LB/GS WvW w/out Marks traits? Anyone using?

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

I’ve ran three builds since playing ranger, the typical lb/gs build being one of them. It was fun, but way too soft. Felt like a one trick pony.

Then I see in a post, (that I cannot find again), how some of you are running LB builds without any marks traits.

Have any of you had success with this in WvW?
Care to post the build your using?

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

LB without RtW sort of defeats the purpose of having long range (and the range is shorter without EE anyway.) If you want a tankier LB, I would suggest keeping 6 in marksmanship and putting 6 in WS. You can mix in some valks or cavs as well.

Or do the cele trap thing.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I don’t know that I would personally run without Read the Wind in WvW. I could perhaps mix you up an armor combination that would work for you since I refuse to run full glass anything in WvW myself.

For information purposes though, you may have been thinking of this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/PvP-2-6-0-6-0-Power-Ranger/first#post4979232

Edit: for that stat combo, you could probably start with something like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJATRjEq0xaLL+rQ1ag9gadAUAndveg7APCFspC-T1xDwA7U+1StiYqqcf/BP6CSoEEg5PA-w

If you still need it to be tankier, replace the amulet with knights first, and if it still isn’t tanky enough, try doing one accessory with knights, and then the other if it still isn’t.

Besides that, if you feel like you need even more, change the trait split to 6/2/6/0/0 and run your GM of choice (probably not Poison Master in WvW since it would be the least reliable of the options).

Note that that vitality is baseline. I personally can survive with it, and I usually have 5 guard stacks anyhow, plus borderlands buffs. Other than that, there is always the food route to fill in stats you want.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

(edited by jcbroe.4329)

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

If you don’t run with marksmanship but still want a bow you might aswell run shortbow lol.

The weak bleeds on a tankier build will help you out for dmg and ofcoarse poison. If you like a stealth you could go trapper runes and a trap or 2.

Rangers got a lot of tailoring they can do with their builds. Have fun and go crazy ;-)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

If your not planning on using LB for power , it can bve used in On crit condi type builds to stack Multipul condis on RF and Barrage + mainly used for its Utiltiy rather than damage, using your main set as Sword+ 1 offhand .

reason for sword it also provides fast Lock ons and hybrids condis too with build in evades for survival , reason why not SB as main while paired with LB it brings no Defence VS melee apart from Daze , cripple is too easly removed and the LB set up correctly provides all the condis and effects a Short bow offers apart from the Bleeds on flanks.

So a LB , Sword+torch or dagger will make a great combo while using Trappers runes , x,6,6,x,x speed , utilties , on point defence from traps and bonfire can be used in any condi stat set or combination (though sinisters/dire is the most optimal for this weapon set up for condi/crits/toughness) Vit/hp will have to be gained from other sources or traded for , then cover the condi stat loss into sigil of corruption + sigil of torment goes Extremely well with Traps/runes/Huntershot from the LB and throwing the traps makes a perfect set up for a barrage.

Sword 2 out> LB > Throw trap > huntershot > using the remaining super speed > barrage from a futher location while dropping a trap at your feet to again gain onther super speed , Using a spider for a poison field and a Drake hound for immobilise (do not Fear with wolf cooldown is too long and can be stun breaked)

in turn RF is used for Vun to allow your pet to damage more and a cover condition from on crit bleeds and to cover Poison from the spider or a Poison trap.

the extra Projectile combos from LB help a lot with the field effects to apply weakness too, Even point blank shot the target back into Traps to trigger them.

Potentional condis/ CC effects : cripple, Weakness, Poison, Immobilised, KD, KB, stealth , super speed , Swiftness on swap, Ground targeting (for tower defence and tactical use, (sigils torment , extra bleeds sigil of earth , chill( cant remember the sigil)

the chill could be used to Cover a Extra long cripple using 2 in marksman for predators instinct ( when timed with barrage or RF with food you can aim for 15-18secs of cripple)
its been done before and its quite effective for WvW use.
though as justine said it needs Tailoring.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

in Ranger

Posted by: Hepatolith.6389

Hepatolith.6389

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQNAT8YjEq0vaLLesw1aAGhqZIUrMD3AwdOUuLdBrOA-TxCEABLqGQUKhiT3ABPAgEVdZLlgMp8h89HA4IA0oKEPcQACAgAYoDdoDdoDtbezhezbezSBUuWL-e
This is what i currently use since i figured that i most likely won’t get 1v1’s while roaming anymore. i figured i wouldn’t really need RtW and EE just because the amount of time you spend on that range, especially when you get into a 1v2, is so little that it’s just not worth spending 6 Points in MM for me.
You can definetly use GS instead of SD, but for me, just too many heals of the Defender runes were wasted to a GS block so i went back to sd.

Cayline Oakheart, Ranger – Drakkar Lake
Covenant of Bloodthirst [IvsI],
Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQNAT8YjEq0vaLLesw1aAGhqZIUrMD3AwdOUuLdBrOA-TxCEABLqGQUKhiT3ABPAgEVdZLlgMp8h89HA4IA0oKEPcQACAgAYoDdoDdoDtbezhezbezSBUuWL-e
This is what i currently use since i figured that i most likely won’t get 1v1’s while roaming anymore. i figured i wouldn’t really need RtW and EE just because the amount of time you spend on that range, especially when you get into a 1v2, is so little that it’s just not worth spending 6 Points in MM for me.
You can definetly use GS instead of SD, but for me, just too many heals of the Defender runes were wasted to a GS block so i went back to sd.

Defender runes work when you block, but you have no way to block.

Am I missing something?

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Ranger

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

LB works perfectly fine without Marks Traits, but you ‘ll have to use your other weapon(s) set quiet offensively since LB camping is less effective. I run 0/2/6/6/0 with LB and S/D and it’s just great (dunno if it can work with GS). I only play wvw (solo and small scale roaming) and i killed like 98 % of the rangers i fight and the 2 % are never meta builds. I don’t need the range all my fights are between 900 and closed range like everybody else and with the success i have against other rangers i really ask myself if the max range is useful so much…

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

in Ranger

Hepatolith.6389

Defender runes work when you block, but you have no way to block.

Am I missing something?

You also gain Aegis on heal from the Defender Runes and i personally never felt the need for more blocks to trigger the rune =)

Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The thing with Counterattack, is that you can block unlimited projectiles for the duration and get 2s of regeneration for each The rune gives 2s not 1s on block.

in Ranger

Hepatolith.6389

The thing with Counterattack, is that you can block unlimited projectiles for the duration and get 2s of regeneration for each The rune gives 2s not 1s on block.

i know i know, i DO abuse this when i go full melee but as it stands GS wasted the heal too often for me and the defense as well as the offense GS provides is way to slow imo(you ain’t gonna do kitten vs evasive builds using GS… or at least i don’t). I feel alot safer using sd vs nearly every profession i encounter… it’s probably my playstyle that costs me so many Procs of defender rune when i play GS, but as it is i perform WAY better using sd and relying on the Aegis block of the rune for the extra heal.
That’s probably only for me tho. I’m sure a lot of people will get better results using GS because they use it better than i do.

Favorable Winds [Wind]

(edited by Hepatolith.6389)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sandzibar.5134

Sandzibar.5134

Trying 02660 with barkskin and SotF currently. Helps a bit with survival. Trying to move away from EB as it just kills my pet most of the time.