Is sword/dagger ranger useless?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jooshareno.4518

Jooshareno.4518

Hey, i’ve been playing ranger for awhile now and i notice on every build nobody runs s/d. Is it because there is better alternatives? No PvE or PvP Build seems to contain it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

PVE should be sword/axe if you’re running sword. axe OH dps is higher than dagger by quite a bit. pvp dagger is a good choice for evades

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

sword dagger is used for lb roaming and some pvp. i havent
played gw2 since sep but lb sw/d was my favorite in pvp before the specilizations. not sure howd it fair now

Bad Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Most people are using druid, which means you want staff, and that means you don’t have many weapon choices. S/D is still as strong as ever, but it doesn’t fit in a druid build that well.

Condi rangers usually take sword and dagger on opposite weapon swaps to split up the evades.

in Ranger

Posted by: WilnerGW.3275

WilnerGW.3275

Hey, i’ve been playing ranger for awhile now and i notice on every build nobody runs s/d. Is it because there is better alternatives? No PvE or PvP Build seems to contain it.

I will talk about WvW roam perspective.

IMO Sw/D is an amazing weapon set. If youre playing a zerker LB ranger, i prefer Sw/D as second weapon set, instead of GS. It gives you some dmg, alot of survability, as well poison(healing reduce) and cripple(makes easy to kite) application.]

If youre running condi build, then you would want to use Sw/Torch and Axe/Dagger.

in Ranger

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Dagger can be used when you know you’re going for the dodge overkill award (Sword 2, Sword 3, Dagger 4, and native dodges from endurance). There are a few places in PvE that can use it, but for the most part you’ll want OH Axe for the higher damage.

in Ranger

Posted by: daniellepierce.9718

daniellepierce.9718

I generally run warhorn off hand unless im in a situatuon that calls for axe 5 reflects or the pull on axe 4

90% of the fun is twitch chat, 10% is the casters trying desperately to make the match interesting.

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Dagger’s just one of the Ranger’s many great off-hand choices and it’s certainly no slouch. It can give potentially 100% poison uptime (never gonna happen in PvP), has a low cooldown evade and a ranged soft CC. It’s very much built for PvP. I’m certain there’s a viable build you could make for Sw/D these days, it always used to be a powerhouse for WvW roaming Rangers pre-HoT. Even if it’s bad, I love mowing people down with sword autos in Zerker/Marauder gear.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I think sword and maybe s/d is our best bet for pvp. It is our only way to mitigate unrelenting assault reliably. Without it we just take too much damage in the current meta. Normally, I would prefer greatsword but the block doesn’t do anything in this meta, talking about pvp of course.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I think sword and maybe s/d is our best bet for pvp. It is our only way to mitigate unrelenting assault reliably. Without it we just take too much damage in the current meta. Normally, I would prefer greatsword but the block doesn’t do anything in this meta, talking about pvp of course.

Edit 2: I just saw the build you ran yesterday in another thread. The choice of sword makes a lot more sense to me now.

Somehow we’ve completely swapped positions. You used to be the biggest GS fan and me the sword fan. Now, if you’re using staff + sword/dagger, I just don’t see where your damage is coming from. Exclusively your pet pretty much, and maybe rabid (??) (edit: Actually they aren’t removing magi, I intuitively thought they would. All the pure condi amulets left suck though, and none have healing power.) for the poison damage makes sense after the upcoming changes.

Although I do think that could be our role now that eles and mesmers are taking a hit, and especially if shouts pan out, we may be the obvious choice for teamfight anchors.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Somehow we’ve completely swapped positions. You used to be the biggest GS fan and me the sword fan. Now, if you’re using staff + sword/dagger, I just don’t see where your damage is coming from. Exclusively your pet pretty much, and maybe rabid (??) (edit: Actually they aren’t removing magi, I intuitively thought they would. All the pure condi amulets left suck though, and none have healing power.) for the poison damage makes sense after the upcoming changes.

Although I do think that could be our role now that eles and mesmers are taking a hit, and especially if shouts pan out, we may be the obvious choice for teamfight anchors.

Its just that Unrelenting assault, rev staff 5, necro marks, mesmer clones, all break the greatsword block (+ all the unblockable stuff out there). I would use marauder or zerker ammy (or whatever the equivalent is) or probably the new power/precision/healing power/vit one. Greatsword might work? But I think in the current meta with the way other classes do damage s/d just has an advantage. To be perfectly honest though, I don’t really know. There is just so much fighting uphill in the current meta its hard to figure anything out.