Posted by: Nugget.8031

Nugget.8031

Da kitten Dee kitten Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb

(edited by Nugget.8031)

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

1. Totally agree. Already fought a ranger today that did this allowing me to dump my traps and cc on him all at once, very easy kill.
2. I somewhat agree. At times I’ll send a wolf in to help my team by fearing the enemies allowing them opportunity to escape usually. I agree that you shouldn’t just send a bird in the middle of a fight though, no point in it.
3. I would say all professions suffer from this. This is player issue and I honestly see it the most out of elementalists. The lack of mist form heal makes them much worse at escaping than they remember.
4. Lol. I find this hilarious. You can tell because they make great effort to stand within the aoe. I just train them with ranged and watch them either bail or go down. It can be a decent tactic against thieves for the tendency to teleport right on the ranger and trigger all the traps, but a thief that does that kind of deserves to die.

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Furajir.3815

Furajir.3815

My fellow rangers, if you are doing any of the following while fighint other players in WvW please stop:

1. Barraging on your position in the open. This is almost universally a bad idea and has become a running joke in our skirmish team. We see it multiple times per night and it has ALWAYS ended badly for the ranger.

2. Sending a pet into stalemated group fight. Those pets between two fighting groups become a bridge for skills that hop targets. For example, my thief SB attack loves rangers and necros because they frequently extend my base attack as it hops from the pet to the group. This in turn allows sigil of fire to trigger into the group. Pets also allow those abilities to essentially shoot around corners.

3. Thinking you are invincible. With a very rare exception the ranger is at a huge disadvantage when the numbers are against them. What I am saying is stop charging into our 4 man team by yourself. You absolutely cannot win under any circumstance and aren’t even a speed bump. Sometimes running is the better part of valor. Call it in and come back in force.

4. Standing in a trap with a bow (doubly especial with the longbow). You are not fooling anyone and giving up one of the rangers best defensive features which is mobility and range. This doesn’t apply to melee.

There are a lot more bad behaviors (such as using Rampage as One too late in a fight) but these are topping my list. I am sure most of this is related to inexperienced rangers but a public service announcement needed to be made since there is a common pattern.

Not trying to be a kitten here and insult the class. I do actively run a Ranger with 8k+ WvW kills and another 10k plus on other classes most of which has come from skirmishing in the lower tiers.

Mhmm

Attachments:

Tupro-Ranger- “The Great White Hype”
Yak’s Bend(TWIN) Racist against Sylvari
RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Blackbird.4382

Blackbird.4382

Haha, this is hilarious. The only motivation strong enough to waste time on a thread like this is to pump out your chest and say “i’m awesome!!!”

“I do actively run a Ranger with 8k+ WvW kills and another 10k plus on other classes most of which has come from skirmishing in the lower tiers.” Check

Ranger/Thief/Elementalist/Warrior – Fort Aspenwood
DAOC Vet – Etheria & Schado Fox

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Katostrophe.3274

Katostrophe.3274

Straegen is one of the worst WvW’s in our server lol Don’t mind him or the noise he makes. Frequently seen as one of the least skilled fighters in the game, heavily relies on groups to save his behind.

Bunker regen ranger would easily destroy all your characters play-styles

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

I disagree with #3.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

All of this advice seems to mostly boil down to “Don’t use longbows in skirmish fights and don’t get caught solo by my group.”

Thanks for the hints. I’m sure it’ll really turn my game around.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

I disagree with #3.

I agree with your disagreement : )

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: StugLyfe.2134

StugLyfe.2134

Different people play different ways .. your way IS NOT THE BEST WAY guy.

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

He’s from Borlis….. move along folks.

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

I do commit crime number 3 frequently, if your opponents are any good they will roflstomp you through the ground most people aren’t good though and I’ve come out the winner against 4-5 people plus the NPCs at the camp I was stealing from them numerous times it’s alot of fun and definetly worth the risk of getting yourself pounded through the ground every now and then when you run into better players and it can be abit of a sport to be able to run away from the better ones too for me.

(edited by Manekk.6981)

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Daogin.6980

Daogin.6980

>watches video of ranger going 1v4 all the time and winning<

Nah rangers arent invincible. >.>

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

You can’t judge a class based on beating a bunch of bads. Mesmers, thieves, eles and guardians can 1v4 like that too and win.

Stuff goes here.

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

There really should be one key point that was missed:

Longbow users, stop using your knock on entangled or immobilized, or currently stunned enemies.

I’ve watched so many longbow users mess up other peoples bursts and AoEs, because for whatever reason they just had to hit that 4 key. I guess it knocks the enemy around and makes them feel manly or something.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

I guess it knocks the enemy around and makes them feel manly or something.

No, its just that it is the only defensive skill you have on the longbow.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Oh wow, another “pro” telling us how to play…

Ranger is my main, I play mostly WvW, 1,5k h+ played on ranger, over 25k kills.
You know what? I run with LB and I won even 1v3.

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I might be wrong about this, but Borlis Pass was matched against Anvil Rock last week. Look at the sPvP ladder and notice that most of the top players are on Anvil Rock. If any server has players which are better at small skirmishes and team fights, it would be players in that tier. They are the ones fighting with and against the best sPvP players in the game.

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Failth.2935

Failth.2935

1. is not so black and white, it can be done smartly as well.
(Example if you’re against melee after you’ve knocked him back and he is closing on you again I might do barrage on top of me with petswap quickness, making the cast time reasonable fast and at the same time switching to my burst pet. Afterwards I switch to my greatsword and ohmagad the burst from sick em + jaguar stealth + Maul + Hilt Bash + Barrage damage & cripple)

Tho if barrage didn’t have the cripple effect I would say kitten it, but in certain situations it helps a ton.

Even when they made pets hit moving targets more reliably, they still miss tons of attacks if the enemy is not crippled/chilled.

Then again I only had 1v1 skirmish in mind, maby 2v1 – but it’s so situational that you can’t say ‘’doing this, like ever, is a bad idea’’. Sure if you run ranged weapons only then I see no point in doing that. Also if the enemy is allrdy chewing down on your health bar then it would not be an good option to do since the skill locks you do for so long even with quickness.

But meh…. Shortbow > Longbow anyway

Ranger till the day I die!
Desolation [TLA]

(edited by Failth.2935)

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

I might be wrong about this, but Borlis Pass was matched against Anvil Rock last week. Look at the sPvP ladder and notice that most of the top players are on Anvil Rock. If any server has players which are better at small skirmishes and team fights, it would be players in that tier. They are the ones fighting with and against the best sPvP players in the game.

Borlis Pass is a joke. You can fight ‘with and against the best sPvP players’ all you want. sPvP is a totally different ball game. Also just because you played basketball with Michael Jordan once, doesn’t make you a pro.

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

Honestly what did you expect will happen? You really think this email will actually achieve any of the ‘just stop’ requests you made?

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Priest.8752

Priest.8752

100 gold my pet could solo the OP while I run in circles….at least until they nerf it.

Lord Deaths Embrace – SoR – HL

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

Well noted!! <insert Snicker here>

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

I’d beg to differ. Anvil Rock is the (un?)official home of gw2 tpvpers. That doesn’t mean that a large portion of them do wvw, or that a significant portion of their wvw’rs are skilled, and it absolutely in no way makes some forum superstar who played in their tier skilled. this is almost as ridiculous as T1 claiming they have more skill then other tiers because they think they have tougher opponents and better players.

ontop of that, all of his points were stupid. the worst thing about giving advice like a know it all is doing it while giving completely bad advice.

1. Barrage does a good amount of damage and has cripple. Just like any other skill, if you think its likely enough to hit something that you are willing to burn the cd, use it.

2. A group fight is a group fight. Adding a pet into the mix is not going to swing the fight in the enemies favor just because they have another thing to bounce off of, they already had plenty. If anything, not using your pet as dps is a stupid move unless you are reasonably sure the pet will die.

3. 1v4? Really? I’ve won plenty of 1v4s. Especially if running the cheese regen build or condi+traps. And there is a good chance that someone in that 4man group can outrun a ranger anyway.

4. Has anyone really not stood in or near their traps when running a trap spec? Since when is this a bad idea? Players are dumb, they fall for this all the time. And better to have your traps out and nearby that way you can use them again without waiting on the cd.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

(edited by Raven.9603)

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Trust me, that’s only possible vs bad players. That’s not even an argument, it should be more than obvious.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Trust me, that’s only possible vs bad players. That’s not even an argument, it should be more than obvious.

Right. So if the OP is giving bad advice, he is probably a _ player. So why not attack his 4 man group?

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

My offhand axe loves when thieves switch to SB; just saying.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Just stop...

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I guess it knocks the enemy around and makes them feel manly or something.

No, its just that it is the only defensive skill you have on the longbow.

Please read through the entire content of my post before responding to something taken entirely taken out of context.

Unless people feel the need to defend themselves against immobilized/stunned/entangled opponents by knocking them out of the immobilize/stun/entangle….

Which in that case, I’m just going to tie my hands behind my back and smash my face against the keyboard when I play, and I guarantee I will be playing better than the people who play how I described in my previous anecdote.

Just stop...

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

I fully understood your post. And I stand by mine. I also don’t like people always bashing on new rangers (not saying you do that all the time, don’t get me wrong). They were fooled by adverisment thinking ranger is an archer in this game. The concept of using your weapon skills as a utility, instead of a damage source, might also be a new concept for some. The dodge mechanic is also probably something new to them, and they think all they can do to defend themselves with is #4 on longbow.

Just stop...

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I fully understood your post. And I stand by mine. I also don’t like people always bashing on new rangers (not saying you do that all the time, don’t get me wrong). They were fooled by adverisment thinking ranger is an archer in this game. The concept of using your weapon skills as a utility, instead of a damage source, might also be a new concept for some. The dodge mechanic is also probably something new to them, and they think all they can do to defend themselves with is #4 on longbow.

But that’s my point, where you see bashing, I see education. If a player screws up others simply because they don’t understand that they shouldn’t be knocking opponents out of situations where they are trapped in AoE, then they deserve to be on the receiving end of peoples rage, as that is part of the educative process if a person doesn’t take them time to read through and understand key concepts before going in like they’re Leeroy Jenkins, when really they’re pulling a kitten Cheney.

Just stop...

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Maybe I read something into it. The OP set up a feel for this thread, which I don’t like.

Just stop...

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Maybe I read something into it. The OP set up a feel for this thread, which I don’t like.

Oh no, I agree, that’s why I avoided commenting or responding to the OP entirely lol. There’s a huge difference between learning tactics versus just not caring enough to read what your skill does and how its going to affect the situation the opponent is in.

That being said, I personally probably have a bias against knockback shot. While it functions as intended and allows you to keep some melee off of you, it doesn’t knock the opponent into a range where the weapon would have a truly optimal performance. Rapid Fire is only real usable skill after knockback shot, and it just has disappointing damage (it should be doing much more for it being the obvious ranged power weapon of choice, but the shortbow ties it in damage output).

In my opinion, Knockback Shot should have been like the Warriors Pin Down skill; a 3s immobilize. This would allow for the player to setup a burst, or play keep away with a melee opponent, and would have lots of synergy with Barrage, weapon swapping to a melee weapon for burst, AND setting up with our pets for some guaranteed pet hits.

So that could be part of the issue with me personally, but I have seen as many good uses of Knockback Shot as I have bad too.

Just stop...

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I fully understood your post. And I stand by mine. I also don’t like people always bashing on new rangers (not saying you do that all the time, don’t get me wrong).

I don’t think my post or the follow up posts are bashing (well except those directed at me on a personal level). I do not believe any decent player with minimal WvW experience does these things. I also believe rangers that are doing these things are doing it because nobody told them not to.

Its funny to me that someone points out some REALLY obvious bad WvW ranger tactics and several people lose their kittens about it. This includes the nasty in game messages and a couple posts here.

I do notice most posters here don’t really disagrees with me save for some very specific circumstances.

If a disclaimer like this one was added to the OP, then the response may have been different from some people than they way it’s going. Just pointing that out. There’s an explained thought process here that shows that the intention isn’t to highlight negative behavior, but to identify it in order to avoid it and better the playerbase as a whole.

However, your OP was much too factual, and if skimmed over, it comes off as (paraphrased): “Rangers, don’t do this. I know this from my experience, and now I’m telling you so you know.”

It doesn’t seem like that’s the way it was intended, and I’m sorry to hear people have been more rude than understanding. But hey, if everybody likes you, you’re probably doing something wrong, that’s how I feel anyways.

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

where did all the posts by straegen go? XD

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

Just stop...

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I’m surprised the mods haven’t closed this thread yet lol.

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Da kitten Dee kitten Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb

Exactly my thoughts!

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

Just stop...

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

In my opinion, Knockback Shot should have been like the Warriors Pin Down skill; a 3s immobilize. This would allow for the player to setup a burst, or play keep away with a melee opponent, and would have lots of synergy with Barrage, weapon swapping to a melee weapon for burst, AND setting up with our pets for some guaranteed pet hits.

Man, that would be great. I would love to knock back, then barrage, then rapid. Then switch to back to shortbow.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.