Legendary Greatsword... Ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Welswift.9813

Welswift.9813

Hello! I am beginning the long journey to a legendary, and as I looked at the legendary weapons, well I found that I only really liked the Greatswords. Would getting a greatsword on a ranger be a complete waste? Would it just be stupid to not put it on a different class? Please tell me, as this will affect me for many, many hours.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

Getting a legendary great-sword on a ranger is REALLY not smart… or any legendary for that matter.

But follow what the heart wants

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

in Ranger

Welswift.9813

You really have that little faith in rangers? It cant be THAT bad.

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

You should get a legendary greatsword, just to piss off all the warriors and guardians. Ah, can you imagine them staring at you with frustration, whispering to one another why the hell a ranger gets to run around with a legendary greatsword?

in Ranger

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

its that bad, they worst class in WvW and PvP.
and Anet doesnt seem to be in any hurry to fix them, or for that matter fix it at all. 3 weeks and no update.
face facts, ranger’s doomed.
Anet is to focused on its favored class warrior. (which is the only class i’ve seen their GMs play)

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

in Ranger

Welswift.9813

So… abandon the coolest class in-game until they buff Rangers? Sounds pretty sad to me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Volundarhus.7815

Volundarhus.7815

I will one day have a legendary greatsword in the hands of my ranger, on that day I will sit down to a meal of Dolyak cheesecake and pour ale on the ice in Hoelbrak.

Dragonbrand – Dumaresq
Loch Ness Monster (nnnf)

in Ranger

Welswift.9813

And I am not bad in sPvP by the way, in fact I am having a blast.

in Ranger

Welswift.9813

Is that your way of trying to say you don’t give a —-- Volundarhus?

in Ranger

Posted by: Volundarhus.7815

Volundarhus.7815

The greatsword is just ‘fun’ to use. You’re also entirely correct that the greatswords look amazing.

If you think it is a waste of time then you will not sit with me one day, eating Dolyak cheesecake and pouring ale on the ice in Hoelbrak.

Play all of the greatsword classes for a time, see which one suits you, go with it.

I love to use QZ on the longbow vulnerability, rapidfire, swoop in and maul while my ravens swap for f2’s and more quickness. Hacking away merrily for one more maul and a swap back to LB for more vulnerability and rapid fire.

I just like how it all looks and works, the damage is great and applied quickly, oh and what was that? right, I find it fun

Dragonbrand – Dumaresq
Loch Ness Monster (nnnf)

in Ranger

Welswift.9813

So you wouldn’t consider it a waste? Thanks! I will ofcourse experiment with other classes, but rangers just feel… right. Thank you all forum goers who are fighting viciously for us, and I thank you guys for it. I am not trying to ruin your campaign, but I love my ranger. So keep fighting, but I won’t abandon my favorite class.

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

The greatsword is just ‘fun’ to use. You’re also entirely correct that the greatswords look amazing.

If you think it is a waste of time then you will not sit with me one day, eating Dolyak cheesecake and pouring ale on the ice in Hoelbrak.

Play all of the greatsword classes for a time, see which one suits you, go with it.

I love to use QZ on the longbow vulnerability, rapidfire, swoop in and maul while my ravens swap for f2’s and more quickness. Hacking away merrily for one more maul and a swap back to LB for more vulnerability and rapid fire.

I just like how it all looks and works, the damage is great and applied quickly, oh and what was that? right, I find it fun

I share your sentiment. Running with a Greatsword+Axe/Axe over here. Never had this much fun in my entire GW2 career.

in Ranger

Welswift.9813

I will sit with you one day Volundarhus, eating Dolyak cheesecake and pouring ale on the ice in Hoelbrak.

in Ranger

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

Personally, I would go for the short bow but the great sword is cool too. I wonder what swoop looks like with twilight. Probably not better than death by rainbow.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

I want to one day have eternity for my ranger. Just to piss off the warriors and guardians. I also like my greatsword. I got turned on to using it when I got the Greatsaw at halloween. I could have sold it but… pissing off warriors and guardians.

I also want the shortbow though because rainbow pew-pew is just too funny.

in Ranger

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

Why would this piss any other class off? It effects them in no way, they can get it just the same as us.

It’s not like WoW where some class <Hunter?> is running around with a GS they stole lol, our GS is very viable and if we chose to use one I fail to see anyone becoming upset over it…

in Ranger

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

If you’ve played a ranger long enough to get a legendary weapon, chances are you play ranger enough that you should put the greatsword on your ranger, regardless of being underpowered.

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Lol!
LB/GS is my favorite solo PvE map exploration and mat farming weapons set up.

I really like following around a Guardian or Warrior in maps, and whipping out my GS to swoop in and begin wailing away. They usually stop and do a wtf??
Hilarious stuff !

PS This is just with a ‘normal’ GS, nothing fancy, so a legendary would gobsmack them..

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

(edited by bri.2359)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fabled Sheep.4725

Fabled Sheep.4725

Getting a legendary GS for your Ranger would be awesome. /bow to you if you decide to go down that long road, and then achieve it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pewienpan.5168

Pewienpan.5168

Well, for ranger the only resonable choice for the first legendary is bow (long bow imo).
And since Dev are gonna make more skins for the legendaries (and I also heard that you will be able to change the skin if you already got your legendary) I wouldn’t make the greatsword. People don’t wanna bow legendaries just because they look like leaves.

IMO you should start gathering resources you need for all legendaries, and then think about what to get.

Celestial scrubs, just die already…

in Ranger

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

My favorite Ranger set is Axe/Torch, and I really love the combination of both legendaries, one covering your right arm with Ice, the other covering your left arm with fire, and both being dragon heads moving their mouths.

Of course it would be really expensive to get 2 legendaries only for that Ice/Fire look, but I think it would look cool :P

I think the legendary GreatSwords look better on other professions.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

My favorite Ranger set is Axe/Torch, and I really love the combination of both legendaries, one covering your right arm with Ice, the other covering your left arm with fire, and both being dragon heads moving their mouths.

Of course it would be really expensive to get 2 legendaries only for that Ice/Fire look, but I think it would look cool :P

I think the legendary GreatSwords look better on other professions.

If you achieve this some time take a picture of it and place it on the forums, i would LOVE to see that!!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

its that bad, they worst class in WvW and PvP.
and Anet doesnt seem to be in any hurry to fix them, or for that matter fix it at all. 3 weeks and no update.
face facts, ranger’s doomed.
Anet is to focused on its favored class warrior. (which is the only class i’ve seen their GMs play)

This is the most ridiculous thing…
1. If you wanna put your money with your mouth is 1 on 1 with me anytime. The ranger doesn’t need much fixing (spirits aside). I actually think warrior is worst PvP class has no survivability.
2. I have seen many GMs. They aren’t biased toward professions from what I have seen.

As for the Greatsword guy!. DO IT! Granted the greatsword isn’t great (imo). I would LOVE to have eternity on my ranger. Killing warriors and guardians in WvW would be so much sweeter with it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ranger Greatsword is my favorite weapon. It’s a great PVE/Dungeon defensive weapon. And frankly the funnest weapon rangers have. Go for it, that’s what i’m doing. (sunrise)

Also, don’t let people get you thinking rangers are ALL about bows. They’re not.

Greatsword is really only bad in PVP, but even still, it’s great for most everything PVE related besides single target damage. Sharpening stone+Maul+Entangle is a great way to spread mass AoE bleeds with a GS.

(edited by Ryoki Hokishami.2756)

in Ranger

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Keep in mind the ranger is still a very playable class. Infact with soldier inscriptions the ranger becomes a very viable melee choice that can deal a lot of damage without being killed by most dungeon bosses too quickly.

The main reason the ranger community’s morale is so broken is the fact that not one patch since launch has done much for rangers. We’ve had so many issues from day one that still exist and every time we read new patch notes the ranger section while small in itself, is even smaller on meaningful changes. (Though the GS skill 4 buff was super nice)

If more bugs were fixed and if many of the slot skills and traits (namely in the marksmanship and skirmishing line) were more game changing and less “I’ll pick this one because it seems like the only one that might do some good sometimes”

In most PuGs my ranger is both the highest DPS and most able to stay alive in melee range.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Keep in mind the ranger is still a very playable class. Infact with soldier inscriptions the ranger becomes a very viable melee choice that can deal a lot of damage without being killed by most dungeon bosses too quickly.

In most PuGs my ranger is both the highest DPS and most able to stay alive in melee range.

This guy. This guy gets it. I melee most everything in a dungeon, barring bosses where non-ranged combat is simply unadvisable.

With toughness and/or vitality, Rangers are extremely survivable, especially with GS’s evade/block/daze and Sword’s two dodges (With the reduced cooldown on sword skills, Serpent’s strike is an excellent dodge). On top of that, you have a pet that takes some aggro off you, and a signet that when traited right, gives you a panic button.

The only thing that bothers me about Rangers and melee is the fact that I no longer can be a thumper like in GW1 (use a hammer).

in Ranger

Posted by: GeoX.5046

GeoX.5046

Its a good idea im gana get one too
any one who says ranger is under powder, is an idiot .-. … a bit lackluster and buggy at times but not under powered
A greatsword ranger in my mind is among the best to use in spvp and WvW roaming.

in Ranger

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

I have had Twilight in mind long before the GS buffs, so yeh, go for it! They look bad kitten and most important, they’re a lot of fun ^^

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9132

Razor.9132

If I were you, I’d go with Kudzu instead. Legendary greatswords get old really fast, plus Kudzu fits a ranger perfectly.

Also I, personally, can’t imagine liking current legendary greatswords on a ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

If you like playing a GS ranger then go for it!! Getting a legendary takes an enormous amount of time and effort, simply getting that far with any given profession is more than enough proof that it’s the right legendary for you.

@GEOX…

Its a good idea im gana get one too
any one who says ranger is under powder, is an idiot .-. … a bit lackluster and buggy at times but not under powered
A greatsword ranger in my mind is among the best to use in spvp and WvW roaming.

I’d say that opponents being able to strafe away from arrows and pets being unable to hit moving targets makes us “under powder”, yes. Are you suggesting that Anet shouldn’t fix these issues, lest we become overpowered? Bugs and broken game mechanics clearly prevent us from being able to do Anet’s intended levels of damage for the class in PvP, so I think one could be excused for calling a ranger underpowered without being dubbed an “idiot”.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Antisceptic.9174

Antisceptic.9174

I saw a Mesmer with Twlilight

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Unfortunately the developers seem intent on GS being a defensive weapon even though it is completely outclassed by Sword/Dagger and even SB, both capable of putting out much more damage too. So I don’t think it will ever be worth using outside of extreme downleveling in low level areas for fun.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

I use it as a backup weapon to longbow in WvW and PvE. Seems a logical secondary for the longbow as I can focus on power and precision without feeling the condition damage loss that I would on axe or sword. In normal PvE, most trash mobs that don’t go down with a quickened longbow 2 will generally drop after I swoop in and maul them. I feel like this is the fastest kill combo with the LB thanks to the amazing range of Swoop, and it also makes looting less frustrating, particularly if you trait Eagle Eye. But yeah, personally I wouldn’t use GS with any other weapon but LB.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

I get a feeling that the fortold ranger class update will have some significant changes for gs. The skills seem like good ideas, just not implemented quite right.

in Ranger

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

Do it. Greatsword rocks on Ranger. Don’t let the whiners tell you otherwise. If they do, tell them to find me. As I will be waiting for them with my greatsword

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9132

Razor.9132

Do it. Greatsword rocks on Ranger. Don’t let the whiners tell you otherwise. If they do, tell them to find me. As I will be waiting for them with my greatsword

So you will tickle us with it, eh?

in Ranger

Posted by: Vecuu.2018

Vecuu.2018

There is nothing wrong with the Greatsword, and I look forward to getting my Sunrise.

Jaded [Jade] – Darkhaven Server
Jaded.boards.net – Your future home

in Ranger

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

So you will tickle us with it, eh?

Quickness + greatsword = evades like craaaaazy. I can stay alive longer which means I can do more damage over time. I win by outlasting my enemies after they played all their cards.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Ranger Greatsword is my favorite weapon. It’s a great PVE/Dungeon defensive weapon. And frankly the funnest weapon rangers have. Go for it, that’s what i’m doing. (sunrise)

Also, don’t let people get you thinking rangers are ALL about bows. They’re not.

Greatsword is really only bad in PVP, but even still, it’s great for most everything PVE related besides single target damage. Sharpening stone+Maul+Entangle is a great way to spread mass AoE bleeds with a GS.

Huh?? GS is the only reliable melee weapon I’ve found in W3 for a non-condition build. Sword/dagger is great but you lose that perma-cripple on thieves when they stealth. GS’s blocks, stuns, reach, and gap-closers are priceless when combating those lil devils.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

Posted by: Sleepy.2647

Sleepy.2647

Huh?? GS is the only reliable melee weapon I’ve found in W3 for a non-condition build. Sword/dagger is great but you lose that perma-cripple on thieves when they stealth. GS’s blocks, stuns, reach, and gap-closers are priceless when combating those lil devils.

I don’t see how you can block, stun, reach or anything when thieves are in stealth. It’s the same situation for both weapons, except GS has a block on “high” cooldown and sword/dagger has multiple evades.

Either way, get the legendary/skin you like, that’s what it is about in the end right?

(edited by Sleepy.2647)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shaeltal Liashavi.7689

Shaeltal Liashavi.7689

I currently am using Sunrise and Sword/Dagger on my Ranger and I absolutely love it. The amount of mobility you have, the free dodges and evades is absolutely incredible. I use both weapon sets and switch liberally in dungeons and Fractals to stay alive.

I highly approve of this =)

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I don’t see how you can block, stun, reach or anything when thieves are in stealth. It’s the same situation for both weapons, except GS has a block on “high” cooldown and sword/dagger has multiple evades.

Either way, get the legendary/skin you like, that’s what it is about in the end right?

Yeah the evades are very nice I’ll admit. The thing I like about the GS vs thieves is if you can manage to block them, you follow right away with a knockback, then can stun/daze, then Maul for a very nice bleed/dmg. Having every third attack on skill 1 be an automatic evade helps too. Oh and the GS reach is a little farther. Traited for the 20% recharge reduction I can high-tail it away if I need to every 9.5 seconds

At any rate, ya I would like to see some better 1H sword legend skins in the future.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

Posted by: AIMonster.8236

AIMonster.8236

Short Answer: Yes, go for it.

Long Answer:

I have a Sunrise on my Ranger. Use Axe/Warhorn as my alternate weapon. Main tank for my group having a Thief use Healing Spring blast heals. Makes those Tier 3 Fractals a joke with constant quickness (5 points Beastmastery pet swaps and Quickening Zephyr) and evasion every 3rd attack as well as massive group healing. GS is the Ranger’s best weapon, but very few Rangers realize it and want to do damage. We currently do the least damage of any profession (except maybe Necro) so it’s pretty pointless to spec glass cannon on a Ranger.

Rangers also make one of the best pushers in WvW with Greatsword and 30 seconds of Stability (Rampage As One + Signet of Hunt) and best healers with Healing Spring (as long as you have a thief or two blasting it).