because the target is “Obstructed” by some invisible anti ranger wall… Our damage is already fairly low compared to other classes and to top it off bugs like this drop it even lower.

Im sitting at about 2300+ power enough precision and to get me to 48 – 50% crit chance and about 90%+ crit damage. Other classes are able to pump or higher auto attack numbers than I am on single targets and higher AE numbers than I can even do to a single target. Taking skill out of the equation I have pretty close to the best gear you can get at this point minus a legendary weapon which is a small boost in damage if anything and any other class can out perform damage wise and utility wise… again this is just based on pure class mechanics not taking into consideration any skill that play may or may not have.

There are situations where I will go 1v1 and take out a warrior or a thief without issue but thats just because that player was terrible. Most of the time I will notice things he messed up on or should have done differently that would have guaranteed my death. take 2 equally skilled players 1 a ranger and 1 of any other class… in most situations the ranger will lose. Yeah I can pop my 6second signet invulnerably and then pop my other 6 second invulnerably where my pet takes damage and maybe win because i spent 12 seconds being invulnerable but then i’m screwed until those are back off cool down which is a pretty decent amount of time.

I love my ranger I really do and I will continue playing it but we do need some work. I feel like it is easier for them to buff us than to nerf 7 other classes.

in Ranger

Drakken.3427

No but I get the “Invulnerable” when shooting them with the bow if I’m on a different surface, but still “eye” level with the enemy.

in Ranger

Posted by: Akardo.2954

Akardo.2954

Ranger is my favourite profession at the moment (switched from Thief at 34, now my Ranger is 30), because I find them to be a lot of fun.

But, as many have already said, the problem is the pet stops to attack which makes it impossible for pets to contribute effectively to your overall damage.

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

No, I don’t really think the opinion of “pros” can determine class viability, especially in a game that doesn’t even have an active ranked tournament scene yet. Many of these allegedly top players have nothing but their own confidence to back up their claims, or performance resumes from completely different games where they may have had nothing to do with discovering and developing competitive playstyles.

In short, I don’t believe that they’ve already discovered all the nuances of PvP balance in Guild Wars 2.

And no, I don’t think you can make the argument that a certain class is broken and needs to be buffed just because a well known tournament team isn’t using it. As I noted before, it’s not possible for a single team to use all 8 professions at once, no matter how well they are balanced. If you use that as a criteria for class balancing, you’re just asking for a neverending cycle of balance tweaks and complaints as passionate advocates of all 8 professions argue that it’s unfair their character isn’t one of the 5 on a tPvP team’s roster. It’s an unproductive way of framing the discussion because the entire thing is chasing a goal that is literally impossible.

Note that I have not commented on whether or not rangers need to be buffed in sPvP. I don’t know. Maybe they do. (I just play PvE and WvW myself, where rangers seem fine if not slightly overpowered so I have no horse in this race.) I am simply saying that basing balance analysis on the choices of “pro” players is really dubious.

That’s your opinion and that’s fine. If you play sPvP, you’ll see what these people are talking about. Personally I think Rangers blow in sPvP, especially if you use longbow. I can win at sPvP, I just have to work twice as hard at it compared to another class. So I’m not surprised to see people opting to go with something else.

In sPvP, you’re basically being forced into a fight where you’re range dependent and you cannot fight on your own terms, which is max disance kiting. Moreover, retreating is not an option because of time constraints. That said, if you want to determine the viability of the class, sPvP is the place to guage it at because people are on equal footing….supposedly. Just because you can go pew pew in WvW with 1500 range on people with lesser gear doesn’t make the Ranger class good in sPvP which is where most of the class tier talk stems from.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

its a fair question.either is or not a balance prof the ranger need some fixes and we didnt see any of them at the latest patch

in Ranger

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hi everyone.

The dev team receives a great deal of feedback concerning each of the classes, the ranger included. They are working actively in fixing all the major bugs and will keep the work flow in the future to address further issues.

We will pass on your concerns and proceed to lock the thread.
Thanks for your understanding.