If leaked updates are true...what I hate most

in Ranger

Posted by: Tom.6478

Tom.6478

First, I’m talking about PVE. In fact, I’m not even talking dungeons.

I came across the BM build….ie… 30 points beast mastery.

It was the first build where I thought I could compare with others….at least in PVE.

My fingers simply don’t work like others. Having the pet do so much damage was a god send to me.

Now I don’t expect a game to conform to my wishes.

What gripes me is they give you certain parameters….and so you act on them.

Meaning you set up, buy, clothed with armor of your choice, only to find out that alt is getting nerfted.

I spent 2 months making a male and female ranger with all the best armor and dyes.

I guess what I’m trying to say, you can spend countless time and gold making your primary character, only have it made meaningless at the whim of anet person that had a bad time in pvp with a ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

I guess what I’m trying to say, you can spend countless time and gold making your primary character, only have it made meaningless at the whim of anet person that had a bad time in pvp with a ranger.

When the game is updated or changed, and new content, new items, new characters or new playstyles alter what you had before, that does not mean your previous experiences were have somehow been invalidated.

Online games change. That can be frustrating, but it’s also one of their biggest sources of appeal. Focus on the appealing aspects and realize that the fun you had in the past has not been “unhad” because something is changing tomorrow.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in Ranger

Posted by: Tom.6478

Tom.6478

I actually like your responce. I don’t totally agree. But you put a positive spin on it.

Since I have no control….I’m gonna think the glass is half full…rather than half empty….

Thanks for reply.

in Ranger

Posted by: Seth.1308

Seth.1308

I’d wait till tomorrow and give some of the changes a try before passing judgement. If the changes to pet damage are your main concern, the 5 seconds of might on crit is going to counterbalance the auto-attack changes. Pet’s wont have as much frontload dps, but we may even end up with higher sustain.

You might just end up with basically the same build, just a trait swap or two.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

Its a page out of Blizzard’s book of how to keep the ‘kids’ (I don’t mean you, just in general as most MMO players are young) busy by re-rolling new toons.

in Ranger

Posted by: ocfallwind.4821

ocfallwind.4821

Well if you have the money, buy some new gears on TP and some transmutation crystals and it should be back to optimal state very soon.

I personally am not too fond of the idea of attributes tied to the armor piece. Makes every big balance patch a possible time that you have to redo the gears. Or I just try to tell myself “well the attribute difference isn’t really that big. I should overlook it and try to master my control skill instead”. lol

in Ranger

Posted by: WvA.8624

WvA.8624

Can someone explain to me why BM builds are suddenly crap? I couldnt find something in the patch notes that said: now its unplayable

But I might have overlooked something.

I currently have 20 points in BM just to boost my pet a bit (since I have a build that gives all my boons to my pet, I dont want it to be completely cannon fodder). Still playable?

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Can someone explain to me why BM builds are suddenly crap? I couldnt find something in the patch notes that said: now its unplayable

I currently have 20 points in BM just to boost my pet a bit (since I have a build that gives all my boons to my pet, I dont want it to be completely cannon fodder). Still playable?

In the leaked unofficial notes most pets took quite a hit to their damage.

Pets
Armor Fish: Bite: Reduced damage by 50%.
Bird: Slash: Increased damage by 15%.
Eagle: Lacerating Slash: Reduced damage by 50%.
Raven: Blinding Slash: Reduced damage by 34%.
Canine: Bite: Reduced damage by 27%.
Devourer: Twin Darts: Reduced damage by 20%.
Drake: Bite: Reduced damage by 27%.
Drake: Lightning Breath: Reduced damage by 17%.
Feline: Maul: Reduced damage by 50%.
Jaguar: Stalking: Critical chance increase while in stealth reduced to 25%.
Jellyfish: Tentacle Slash: Increased damage by 50%.
Jellyfish Blue: Chilling Whirl: Decreased damage by 33%.
Moa: Peck: Reduced damage by 7%.
Pig: Jab: Reduced damage by 25%.
Shark: Bite: Increased damage by 10%.
Spider: Spit: Increased damage by 10%.

These aren’t confirmed though.

All is vain.

(edited by Boomstin.3460)

in Ranger

Posted by: ocfallwind.4821

ocfallwind.4821

For one Zephyr’s Quickness will be moved from 5 points BM to 25 points BM! I’ve been using 15BM for a while but now I’m not sure if it’s gonna be 25BM or 0BM after the patch… mmm.

in Ranger

WvA.8624

I use 2 Moa’s mainly for buffs so the -7% damage wont kick me out of BM. I do hate the ZQ change though.

Quesiton: can you still have a decent pet without ANY points in BM? I still havent figured out how much a difference 0, 15 or 30 in BM makes for the survivability and usefullness of your pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Belfast Bad Boy.8294

Belfast Bad Boy.8294

This is supposed to be a GAME!

It is supposed to be FUN!

Then why am I HAVING to read forums to figure out how to play ranger?

I don’t have to do this for my warrior :/

My warrior was much easier to level and is welcome in dungeons. My ranger has been kicked from dungeon teams! When I play warrior in dungeons I even find myself thinking, oh no a ranger has just joined!

I was disappointed when levelling to discover that longbow was the last thing to use. Imagine – a RANGERS weakest weapon is their longbow – how stupid is that!

Hopefully, the new patch will make a difference. But it still looks like – as a ranger – I will need a much better understanding of boons, conditions, traits, buffs, runes, sigils, power, crit damage/chance, healing, vitality, toughness, condition damage, armour power/toughness/vitality… weapons… trinkets… pets… etc,etc,etc.

I don’t relish the amount of knowledge required to be an average ranger never mind a good ranger.

Should rangers only be for dedicated/advanced players with a lot of time on their hands?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I use 2 Moa’s mainly for buffs so the -7% damage wont kick me out of BM. I do hate the ZQ change though.

Quesiton: can you still have a decent pet without ANY points in BM? I still havent figured out how much a difference 0, 15 or 30 in BM makes for the survivability and usefullness of your pet.

It’s substantial. About 200-300 less stats for your pet, your pet switch has a longer cd so if it’s easier that your pet will die and go into a 45 sec cd in between switches due to aoe, and most importantly you lose the 3 secs swiftness on pet swap which was the main utility besides healing spring that any ranger brought to a team.

in Ranger

Posted by: Krugan.7901

Krugan.7901

OP, the same happened to me except that I didn’t have to level a new toon. I always used traps, but I got bored and decided to change to the other only logical build we have. I spent lots of gold to regear my character(lukily I didn’t use any laurels), it was a big investment since I’m not rich and all of that just to see that build destroyed 2 weeks later. I don’t want to become another anet’s gold sink, so I think I’ll probably just change to another of my 80’s toon, they haven’t been touched since months.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

For one Zephyr’s Quickness will be moved from 5 points BM to 25 points BM! I’ve been using 15BM for a while but now I’m not sure if it’s gonna be 25BM or 0BM after the patch… mmm.

No it’s moving from 5 BM to 30 BM. It’s switching with a Grandmaster trait. So you have to choose between Natural Healing and Zephyr’s Quickness.

By the way, this is the 2nd Ranger trait that moved from Adept to Grandmaster in a patch. The first was Signet of the Beastmaster which allows signet’s active effect to affect the ranger.

in Ranger

WvA.8624

So what would happen if I just left beastmastery trait all together? Would my pet be on a death cooldown forever and add zero to the fights?

Since release I have played with at least 20 points in BM to give me a feeling I wasnt dragging dead weight allong.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

So what would happen if I just left beastmastery trait all together? Would my pet be on a death cooldown forever and add zero to the fights?

Since release I have played with at least 20 points in BM to give me a feeling I wasnt dragging dead weight allong.

Pretty much. If you want your pet alive in dungeons, you need a good 20 points at least in BM.

Your pet will die in wvw zergs regardless of how many points you spend on BM.

These blanket nerfs to rangers are wholly spvp related.

in Ranger

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

I am very much hoping these leaked notes are full of crap.

These changes do nothing to address any of the concerns that are raised about the class and takes into consideration exactly zero suggestions/input from the community. It also makes absolutely no new viable builds and basically does nothing to change existing builds. In summary, if this is it then they may as well have not bothered spending the time.

Edit: I also thought sPvP stuff could be altered independently of any other part of the game. If pets/traits need power adjustments, they don’t have to have any effect on other game types… right?

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]