Long bow: is it too much to ask for dynamic arcing?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

If someone is on a keep wall, a few feet back, why does my “master of the longbow” not put a teensy bit of arc on the shot? I mean, a dummy might try to line-drive it through the lip of the massive stone wall, but that’s about it.

Is it within the capabilities of the game mechanics to have an auto-attack be able to have the button held down, changing the arc of the shot? This would be similar to adjusting the power/distance on siege equiment.

in Ranger

Posted by: SlimJim.3087

SlimJim.3087

Arc aside wouldnt a smart archer just lean over the edge a little so he could get full pull on his bow and line drive an arrow into said enemies head?

I mean in most historic castles there is little spaces usually along keep walls so archers can do just that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Glektor.2934

Glektor.2934

I’d just be happy if I didn’t have to leap up on the side of the walls where everyone can hit me to shoot down at the guys sieging the gates. You would think an archer wouldn’t have to climb outside of his own keep walls to attack people below.

in Ranger

Posted by: poolman.7245

poolman.7245

I think this is a very cool idea. Even have just one skill that does this, would make it more realistic, and give us some cover if the edge of the keep is under too much fire for us.

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

Arc aside wouldnt a smart archer just lean over the edge a little so he could get full pull on his bow and line drive an arrow into said enemies head?

I mean in most historic castles there is little spaces usually along keep walls so archers can do just that.

Yeah, they called them “murder holes” and with good reason.

On topic, it does make sense that you should be able to “lob” shots with the longbow, especially since that’s kind of what they were designed for. I can understand shortbows not being able to arc shots, but longbows should definitely have some kind of “indirect fire” mode.

Or just rename it composite bow.

in Ranger

Posted by: SlimJim.3087

SlimJim.3087

Even warriors get arcing arrow, which isnt exactly what were asking for here, but its closer then anything we got.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Yeah, they called them “murder holes” and with good reason.

On topic, it does make sense that you should be able to “lob” shots with the longbow, especially since that’s kind of what they were designed for. I can understand shortbows not being able to arc shots, but longbows should definitely have some kind of “indirect fire” mode.

Or just rename it composite bow.

^What he said, actually shortbow is probably closer to a mongolian recurve, which could fire arced arrows. However I agree, longbow should be able to arc shots atleast with certain skills. Idk how they would go about that but Id imagine giving us like a 500 range radius to shoot from cover.