in Ranger

Posted by: RevanCorana.8942

RevanCorana.8942

Greatsword swoop erry 9sec
+
Sword hornet sting erry 8sec

Quickdraw…

Do you think it covers a bigger area than a thief
Let’s not take into account that teleport works over ledge etc.. just basic distance covered per sec.
Also with shout means perma swiftness unlike thief

Is melee ranger the most mobile class?

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

A thief can infiltrator’s arrow something like 5 times in a row if he’s traited for it.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Let’s not take into account that teleport works over ledge etc.. just basic distance covered per sec.

Any other restrictions you’d like to add? Maybe warriors can’t use s/wh and GS, ele’s can’t use fgs, other classes can’t use swiftness, etc. ?

Rangers are quick, if you are good at using the about face with sword and get off a quickdraw swoop or 2 from ambients and ledges they are comparable with warriors but thieves are still the king of mobility.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Dash daredevil for sure

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Quick Draw only works in combat (like the million other ranger traits that only work in combat)

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Sword’s combo is only as fast as running with Swiftness.
Count only the greatsword’s Leap (Swoop).

Nope, we are pretty immobile. Your subject would be Eles and Guardians.

Those who are best at everything, naturally.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

Guardians and mobility are two words that don’t belong together in the same sentence.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Puck.9612

Quick Draw only works in combat (like the million other ranger traits that only work in combat)

That’s why I said hit an ambient or use a ledge. I use those little tricks all the time to move around WvW a bit quicker. Only puts you in combat for a second but that’s plenty of time to swap to GS and swoop.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Guardians and mobility are two words that don’t belong together in the same sentence.

That’s why I can never catch up to my friend guardian while roaming in WvW.
Right.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

That’s why I can never catch up to my friend guardian while roaming in WvW.
Right.

As a long time guardian player, I have a hard time believing you can’t keep up with a guardian. Even running a meditation build, guardians have only 4 movement skills at their disposal, 2 of which require an enemy target, and one of which requires an allied target. Even with cooldown reduction traits, two of the above skills are on a 36 and 50 second cooldown respectively. Rangers can also maintain permanent swiftness at about the same effectiveness as a guardian.

Unless your friend is running sword/GS with JI and at least two swiftness granting utilities, I can’t see him ever beating a ranger in a footrace.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Ambients don’t stick you in combat any more I don’t think.

And yeah sword “mobility” is a half lie. Just running with swiftness is as fast or faster. The reason its so good for “mobility” is its surprise burst of gap opener. If you stealth first, even more so.

Any class with a teleport will be master runners. They don’t run super fast with a movement skill, they simply skip all that terrain.

If we remove teleports its down to the classes that got the most uncomplicated movement skills. Heart seeker for thieves, gs/sword/bulls charge for warriors, firey gs ele.

So who is the most mobile over all? That would be the class with easy leaps and easy teleports, theif.

With one exception. Mesmer. A well placed portal can not only save you terrain to cover but it can also save terrain for any of the other classes. Put blink in there and it’s even better. Toss mimic into the mix and its mobility is better than thieves from a different angle.

If you are looking to just break combat as a ranger super fast you cannot go wrong with:
Lightning reflexes
Hornet sting/monarch leap
Quick draw/swoop
Swoop

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

And yeah sword “mobility” is a half lie. Just running with swiftness is as fast or faster. The reason its so good for “mobility” is its surprise burst of gap opener. If you stealth first, even more so.

Any class with a teleport will be master runners. They don’t run super fast with a movement skill, they simply skip all that terrain.

If we remove teleports its down to the classes that got the most uncomplicated movement skills. Heart seeker for thieves, gs/sword/bulls charge for warriors, firey gs ele.

So who is the most mobile over all? That would be the class with easy leaps and easy teleports, theif.

With one exception. Mesmer. A well placed portal can not only save you terrain to cover but it can also save terrain for any of the other classes. Put blink in there and it’s even better. Toss mimic into the mix and its mobility is better than thieves from a different angle.

If you are looking to just break combat as a ranger super fast you cannot go wrong with:
Lightning reflexes
Hornet sting/monarch leap
Quick draw/swoop
Swoop

If you’re in combat, and/or stuck with cripple/chill/slow, Hornet’s sting/monarch’s leap will cover more distance than running. (funny how slow makes leap skills travel farther) But yeah, out of combat, it’s pointless to try and gain ground with them.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Puck.9612

It puts you in combat for a second. So basically you can hit an ambient, swap weapons to trigger quickdraw and leap away.

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

Are we the most mobile? I can’t say that for sure. I can say though in pvp, Swoop and traveller runes are about all it takes for me to beat any other leap based character to a point.

Swoop is low cd even without quick draw. Most importantly though there is very little pre or after cast meaning that you maintain a lot of your momentum around the map. Most other leaps in the game suffer from far more pre or after cast pausing in your movement around the map.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Thief is by far, especially with DD now.
Not sure if we would be more mobile than a Warrior with GS/S-WH, Forceful GS and Warrior’s Sprint either. Maybe with Quick Draw procs.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

Not sure if we would be more mobile than a Warrior with GS/S-WH, Forceful GS and Warrior’s Sprint either. Maybe with Quick Draw procs.

You’re talking about a warrior build that no one runs basically. Anything with ports will obviously cover ground faster. However op was talking about leaps specifically.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I was running gs, sw/sh they other day. But that’s just me ;-)

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

You’re talking about a warrior build that no one runs basically. Anything with ports will obviously cover ground faster. However op was talking about leaps specifically.

Nobody stated the build had to be in common usage… Not that it isn’t, they call it the Nike Warrior (because it can run away fast)…. or that it specifically had to be leaps, even the OP is talking about ports.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Nike warrior or thief in current meta.

Future? Revenant. So many ports its not funny.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

It depends on what you call mobility. We could say it’s the unit/sec or something. A Ranger with GS/SW and LR (and it’s a common type of melee build) can travel 2800 units in like 5, 6 sec, it’s far before Wars for sure.

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Well, the point is moot really because a Thief can teleport like 5000 units in near half that time. Which answers the OPs question. No, Melee Ranger is not the most mobile.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

^ This. Ever since they changed how movement skills worked, the sword about face leap isn’t really worth doing anymore when you have swiftness/SoH.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

We’re definitely not the most mobile (especially in PvP where teles blow us completely out of the water.)

At some point who is more mobile becomes slightly irrelevant though, because most ranger builds can string together enough skills to get out of combat, which is really what movement speed is about (or getting IN combat I guess, if you’re trying to slow someone down.)

Almost dead in a zerg fight? Use your several movement or stealth skills all in a row to heal to full and then dive back in. Or run from a 1v1 when the WvW blob comes for you, and port out.

And as any ranger roamer will be able to tell you, we can’t keep up with the theif we’re roaming with, but we’re close enough behind that it doesn’t matter. He starts the camp like 20 seconds ahead of us.