Let me throw traps. BibleThump

in Ranger

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

So I’ve been playing condi trapper ranger post-specialization patch for a total of… 1 2 3 hour and I’ve got some words.

The damage is ridiculously good. Probably better sustain condi damage than any class in the game can dish out. The problem is that it forces such a vulnerable playstyle for the ranger. Pre-specialization some of that vulnerability was alleviated by the fact that they could throw traps.

… Let me throw traps again. If that means the damage on traps would need to be reduced I’m fine that. Pre-specialization condi ranger was a close range fighter. Now they’re a melee range fighter.

You’re probably thinking at this point, “but dragonhunters will be jelly.” Fine, let them throw traps too. They weren’t such a big hit last BWE anyways.

… I still want tengu.

(edited by Hammerguard.9834)

in Ranger

Hammerguard.9834

PS: Let spirits go on cooldown after initial use. This isn’t GW1. Can’t pull off such a slow type of mechanic anymore.

… I still want tengu.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Spirits active need to proc on death

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Really sad how spirits went from being terrible to being ok-ish to being worse than they started off as.

On topic, I think trappers are fine, they can be very strong. You can still pick up nature magic for protective ward and evasive purity and wilderness survival for a bunch more survivability and condi cleanse through pet.

You also don’t have to go full trapper.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

They should remove the direct damage like they did with thief traps so you don’t get revealed while using them.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Puck.9612

Also if you are using trap runes, pets should kittening stealth when you do.

in Ranger

Hammerguard.9834

I was talking from a PvP perspective. Trapper runes aren’t in sPvP, and I don’t think it should be for trapper ranger to be viable

… I still want tengu.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

I was talking from a PvP perspective. Trapper runes aren’t in sPvP, and I don’t think it should be for trapper ranger to be viable

Ah, it all makes sense now. I think a dev was talking about maybe adding trapper runes to pvp tho.

But then again, we also had a dev talking about adding mainhand dagger instead of fixing sword auto attack

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

can you imagine a thief using trapper runes in pvp? I think that’s why they may not make it into pvp.

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Puck.9612

While I agree being able to throw traps again would be waaaaaay friggin better, traps aren’t terrible in PvP. It helps that you know exactly where people will be standing.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

I’m personally more annoyed by how they couldn’t just leave Healing Spring as it was and still let it benfit from Trapper’s Expertise. The traps themselfes aren’t terrible, Spike Trap and Flame Trap with a third utility skill works fine in PvP, although the Spike Trap cooldown was slightly overdone..

I wouldn’t mind throwing traps, but I can live without it. I do however think the cripple portion of the trapper trait could have been a tad more interesting and impactful. And even if the our new revive trait is good, it sucks that they removed Spike Trap from it as soon as they added the knockdown effect to the skill.

Edit: About trapper runes and pet stealth, pets gaining stealth when the ranger do should be baseline. For obvious reasons…

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

I’m personally more annoyed by how they couldn’t just leave Healing Spring as it was and still let it benfit from Trapper’s Expertise. The traps themselfes aren’t terrible, Spike Trap and Flame Trap with a third utility skill works fine in PvP, although the Spike Trap cooldown was slightly overdone..

I wouldn’t mind throwing traps, but I can live without it. I do however think the cripple portion of the trapper trait could have been a tad more interesting and impactful. And even if the our new revive trait is good, it sucks that they removed Spike Trap from it as soon as they added the knockdown effect to the skill.

Edit: About trapper runes and pet stealth, pets gaining stealth when the ranger do should be baseline. For obvious reasons…

Stealth for the pet when the ranger does should always have been baseline, as should sharing boons.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

… Let me throw traps again.

PS: Let spirits go on cooldown after initial use. This isn’t GW1. Can’t pull off such a slow type of mechanic anymore.

Spirits active need to proc on death

Really sad how spirits went from being terrible to being ok-ish to being worse than they started off as.

Also if you are using trap runes, pets should kittening stealth when you do.

Stealth for the pet when the ranger does should always have been baseline, as should sharing boons.

ANet. Developers. Please. All these things are true. 1=1.

Edit: even better, if spirits are aura’s and not easily killable AI bads…

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

(edited by Raven.9603)

in Ranger

Hammerguard.9834

Honestly, I’m still playing this trapper ranger and I just can’t get over how annoying it is to have to stand inside players bodies to get these stupid things off. I’m so sick of Anet balancing the game without thinking about what’s actually fun. Throwing traps was fun. You threw them into the area you wanted to fight, then jumped in with them for a fun condi arena.

Anet, please. This is a video game.

… I still want tengu.

in Ranger

Hammerguard.9834

Even Healing Spring suddenly becomes better because you can throw it ahead of you to proc it instead of being forced to stand still like it works now. I just don’t understand sometimes…

… I still want tengu.

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Traps are fine the way they are, I run them in WvW and prefer the post 23rd change.

They work solo, they work in small groups, and they work in zergs when timed properly. Borderland maps they excel or areas that confine space. If you are still having issues after the change then maybe it is how you use them – not being a poo head, just saying.

At first I didn’t like them but after about a week or so I adjusted and couldn’t seem them working any differently now. Besides, you had to trait for it prior to the patch anyway so this gives you a trait point back.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

Honestly, I’m still playing this trapper ranger and I just can’t get over how annoying it is to have to stand inside players bodies to get these stupid things off. I’m so sick of Anet balancing the game without thinking about what’s actually fun. Throwing traps was fun. You threw them into the area you wanted to fight, then jumped in with them for a fun condi arena.

I don’t get this comment. You don’t have to stand inside the players bodies. They are not like that. Traps are used to herd, guide, kite, the enemy into. Not on top of… You and your team know where they are. They are to prevent, and alert, and reset the fight, “as well as” damage.

They are not grenades, nets, or boomerangs. You place them and then dance. I run 4 and enjoy spike trap the most.

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

Traps are fine the way they are, I run them in WvW and prefer the post 23rd change.

They work solo, they work in small groups, and they work in zergs when timed properly. Borderland maps they excel or areas that confine space. If you are still having issues after the change then maybe it is how you use them – not being a poo head, just saying.

At first I didn’t like them but after about a week or so I adjusted and couldn’t seem them working any differently now. Besides, you had to trait for it prior to the patch anyway so this gives you a trait point back.

We aren’t talking about WvW. And while I’m glad you like them, I don’t think they are ideal. I’d give up weapon swap if I could get a few utilities and the traps counting as weapons.

OP-I fully understand where you are coming from. This last week I played the hell out of a condi trapper build. I solo qued, duo qued and ran full 5 with friends in Rated.

Sometimes it was amazing, sometimes it just sucked. Being a one man condi bomb is amazing. Having one heal and zero utilities makes the trapper soft. The trapper is slow moving and doesn’t have stealth, blocks or immunes.

Having to drop the traps in a big fight is where I am MOST valuable and it is also where I am most vulnerable. It eems like a conflicted proposition.
Necros can do this and still tank the kitten out of people.

The more organized/meta the group we are fighting is, the more weaknesses the trapper showed. I really saw this to be true when I played my EU account, where our EU GW2 brethren love the crap out of the holy cheese that is the META.

After looking at the meta, I really think ranger is missing something that other classes that fill the meta have. We don’t have the tankiness, the stealth, the heals, the immunes, the movement effects and the cd on spike trap is too long.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Ranger

Hammerguard.9834

I don’t get this comment. You don’t have to stand inside the players bodies. They are not like that. Traps are used to herd, guide, kite, the enemy into. Not on top of… You and your team know where they are. They are to prevent, and alert, and reset the fight, “as well as” damage.

They are not grenades, nets, or boomerangs. You place them and then dance. I run 4 and enjoy spike trap the most.

Trapper ranger can’t be played like this, though. Most classes can get you below 50% before they even get within range to trigger a trap, and with the sacrificed defenses to even slot traps you’re forced to get your traps on your opponent to basically burst them down before they can burst you down. Trapper rangers can’t afford waiting around for opponents to walk on their traps.

So now, in a scenario where the trapper is forced to walk over to an enemy player, they also have to spend 1.5 seconds literally dancing around them to finally get traps activated. At this point the trapper just hopes that the enemy player sits in the traps long enough to make all the effort worth it, which in most cases isn’t worth it. Trying to get on a power ranger with a trapper ranger for example is an absolute nightmare.

… I still want tengu.

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

We aren’t talking about WvW. And while I’m glad you like them, I don’t think they are ideal. I’d give up weapon swap if I could get a few utilities and the traps counting as weapons.

OP-I fully understand where you are coming from. This last week I played the hell out of a condi trapper build. I solo qued, duo qued and ran full 5 with friends in Rated.

Sometimes it was amazing, sometimes it just sucked. Being a one man condi bomb is amazing. Having one heal and zero utilities makes the trapper soft. The trapper is slow moving and doesn’t have stealth, blocks or immunes.

Having to drop the traps in a big fight is where I am MOST valuable and it is also where I am most vulnerable. It eems like a conflicted proposition.

The more organized/meta the group we are fighting is, the more weaknesses the trapper showed. I really saw this to be true when I played my EU account, where our EU GW2 brethren love the crap out of the holy cheese that is the META.

After looking at the meta, I really think ranger is missing something that other classes that fill the meta have. We don’t have the tankiness, the stealth, the heals, the immunes, the movement effects and the cd on spike trap is too long.

Can’t use the runes in sPvP so that leaves WvW/PvE.

People like them the way they are now just as much as people hate them. Just adapt or don’t use them. We don’t need them to be kits, weapons, or anything else.

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

Trapper ranger can’t be played like this, though. Most classes can get you below 50% before they even get within range to trigger a trap, and with the sacrificed defenses to even slot traps you’re forced to get your traps on your opponent to basically burst them down before they can burst you down. Trapper rangers can’t afford waiting around for opponents to walk on their traps.

So now, in a scenario where the trapper is forced to walk over to an enemy player, they also have to spend 1.5 seconds literally dancing around them to finally get traps activated. At this point the trapper just hopes that the enemy player sits in the traps long enough to make all the effort worth it, which in most cases isn’t worth it. Trying to get on a power ranger with a trapper ranger for example is an absolute nightmare.

Maybe. But this is just a subjective argument really and it isn’t my way or the highway. With regards to my play style I just don’t see them to be a burden by not being able to toss them. I run LB, axe, and torch – maybe that is it. Or, maybe it is the server I run on with regards to WvW.

They give me speed, they provide stealth. I have equal range with LB, and have good melee with axe/torch. Conditions are fine and I can reset/move as needed. I will say the pet not going to stealth at the same time you drop a trap gives our direction a way 90% of the time but even that doesn’t really make them bad.

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

People like them the way they are now just as much as people hate them. Just adapt or don’t use them. We don’t need them to be kits, weapons, or anything else.

Nobody is talking about runes and no one is talking about WvW.

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

It’s not easy and sometimes it’s not possible but the times I have been able to do it I use the evades from sword three and dagger four to squirrel my way closer to the ranger until I am within range of an entangle…if they get rooted and don’t get away quick, well you know the rest.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

multiple people in the thread were commenting on how traps and the runes work in wvw, even if you and the OP were not. take a breath. not everything is a contained A-B conversation. ideas spill.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

I used to run them a lot in wvw, but since we can’t throw them anymore, i ended up dropping them completely. I found them very useful onto or down from walls. They were our only ground-targeted aoe with Barrage. Now Barrage is the only one. Yay…

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

Maybe with Druid it will come… maybe they pulled a daredevil on us

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

No, but they are talking about “traps” and the post 23rd patch that changed how they work. They are connected even if you don’t connect the dots because they are used in each of the formats of play to include the use of runes.