Let's Speculate: Role of Druid?

in Ranger

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I am trying to figure out how Anet can make Stances interesting skill type for Druid.

in Ranger

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

The Druids are much more likely to be teaching us druidic skills out of desperation than anything else. Mordremoth is a crazy threat, like all the Elder Dragons are, and spreading around their mojo is likely to be the only way they can see to really protect the jungle.

This is sort of off-topic considering this is more about lore than about mechanics but I think there is a real possibility that you’re wrong. If the druids from GW1 are any indication there is a chance that the druids are actually pro-dragon. We know that dragons are part of a natural cycle where dragons sleep —> magic increases --> dragons wake up —> magic decreases --> dragons sleep. And we know from Ogden and the Apostate that screwing up that cycle might negatively influence the entire world. We know that druids believe in balance and nature (including death and decay) and are actually kind of uncaring about the consequences that might have on others. We know that modremoth’s recent activity is actually causing an increase in plant-life in the maguuma jungle (conversely it is possible that the drought that has plagued the maguuma region was caused by him sleeping). Put all this together and the druids might not actually want us to kill the dragons because they believe dragons and their activities are a neccesary part of the world.

Edit: It would make for a nice contrast between how Itzel view nature and the dragons on the one hand and how the druids view those on the other.

(edited by Diovid.9506)

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

One thing to keep in mind is the Druid pets will automatically be weaker than Ranger pets.

hoT Rangers get a free 300 points of pet stat buff as per their current trait line 5.

Druids get 150 of this bonus and 150 of something else. Their pets will be noticeably weaker.

And they are getting a heal, 4 utility skills and an elite from a skill type they don’t have already, so they are NOT going to focus on anything Rangers already have like spirits, shouts, or traps. You can get those things using your 2 flexible specialization slots but the Druid line is going to be something new.

I was under the impression that pets would be getting a 150 stat increase across the board and another 150 IF you trait into BM, which the Druid would also be able to do.

We already know we will get something we don’t have currently.

in Ranger

Posted by: Howardjones.7645

Howardjones.7645

Here is what I speculate. And it isn’t anything too shiny ( except for the unities)

How Druid Functions:

The Druid focuses on supporting your allies and your pet by keeping your enemies CC’d and enabling your pets to hit more accurately.

How class mechanic changes:

While playing as a Druid you gain the ability to train and equip additional pets found in the Maguma jungle! No new button functionality is added but these new pets have abilities that take advantage of the new and creative gameplay coming in HoT.

The utility we will get? Venom’s! Harness the power of nature to soft and hard CC as well as conditions like burning and bleeding

But unlike the Venoms for the thief and sharpening stone for the ranger which inflict conditions on your next X attacks, they will work more like Preparations from GW1 which when activated lets your attacks do X effects for the next X seconds to help keep your targeted foe crippled CC’d and overall miserable!

This is very specific. Plus I feel using something like venoms is more of a thief assassin role. As for a druid playing support I don’t doubt this seeing as how they are making Guardians into rangers with longbow and traps. Only suiting we have rangers take guardians jobs. Joking aside I like a support role, but was hoping a cc condition play style to reflect on my rangers current style would be the route they went in. But as I said previous, I’m going druid regardless. Its actually the #1 reason I started playing GW2 about 3 weeks ago. A friend mentioned it to me and it peaked my interest.

Someone earlier mentioned about not playing a ranger until they removed condition cap. Its a work in progress I hear. And poisons get there own stack. So no more one poison at a time nonsense.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I would not hold off on playing Ranger because of the condition cap, you can hit 25 bleeds, but its not like you can maintain it or anything. Poison not stacking is not a big drama really, condi builds are very stong for us.

in Ranger

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

One thing to keep in mind is the Druid pets will automatically be weaker than Ranger pets.

hoT Rangers get a free 300 points of pet stat buff as per their current trait line 5.

Druids get 150 of this bonus and 150 of something else. Their pets will be noticeably weaker.

And they are getting a heal, 4 utility skills and an elite from a skill type they don’t have already, so they are NOT going to focus on anything Rangers already have like spirits, shouts, or traps. You can get those things using your 2 flexible specialization slots but the Druid line is going to be something new.

I was under the impression that pets would be getting a 150 stat increase across the board and another 150 IF you trait into BM, which the Druid would also be able to do.

We already know we will get something we don’t have currently.

You are correct in this, Heimskarl, as it was confirmed by the devs. As a matter of fact I’d hazard a guess to say druids will make pets stronger, as I’ve no doubt the spec will include some pet-centric traits.

I would not hold off on playing Ranger because of the condition cap, you can hit 25 bleeds, but its not like you can maintain it or anything. Poison not stacking is not a big drama really, condi builds are very stong for us.

I’ve always loved playing a trapper ranger, and stacking conditions just makes it better. Viper Nest and Burning Trap in particular, since they’ll have the chance for burn and poison stacks.

in Ranger

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

It sure doesnt sound very exiting, staff ranger

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I’ve always loved playing a trapper ranger, and stacking conditions just makes it better. Viper Nest and Burning Trap in particular, since they’ll have the chance for burn and poison stacks.

Take a look at the Pyro Ranger build I’ve been working on. I’d love some feedback and ideas for improvements. Its all about burning, bleed and poison stacking.

I suppose you could form an opinion from a position of ignorance and imagination, but I would hold off on that

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

uh…. no…. ALL profs are getting half of their prof stat base, so rangers pets would be getting 150 stats, NOT 300, you’d only get the full 300 if you go into Beastmastery, which druids can do as well.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Howardjones.7645

Its not a staff ranger, its a druid; big difference. Its like a Guardian becoming a Dragonhunter. What seems un-exciting to me would be chronomancer. Seems to have the least change from a mesmer. Also, just because you spec druid doesn’t mean you have to use a staff. Maybe you like it for added utility skills and some of the traits. Elite specs will add a new layer to creating builds. I look forward to this.

My current build I run bleeds and poisons. I use snake and spike traps, poison master, with double birds. Shortbow as my main weapon choice and a sword plus horn for a boost of speed. I use the signet that grants toughness since I’m mid range the added defense is nice. Plus the 6 second invulnerability. My elite skill is entangle and I use krait as my armor runes. It makes popping entangle a nasty surprise for a group of enemies. I do pretty decent in PvP. I can win most 1v1 and hold out fairly decent on 1v2. I think a condition ranger in PvP catches most people off guard.

(edited by Howardjones.7645)

in Ranger

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

would love to see druid staff replicate guardian GS….heavy aoe dmg with vine-themed cc and gap closer…..power melee weapon, not condi or heal-support

utilities – stances that effect druid and pet/allies….while maybe “boring” these can easily fill in some ranger weaknesses and have pretty cool druid themed effects/animations

probably won’t see transformations/animal shapeshifting, as that has been don as a norn thing………would expect it to be entirely plant-based (which fits HoT theme).

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Ah also, i did forget earlier. Another of ranger’s dead zones is boon removal. Might be druids will have some serious options for that and not just 1v1 wise.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

It literally can’t be any more boring than the “Auto attack and nothing else, ever…” Lb or A/WH rangers that so many play.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Sneakier.9460

Sneakier.9460

For anet, support=CC in some classes

See Reaper, he supports his team by chilling the enemy

Druid will support by cripling/imobilizing the enemy

That and its 99,9% sure we gona get a water field!

Gunnars Hold= Tuga Land

in Ranger

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I hope we see more of the d&d druid/controller and less of the typical wow Druid.

^ this…this…THIS

I hate how muddled wow made druid and everyone accepted it as canon, d&d druid was far more epic in fact. I was playing my druid on neverwinter nights the other day when my internet was down. I miss the support and control debuffs.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

It literally can’t be any more boring than the “Auto attack and nothing else, ever…” Lb or A/WH rangers that so many play.

Those aren’t our auto attack weapons….

in Ranger

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

uh…. no…. ALL profs are getting half of their prof stat base, so rangers pets would be getting 150 stats, NOT 300, you’d only get the full 300 if you go into Beastmastery, which druids can do as well.

Yeah. I went back and re-read that. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

Which is interesting, because if Beastmaster comes with 150 stat points, I don’t see how the other 4 lines are gonna work without providing 150 stat points too (down from 600, but still).

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Well, all classes are getting that bonus from the class mechanic trait line. Ranger’s just happens to be Pet Attributes.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Ventari was not a druid, so I doubt it

in Ranger

Howardjones.7645

He wasn’t a druid, but he was druid like. I know this thread is about ranger druid speculation. But knowing who ventari was (you know planting the pale tree and founding the sylvari race) what sort of skills would he have?

Back on topic, I really hope Anet releases info on the druid skills. But I fear we won’t hear about the druid specialization until all other classes had there turn.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

He wasn’t a druid, but he was druid like.

He wasn’t even “druid-like”, not from a Guild Wars perspective.

Something people need to keep in mind when speculating on what the druid will do. Guild Wars druids are far different from the general fantasy druid.

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

We’ll summon Sylvari’s to do our bidding. Calling it.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Well i’m putting my money on zone control + torment + boon strip
or zone control + boon machine

in Ranger

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Druid is actually a really interesting class in something like Dungeons and Dragons. Often times they would fill the role of healer but they were not limited to that role and it really wasn’t where they shined the brightest. A few of my friends absolutely adored the class since they could do so much with it, from heavy front line brawler to back line supportive summoner/caster to healer. The Class was extremely versatile with a wide variety of roles it could play.

Druids in the Guild wars Lore were nature lovers and devout Melandru followers according to the Wiki. But I remember hearing that they were actually cured by Melandru to protect the Jungle but I could very well be mistaken. Either way their isn’t a whole lot to go off of for abilities.

If we Think about the lore then the Druids clearly would be about preservation which would be control and healing. But if we expand that idea to what we see what D&D then they could go in a very unique direction. But the ultimate conclusion of this all seriously depends on how they use their weapon, what sort of new skills they get and what their new profession mechanic will do.

My personal hopes/theory is that the Druid will be getting Glyphs that change function slightly based on the pet the have out at the time. This could fill several and massively different types of builds and play styles that could be closer to what the D&D druid was all about. The only issue is balance. It means that they’d have to balance the skills for several different pets rather than just one which might be undesirable. But it would be so cool to play with and experiment with. It would be very exciting to use and could give far more diversity among druids than any other specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

If it can’t heal/support I will have many tears.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

they seem to wanna expand on healing and support specs, which was the most interesting piece from the POI. I would prefer if druid expanded on the healing/cc/power damage combo, instead of adding more condis to the staff. unrelated, but I also desperately hope OH axe gets reworked.

in Ranger

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

If it can’t heal/support I will have many tears.

I’ve got a set of exotic cleric gear waiting and ready for the sake of playing a healer, and have a cleric stat ascended staff. I will be exceedingly upset if druids can’t do any healing.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I hope there is at least 1 decent healing skill that also buffs allies (like Empower) on the staff, but mostly, I’m hoping for big AoE CC and stability fields. We’d have a solid place in the WvW meta then, big ranged damage with LB and also CC/Support like a guard or ele.