Let's get philosophical. What is OUR purpose?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

Our purpose? well mate, we are the ones who carry everyone’s burden. We are the one’s who carry all the other classes shames. Their sins are on our shoulders, and we, Rangers, must do this because it is our only reason for existence…

Sorry i got all philosophical but I just had to.

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

To procreate. Excessively.

The world of Tyria needs all the little rangers of the next generation to carry on our tradition of masochism by stubbornly sticking to this class.

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

(edited by Faux Sheaux.6179)

in Ranger

Posted by: dodgerrule.8739

dodgerrule.8739

Anyone whom assumes that rangers suck deserve to be burned alive. Rangers are what you make of us. We are meant for soloing, we can do things that other classes can’t, such as tanking a boss and having your pet dps him, or quickly switching to a pet whom is generally good and using him to tank while you quickly condition. Whatever you want to do as a ranger is possible.

What other class is able to attack while healing or resing an ally?

Dodger Rule Ranger – Fort Aspenwood

in Ranger

Aden Celeste.3650

Anyone whom assumes that rangers suck deserve to be burned alive. Rangers are what you make of us. We are meant for soloing, we can do things that other classes can’t, such as tanking a boss and having your pet dps him, or quickly switching to a pet whom is generally good and using him to tank while you quickly condition. Whatever you want to do as a ranger is possible.

For how long have you been using a ranger? LOL

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

For how long have you been using a ranger? LOL

I suppose he is new lol, made me laugh. Dont know if he is really serious or messing around mmmm…

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Well, dodgerrule, that argument was much more powerful before pets forgot how to DPS last patch. “Chuck! What happened to you? You used to have such sharp claws! Are you biting your nails again????”

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Ghettoblade.7962

Ghettoblade.7962

He must be thinking of the WoW hunter.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Dodgerrule’s right, but some of you are being too tunnel-visioned to try new ways of using your class and so don’t see it.

The class brings excellent support with spirit buffs, pets revives, spotter, area heals, area condition removal, and other elements.

It does solid damage if traited and geared well.

There are plenty of conditions for good control.

It alternates well for the situation – very good for being in melee, ranged, or with a split between self and pet: both.

Ranger played with ‘just auto-attacking stuffz’ can solo just fine, and sucks in group content… but it might be time to learn to do more than auto-attack.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

in Ranger

Aden Celeste.3650

“Dodgerrule’s right, but some of you are being too tunnel-visioned to try new ways of using your class and so don’t see it.”

I dont think you have the right to tell 90% of all rangers in this forum that we are all having some delusional dream that the ranger class is in serious need of work. Dont try to tell me that Im using the class wrong either. Its very impolite.

“The class brings excellent support with spirit buffs, pets revives, spotter, area heals, area condition removal, and other elements.”

Huh?! Can you please let me know what game are you playing? it cant be GW2. About heals, thats about the only thing we can do right. Pets only revive down players (if you didn’t know), which is very situational. Before it was by far more useful when the pet was able to revive dead players while I kited a boss. I wonder how many people now actually use that skill?

“It does solid damage if traited and geared well.”

Used to… and only in spvp. PVE is a different story, as the pet is dead most of the time with just one punch in the face. If you want to use a bear, their damage cannot compare to birds or cats.

“There are plenty of conditions for good control.”

Elaborate on this.

“It alternates well for the situation – very good for being in melee, ranged, or with a split between self and pet: both.”

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Please explain how we can be as efficient if not so more than what other classes can already provide for a fraction of our investment.

“Ranger played with ‘just auto-attacking stuffz’ can solo just fine, and sucks in group content… but it might be time to learn to do more than auto-attack.”

What makes you think we all just auto attack? Do our complaints and worries say -OMG we cant beat this guy while we are auto attacking?- Our problems are not about auto attack, although even that is about 70-60% of the total damage of our class, while the rest falls on a dead pet. Im sure many are happy with the rangers as they are, and to you guys “Enjoy”, but many of us want more out of our class, and to provide solid support/damage in dungeons and other activities in the game.

As skilled as I am as a ranger (want to prove it? duel me in pvp or take me to a dungeon run) I cant but help realize just how inefficient it is at many things, only when compared to all the other classes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

When people make a point about how great ranger is at one thing, I always have this nagging question in the back of my head.

At what cost?

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

I let rangers stay because I play one myself an awful lot. condi-trap rangers synergize will with epidemic necros. not as well as engi’s, but if you dont have an engi, ranger is the next best bet. if he is not a condi-ranger, well, then thats another story.

we are still very powerful in the water on capricorn and in the clocktower on khylo, though much less so post shortbow nerf.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

While it is true that the ranger class can be played well, with the same gear and effort, practically every other class is more effective and doesn’t risk losing 30-40% of their DPS from something out of their control.

Many of us do try new builds and to work around the class’s inherent problems, but the inherent problems are still there and still do hold us back.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: Drake Phoenix.6158

Drake Phoenix.6158

Rangers currently have no real purpose in most structured group formats. We simply do not have enough to offer that cannot be achieved by others (often more easily). I let rangers into my groups because I am not obsessed with being top of the leaderboards, or clearing a dungeon as fast as possible, and I’m instead more focused on having fun with a group of people that have good attitudes and want to have fun too.

I’m still waiting for the great changes to Ranger that were promised months ago. What have we seen? Minor improvements to spirits that aren’t really that spectacular, nerf of our only exceptional weapon without corresponding buffs to our crappy weapons, no love for non-conditions build concepts, minor improvements to pet stats, followed quickly by a slight nerf to them, and minor improvement to pet AI that still isn’t good enough. Did I miss any other so-called “major” changes? The devs really need to stop making blanket balance changes that help balance in sPvP and WvWvW and make things worse in PvE and dungeons. And AI for pets (and minions, etc.), although slightly improved, still is not good enough to be remotely feasible without micromanaging.

I’ll be happier when I can play the Ranger I want to play — power/crit longbow with feline pets, focused on bow damage, not BM — and have the build actually be at least “average” (give or take) compared to other damage builds of both ranger and other classes. That would be nice. But I digress.

Getting back to the OP’s issue and question, I personally allow Rangers because I choose not to be particularly competitive about leaderboards or overall “success” by other peoples’ standards. I want to have a good time, and am more interested in overall attitudes of the people I play with, than with their skill or the ability of the group to “succeed”. As long as we have a good time and enjoy each others’ virtual company, that works for me. Of course, failing at every proposed endeavor is not fun, so this does have to be balanced out somewhat with more practical considerations, like player skill, and chosen objectives, but I’m not idiot enough to believe that things cannot be both fun and successful at the same time, even it requires some extra effort on the part of the group. I don’t feel the need for things to be always as easy or as fast as they possibly can be, I just want them to be fun, and ideally to look good graphically.

But the problem is that there are so many other people out there who are not in the same sort of mind-set. Combine that with the general stigma that rangers suffer and you get the issue of people being unwilling, out of hand, to accept a ranger into their team/group/pug/etc.

I get the impression from the skills available to us that the devs intended us to be a “jack-of-all” sort of a class, able to do just about anything we choose to. The problem is that there is not enough balance from one ranger build to the next, or from one ranger build to another class’s build designed for the same purpose, to allow us to really be that versatile. Most of the time, and for most roles/purposes, other classes are preferable, because they can do the job better (assuming equal player skill). Anything we can do is often achieved more powerfully, more quickly, and/or more easily by other classes.

The purpose of the ranger then: Despite what it seems the devs may have intended, the current state of the game is such that the purpose of the ranger seems to be to stand on the street corner shouting “I am not useless, let me prove it!” and having other players glance warily and sidelong at us, hoping they don’t accidentally make direct eye contact, while trying to pretend they aren’t really putting together a group/team.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Dodgerrule’s right, but some of you are being too tunnel-visioned to try new ways of using your class and so don’t see it.

The class brings excellent support with spirit buffs, pets revives, spotter, area heals, area condition removal, and other elements.

It alternates well for the situation – very good for being in melee, ranged, or with a split between self and pet: both.

Ranger played with ‘just auto-attacking stuffz’ can solo just fine, and sucks in group content… but it might be time to learn to do more than auto-attack.

Look man, I’m pretty die kitten the whole “rangers are fine all you forum posters are idiots!” (No offense) team, but dodgerule is clearly new and doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

You know who else can have an NPC tank as you Rez? ANYBODY but a warrior, eles have earth elementals (bears on roids), mes has phantasmal defender, necros have a horde of minions, etc etc.

Rangers don’t do anything another prof can’t, end of story, they can do things better than some profs granted, like ranged DPS, hybrid builds (condi AND direct damage) etc, but nothing the ranger can do is UNIQUE to the ranger, which bums me out because I really wish we had -something-.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

Rangers don’t do anything another prof can’t, end of story, they can do things better than some profs granted, like ranged DPS, hybrid builds (condi AND direct damage) etc, but nothing the ranger can do is UNIQUE to the ranger, which bums me out because I really wish we had -something-.

That’s not true. There is one thing we do that is unique. We lose a lot of DPS from something entirely out of our control. /sarcasm

That being said, I’m sticking with ranger for my main regardless.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

That’s not true. There is one thing we do that is unique. We lose a lot of DPS from something entirely out of our control. /sarcasm

I’m playing my ele a lot more but now that spirits are stronger my ranger is making me second guess the whole playing on my ele thing lol, that and I’m a lot better at playing ranger than I am playing ele xD

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

I’m playing my ele a lot more but now that spirits are stronger my ranger is making me second guess the whole playing on my ele thing lol, that and I’m a lot better at playing ranger than I am playing ele xD

Practice with the staff! You can’t lose to ol’ Chopps. Everyone knows I’m a noob who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. hehe

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Practice with the staff! You can’t lose to ol’ Chopps. Everyone knows I’m a noob who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. hehe

lol i’d just bust out the good ole scepter/focus if i wanted to stomp you on my ele

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Rangers are the shortbows of the world. We are in the game to make the longbows of the world look less bad. Whenever a longbow feels bad about itself, ArenaNet can nerf the ranger to make the longbows feel slightly less bad.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

lol i’d just bust out the good ole scepter/focus if i wanted to stomp you on my ele

Ya, everyone in my guild who plays ele has been raving about that combo.

in Ranger

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

No others are pretty much on their marks with dodgerrule

- Pets cannot tank bosses, unless you consider dying in 1-2 hits tanking
- Spirits dont stay alive long enough to be considered suppot (Banners are better)
- Pet revives don’t work most of the time and have a wicked long cool down
- Any class can be a spotter
- AoE heals are one of the areas the class actually excels in
- Area condition removal is not that effective
- Solid damage only comes in the form of zerker gear, but with the recent damage nerf to pets, it’s not nearly as solid as other classes, like not even close
- Melee is not as strong as other classes, nor is the ranged abilities oddly enough

Pretty much everything the ranger does, can be replaced by another class that can do it better; that’s why they aren’t desired in groups.

in Ranger

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Simple

To be Failiures

To be The Scapegoat Class

To be Abused and Tortured

To be Sacrificed and Punished

To be Humiliated and Belittled

To be told that we’re Loosing it (crazy), (stupid)

To be told we don’t know wht we’re talking about

To be Lied to and Decieved

To be Laughed at and Mocked

To be Forgotten

To be the Entertainers for our Advesaries

To be and always be the Black Sheep

(That’s my philosophical)

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)