Is anyone running a non-meta SPVP build?

in Ranger

Posted by: Asthenea.1546

Asthenea.1546

None of the meta builds are really doing it for me for some reason. Are you guys playing any cool builds that you made or got from somewhere? If so please link them!

Just want something new

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Power BM tanky-bursty: 0/2/0/6/6 dual raven, soldier, melandru, lb/gs, muddy terrain, SoR, LR, RaO (can use elite spirit if you want but swap in vigorous spirits and maybe spirits unbound).

Use raven f2, follow with swoop -> f4 -> 5 + f1 -> f2 + maul. Gets you a solid burst combo.

Signet condis: 6/x/6/x/x s/x, x. Wolf, Spider, carrion or settlers, troll, SoR, SotW, SoS, RaO. Seems super awesome on paper. Never seems to be as awesome.

Full zerker: 6/6/2/0/0, Wolf, spider, berzerker, scholar, lb/gs, Heal as one, QZ, SoR, LR, RaO. <3.

Might want to experiment with a celestial trap build, I was having some fun with that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

I’ve been having fun in SoloQ with a Celestial 0/2/6/6 SB/GS

Using different pets and trying different traits. I can 1v1 with it fine and hold a point for a little while 2v1.

I play it as 0/0/2/6/6 in tPvP as a home point bunker when running with guild mates

in Ranger

Asthenea.1546

Power BM tanky-bursty: 0/2/0/6/6 dual raven, soldier, melandru, lb/gs, muddy terrain, SoR, LR, RaO (can use elite spirit if you want but swap in vigorous spirits and maybe spirits unbound).

Use raven f2, follow with swoop -> f4 -> 5 + f1 -> f2 + maul. Gets you a solid burst combo.

Signet condis: 6/x/6/x/x s/x, x. Wolf, Spider, carrion or settlers, troll, SoR, SotW, SoS, RaO. Seems super awesome on paper. Never seems to be as awesome.

Full zerker: 6/6/2/0/0, Wolf, spider, berzerker, scholar, lb/gs, Heal as one, QZ, SoR, LR, RaO. <3.

Might want to experiment with a celestial trap build, I was having some fun with that.

Could you like any of those so I could see the specific traits?

in Ranger

Posted by: uri.6521

uri.6521

This is my build:

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-F77g-FCwEFt-a2ZDV-0;2Vt-d27F-8Y317;0TT9;419A57B2;0RR-66Rk0F-03F-034kx

This build is mainly power based and its based on being a balance of everything that one can do in pvp, WvW and PvE.

So the pros of this build

1. Very resilent to burst damage
2. Very resilent to condition damage
3. Deals decent damage if you can use sigils of inteligence wisely
4. Almost all skills are multi target
5. decent mobility
6. Decent support
7. Extreme amounts of active defence like dodges, blocks (can have up to 3 second constant evade without having to use endurance)

The cons of the build

1. Can’t handle more than 3 people for longer than a minute before having to run away

I hope you enjoy my build, since i have been running like this since they introduced the new shout traits and i have perfected this playstyle so i can literraly solo anything in PvP. But its up to you to know how to play this build.

in Ranger

Posted by: milknnuts.8610

milknnuts.8610

Full Zerk: 6/6/2/0/0, Signet Build with LB range trait. Take shorter LB cd and Moment of Clarity. For wilderness survival take Shared Anguish.
Rune of Strength and Zerk Ammy.
LB and GS with Strength Sigils + 1 Energy Sigil + Sigil of your choice.
Utilities: Healing Spring, Signet of Stone, Signet of Renewal, Utility of your choice, RaO
Pets: Wolf + Drakes, Spider, or another Canine, or Feline.
Can be very destructive in hotjoins.
Weakness: Against good mesmers and when fighting good necros at close proximity.
Also don’t get condi bombed. Most other classes go down easy including guard and warrior.

in Ranger

Asthenea.1546

Full Zerk: 6/6/2/0/0, Signet Build with LB range trait. Take shorter LB cd and Moment of Clarity. For wilderness survival take Shared Anguish.
Rune of Strength and Zerk Ammy.
LB and GS with Strength Sigils + 1 Energy Sigil + Sigil of your choice.
Utilities: Healing Spring, Signet of Stone, Signet of Renewal, Utility of your choice, RaO
Pets: Wolf + Drakes, Spider, or another Canine, or Feline.
Can be very destructive in hotjoins.
Weakness: Against good mesmers and when fighting good necros at close proximity.
Also don’t get condi bombed. Most other classes go down easy including guard and warrior.

This one definitely suits my playstyle better. Ill play with this one, thanks!

Keep em coming! Its cool to see all the creative builds like this

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

(edited by Eurantien.4632)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I don’t take it seriously, but I’ve got my ranger running a perma chill build. At least 2/6/0/0/2, MH axe, sigils of ice, runes of ice, and owl. Consider hydro sigil, ice drake, snow leopard, sword, sb, torch, etc.

It’s pretty fun to use. Might make some people hate you forever. Probably works best as hybrid, as traps and Axe will be putting out quite a few condis, but you’ve got that basically permanent 5% damage and a bird/drake/cat.

Fishsticks

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I am running the old school 0 0 6 2 6 BM bunker build. Works wonders for me

in Ranger

Asthenea.1546

I am running the old school 0 0 6 2 6 BM bunker build. Works wonders for me

What traits and stuff you taking?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I am using shared anguish, OH training, EB, nature bounty, mighty swap, vigorous training and zephyr swap.

Settlers amulet with dwayna runes, sword + torch with geomancy and corruption sigils, axe + dagger with geomancy and energy sigils.

Lynx + wolf.

An alternative is to run wolf and fern and take invigorating bond if you are going mid to fight.

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

When people say meta build I ask, where did you get a meta build? Are they selling them a GW2 convenience store somewhere? Is someone in the forums handing out links to builds that have a ‘community seal of approval build, we call this one meta, enjoy’? All I see in the forums is a million different ways of making a power, condition, bunker, spirits, renewal and beast mastery builds… so what meta?

If you want builds here, take them: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/LF-Guide-on-WvW-sPvP-Build-s/first#post3951880

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

Having a blast in SPVP

GS/Axe-Axe

2-0-6-6-0 (WS/OHT/EB or BS – SoTF/NP/EP)

LR/QZ/SoTW –
Elite: Either Entagle or RaO depending on mood.

Dolyak Runes –
Celestial Amulet
Sigils of Energy/Water

Had 3 on me for 2 mins one match (one a ranger who I stomped twice alone 1v3 after the second down he didn’t come back) defending point and they all kittened I was near invulnerable. Ranger asked for build following match.

I swap EB and BS dependent on other team make-up…heavy conditions I use EB..mostly power based I swap to Bark Skin..

Use Wolf/Brown bear for defensive reasons (Fear/SiO)

(edited by Sarlack.4096)

in Ranger

awge.3852

Having a blast in SPVP

GS/Axe-Axe

LR/QZ/SoTW –

Dolyak Runes –
Celestial Amulet
Sigils of Energy/Water

Had 3 on me for 2 mins one match (one a ranger who I stomped twice alone 1v3 after the second down he didn’t come back) defending point and they all kittened I was near invulnerable. Ranger asked for build following match.

I swap EB and BS dependent on other team make-up…heavy conditions I use EB..mostly power based I swap to Bark Skin..

^
This right here, with your own little twists is a good build, got to have strong combat skills to roll with it though and yes you’re strong and hard to kill but not invincible, even in if its a 1 vs 1.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

Glad you like Sir….my mentality has always been survival first

I like that its flexible and can easily adapt on the fly

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

If you’re a good player you can make literally anything work, it’s just meta builds will generally allow for higher potential.

in Ranger

awge.3852

Glad you like Sir….my mentality has always been survival first

I like that its flexible and can easily adapt on the fly

It’s the same build I use, but with my own little personal touches so I relate with the amazing amount of survival, yet you can lose. If your enemy knows 100% what you’re capable of they can trait themselves to destroy you… ever fought a condition spam thief? pain in the @ss no matter who you are, quite OP in 1 vs 1 pvp (and no where else).

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

If you want something that is far from the meta, but yet, extremely effective at 1vs1’s and holding points, try this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQRAnY8fnEqQvgWxC+rAXLGoQo6tCcHgAw98GD5cBTOA-TpxCwAOOBAAOCAHOIAXeAAS3fIbZAA

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in Ranger

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

when i’m bored i play a sniper ranger and get somewhere high, like the cliffs on foefire, the ledge at raven on Spirit watch, or covering mid on Storms.

its great nuking someone down before they can even reach the point

its a fairly basic maxed out glass cannon longbow “eagle eye” build

in Ranger

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Well im not the best pvper out there but im not a total noob either, this is the build im using: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQRAnY8fjMqUva5Kusw1aAAhaVA0eGa2Ygd+2BfwBnO5A-TZhBwAAOBAaOIA52fIyTAwbZAA
Its a heavily chill based.. err… hybrid damage beastmaster duel build.. or something like that. I dont know if its viable for absolute top level pvp but for me works it works fine. I can win a good 8 or 9 from 10 1vs1 encounters i have in teamq with the only class im scared of by default being tanky condition necromancers.
And i have yet to meet someone i wasnt able to permachill but maybe im only fighting noobs i dont know. Keeping the enemy chilled utilizes the damage of my pet to its maximum for the most time, i think its quite funny actually.
I even got already hate whispers, even from thiefs! Dont know how common that is as a ranger. From my experience i would say the build is like this:

+Pretty good hybrid and pet damage, makes pressure
+good amount of evades
+not exactly untanky
+chill lol

-not exactly unbelievably high damage or survivability, its more balanced
-no way to interrupt an enemy from lets say stomping an ally
-slow outside of combat
-i get beaten to a pulp when facing many enemies at once.

But then again, i dont know that much so it could totally suck, to be honest i dont even know if its meta or not but i highly believe its not.

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

in Ranger

Posted by: Roeore.6274

Roeore.6274

Similar to Ghotistyx.6942 i’ve been running chill on my ranger

Since sigil of ice has gone from on critical hit to on hit it opens up the ability for you to utilise it with a bm bunker

this is what ive been using

http://bit.ly/1jeO894

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

If you use immob spider and time the immob someone in your frost trap you can get like a 75% uptime on chill alone. Then with axe you have 100%+ of chill uptime. That means, you could use more useful pets (like river drake, fear wolf, immob spider) instead of the slightly sub par chill wolf, and sub par other pets that apply chill.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Well, I recently went with Might stacking ranger. Something like 2/2/2/6/2. SB+S/D with Battle and Geomancy sigils.
Keen Edge, +critical pet damage, W.Knowledge, standard SotF and Mighty Swap. Carrion Amulet, Wolf and Snow Leopard (more burst/condi cover) or that cat with might shout (precast on cooldown).

TU, Reflex, Muddy, Flame Trap, RaO. Works kind of nice 1v1.

Has more damage than full BM pet, legit condi removal and not bad overall dps.

Is it avalible in tpvp? Not really. Doesn’t fill any role better than other build/profession does. But ok for soloq and duelling

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: ceejay.2517

ceejay.2517

I don’t take it seriously, but I’ve got my ranger running a perma chill build. At least 2/6/0/0/2, MH axe, sigils of ice, runes of ice, and owl. Consider hydro sigil, ice drake, snow leopard, sword, sb, torch, etc.

It’s pretty fun to use. Might make some people hate you forever. Probably works best as hybrid, as traps and Axe will be putting out quite a few condis, but you’ve got that basically permanent 5% damage and a bird/drake/cat.

Yeh i run a chill hybrid with a condi build! Works like a charm.

Psyyy | PvP Necro |

in Ranger

Posted by: ceejay.2517

ceejay.2517

If you want something that is far from the meta, but yet, extremely effective at 1vs1’s and holding points, try this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQRAnY8fnEqQvgWxC+rAXLGoQo6tCcHgAw98GD5cBTOA-TpxCwAOOBAAOCAHOIAXeAAS3fIbZAA

Interesting, going to give this a try later on. Guessing its sort of a condi/regenbunker hybrid playstyle?

Psyyy | PvP Necro |

in Ranger

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

I’ve been having fun doing soloqs with a trapper celestial build I’ve been testing out for more than a week now. It’s a really fun build imo, altho I never tried it in a team queue.

Here is the build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQRBMRdG2IjKlr2uiLLUtGQQoWFAtrhktFYnAZwGkwvKfP-TZRFwAAOIAJeCAKOBAp2f4ZZAA

Using Axe/ Warhorn and Sword Dagger as weapon sets, with the Wolf and River Drake. With this build I like to time the blast finisher with my warhorn with my drake with the Healing Spring. Warhorn altho not a condition weapon, is still nice if you have the Sharpened Edges trait and Sigil of Earth with Hunter’s Call. I also try to not waste my #5 skill when entering the battle usually I try to save it up for when i need the blast finisher or when I need to go on another point to help.

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

(edited by Skullface.7293)

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Rangers have are not part of “meta” team comps actually, so any “meta” builds you are thinking of would actually technically be considered “old meta.”

Just letting you know. There is no “cookie cutter” standard build for the new meta yet.

That being said, I personally roll with A/D S/T Celestial 0/2/6/0/6 with Sigils of Geomancy and Hydromancy on each weaponset and Runes of Grenth, with improved pet crit damage, offhand training, empathic bond, mighty swap, vigorous training, and invigorating bond being your main important traits. Also, Raven and Owl.

Still, it’s a dueling build and not as much as a teamfight build, or at least not as much as some people would want you to be. Though being able to basically soft CC lockdown a target and a pet that does the same sustain as like, a thief, seems pretty valuable to me.

Anyhow, didn’t have the time to make the link. Bunch of finals today and what not. Oh, and celestial trapper is also very fun and effective as well imo.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

Rangers have are not part of “meta” team comps actually, so any “meta” builds you are thinking of would actually technically be considered “old meta.”

Just letting you know. There is no “cookie cutter” standard build for the new meta yet.

That being said, I personally roll with A/D S/T Celestial 0/2/6/0/6 with Sigils of Geomancy and Hydromancy on each weaponset and Runes of Grenth, with improved pet crit damage, offhand training, empathic bond, mighty swap, vigorous training, and invigorating bond being your main important traits. Also, Raven and Owl.

Still, it’s a dueling build and not as much as a teamfight build, or at least not as much as some people would want you to be. Though being able to basically soft CC lockdown a target and a pet that does the same sustain as like, a thief, seems pretty valuable to me.

Anyhow, didn’t have the time to make the link. Bunch of finals today and what not. Oh, and celestial trapper is also very fun and effective as well imo.

I was trying a build that looked almost exactly the same latelly, but I wanted to try the off hand axe instead of dagger mostly for the interrupt and pull from the off hand axe, since you don’t have the wolf fear if you use double birds. I also put Doom sigils instead of Geomancy because I definitely miss some poison pressure without the off-hand dagger. I tried it and works pretty well for me.

Here is what my version looks like: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQRAsf3XnEqQrgWxCusAXLG4QoafC/6IwKAeXsL7VXwkD-TJRHwADeCAi2fAwJB4YZAA

I also got used to take Sic’ Em with me I just like seeing my birds hitting for so much with it, it’s also great for the SR thiefs. I dunno, at this point I just like to mess around with builds to see what happens haha.

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

(edited by Skullface.7293)

in Ranger

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

Having a blast in SPVP

GS/Axe-Axe

LR/QZ/SoTW –

Dolyak Runes –
Celestial Amulet
Sigils of Energy/Water

I tried this out last night and I had a good time with it as well. A different take on a bunker build I guess. I was curious as I don’t think I’ve ever used offhand axe in sPVP so it was a nice refresher. Whirling defense ended up being my strongest skill lol.

The build has some insane regen potential. I wasn’t sure what Heal skill you used so I used TU. I made a slight adjustment to it and added Oakheart Salve instead of Offhand Training. I was regenerating about 1200 HP/Second: D.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQNAV8YjEqUzaBLusQ1aAAhaVA0OHahYwd/uDjdBraA-TpRAwAAeAAUuAAdOIAeOCA92fYcZAA

Great cc
Great condi removal,
Great bleed dmg,
Great kitability/ evading,
Decent physical dmg.
Decent healing,

Having so much fun. Very flexible for play-style as well. Have been running a lot of variations of this.

Can dance around your opponent all day

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

(edited by Dolt.2731)

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

Interesting, going to give this a try later on. Guessing its sort of a condi/regenbunker hybrid playstyle?

Yeah, it’s essentially a crit damage and condi damage spec. Along with 100% uptime of regen and swiftness. The weapon choices allow the evades of BM, but very nice damage as well

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in Ranger

Posted by: Seisyll.5914

Seisyll.5914

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJATRjEq0waLLmsw1ag9gadA0Andrhw9WcwtdJrIK-TpBBABAcBAw4IAI4+DbcIAKrMAEPAAA

Not suit to fight in meele through all fight but managable, mainly made to attack from long range and to keep the enemy from closing in
great burst,
great mobility,
nice access to cc

pain in the kitten for the engi decapper

80 Ranger | 80 Thief | 80 Ele | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior | 80 Engineer | 80 Necromancer
Piken Square

in Ranger

Posted by: Dead Muppet.9718

Dead Muppet.9718

I run full zerk Long bow 6/6/0/2/0 or 6/4/0/4/0 and stream a fair bit on twitch as Three Minutes.

Is it optimal? No. I bought the game to play whats fun for me… and I enjoy my longbow zerk ranger.

At the end of the day isnt that what we all bought the game for?