If pet goes south..

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Furajir.3815

Furajir.3815

Mark my words, with the imminent Weakness buff as a whole across the board, and pets may or may not be taking a hit, I will just revert to regen trapper, and I will use sb and axe/torch or axe/dagger and still lay waste to kids.

You heard it here first. Complain about pet all you want, nerf it’s damage and your’e going to be eating traps for 5x the amount of dmg my pet inflicts.

Tupro-Ranger- “The Great White Hype”
Yak’s Bend(TWIN) Racist against Sylvari
RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

I hate to say it, but this seems the direction things are going in. We only have two viable builds right now – Beastmastery and Trapping – and if one drowns, we’ll all jump ship and move to the other, so that we can feel effective.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Furajir.3815

Ya because I’ll be kitten ed if I’m forced into rolling some type of bow build.

RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

I wouldn’t mind a bow build, personally, but i enjoy beast mastery a lot more. Trapping has no appeal for me; I like feeling like an animal tamer and a hunter, not some jerk with a dog waiting for someone to stab himself in the foot with the spikes you left laying about.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Furajir.3815

Taken from another forum and I agree.

Ranger pet damage does require adjusting but I think it is being approached in an incorrect manner. The problem is that rangers only fully scale well with defensive traits, this is due to low multipliers on their abilities. I believe out of all their abilities 24 of them have a coefficient of .5 or lower. This means that stacking power will not give you much of a difference for them. The only option a ranger has for self dps is conditions which wins by default, due to power not being a thing. This can however be fixed by migrating over player stats to the pets to equalize the shortcomings they get while spec’n into physical damage. If it is being balanced based on the fact a bunker can do damage with a pet, what happens to every other spec then? There is no way to properly balance the direction that was taken with pets, and I think moving into a system where stats are migrated would be in the game’s balances best interest.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Or they could just improve the utility of our non dps pets allowing us to make the choice between utility or damage, instead of just damage.

I said it before..Pigs are a perfect example of this….lots of utility, horrible damage, crappy mechanic on the pet….Give it a Steal like mechanic and i’d drop my damage for it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

Or they could just improve the utility of our non dps pets allowing us to make the choice between utility or damage, instead of just damage.

I said it before..Pigs are a perfect example of this….lots of utility, horrible damage, crappy mechanic on the pet….Give it a Steal like mechanic and i’d drop my damage for it.

I think some of our non dps pets have enough utility (at least all of the canines). And what you said about the porcine leads me to believe you have never really used or tested them. They actually kill the heavy moving golem in the mists ever so slightly slower than the drakes, which kill it considerably slower than the canines due to the cc they have. The only two issues with the porcine family is the extreme cast time on knockdown (necro elite golem has instant cast much large knockdown cleave) and the unreliable/clunky F2 (in drops, placement, and usage). Bears take nearly twice as long to kill the same target.

On topic, trapper all the way. Looks like the devs want to either snuff ranger out entirely or push us all into one build like the elementalists.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Since our dps will most likely remain the same I will make my warrior my main. I’m already 60/40 ranger/war. I also have a thief, mes, and guard I’m leveling up because after 400 hours I’m just about to give up my ranger until Anet fixes the AI in general, pathing, dodging aoe, giving us more keybinds (despite the dev Jon “I Hate Rangers” Sharp not wanting us to have more control over our pets) guard/passive and dodge-roll, longbow gets some love…

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: chris the concerer.2974

chris the concerer.2974

god i hate a few weeks ago they cut my pour polar bears health down to normal so he’s just like a black of grizzly bear

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I’ll just be rolling a trap ranger build, that has a higher DPS than the current BM build with still good sustained healing.

Alongside that, I will running a cheese build thief that has high DPS and survival without going glass cannon, just cuz I want a break from a class that gets so little attention, and receives only detrimental updates to this point (Damage nerf from beta, Shortbow attack speed nerf, Empathic Bond Nerf, and now Pet Damage nerf).

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Mark my words, with the imminent Weakness buff as a whole across the board, and pets may or may not be taking a hit, I will just revert to regen trapper, and I will use sb and axe/torch or axe/dagger and still lay waste to kids.

You heard it here first. Complain about pet all you want, nerf it’s damage and your’e going to be eating traps for 5x the amount of dmg my pet inflicts.

You’re going to use this is WvW ? Bored at work trying to create a build and don’t have enough points or utility slots to do it.

Looked at this, but the healing in the build is wasted. No Signet of the Wild and no Natural Healing.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRAnf8YjAVB2xV2Vo2Bi2DOZ+zzeoIH9IXhRVwpG-jkxAIOB58YR0YrbFRjVrTEVrZw8KFRrGA-w

Put the 30 points from Wilderness to BM to get the natural healing but hate all the traits.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRAnf8YjAVB2xV2Vo2BC2DF5oH9eEr03eXhRVwpG-jkxAIOB58YR0YrbFRjVrTEVrZw8KFRrGA-w

Dunno how you pull this off for a roaming Ranger in WvW

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

I’ll just be rolling a trap ranger build, that has a higher DPS than the current BM build with still good sustained healing.

Alongside that, I will running a cheese build thief that has high DPS and survival without going glass cannon, just cuz I want a break from a class that gets so little attention, and receives only detrimental updates to this point (Damage nerf from beta, Shortbow attack speed nerf, Empathic Bond Nerf, and now Pet Damage nerf).

Don’t forget the Jaguar (wich really is the only pet with very high dps) has already been nerfed atleast once or was it twice? I can’t remember they took a big burstdamage hit on bite anyway.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Don’t forget the Jaguar (wich really is the only pet with very high dps) has already been nerfed atleast once or was it twice? I can’t remember they took a big burstdamage hit on bite anyway.

That too.

I’m really to the point where I feel like, from a balance standpoint where balance is centered primarily around tpvp, that with teams only being 5 man teams, there should have only been 5 different classes.

It’s a pigeonhole principle, and if there are 5 slots and 8 professions, that means that at any given time, up to three classes are going to be left out of team comps. It would have been easier just to design 5 classes, each with an obvious primary function and the ability to perform decently at secondary functions, and call a 5 man team made of each of those professions built around their primary function a balanced team. Then, based on taking more than one of a profession or the changing of a build, the team could be made offense or defense heavy.

Right now, looking at all of the professions and traits, the game is just a poor mix of a bunch of different ideas with very singular core concepts that have been stretched too thinly between too many different professions, and to make everything seem different, they added 1 almost unique quality to every class; the class mechanic. Which in reality, every class mechanic is just a mixture of other classes mechanics.

So now it’s this big clusterkitten, and the cleanup of which is not being handled well at all.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

Right now, looking at all of the professions and traits, the game is just a poor mix of a bunch of different ideas with very singular core concepts that have been stretched too thinly-

Sounds like the game as a whole. There are games I don’t really enjoy at a competitive level (DOTA 2, for example), but they are unapologetically are what they are, and they do what they set out to do very well. GW2 as a whole feels like it’s trying to be too many things to too many people.

There’s a large disconnect between PvE, WvW, and SPVP, and it’s right there in the very way they’re executed. They all remove you from the game via the menus, how they look and function (The Mists lobby), and it’s not an RP thing, it’s just a conceit that this is a video game with different modes. At the same time, it isn’t doing any of those three exceptionally well.

I don’t believe they’ve delivered on any of the design blogs that hyped the game up before launch.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

That too.

I’m really to the point where I feel like, from a balance standpoint where balance is centered primarily around tpvp, that with teams only being 5 man teams, there should have only been 5 different classes.

It’s a pigeonhole principle, and if there are 5 slots and 8 professions, that means that at any given time, up to three classes are going to be left out of team comps. It would have been easier just to design 5 classes, each with an obvious primary function and the ability to perform decently at secondary functions, and call a 5 man team made of each of those professions built around their primary function a balanced team. Then, based on taking more than one of a profession or the changing of a build, the team could be made offense or defense heavy.

Right now, looking at all of the professions and traits, the game is just a poor mix of a bunch of different ideas with very singular core concepts that have been stretched too thinly between too many different professions, and to make everything seem different, they added 1 almost unique quality to every class; the class mechanic. Which in reality, every class mechanic is just a mixture of other classes mechanics.

So now it’s this big clusterkitten, and the cleanup of which is not being handled well at all.

Good idea, now to convince anet to delete thieves and mesmers hmmm you pick the last one

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

That too.

Good idea, now to convince anet to delete thieves and mesmers hmmm you pick the last one

Thieves, memsers and engineers. Rangers will be unstoppable then

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

I think some of our non dps pets have enough utility (at least all of the canines). And what you said about the porcine leads me to believe you have never really used or tested them. They actually kill the heavy moving golem in the mists ever so slightly slower than the drakes, which kill it considerably slower than the canines due to the cc they have. The only two issues with the porcine family is the extreme cast time on knockdown (necro elite golem has instant cast much large knockdown cleave) and the unreliable/clunky F2 (in drops, placement, and usage). Bears take nearly twice as long to kill the same target.

On topic, trapper all the way. Looks like the devs want to either snuff ranger out entirely or push us all into one build like the elementalists.

I have used them.

A. They kill slower then the Cleaving Pet….That means their damage is low
B. They have zero Burst, unlike the Cleaving Drake Pet, which has 2.
C. They have utility, but like you even stated, the F2 is awkward and unusable

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Furajir.3815

You’re going to use this is WvW ? Bored at work trying to create a build and don’t have enough points or utility slots to do it.

Looked at this, but the healing in the build is wasted. No Signet of the Wild and no Natural Healing.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRAnf8YjAVB2xV2Vo2Bi2DOZ+zzeoIH9IXhRVwpG-jkxAIOB58YR0YrbFRjVrTEVrZw8KFRrGA-w

Put the 30 points from Wilderness to BM to get the natural healing but hate all the traits.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQRAnf8YjAVB2xV2Vo2BC2DF5oH9eEr03eXhRVwpG-jkxAIOB58YR0YrbFRjVrTEVrZw8KFRrGA-w

Dunno how you pull this off for a roaming Ranger in WvW

I can pull off anything, and Natural Healing utter trash, I would drop Hunt and just roll with wild, or take 2 sigs and 1 trap.

Can make anything work, its just there to make up for pet dps.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Oh no, a ranger with a BOW? Who’d have thought?

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Oh no, a ranger with a BOW? Who’d have thought?

Bows are pretty bad ranged weapons relative to other classes’ ranged weapons.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I know they’re bad damage – just get a laugh that on a class where the bow is pretty much the iconic weapon, people don’t want to use it.

This is a problem with the bow skills (Long Range Shot should be static damage and far faster) and the fact that our coefficients are seriously low because a) Anet wants a melee only game, b) our pets are supposed to be 40%+ of our damage, and we’re balanced around 100% pet uptime and hitrate.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Priest.8752

Priest.8752

I know they’re bad damage – just get a laugh that on a class where the bow is pretty much the iconic weapon, people don’t want to use it.

This is a problem with the bow skills (Long Range Shot should be static damage and far faster) and the fact that our coefficients are seriously low because a) Anet wants a melee only game, b) our pets are supposed to be 40%+ of our damage, and we’re balanced around 100% pet uptime and hitrate.

You’re missing the point. People would gladly use the bows if they weren’t so terribad.

Lord Deaths Embrace – SoR – HL

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

You’re missing the point. People would gladly use the bows if they weren’t so terribad.

Partly because bows do less damage, partly because even the shortbow places silly conditions to be optimally played in a setting where those conditions will be minimized, partly because bows don’t cleave outside Barrage, and most importantly because bows don’t have much in defensive measures.

Compare a thief’s shortbow that can chain 3-4 dodge evades with a built in cripple to any of the ranger’s bows defensive measures. The only measure you’ve got on the ranger shortbow is a single evade on a 9 sec cd. Concussive shot at a 25 sec cd.

And with the upcoming weakness changes the thief’s shortbow will be even better because you can combo clusterbomb into choking gas for aoe weakness.

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I hate to say it, but this seems the direction things are going in. We only have two viable builds right now – Beastmastery and Trapping – and if one drowns, we’ll all jump ship and move to the other, so that we can feel effective.

That’s just about the worst thing I could have heard about Ranger – this game is begging for help with Ranger and has been since day 1.

Problem for me is that we’ve been promised that we’d be “fixed”, only to be nerfed and not expanded – expanding doesn’t mean making a toon OP, my gosh, can we PLEASE have more than TWO BUILDS like MOST other characters?

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I still use it under certain conditions but I end up going back to ax/torch – Rangers are a joke with a bow, either bow.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

Partly because bows do less damage, partly because even the shortbow places silly conditions to be optimally played in a setting where those conditions will be minimized, partly because bows don’t cleave outside Barrage, and most importantly because bows don’t have much in defensive measures.

Compare a thief’s shortbow that can chain 3-4 dodge evades with a built in cripple to any of the ranger’s bows defensive measures. The only measure you’ve got on the ranger shortbow is a single evade on a 9 sec cd. Concussive shot at a 25 sec cd.

And with the upcoming weakness changes the thief’s shortbow will be even better because you can combo clusterbomb into choking gas for aoe weakness.

Thief shortbow has a great synergy to it. It seems like a thought out weapon.

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

If pet goes south..

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Stuff

Stuff

Stuff

Lol well here’s my analysis from a class mechanic standpoint:

Warriors and Thieves share a similar mechanic; they both have a single button press. Warriors charges by adrenaline, in a similar manner that Necro Death Shroud accumulates, while thieves is just a simple cooldown, similar to how Toolbelt skills from Engineers and virtues from Guardians.
The only thing unique to either mechanic (Warrior or thief) is how steal interacts with the different professions in the games, meaning that to get the most desired skill possible, thieves have to prioritize targets.

Engineers and Guardians, as mentioned, have a similar UI and concept; there are additional actives available if they are needed. Guardians get passive effects while engineers choices are affected by utility selection, which is really the only different.

This UI model, and particularly, how Guardian Virtues work, are related directly to Rangers pet mechanic. Pets are like the guardians passive effects with more RNG, they are passively accomplishing something and you have a UI to actively control them. Necro pets most likely spawned from the ranger pet mechanics, while having another health bar to worry about is a direct relation to how Necro death shroud works.

Mesmers are a bit of a diverse mixture. The UI mimics Ranger, Engineer, and Guardians, but shattering is a completely unique mechanic, even though clones are probably derived from the pet mechanic (for those programmers out there, inheritance anybody?) Rangers use, albeit it has been dumbed down a bit to incorporate the use of shatters to get full use out of the clones.

Elementalists are also similarly diverse but unique. Most closely related to Necro Death shroud, each attunement is basically a weapon swap with the cooldown of a weapon swap, but compared to how Death Shroud functions, both are activating the class mechanic to bring up a new set of usable skills, although elementalists weapon selection affects what skills are on each bar.

That being said, the 5 classes with the most unique class mechanics should be the ones that stay.

-Guardians (heavy armor class, accomplishes the nice mixture of good passives and actives, elegance in simplicity),
-Thieves (medium armor class, stealth is annoying but they own it, risk/reward gameplay, has unique functions),
-Rangers(medium armor, the most elegant pet system, has the capability of doing everything the warrior can do if values are shifted around and the game is polished), -Mesmers(light armor, very unique mechanic, works well integrated into gameplay, can accomplishes a variety of different areas of offense and defense), and lastly -Elementalists(light armor, large arsenal of skills at their disposal at a time, can accomplish lots of different roles, encourages skilled gameplay to master).

That’s just my take on it.