LOLOL At Grandmaster Traits....Thanks ANet!

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

The arrows themselves travel faster, but the rate of fire is the same. So in the end, it’s the same damage over time. I suppose the difference is you can’t simply sidestep them anymore.

Anywho, I think Survival of the Fittest is a perty good trait. I can now run TU with LR and Zephyr and not worry about condi’s so much.

LR removing immobilize…about friggin’ time!

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

The arrows themselves travel faster, but the rate of fire is the same. So in the end, it’s the same damage over time. I suppose the difference is you can’t simply sidestep them anymore.

Anywho, I think Survival of the Fittest is a perty good trait. I can now run TU with LR and Zephyr and not worry about condi’s so much.

LR removing immobilize…about friggin’ time!

I’m so happy LR finally breaks kittening immob, I’m really amazed that it didn’t do that In the first place….

Also, RTW also makes your damage occur SOONER, IE they take the damage after you hit the button faster than a non RTW ranger, it’s not a DPS increase due to us still firing the arrows at the same speed, but it’s definitely nice to have your damage hit that soon after firing.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Shift Focus.9083

Shift Focus.9083

What they really need to do (this should actually go for all classes) is have all classes have a trait for +25% movement speed and remove the movement speed signets and replace them with something else, It’s a given that almost everyone runs a movement speed signet, because you run really freaking slow without it, for instance… warriors have a trait (run 25% faster while holding a melee weapon), why can’t other classes have that or something similar? I think the game is really holding people back from playing the builds they want to play just because they automatically lose 1 utility slot for movement speed buff.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

What they really need to do (this should actually go for all classes) is have all classes have a trait for +25% movement speed and remove the movement speed signets and replace them with something else, It’s a given that almost everyone runs a movement speed signet, because you run really freaking slow without it, for instance… warriors have a trait (run 25% faster while holding a melee weapon), why can’t other classes have that or something similar? I think the game is really holding people back from playing the builds they want to play just because they automatically lose 1 utility slot for movement speed buff.

The only point in time where you NEED the movement speed is if you’re a roamer, and even then if your profession has movement via weapon skills, you don’t even NEED the signet to perform that role.

And if you don’t have the signet it’s almost a gaurantee that 1) Your incombat mobility is better than everyone elses (oh look, guardians and mesmers) or 2) you’ve got something else you can do in traits (oh look, engis with perma swiftness, and warriors with their melee weapons)

Also, if you REALLY want that movement speed but don’t want to give up your utilities there’s runes for that… and it’s weird how you think giving up a utility skill is less damaging than giving up a trait, you do realize those utility skills have pretty good active effects that you SHOULD be using right?

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

I like SoH for the extra burst on big GS attacks. If running wh u don’t need anything else. Personally I find runes of speed a waste

in Ranger

Posted by: Treebeard The Swift.9620

Treebeard The Swift.9620

personally i prefer the ability to fire deeper into a zerg rather than faster. The extra range has saved my life far more times than faster arrows.

in Ranger

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

personally i prefer the ability to fire deeper into a zerg rather than faster. The extra range has saved my life far more times than faster arrows.

You can take them together?

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Ranger

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

You can take them together?

No, you have to take both. Faster arrows are wasted if you don’t have the extra range.
And as he said, he likes to run piercing arrows more than RTW and I agree with him completely. In my mind RTW is both in a traitline where already are too many favorable traits for the LB and too weak for a grandmaster trait.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Because rtw arrows track so well you really don’t need eagle eye. I prefer piercing arrows for spvp due to pet clutter and the trait just improves applied dps.

That being said, eagle eye will give you a ridiculous 1800 range which should be used with rtw otherwise arrows won’t connect. This would be more appropriate for larger more open areas where it’s easier to snipe single targets.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

No Eagle Eye only gives you a +300 range. That gives you a 1500 range. You can never attain 1800. But hey, ANeT, why not give us a normal range of 1500? You do realize that no one can throw grenades further than a long bow I hope. The mechanic is ridiculous where a engineer can attain a 1500 range with “thrown” grenades. Max range for augmented thrown grenades or anything thrown should be 900 – then you can add +300.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Read the Wind is actually very very good. I mean reliable 2k+ hits at 1500+ range is good. Should it be on the LB by default, thats another question entirely.

Survival of the Fittest is godmode.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

No Eagle Eye only gives you a +300 range. That gives you a 1500 range. You can never attain 1800. But hey, ANeT, why not give us a normal range of 1500? You do realize that no one can throw grenades further than a long bow I hope. The mechanic is ridiculous where a engineer can attain a 1500 range with “thrown” grenades. Max range for augmented thrown grenades or anything thrown should be 900 – then you can add +300.

No, 1800 range is how far you can fire the longbow from before you get “out of range” 1500 is how far you can have auto attack enabled. This has been tested since beta and the data has been all towards it being 1800 range, NOT 1500 range.

This is why LB is THE long range weapon, sure, engineer gets to 1500 range but at that range the whole advantage that Nades have are gone because the projectiles spread as they fly IE: at 1500 you don’t hit kitten unless you’re pelting a Zerg.

@ Other People: you think you need RTW for landing your arrows from 1500 in WvW? 95% of zerglings are stupid and don’t move back and forth, and 4% of them do so poorly and get hit anyways. Not to mention if you’re not running Piercing Arrows and you’re not on an elevated plane you won’t be hitting your target if it’s a Zerg, I 100% guarantee that someone in the front/middle line will accidentally intercept that arrow for you.

EE + PA = spray and pray, higher risk, higher reward (a LOT more damage, less chance to hit at far range).

EE + RTW = sniper, accurate long range high damage on one target

RTW + PA = Rail Gun, nearly undodgeable piercing attacks from a long range (although not AS long of a range)

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Oh yes, 1200-1500 granade throwing is just OP.
~900 would be okay I think.
And once we have 1500 base range on LB, they can give us GM trait for ROF increase, or even better, add ROF increase to the Read of the Wind…
+ Warriors could get the 1000-1200 base range on LB – meanwhile they get the nerfs that doesn’t seems comming at all.

But anyway, our DMG… Thieves can still 2 hit, I don’t see mutch change in WWW other than ~1k less numbers and my gear heavy nerfed… (Divinity Runes kittened up again, was +18% crit dmg, then became +12%, now its +5.8%… had to equip +5% DMG sigils on both LB/GS to keep a dmg that counts…mostly…they outheal LOL…kitten that!!!!!!!!)
What made a difference is the no repair cost, so people rampage and lost their survivality thinking…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Rtw should definitely be on bows by default, at the very least it should be rolled into something like eagle eye to give that trait line more room to breath.

in Ranger

Heibi.4251

No, 1800 range is how far you can fire the longbow from before you get “out of range” 1500 is how far you can have auto attack enabled. This has been tested since beta and the data has been all towards it being 1800 range, NOT 1500 range.

This is why LB is THE long range weapon, sure, engineer gets to 1500 range but at that range the whole advantage that Nades have are gone because the projectiles spread as they fly IE: at 1500 you don’t hit kitten unless you’re pelting a Zerg.

No it is still 1500, documented 100%. Just read the skills(1200+300 if traited = 1500). 1800 might be, but how do you truly measure distance in the game. You can’t pull out a measuring tape. I can’t target my Barrage beyond the documented range(the circle turns red can’t be used). You might get beyond 1500 on direct fire but there’s no true way to be certain. I can run behind someone firing my bow and I’ll get the “out of range” message as my arrows fly after him/her. Once I get close enough and start hitting I’m in range.

(edited by Heibi.4251)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

No it is still 1500, documented 100%. Just read the skills(1200+300 if traited = 1500). 1800 might be, but how do you truly measure distance in the game. You can’t pull out a measuring tape. I can’t target my Barrage beyond the documented range(the circle turns red can’t be used). You might get beyond 1500 on direct fire but there’s no true way to be certain. I can run behind someone firing my bow and I’ll get the “out of range” message as my arrows fly after him/her. Once I get close enough and start hitting I’m in range.

well you can dodge roll backwards like everyone else does since dodge roll moves you 300 units…

And again, the tooltip is wrong, arrows don’t despawn as soon as they reach their “max range” which is why you can hit at 1800 with EE, if you don’t believe me go kittening check it out for yourself, go up to the heavy golems, roll backwards 6 times and shoot, you’ll land your attack and deal damage every time, the only thing you can’t use at that range is barrage.

in Ranger

Heibi.4251

well you can dodge roll backwards like everyone else does since dodge roll moves you 300 units…

And again, the tooltip is wrong, arrows don’t despawn as soon as they reach their “max range” which is why you can hit at 1800 with EE, if you don’t believe me go kittening check it out for yourself, go up to the heavy golems, roll backwards 6 times and shoot, you’ll land your attack and deal damage every time, the only thing you can’t use at that range is barrage.

Thus, max range is 1500 if you can’t use barrage past it. The rest is residual distance that can’t be accounted for and is just plain luck. And if you can hit beyond 1500, technically that should be corrected by ANeT, since the stated range is 1500 max if you are traited for it.

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

1500 range is really THE basic for LB. Under that you fail to hit targets on keep walls and can’t catch anyone anyway. They outrun us, hell, even a warrior goes as fast as an F1/Nascar racecar, just look at them.

So what rangers needs? A total rebalance.
Will they do? Not likely, they HATE US.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Oh I didn’t mean the immobilize. That is removed right away or you wouldn’t roll away. I’m talking about the condi’s that the new NM trait, Survival of the Fittest, removes when you activate a survival skill. It seems to remove those 2 at the end of the roll instead of when I activate the skill.

I think LF works like that so you effectively cleanses 3 conditions, immob first then another 2 conditions with SotF trait.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Thus, max range is 1500 if you can’t use barrage past it. The rest is residual distance that can’t be accounted for and is just plain luck. And if you can hit beyond 1500, technically that should be corrected by ANeT, since the stated range is 1500 max if you are traited for it.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guarantee no one other than you is going to be standing at 1500 range to shoot with a longbow when they can very easily just stand at 1800 range for no penalty other than not being able to use barrage ONTOP of the target ( you can still hit them with the far end of the circle)

PS: It’s also not luck since literally every arrow will land with a “hit” unless it’s obstructed or dodged, blocked etc as long as you’re between 1 and 1800 range.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

So much fail in this thread. Just go to mists and take 10 mins to test things out before crying on the forums.

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Read the Wind is excellent for longbow. I tried it and am really enjoying it. “dodge this”

I am however of opinion that either Read the Wind, Eagle Eye or Piercing Arrows should be default behavior. The competition is rather high on Marksmanship and rather non-existing on Skirmishing.

Oh no, the horrors… you need to choose between traits, the kittening horrors…

@ everyone complaining about our Grand Master Traits, you’ve clearly haven’t used them yet, they’re all awesome, RTW makes our arrows impossible to side step and it’s absolutely glorious, it’s like using a gun!

Not to mention Poison Master, Survival of the Fittest and Invigorating Bound may be the greatest things since sliced bread, I mean sure we’ve got scum bag striders defense over there in the skirmishing tree being “meh” but as for all the others they’re all amazing.

Poison master also affect pet abilities. Tested it earlier.

Just sayin.

Both of you need to get with the program. Don’t you read these forums? Apparently you don’t since everyone says this patch was a massive nerf to the Ranger class….and a major boost to every other class.

Positive outlooks aren’t welcome here !

This forums only reasonings to why we got shafted is “I want read the wind base line!” And “poison master isn’t a damage boost because poison increasing in damage isn’t as good as if bleed increased in damage.” Aka very bad, arguments, from likely bad rangers.

If anything we got buffed THE MOST out of every single other profession because our pets now work.

You tie in the grand master traits (which are all amazing with the exception of Striders defense) and there’s no way anyone got as big of improvements as us. Not to mention we benefit from the sigil and rune changes greatly and because of how they work and our inherent versatility got a surge of roles opening up from a change not even targeting us specifically.

And before some idiot says, “but Durz warriors got those too!” Warriors don’t have easy access to every condi minus confusion, blind, and torment, warriors don’t have 100% uptime with 3 (arguably 4 with sword/dagger as an option) of their weapons due to being ranged, warriors don’t have nearly as much SUSTAINED damage as us, etc.

A ranger going for damage went from pretty scary, to absolutely horrifying in one patch, a GOOD ranger is capable of just out controlling, and out damaging people now due to these pet changes.

You mean your pet works…

Needing to hit the F2 key six times to make it proc isn’t fixed. Sorry.

Have you played since the patch hit? Me, Jcbroe, Prysin, Bri, Chopps and several other rangers have not had this issue and have all been enjoying our F2s going off when you hit the button.

Either you have some horrible latency, or you’re just speaking out your kitten .

It doesn’t have a thing to do with latency.

My pets either do one of three things when I hit the f2 or attack button:

1. f2 goes off after its casting time

2. f2 doesn’t go off ever – not even moving when clicked with a mouse OR the f2 key

3. They don’t attack or don’t attack the targeted enemy.

Pets are far from working in some accounts, and apparently it is some accounts since many have the same issues, all with screenshots galore.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

As a PvE only power/crit might stacking ranger, running mainly sword/xx, I have no interest in any of these new traits. I happened to unlock one them for a trait line I have zero points in when I did the Karka Queen the other day. I certainly have no intention of wasting gold to buy crap I will never use.

As for the new ranger traits being the greatest things ever, check out Revealed Training in the Thief Deadly Arts line. It will make you cry …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Hint; there is no way to prove with a screenshot that F2 did not work. Screens show a split second moment, while the pet command execution (F1, F2, F3) takes 1-3 seconds depending on the command and F2 skill.

Remember that ANY pet action follows the same pattern;
Function Request sent to server (any pet command)
- If no packet loss –
Server validates request, ques action and replies with the adequate cooldown for that command request
- if no packet loss -
Pet does as you say

What causes packet loss?
High server load
Hardware issues on the network provider(s) side. This can range from cables to routers and switches out in the entire global network.
Router issues on the users side (the ranger player)
NAT issues (issues with firewall, causing traffic to be interrupted without reason)
CPU/Cache lag – high computer load

And depending on where you live, some data-transfer is done via satellite connection because that area may or may not be connected by sub-sea cables or fiber optic ground cables. Satellite connections can be affected by weather, temperature, distance, signal strength and other things.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Read the Wind is excellent for longbow. I tried it and am really enjoying it. “dodge this”

I am however of opinion that either Read the Wind, Eagle Eye or Piercing Arrows should be default behavior. The competition is rather high on Marksmanship and rather non-existing on Skirmishing.

Oh no, the horrors… you need to choose between traits, the kittening horrors…

@ everyone complaining about our Grand Master Traits, you’ve clearly haven’t used them yet, they’re all awesome, RTW makes our arrows impossible to side step and it’s absolutely glorious, it’s like using a gun!

Not to mention Poison Master, Survival of the Fittest and Invigorating Bound may be the greatest things since sliced bread, I mean sure we’ve got scum bag striders defense over there in the skirmishing tree being “meh” but as for all the others they’re all amazing.

So… now LB shoots like rifle after traiting a grandmaster trait… So what?
I do not fear warrior’s rifle in the first place, now I have to fear longbow just because it works like rifle now? Those attacks, especially 2, are so predictable and pop up damage too slow, that one dodge will avoid half of the damage already, or I can just pop my invincible, block, etc. I see no-way I’m gonna fear LB just because I cant side step it anymore.

For poison master, it’s pretty garbage because +50% damage in poison net you one extra layer of bleeding. Plus ranger is not the best class to stack poison in the first place, Eng, Nec, Thief all do this better. If you look at Guardian’s trait, it adds 33% damage to burning, so if your burning does 700 damage, now it goes up to 931 damage, which equals to about 2 layers of bleeding.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Lb does much more sustained damage than the rifle, and fires at up to +500 range.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Lb does much more sustained damage than the rifle at up to +500 range.

That’s because the Rifle has much higher burst. DPS between the 2 weapons is likely very similar, but that’s only a guess. I didn’t run a full rotation test on the rifle. Only the longbow.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Lb does much more sustained damage than the rifle at up to +500 range.

That’s because the Rifle has much higher burst. DPS between the 2 weapons is likely very similar, but that’s only a guess. I didn’t run a full rotation test on the rifle. Only the longbow.

look at any zerker LB warrior YT video. Their AA does roughly 2.5-3k at max range. LB AA will do roughly 3-5k at the same range.
It has to do with the amount of “boosters” available to the warrior rifle. Which is few compared to LB, very few.
Rifle for warrior is a weapon you use “for da lulz”. Not for efficiency.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

… and invigoratong bond (Beastmaster new trait) is broken….. Being punished for being beastmaster – again… cries a bit
(the trait does – nothing)

Kima & Co

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

… and invigoratong bond (Beastmaster new trait) is broken….. Being punished for being beastmaster – again… cries a bit
(the trait does – nothing)

No, the trait works, i’ve been using it off and on since the day it came out and i’ve yet to see it not work while it was off CD.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

confirmed it works perfectly