Just came back from a year break

in Ranger

Posted by: coltRG.6250

coltRG.6250

Hi,

I haven’t played this game in quite some time and last i played, the ranger was very underwhelming in group play and the pet was very wonky……

Kind of want to start playing again but can anyone tell me if the ranger is still bottom of the barrel in terms of class strength and group viability?

I know there is a game notes section, but that’s a lot of reading to skim through to see what all has changed…. i noticed some changes to traits and pet commands and stuff. Has it made a difference to the ranger class?

in Ranger

Posted by: earvinarp.6347

earvinarp.6347

condi ranger is viable and regen pet ranger too

in Ranger

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

I didn’t play a year ago so I can’t say what’s changed, I can say how I view their position currently.

For PvE Ranger offers quite a bit to a group through Frost Spirit and Spotter and thus can be a nice asset to orginized teams, sadly there’s still quite a lot of bias towards them due to most people playing non-meta builds on Rangers in PuGs and not bring much to a team. I must say I’ve seen about 2 Rangers in 3 months using Sw/Wh + Sw/any which is the highest DPS, combined with Frost Spirit, Spotter and Feline (Jaguar for damage, Stalker for group Might) and currently meta, so I think the bias might not be completely invalid. There’re plenty of groups accepting anyone though.

In sPvP they can hold their own quite well in 1 v 1 and can bring a lot to a groupfight with Spirits (different builds) depending on build, definitly worth giving a go if you like the class.

For WvW I assume conditions are the meta, but I don’t play WvW with my Ranger.

As for pet-control I’d try and put it on passive and manually let it attack what you like. My pet’s never pulled anything I didn’t want aggro off and always follows my targets due to that, it’s a bit more effort though. Also f2 has a slight delay and some skills (Sic ‘m spring to mind) will interrupt since the pet goes into some rage (hence the name Sic ’m.) As a slight bonus, Pet’s are wonderful pullers since they only take aggro of what they damage, though I only use this in very few situations, but it’s nice since I don’t use ranged weapons.

But when it comes down to being beloved I’d say they’re far behind Warrior, Elementalist and Guardian still.

in Ranger

Posted by: viralthefrog.6130

viralthefrog.6130

Some rangers make me a really sad panda in sPvP.
Others make me laugh like a giddy little schoolboy.
Really depends on the player, but as far as I can see, Rangers are absolutely a decent class these days.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

Go sword/warhorn and GS or sword/warhorn and sword/axe.

Watch that, use the traits and armor/runes/sigils used and Ranger’s pretty viable in a group.

Don’t and you’ll be sub-par.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

in Ranger

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Hi,

I haven’t played this game in quite some time and last i played, the ranger was very underwhelming in group play and the pet was very wonky……

Kind of want to start playing again but can anyone tell me if the ranger is still bottom of the barrel in terms of class strength and group viability?

I know there is a game notes section, but that’s a lot of reading to skim through to see what all has changed…. i noticed some changes to traits and pet commands and stuff. Has it made a difference to the ranger class?

No. Ranger is still bottom of the barrel.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

in Ranger

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

remind me to turn off spotter, frost spirit and oh yeah “search and rescue” if we’re ever in a dungeon together poster above me. Ranger is not the bottom of the barrel, no prof is. Each has their own niche and excel at some things. Sick of haters. I have 3 lvl 80’s, each for different things, be it PVE, WvW, or PVP. Perhaps the biggest changes over the last 15 months was the reduction of pet damage, reduction of SB range and the advice of some to go full zerkers and melee.
Play what and how you want to play, dodge and ignore all the ranger haters out there.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Hi,

No. Ranger is still bottom of the barrel.

yup nothings really changed

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in Ranger

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

They have not had a Ranger overhaul yet. They have had a few tweaks that make them better than they were, but they are still absolutely the bottom of the barrel.

There is a reason they got the most votes in the CDI that polled who needed the most help. Rangers were on top hands down.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Rangers are great in open world pve, of, possibly the worst class for dungeons, mediocre in a WvW zerg, incredibly fun for WvW roaming.

Pets are still wonky but at least their f2 skills activate a little more often now.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

Just want to add, before people say we’re in a good place for dungeons because of spotter and frost spirit, until pets start to evade when we dodge rangers will always be a bad choice for dungeons. Yes, rangers aren’t as worthless as they one were but there are a bunch of professions that would do a better job filing that spot.

LGN

in Ranger

dkspins.4670

There are certain dungeons, TA, HotW, AC, even Arah , where I’d rather play as a ranger, and have not had any problems succeeding. However, COE is much easier as a Warrior. Fractals are easy enough as a ranger. 5k hours playtime, 2k hrs on ranger, but I don’t do pug groups, since I’d much rather play with guildies or friends.

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

There are certain dungeons, TA, HotW, AC, even Arah , where I’d rather play as a ranger, and have not had any problems succeeding. However, COE is much easier as a Warrior. Fractals are easy enough as a ranger. 5k hours playtime, 2k hrs on ranger, but I don’t do pug groups, since I’d much rather play with guildies or friends.

It’s not a question of succeeding, it’s just other professions can do it faster and bring more utility to the group. The big problem is rangers pets are supposed to make up a large part of their damage but thanks to the crappy mechanics of the dungeons and pets (no dodge) rangers end up playing handicapped.

They need to improve the dungeons so that the mobs aren’t just big blobs of hp that have telegraphed attacks that do massive damage. Instead they should improve the ai and lower the health and damage the mobs deal in a dungeon, or like I said above just give the pets an evade while we dodge. (Or better yet, do both)

LGN

in Ranger

dkspins.4670

Agreed on the pet evasion inability, as well as most of mobs in dgs. Many times I’ve wanted to kill my pet LOL. Lucky for me, since I love my ranger – (and I’m not a bearbow btw and I have 14 80’s inc 3 rangers, 3 guards, 2 warriors and 2 mesmers), I have lots of guildies/friends to run dungeons and fractals with and don’t seem to care that I take a ranger or whatever char I feel like playing.

Rangers were in a better position prior to 6/25/13, as were other profs. Everyone knows Anet loves their warriors and guardians LOL