Legendary Bows - Awful

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: tolkien.6317

tolkien.6317

I don’t know who thought shooting rainbows with unicorn heads and shooting flowers was a good idea, and synced in any way with the fantasy of playing a Ranger class, but they should be reprimanded, and relieved of any authority until they redeem themselves with some decent ideas. These things are like sarcastic jokes proposed by people to lighten the mood at a long and difficult design meeting, and yet they actually made it into the game!

What the heck is happening to the games industry. It’s filling up with people who have no taste or sense of consistency and aesthetic tone at all…

(edited by tolkien.6317)

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: capuchinseven.8395

capuchinseven.8395

I agree actually, your last line.

I’m sure someone will defend this with “omg get r teh sense of humor”, but I agree with you.

The bravest animal in the land is Captain Beaky and his band.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Krugan.7901

Krugan.7901

They should make joke weapons (legendary tier) and real legendary weapons, like Soul Calibur in which you can use a giant squid instead of a greatsword.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

That’s the biggest problem I have with Legendaries in general(apart from Precursors. Grrr…)

There are two categories:

1) Joke Legendaries, like the Dreamer and the Moot.

2) Cool Legendaries, like Twilight and Frostfang.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

tolkien.6317

They should make joke weapons (legendary tier) and real legendary weapons, like Soul Calibur in which you can use a giant squid instead of a greatsword.

The problem with all joke items (and pop culture references BTW) is that they take much more from your world than they give. Things like that reduce the effect of all the great artwork, sound, aesthetics, and design work that go into making a world a world. It’s an enormous, multi-million dollar, many talented effort, and you go and reduce and undermine all that work with cheap, cheesy powderpuff nonsense? Why?

It’s bipolar design, and I’ve never understood it. But then I think the people who do it don’t understand what they are doing either…

(edited by tolkien.6317)

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I agree with The Dreamer, but I really like Kudzu, it isn’t “cool” like the GS and the axe but it isn’t a joke weapon, for a longbow it looks great and have a cool effect.
The idea of make joke legendaries and “cool” legendaries separated skins is nice, I would be ok with that.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

tolkien.6317

Apart from the shooting flowers thing (which is awful), I agree Kudzu is pretty cool. The flowers kill it for me though.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

This is a common complaint although note that a lot of people love Kudzu and it’s also in very high demand on the trading post—and that happened after ANET buffed the way the unicorn looks when shot. Rumor has it that more lore based legendaries, like flameseeker prophecies, but we’ll have to wait and see. For me, it doesn’t take away from the universe because a lot of woman I know, and some men (though not as much) really like the cuteness of Kudzu.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: NEOS.9206

NEOS.9206

Apart from the shooting flowers thing (which is awful), I agree Kudzu is pretty cool. The flowers kill it for me though.

But Kudzu shoots golden arrows…

http://media-ascalon.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/13/634867718501544438.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SR0eW.jpg

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

tolkien.6317

This is a common complaint although note that a lot of people love Kudzu and it’s also in very high demand on the trading post—and that happened after ANET buffed the way the unicorn looks when shot. Rumor has it that more lore based legendaries, like flameseeker prophecies, but we’ll have to wait and see. For me, it doesn’t take away from the universe because a lot of woman I know, and some men (though not as much) really like the cuteness of Kudzu.

As I said though, it does violence to the tone of the world (The Dreamer; Kudzu is almost great). I’ve learned though that people either get it, or they don’t. The first time a Harley appeared in Dalaran in WoW for example, was the beginning of the end for those of us who cared about the game as it was when it launched.

If you want things like The Dreamer, build the entire world that way. In this game it’s terribly out of place and the art lead should know that (though perhaps the lead argued against it and was overruled by a witless producer/exec – we’ll never know).

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

tolkien.6317

But Kudzu shoots golden arrows…

http://media-ascalon.cursecdn.com/attachments/2/13/634867718501544438.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SR0eW.jpg

I stand corrected. That isn’t as bad then (though the flowers on the bow itself are too much IMO – not totally tone breaking like The Dreamer though). Thanks for the pic link!

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: NEOS.9206

NEOS.9206

I like the flowers..
My Kudzu is almost done.

The only thing that is a bit annoying is the golden spear but no big deal..

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

That’s the biggest problem I have with Legendaries in general(apart from Precursors. Grrr…)

Is that really a problem, though?

I mean, right now, both people who like things deadly serious and super-kewl have a number of legendaries they can get, and people who like things a bit ridiculous and silly have a number that they can get.

Neither side is in any way punished in performance, because Legendaries are merely Exotics, performance-wise. So if you don’t like the Pony or Flower bows (and the latter is actually pretty cool and not something I would call a “joke”, myself), you can just use an Exotic bow or if you want a fancy look, a bow crafted in the Mystic Forge (and most of the Mystic Forge stuff looks pretty SRS BSNS).

I mean, the key thing is, no-one is ever forcing you to get a Legendary. If you love Short Bow, want a Legendary, but hate the Dreamer, well, yeah, you’re out of luck, but that’s not exactly a huge proportion of players. If I wanted a longsword that looked epic and brilliant, rather than like a bizarre lightning contraption I’d be out of luck too, even you would presumably call that “cool” and not a “joke”.

No doubt we will see more Legendaries eventually, but for now, if this is even a “problem”, then it’s at #1723 on the list of problems you have.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

The first time a Harley appeared in Dalaran in WoW for example, was the beginning of the end for those of us who cared about the game as it was when it launched.

Nope. For people who cared about the Lore, the end began with TBC. By the time of WotLK, there was so much silly nonsense in the game that the Harley was merely a footnote.

The Dreamer is nowhere near as ridiculous as the Harley was, either. Nor as ubiquitous. One typically sees it every few days at most. The Harleys were pretty much everywhere about a week after they came into the game.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

tolkien.6317

You missed the point about world tone… but like I said, not everyone gets it.

Either way, they need some serious + less girly Legendary bows.

Re. TBC, it wasn’t that bad IMO. It was the thin edge of the wedge though. The gameplay issues it introduced are another topic. World tone was maintained pretty much (though there was always a bit of cringe-worthy silliness, even at launch).

(edited by tolkien.6317)

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Oglaf.1074

Is that really a problem, though?

Yes.

Why should people who like Mace be “punished” by a stupid Legendary choice, while those who like Greatswords get an epic-looking and “cool” Legendary?

Do you even lift, bro?

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: THEmeltor.7295

THEmeltor.7295

I dont think either of the legendary greatswords look cool at all (and most legendaries in general I don’t think look that great), so I don’t really have a problem with the legendaries. They are only for bragging-rights, basically….a status symbol.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

What’s so fantastic about firing regular arrows or arrows on fire, where else do you get deadly flying plants and unicorns?

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

tolkien.6317

What’s so fantastic about firing regular arrows or arrows on fire, where else do you get deadly flying plants and unicorns?

In the Wizard of Oz, or Hello Kitty Online, or My Little Pony MMO…, and I guess now Guild Wars 2 as well.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

I see complaints about the dreamer more often than I see the dreamer itself. Of the two, one is substantially more annoying than the other.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

So, the only “right” legendary is black, burning <weapon type> of doooooom, that shoots acid and has fangs, thorns etc?
I’m male (and rather “manly” one in matters of look). I have Kudzu and I think it’s beautiful. Exactly this word. When you have it in hands, there are little orbs (or leaves? Not sure) flying from it, like with the wind. It’s just pretty. Not crappy, plastic, gigantic weapon that looks like toy.
About projectiles: they are gold and have unique sound. After shoot, there is something, like petals, falling from the way where arrow flied.
Btw. what’s wrong with flowers? Plant is plant. I don’t see ppl hating on sylvari…
Sometimes I wonder, why don’t ppl eat hamsters alive and kill kittens, just becausethey are too “cute and girly” for them.

On the other hand I have to agree on The Dreamer – as much as I like skin, I couldn’t stand shooting unicorns.

(edited by Terkov.4138)

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

At least we’re not shooting confetti out of a clown gun, but I agree that shooting unicorns with the Dreamer is a bit too much.

I really like Kudzu though, it’s beautiful and actually shoots (golden) arrows.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

No all gamer are guys or butch girls. My girl is kind of a princess and she likes the dreamer but I dout she will ever get one. Being she isnt really goal oriented and unless she stock piles enough gold to just buy one she wont put in the effort.

But I dont think all weapons need to appeal to guys and need something for the few real girlly females in the game like the dreamer and the kudzu.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Silver.4798

Silver.4798

I agree with how ridiculous both the bows look but it’s also clear there is a lot of detail and love poured into making those bows, they really do look quite nice.

Contrast: the legendary pistol “Quip.”

Like, seriously… are you kidding me? Shooting bubbles and confetti?! You expect me to bust my behind to get the mats necessary to make… that…?

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: achensherd.2735

achensherd.2735

Not that I’m anywhere close to getting a legendary, but if I were, and it had to be between Kudzu and the Dreamer, I’d probably go for the Dreamer because:

1. Kudzu wouldn’t look “right” on my non-Sylvari character, as beautiful as it is.

2. The Dreamer’s “wrong” enough that it goes with anything.

3. The Dreamer’s a shortbow, so in practical terms it’d see more action with my character than Kudzu would being a longbow.

4. I would probably take far more maniacal pleasure killing my enemies with unicorns and rainbows than golden arrows and flowers.

But that’s just me.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Agreed. those are awfully unattractive designs for bows.

I hope they have better designs coming down the pipe.

I have zero interest in any of the Legendaries aside from Sunrise but there’s no way I’ll get one for the ranger since it’s a waste on that toon because the GS move set is very bland for the ranger.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: achensherd.2735

achensherd.2735

The only legendary that I drool over is the Predator. But nooooo… Rangers can’t use rifles… (sobs).

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Stus.5327

Stus.5327

The only thing I hate about the Kudzu is that stupidly random floating string that makes no sense whatsoever and is only there by a design flaw.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

kudzu is an amazing legendary (apart from that string thing; which i didnt notice before o.o); i would be going for it if i hadnt already planned to get azureflame on my ranger (blue glow sylvari)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

imho, the coolest looking shortbow is the fractal one , which i am using btw

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

The only legendary that I drool over is the Predator. But nooooo… Rangers can’t use rifles… (sobs).

Not gonna lie… I want rangers to use guns just so I can use Quipp =(

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I definitely would like more epic/awesome options for legendary bows, as it stands now you have the hippy flower bow and the brony bow that shoots ponies with horns

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

Both of the legendary bows look like they were designed by bronies, tbh. Not that I have anything against bronies, but its just not my thing. In fact, I really can’t be swayed by 95% of the skins they have for any of the bows. I’m mostly praying that I get the bow drop from fractals.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

im a chick so I dont mind the unicorns and rainbows myself, I just think the dreamer is ok. I really really like Kudzu though, I think it’s beautiful. I’m having a hard time deciding between kudzu and meteorlogicus for my next legendary.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Both of the legendary bows look like they were designed by bronies, tbh. Not that I have anything against bronies, but its just not my thing. In fact, I really can’t be swayed by 95% of the skins they have for any of the bows. I’m mostly praying that I get the bow drop from fractals.

Oh I am so holding out for the fotm bow too, I think it’s amazing and just as good if not better than the legendary options atm.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

tolkien.6317

Like I said, Kudzu is part awesome, part too girly to be the only option. It syncs with the GW2 world though, so I have no complaints about it now I’m more educated on what it does and does not do (cough). Spreading green mossy textures with each footprint is inspired (I’d make them subtly spread out in a “puddle” the longer the character stayed in one spot) but that’s really nice design/art. I may not want it for my male Ranger, but it fits and adds to the rest of the world – master Rangers spreading natural life wherever they touch the world. That is an elegant visual metaphor reinforcing what it means to be a Ranger. Almost too much, but not quite. Nice work IMO.

The Dreamer is awful not because of what it is, but because it is a stylistic deviation from the world ArenaNet spent 5 years building. This is my only point. If I wanted to shoot rainbows and unicorns – or see them being shot – I’d play a game where that fits. In GW2 it’s utterly wrong (and does absolute violence to the fantasy of playing a Ranger class). It’s not about whether it appeals to men or women; it’s about the aesthetic conflict and undermining of an otherwise meticulously established world tone.

This is all context and continuity, something designers are understanding less and less it seems to me, and games are becoming a pizza patchwork of incompatible ideas because of it.

(edited by tolkien.6317)

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Totally agree about the dreamer. Kudzu is a bit niche for a legendary item, true, but it is definitely really nice. It’s got a really nice nature theme, and many effects. Footfalls, nature noises when shot, projectile change to light arrows that drop flower petals mid flight, a model that has a subtle on and off glow, foliage sprouting on enemies when you hit them, change in particle effect of downed skills, all fitting a nice nature theme that goes well with the ranger.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: KStudios.2850

KStudios.2850

I actually found this humorous myself. The fact that “The Lover”, prerequisite for “The Dreamer” is in my opinion a far superior bow stat-wise.

Yumiko Togashii
Commander to [SLVR], Housepet to [GH]

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

tolkien.6317

Oh good grief – “The Lover”, “The Dreamer”, and me – from the Kermit the Frog song Rainbow Connection, which explains the ridiculous rainbow effect. Gaggingly cheesy and corny.

This is what passes for “clever” amongst designers nowadays. Pop culture references to The Muppets. GG.

(edited by tolkien.6317)

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

Did you just now get that? Sorry for bubble bursting, lol.

Yumiko Togashii

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

tolkien.6317

Yes, I didn’t know the precursor was called The Lover. It’s perfectly apt though, and underscores my point. When the game you are playing starts drawing upon muppetry for inspiration, you better be prepared for it to devolve toward eight-year-old aesthetics.

Argh.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: firebreathz.7692

firebreathz.7692

So, the only “right” legendary is black, burning <weapon type> of doooooom, that shoots acid and has fangs, thorns etc?
I’m male (and rather “manly” one in matters of look). I have Kudzu and I think it’s beautiful. Exactly this word. When you have it in hands, there are little orbs (or leaves? Not sure) flying from it, like with the wind. It’s just pretty. Not crappy, plastic, gigantic weapon that looks like toy.
About projectiles: they are gold and have unique sound. After shoot, there is something, like petals, falling from the way where arrow flied.
Btw. what’s wrong with flowers? Plant is plant. I don’t see ppl hating on sylvari…
Sometimes I wonder, why don’t ppl eat hamsters alive and kill kittens, just becausethey are too “cute and girly” for them.

On the other hand I have to agree on The Dreamer – as much as I like skin, I couldn’t stand shooting unicorns.

“So, the only “right” legendary is black, burning <weapon type> of doooooom, that shoots acid and has fangs, thorns etc?"

try reversing what you said and thats what we have now…

So, the only “right” legendary is flowery, girly weapon type that shoots unicorns ect..

im fine with the look of the bows
im fine with the bows
they are there to accommodate for the feminine/peaceful look that people like

we just ask for the same option for the masculine doom weapon types we like..

instead of one or the other.. why not both..

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

Yes, I didn’t know the precursor was called The Lover. It’s perfectly apt though, and underscores my point. When the game you are playing starts drawing upon muppetry for inspiration, you better be prepared for it to devolve toward eight-year-old aesthetics.

Argh.

It actually makes sense to me that they’d make reference to a song sung by Kermit the Frog. In the original Guild Wars, frogs seemed almost a small obsession of the Mods. Many of the Mods had small, hopping, talking frog avatars in which they used when appearing “in world” and interacting with the player masses.

But I digress…

Yumiko Togashii

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Kudzu is hardly a ‘joke’ legendary, it’s a perfect match for my Sylvari ranger and I wouldn’t consider any other option. Nature sprouting at my footsteps is exactly what my ranger represents to me.

The Dreamer doesn’t bother me at all either, to be honest. It only seems fair for Anet to cater to the minority of players that might prefer rainbows and unicorns to steel and flame, and cuteness aside the effect looks awesome. If it shot flaming rockdogs instead of rainbow unicorns everyone would want one.

Anyway, hopefully they’ll be releasing new legendaries soon so we can have multiple options per weapon type.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Semil.8279

Semil.8279

I would prefer it if I could at least turn the effects off when using the Dreamer. I can imagine that it would get very irritating to see it all the time, but shooting a dragon in the hindquarters with my deadly unicorn spam…I might just set autoattack and laugh myself silly.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Oglaf.1074

It only seems fair for Anet to cater to the minority of players that might prefer rainbows and unicorns to steel and flame, and cuteness aside the effect looks awesome.

The problem is that then they should’ve given the option to do so with all weapon types. Not just doom a few like Shortbow and Mace into being the “joke Legendaries”. Warriors who like Mace are forever going to look on people with the other Legendaries in envy.

Do you even lift, bro?

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Also, another point about Kudzu… Look up what the plant is in real life, and then realize that the bow symbolizes the overflowing domination of nature when you wield it. Sure, it’s flowery, but it’s also really beautiful and manly in a certain way. It’s the pinnacle of what the ranger should be: An agent of nature.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

More direct to the topic, though. I DEFINITELY agree, please, please, please split legendaries into categories of “joke” and “serious”. I dunno about everyone else, but I want my legendary weapon to look like, I dunno, a weapon? One that doesn’t take away from the beautifully crafted and immersive game world. That’s why I got the Juggernaut.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Zerowolf.2097

Zerowolf.2097

It would be cool if ANet would allow you to change weapon effects by equipping other ascended or legendary items. For Kudzu, if you equip an ascended quiver you should be able to shoot different arrows. What I would really like to see in this game are just plain armors that I could transmute my high end gear to. I would love for my warrior to just have a dented up breastplate with leather armor underneath, something that makes him look like a mercenary who has been fighting for 20 years and not the guardian of the light bright kingdom or the plaything of some femdom palace.

Legendary Bows - Awful

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

It only seems fair for Anet to cater to the minority of players that might prefer rainbows and unicorns to steel and flame, and cuteness aside the effect looks awesome.

The problem is that then they should’ve given the option to do so with all weapon types. Not just doom a few like Shortbow and Mace into being the “joke Legendaries”. Warriors who like Mace are forever going to look on people with the other Legendaries in envy.

Oh I totally agree with that, but as they decided to kick the game off with only 1 legendary per weapon type this was inevitable. It doesn’t bother me though because you don’t get any advantage from a legendary in terms of stats, so you aren’t forced to equip an item you don’t like. There are plenty of cool looking exotics with the same stats.

Anyway, I’d rather they focused on all the various bugs and issues with the classes before worrying about legendaries and other fruitiness. Frankly I’d get more out of permanent pet names than new weapons and friggin quaggan backpacks.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -