Is pvp and WvW terrible for rangers?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lilius.9850

Lilius.9850

I’m a ranger who just got to lv80 a week ago. Is pvp and WvW terrible for rangers?

Terrible, as in, the most terrible class that fails at everything because of bad pet AI and low dps and armor?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

my thief wipes the floor with rangers. they are the easiest to kill in wvw.

OP’d thief, lol

in Ranger

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I don’t play much sPvP but I do WvWvW a lot and they have very little options in the way of builds and I’ve only seen a few who can truly hold their own. For some reason I see some glass canon Rangers running around and it just saddens me that they don’t realize they still don’t have the damage that’s worth that sacrifice anyway.

Whispers with meat.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lilius.9850

Lilius.9850

That’s pretty much what happened in my first WvW… got totally destroyed by invisible thieves… never went back after that

in Ranger

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

If you decide to put in twice the effort of other classes to get half the benefit then rangers arent too bad in WvW. Not sure their current status after spirit change in SPvP.

But you would be better off picking another class to wvw in depending on the changes in tomorrows balance patch.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in Ranger

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

They are exceptional at WvW roaming and sPvP. Most players don’t know how to play them or build them for that matter.

in Ranger

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

They are exceptional at WvW roaming and sPvP. Most players don’t know how to play them or build them for that matter.

This. It’s actually LOL worthy hearing how bad people are with the talk in this thread.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

This

Spirit Rangers can absolutely dominate sPvP when played well.

in Ranger

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Unfortunatly you are right, about the only thing that kills me are invis thiefs. Rangers are ok behind a group to LB things down so I’ll stick to that with my useless pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

Unfortunatly you are right, about the only thing that kills me are invis thiefs. Rangers are ok behind a group to LB things down so I’ll stick to that with my useless pet.

Thieves are incredibly easy to kill with a Ranger, with LB you can rapid fire and as long as you hit it before they stealthed you can almost always down them. Or you can you GS or sword to get away and evade.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

in Ranger

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Very consistently strong in PvP (has been for a long time). kitten in wvw because WvW’s inflated stats (115% crit damage compared to 60% max) does not pass over onto the pet.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in Ranger

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Rangers are currently in the top3 of the sPvP meta.

As for WvW, they are well suited for some roles like pursuing.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Ranger

Posted by: crossoverAtt.9680

crossoverAtt.9680

Rangers are very playable in WvW. If being on the front line of Zerg v Zerg is your thing, you might be a little disappointed because you’ll need to keep your pet on passive and by your side. However, in those situations, the brown bear (team condi removal), moas, and jungle stalker are more useful with you at the back line anyway (assuming you are using a bow). Chances are you will want to explore and try things out on your own before diving into Zerg vs Zerg anyway. Rangers do make good Roamers and you most likely will spend your time doing that at first.

Check around for a build/play style you like. The most common are the LB and GS/Sw&horn high damage types and short bow condition/trapping rangers. The melee Ranger is less common, but from my experience very successful. By forcing the fight to occur in a smaller area, it makes it easier for your pet to get in their attacks, and makes on the spot trap skills more useful. But not everyone wants to give up their bow on a regular basis.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mahedros.9103

Mahedros.9103

There was some build over Ranger forum about Front line Ranger with deflects, was quite fun to watch.
Aphotecary rangers are rly good in wvw (roaming), dont go full zerker for ZvZ u gona kill yourself as soon as u use Barrage.

SF- Mahedros – Necro [ARG]-
Januz- Ele [ARG]

in Ranger

Posted by: Coarr.3286

Coarr.3286

yep. and thief is the hardest to kill. every time i encounter one the outcome is like: 90% of the thiefs run away, 9% die because they are overconfident or low skilled and 1% can kill a right played ranger.

when i fight other rangers it is like 98% win for me and 1% draw (coz they know how to play a ranger) and 1% lost. ( i have lost 2 1on1 against rangers since january )

[care] Coarr Ix – Ranger
Kodash
Stomp some Piken!

in Ranger

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

^

Not good in huge zergs though.

Anyways, with that attitude (getting destroyed at your first try and thinkin “my profession is weak!” instead of “did I do something wrong?”) won’t get you far.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

If you run full sig zerk.ranger LB/GS…Yes, they’ll mop the floor with you..

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

OP is at a bad disadvantage at this point with fully tricked out Theif class, especially if you’re a new Ranger with newish ranger gear/weapons. There is a Ranger Build that will give Thieves trouble, but a lot of Rangers refuse to run melee (put the bow away). When I moved over to a melee Ranger build, my loss to the theif class diminished considerably with more draws or a theif running away to fight someone else.

Best bet is to try to get into keep defenses using say… Rampage as One to sprint into a keep being attacked without being CC’d, then use a Bear to take all damage while you’re up on the wall AoE’n and pray you have other defenders. This can be a good strategy to build up Bags and equipment and get the hang of the class.

Oh, and if you have the Karma, check out a full set of Dwayna Armor or Apothocary Armor if you have a way to make the stuff.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

(edited by NargofWoV.4267)

in Ranger

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Thieves will get reveal now… They are the new thieves hunters… And will hopefully discourage all of you guys until you go roll OP warriors.

(just joking on that last part)

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

as a wvw player who have nearly 300 wvw lvl on his ranger i say ranger is your worst choice in wvw team fights. 0 support 0 cc 0 aoe

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Posted by: FirstBlood.7359

FirstBlood.7359

as a wvw player who have nearly 300 wvw lvl on his ranger i say ranger is your worst choice in wvw team fights. 0 support 0 cc 0 aoe

But they are good against doors, aren’t they?

Tz tz

in Ranger

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

But they are good against doors, aren’t they?

Walls maybe

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Don’t play with bows.
Don’t player with power builds.
Don’t play in groups.

These are the ways to succeed as a Ranger in GW2. These are the ways ANet wants you to play.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

it’s not terrible, but as a ranger you’ll always be a waste of space on organized teams, i.e. GvZ or GvG, in comparison to other professions.