Longbow Ideas, share them with me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I know this type of thread has been done but Im not going to search if its still there. Maybe anet will see this and get a few ideas. Either way its more for my own mind to fantasize about while I wait for next patch since its make it or break it for me.

1-Long-Ranged shot. Its already been said this skill NEEDS to be same damage across all ranges. What I suggest they do in its place is make it so this skill has 1500 range untraited, and when traited has 1800 and at 0-1000 range we get 10% more crit chance, 1001-1500 range we get 20% and at 1501-1800 we get 30% crit chance, this would make LRS useful while at close range but incredibly dangerous at max, and it would have the extra range to make it feel like a true sniper skill.

2-Rapid Fire. I really think this skill should mirrow warriors volley attack, 5 shots in 2.5 secs, or apply vulnerability per hit, or possibly a 50% chance too. Thats really it.

3-Hunters Shot. This skill should do more damage, possibly around the 2k range on high toughness, or cripple along with the vulnerability. Or make it a full blown snipe skill like kill shot or sniper shot from scout, it needs work, idc how they do it.

4-Point Blank Shot. This skill should do more damage, since its really only useable when enemies get in close. Make it so it cripples as well as knocks back, or make it so it knocks back and increase its damage by about 100%-150% that way it can be a third damage option, as it is, its just annoying. If people have to worry about taking that skill to the face they might think twice about zerging us.

5-Barrage. This skill is mostly fine, it could use about 25% more damage, no restriction as to how many enemies it hits, and a shorter cd, maybe lower it too 30 without quickdraw. Although Id prefere 25 so quickdraw brings it to a flat 20.

Give me your ideas on mine, or post your own ideas. Im also down for any constructive criticism.

(edited by Dante Dragonhand.2538)

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

No one has any comments on my ideas or any they would like to share?

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I mostly agree with all you said.
3 – I like 3 in its current form, perhaps dealing a bit more damage like you said.
4 – a slight increase in kd time
Would like to add being able to move when using #5 – I hate skills that makes you unable to move in general, so there are more out there that needs that fix (looking at you, whirling defense

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Remove hunters shot to hell and replace it with a such cool thing like a sniper shot ( http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sniper_Shot_%28Snowball_Mayhem%29 ) with huge damage, like a scout on Snowball Mayhem have. For those who do not know – the damage of this thing is proportional to the cast time. The exact maximum time I can not remember (about 8-10 seconds), but it gives almost 1shot (15-20k). For me, it fit perfectly with the archetype of “powerful sniper”. Increase the damage of rapid fire by 20% and give vulnerability to each hit. And it will be just fabulous.

(edited by MeGaZlo.9516)

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Remove hunters shot to hell and replace it with a such cool thing like a sniper shot ( http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sniper_Shot_%28Snowball_Mayhem%29 ) with huge damage, like a scout on Snowball Mayhem have. For those who do not know – the damage of this thing is proportional to the cast time. The exact maximum time I can not remember (about 8-10 seconds), but it gives almost 1shot (15-20k). For me, it fit perfectly with the archetype of “powerful sniper”. Increase the damage of rapid fire by 20% and give vulnerability to each hit. And it will be just fabulous.

No. Hunter’s shot is there for its usefulness in groups, with 10% more damage dealt to the enemy from your entire group.

This game doesn’t need more extremely high burst damage abilities, but less. Running around oneshotting ppl, can’t understand why some of you want that type of game – it sucks.

Rangers are decently balanced. Most of the other classes? Not so much.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I mostly agree with all you said.
3 – I like 3 in its current form, perhaps dealing a bit more damage like you said.
4 – a slight increase in kd time
Would like to add being able to move when using #5 – I hate skills that makes you unable to move in general, so there are more out there that needs that fix (looking at you, whirling defense

Id like several different variations of hunters shot, adding cripple too it would be pretty kitten nice, but atm Id love it to be a mimic of snipers shot really. I think I get what you mean by #4 Kd time, when you knock them back they are up almost instantly, it should flatten their kitten if you hit them with an arrow strong enough to knock them flying back, it should hit hard, and sit them on their butts for awhile. Also barrage being stationary isnt too terribly bad, its a 2.5 sec cast time so its not too rough, also idk how they would do it moving unless they change the kneeling animation and just make it so you fire into their air. Or they could just make it like Eles meteor shower and make it a 1 time cast and then walk away.

Agreed, I would like hunters shot remade into that, but since anet would likely never do that Id like them to do something like add more damage, maybe add a poison effect too it or a cripple, something to make it worth using. The cast time isnt 8-10 secs haha its more like 3 1/4 exactly. Ive done alot of pvp with the scout and love it so much, having a 8-10 sec charge up shot would be a bit stupid, unless it was a insta kill, then it would be op especially when used with cover. But yes I agree its perfect for a sniper class, and it travels like a kill shot speed and goes about 2k range. Oh John Peters, how I wish you would indulge me for 1 day.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

No. Hunter’s shot is there for its usefulness in groups, with 10% more damage dealt to the enemy from your entire group.

This game doesn’t need more extremely high burst damage abilities, but less. Running around oneshotting ppl, can’t understand why some of you want that type of game – it sucks.

Ok first, gonna say that I dont want too 1 shot people, I just want a high damage option to FEEL like a sniper, like a sniper shot ability, I wouldnt care if it only did 5k on heavy defensive built players, but I would like something to make me feel like a real archer, second, the burst isnt the problem so much as the ability to avoid it, most of the panic buttons have incredibly long cds or have to be traited like signet of kitten. They should make those more available to people who dont run bunker builds. Also I dont feel ranger is decently balanced at all, infact I disagree completely, most other classes are amazingly well balanced, the only one that comes to mind that isnt is ranger, maybe ele. Ranger has balanced builds that pull that jack of all trades, only about 2 of them, the rest are inferior. Some of our biggest problems are lack of utilities that work or synergize well with builds, and weak weapons, and squishy kitten pets.

in Ranger

MeGaZlo.9516

Looks like you just not tried it. It is not easy to do full cast. This adds a tactical element in the fight, instead of dumb pressing buttons without cd. 10 stacks vulnerability to Rapid Fire – a worthy compromise.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Yes, I was just thinking about hunters shot, I get that anet wanted it to be a damage buff for a whole group but honestly, Im pretty sure your teamates would rather you have a hard hitting sniper skill over a removeable 10% damage buff that in retrospect isnt that great compared too a flat 5k damage every 9 seconds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

1-Long-Ranged shot. Its already been said this skill NEEDS to be same damage across all ranges. What I suggest they do in its place is make it so this skill has 1500 range untraited, and when traited has 1800 and at 0-1000 range we get 10% more crit chance, 1001-1500 range we get 20% and at 1501-1800 we get 30% crit chance, this would make LRS useful while at close range but incredibly dangerous at max, and it would have the extra range to make it feel like a true sniper skill.

Completely agree on that. That’s the first and most important thing they should change. The dmg should definitely be the same at all ranges and they should boost the dmg a bit, the autoatt speed is already slow enough (which is fine tbh, is quite realistic).
I think the range is ok as it is (1200, 1500 traited). The +%crit chance at range is a cool idea and way better than the dmg increase: when an arrow is shot it immediately begins to lose velocity because of drag; as the velocity decreases, so will the kinetic energy. And pls don’t bring the fantasy game kitten up pls, the lb autoatt doesn’t make any sense. The +% cit chance at range is not realistic as well ofc, but fits the “sniper idea” very well after all.

2-Rapid Fire. I really think this skill should mirrow warriors volley attack, 5 shots in 2.5 secs, or apply vulnerability per hit, or possibly a 50% chance too. Thats really it.

I agree it should be similar to warrior volley. Vulnerability will be a little too much, since we already have hunter’s shot.

3-Hunters Shot. This skill should do more damage, possibly around the 2k range on high toughness, or cripple along with the vulnerability. Or make it a full blown snipe skill like kill shot or sniper shot from scout, it needs work, idc how they do it.

Mmm a cripple would be really cool, but hunter’s shot is quite strong as it is imo (it gives our pet swift as well).

4-Point Blank Shot. This skill should do more damage, since its really only useable when enemies get in close. Make it so it cripples as well as knocks back, or make it so it knocks back and increase its damage by about 100%-150% that way it can be a third damage option, as it is, its just annoying. If people have to worry about taking that skill to the face they might think twice about zerging us.

Damage is quite fine imo, a cripple is needed tho, is a cool idea and will boost the skill a bit.

5-Barrage. This skill is mostly fine, it could use about 25% more damage, no restriction as to how many enemies it hits, and a shorter cd, maybe lower it too 30 without quickdraw. Although Id prefere 25 so quickdraw brings it to a flat 20.

Nah barrage is fine, i don’t want them to boost barrage dmg tbh, aoe is already annoying enough in this game. Cd is ok as well.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

I’m fine with all the skills except for 1,where i’d prefer to see a constant damage but increased crit chance for how far away you are.
As for all the damage increases you want,that would make the Ranger incredibly OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

to the OP

1. I like your range suggestions almost completely, even the crit chance idea. I have no idea why longbows and shortbows have the same range in this game. You shouldn’t have to “trait” for better range than a shortbow…it’s a longbow for cryin out loud. However, you should have to trait for increased range in general. Your numbers for that above are perfect imo.

Unfortunately, ANet would probably frown upon only one class having that range though. They would have a valid point if it weren’t for two factors:

a) Ranger base damage is already nerfed some because of their pets

b) The 30% arrow speed increase patch update we got would still not be as much of a factor with increased range. You can still sidestep(not dodge-roll) arrows at max range right now. Giving peeps more time(because of the distance) to avoid being hit seems fair enough. Besides…we’re supposed to be the distance damage dealers here, right folks?

The only part I disagree with is changing the ranged tiered-damage values. If they gave us more range and better crit chances, we should probably have something to balance that out. Keep this part the same.

2. Rapid fire could use a little buff somewhere. A stack of vulnerability per hit would be cool if

3. …you change Hunter’s Shot to apply a good bleed instead. As it stands now, LB’s don’t do any condition damage to speak of. It would be nice to have at least one damage-dealing condition on it.

4. No real change…maybe a 10% dmg buff. Although if LB range was increased, some of the values might need adjusting.

5. Barrage is fine

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

in Ranger

Posted by: GUFF.5692

GUFF.5692

I would not be happy if they reworked the longbow significantly. Most of the skills are well done. The only one that needs a major change is the auto attack skill. Re fire rate needs to be increased and the damage limitation needs to be taken away. Minor changes i would like to see are a faster cast time for rapid fire. I feel hunters shot, point blank shot and barrage are fine.

I think adding the extended longbow range to the piercing arrows trait could also be useful. Would also like to see better replacements for or buffed up opening strike minor traits. They are very bland and other classes have so much better minor traits for multiple trait lines.

Sarhaz [CDS]

I was a ranger before shortbow had 1200m range AND after it didn’t…

in Ranger

Posted by: Silverkung.9127

Silverkung.9127

Long-range-shot hmmm…just add some effect when stand still like 2valu per hit.
Or make every 4hit same targer will got some condition.
Far from ranger add more %DMG close form ranger less%DMG same rule.

rapid shot I need more number arrow in channel but same power per shot.
More be have some effect plus on stand still or moveing(ranger) or moveing(target) or stand still(target).

Hunter shot make it more like hunter hunt target.
effect : swiffness pet and cripple(2sec) targer.(10valu still here.)

Point blank shot.Make it more deadly when closer to ranger.
More close more %DMG.
Fire in 0-300range target will get lunch.
301-600 knockback.

Barrage it ok by itself.

(edited by Silverkung.9127)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Skill #1: Make it a solid damage number, and speed up the time between shots.
Give the longbow 1500 range, untraited.

That is all.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

For people that don’t realize, due to animation bugs, Long Range Shot’s fire rate is about 65-75% what it’s supposed to be. It’s also a problem on various other weapons such as the Thief’s Pistol’s Vital Shot.

That is the main thing making these weapons feel weak and is should be the first thing fixed.

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I’d like it if #4 did massive damage if the enemy was close (as in melee range) and knocked them back quite a bit. I’m talking maybe 300% damage or something. The #3, I WOULD love it if you could hold that down to charge up the shot, with max charge causing 5 stacks of vulnerability. In return though, you’d have to stand still to charge it (since you’d be aiming for the weakpoint). #2 is fine, #5 is fine, #1 just needs to be a little faster and better damage.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I don’t think #4 or #5 need changes, i like the idea behind #1, and like the vuln idea for Rapid Fire, personally i would rather see #3 apply lets say 5 stacks of bleeding and cripple than do the vuln (especially if the #2 applied vuln on hit instead)

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’d like it if #4 did massive damage if the enemy was close (as in melee range) and knocked them back quite a bit. I’m talking maybe 300% damage or something. The #3, I WOULD love it if you could hold that down to charge up the shot, with max charge causing 5 stacks of vulnerability. In return though, you’d have to stand still to charge it (since you’d be aiming for the weakpoint). #2 is fine, #5 is fine, #1 just needs to be a little faster and better damage.

Why only apply 5%? They should make it so it has 3 levels of charge, 1st is mediocre dmg, but still applys swiftness to the pet, can be cast on the run. lv 2 would do some pretty hefty damage, apply 10 stacks of vuln, full charge (lv 3) would do a TON of damage and apply 10 vuln and cripple. That being said it should take ~ 3-5 seconds to get to full charge, 1.5-2 seconds to get the second charge, and as said above first charge would be able to be fired on the run.

PS: All levels of charge would apply swiftness to the pet, higher lv charge would apply higher duration of swiftness.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

[quote=1115918;Fjandi.2516:]

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I agree it should be similar to warrior volley. Vulnerability will be a little too much, since we already have hunter’s shot.

Mmm a cripple would be really cool, but hunter’s shot is quite strong as it is imo (it gives our pet swift as well).

Damage is quite fine imo, a cripple is needed tho, is a cool idea and will boost the skill a bit.

Nah barrage is fine, i don’t want them to boost barrage dmg tbh, aoe is already annoying enough in this game. Cd is ok as well.

[/quote]

I agree that barrage is mostly fine, its cd is a bit too long imo. But I do agree the aoe in this game is a bit rediculous. I wouldnt mind if point blank had a cripple effect, I mean you just maimed him with an arrow at close range. I dont feel hunters shot is in a good place, its bland, I think adding a cripple would fix that, or just make its cd 5 secs with quick draw, that would allow us too use it often and stack vuln stacks incredibly well, then it would be useful. When I said my idea about rapid fire I meant or add vuln stacks, but Id much rather it be like a warriors volley. My LRS was my best idea imo, I really liked it, I think the 1500 range untraited was perfect to make it feel like a real LRS, I really think they should just make shortbow have 900 range untraited, not like 1200 range is really needed anyways. Also science has shown that arrows gain power when they hit their peak distance, and at point blank are strong but not at full power. I guess the reasoning for this is that the arrow gains speed as it goes and force, I do archery in RL and have noticed that my arrow has more piercing power at peak range than at close range. shrug Im obssessed.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I’m fine with all the skills except for 1,where i’d prefer to see a constant damage but increased crit chance for how far away you are.
As for all the damage increases you want,that would make the Ranger incredibly OP

I dont get your comment haha, the way you would like to see #1 is exactly the way I would, maybe you misread. I dont think damage increase would make us op at all, I dont really want a damage increase too #1 or 2, #3 is fine if they made it so it had a 5 sec cd or applied cripple, but the damage increase too that was more or less to give us a second damage option when rapid fire is on cd, #4 would have its damage increased OR apply cripple, so its not like they would just immediately buff all our damage skills, but it wouldnt be op if they did buff its damage by 150%, atm it only does about 2500 damage on squishies, 3k if lucky, doubling that would make it 6k-6500. Not op at all if you consider the fact that in a team fight you rarely use it if you are sniping.

to the OP

1. I like your range suggestions almost completely, even the crit chance idea. I have no idea why longbows and shortbows have the same range in this game. You shouldn’t have to “trait” for better range than a shortbow…it’s a longbow for cryin out loud. However, you should have to trait for increased range in general. Your numbers for that above are perfect imo.

Unfortunately, ANet would probably frown upon only one class having that range though. They would have a valid point if it weren’t for two factors:

a) Ranger base damage is already nerfed some because of their pets

b) The 30% arrow speed increase patch update we got would still not be as much of a factor with increased range. You can still sidestep(not dodge-roll) arrows at max range right now. Giving peeps more time(because of the distance) to avoid being hit seems fair enough. Besides…we’re supposed to be the distance damage dealers here, right folks?

The only part I disagree with is changing the ranged tiered-damage values. If they gave us more range and better crit chances, we should probably have something to balance that out. Keep this part the same.

2. Rapid fire could use a little buff somewhere. A stack of vulnerability per hit would be cool if

3. …you change Hunter’s Shot to apply a good bleed instead. As it stands now, LB’s don’t do any condition damage to speak of. It would be nice to have at least one damage-dealing condition on it.

4. No real change…maybe a 10% dmg buff. Although if LB range was increased, some of the values might need adjusting.

5. Barrage is fine

Problem with the current ranged values of LRS is that when melee gets on you, it becomes soo weak its not funny, and its attack speed is so slow, making it near useless when close range. Making its damage consistent across all ranges and only gaining crit chance the further you are would make it worth using at max range but not an absolute need. Also this was really the only skill Id like to have 1800 range when traited. Our longbow already goes too 1800 range because the arc in arrows, the way to fix this without making our range go to 2100 would be make longbows range untraited 1500, 1800 when traited, and increase projectile speed to that of bullets. I swear my rifle warrior feels like he only has 1200 range because the bullets travel so fast and straight.

As mentioned for rapid fire, Id be happy with it completely if it was like volley, 5 hits in 2.5 secs same damage. I wouldnt mind a bleed if it lasted like 20 secs and hunters short applied 5-10 stacks of bleeds, but I dont see the logic in that really, since hunters shot implies a precision strike that is meant to kill or maim so you can get the kill, so adding a cripple too it, or making its cd 5 secs would be the best logical change imo. Is my idea for barrage fine, or the current form of barrage fine? I personally am fine with its damage but not its cd. It needs a shorter cd since thats one of the few reasons longbow is good atm.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I would not be happy if they reworked the longbow significantly. Most of the skills are well done. The only one that needs a major change is the auto attack skill. Re fire rate needs to be increased and the damage limitation needs to be taken away. Minor changes i would like to see are a faster cast time for rapid fire. I feel hunters shot, point blank shot and barrage are fine.

I think adding the extended longbow range to the piercing arrows trait could also be useful. Would also like to see better replacements for or buffed up opening strike minor traits. They are very bland and other classes have so much better minor traits for multiple trait lines.

Maybe share your ideas on the attacks you would like to see changed? I personally would like them to rework the longbow, similar to my ideas or if any1 has any better ones then like that. Longbow atm just feels useless and boring. I do agree tho that piercing arrows should be merged with eagle eye or quick draw, like a warriors crack shot. but this is about weapon skills not traits, Id prefere it to stay that way, I will indulge you though this time, I would like to see opening strike have a 33% chance to reset when you crit that way we have a chance to keep it going. Or just make it so it resets after say 20 seconds.

300% would be a bit much unless they removed damage from other skills, I wouldnt like that, just double its damage and it would be a good damage option imo. Yea charge up shot was so fun to play with and actually not hard to use with the current pvp system, Id love one with longbow. Pretty much seems that everyone agrees rapid fire should mirror volley.

Thanks for your replies, Im loving the theory crafting

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Why only apply 5%? They should make it so it has 3 levels of charge, 1st is mediocre dmg, but still applys swiftness to the pet, can be cast on the run. lv 2 would do some pretty hefty damage, apply 10 stacks of vuln, full charge (lv 3) would do a TON of damage and apply 10 vuln and cripple. That being said it should take ~ 3-5 seconds to get to full charge, 1.5-2 seconds to get the second charge, and as said above first charge would be able to be fired on the run.

PS: All levels of charge would apply swiftness to the pet, higher lv charge would apply higher duration of swiftness.

3 secs would be the max Id be willing to go for charge up skills. Any longer than that and its not worth it unless it 1 shots everything.

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

300% would be a bit much unless they removed damage from other skills, I wouldnt like that, just double its damage and it would be a good damage option imo. Yea charge up shot was so fun to play with and actually not hard to use with the current pvp system, Id love one with longbow. Pretty much seems that everyone agrees rapid fire should mirror volley.

Or they could just up the cooldown time for #4 in response. a full 60 seconds seems like a good cooldown for that (I’m not fond of weapon skills having more than a minute cooldown personally).

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Or they could just up the cooldown time for #4 in response. a full 60 seconds seems like a good cooldown for that (I’m not fond of weapon skills having more than a minute cooldown personally).

The only way Id get on board with a 60 sec cd on point blank is if it did 10-14k damage. Other than that its not worth having such a long kitten cd on it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sera.9750

Sera.9750

I think the general consensus is hunters shot is relatively ok, barrage is fine as is ( love it…use it once its off Cd every time.. ), what we mostly agree on is the longbow auto attack needs some love still. For me personally the attack speed is a bit annoying but i think its designed like that on purpose. The shortbow peppers quick smaller damage shots while longbow is slow but powerful shots; a pretty generic tradeoff.

I do think the longbow auto attack could use some help elsewhere though…the range is fine ( hate having to trait for it but w/e.. ), but maybe add effects based on the range your firing from; or add a status effect in general.

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Problem with the current ranged values of LRS is that when melee gets on you, it becomes soo weak its not funny, and its attack speed is so slow, making it near useless when close range. Making its damage consistent across all ranges and only gaining crit chance the further you are would make it worth using at max range but not an absolute need. Also this was really the only skill Id like to have 1800 range when traited. Our longbow already goes too 1800 range because the arc in arrows, the way to fix this without making our range go to 2100 would be make longbows range untraited 1500, 1800 when traited, and increase projectile speed to that of bullets. I swear my rifle warrior feels like he only has 1200 range because the bullets travel so fast and straight.

As mentioned for rapid fire, Id be happy with it completely if it was like volley, 5 hits in 2.5 secs same damage. I wouldnt mind a bleed if it lasted like 20 secs and hunters short applied 5-10 stacks of bleeds, but I dont see the logic in that really, since hunters shot implies a precision strike that is meant to kill or maim so you can get the kill, so adding a cripple too it, or making its cd 5 secs would be the best logical change imo. Is my idea for barrage fine, or the current form of barrage fine? I personally am fine with its damage but not its cd. It needs a shorter cd since thats one of the few reasons longbow is good atm.

Well ya I agree with your ranged ideas. I just don’t think Longbow should be a viable close-range weapon. I mean, the knockback skill kind of hints at that…keep the dude away from you. If you must fight close-up, switch to either a melee weapon or the shortbow/axes.

Hunter’s Shot…I suppose I was expecting something similar to the GW1 skill. It was basically a slightly faster shot that applied a long bleed. Most other skills closely mimic their GW1 predecessor. At any rate, I still think there should be at least one skill that applies a damage condition. Even the Greatsword, which is an almost purely defensive/CC melee weapon(the Longbow being its offensive/CC ranged counterpart), has a nice bleed attack.

On a related note, it’s rather depressing Warriors get both peircing projectiles and better range in one trait. We have to go 2nd tier in 2 different traitlines to get that.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Well ya I agree with your ranged ideas. I just don’t think Longbow should be a viable close-range weapon. I mean, the knockback skill kind of hints at that…keep the dude away from you. If you must fight close-up, switch to either a melee weapon or the shortbow/axes.

Hunter’s Shot…I suppose I was expecting something similar to the GW1 skill. It was basically a slightly faster shot that applied a long bleed. Most other skills closely mimic their GW1 predecessor. At any rate, I still think there should be at least one skill that applies a damage condition. Even the Greatsword, which is an almost purely defensive/CC melee weapon(the Longbow being its offensive/CC ranged counterpart), has a nice bleed attack.

On a related note, it’s rather depressing Warriors get both peircing projectiles and better range in one trait. We have to go 2nd tier in 2 different traitlines to get that.

It is indeed, sadly we make due. Im finding less and less reasons to log on atm, but before I quit I will get my ranger maxed out for wvw gear wise and a quiver, just so I feel cool. After that if we are still in this sorry state Ill just cut my losses. I dont think longbow should be limited to long ranged combat only, it should be capable in close combat, and Im not saying you shouldnt have to swap out for a melee wep with a warrior bashing in ur head but you should atleast be able to hold your own for a bit, cant do that with the current state of LB.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

After playing the Wintersday pvp event as the Scout, I get this longing feeling that this was how the Ranger should have been from the start…

So if there was an option for Longbow changes, I’d love to see Point Blank Shot changed/upgraded to Sniper Shot by adding a ‘hold down for more damage’ secondary effect. So simply tapping it would result in the ability we have now, but holding it would function like the ‘Sniper Shot’ as we saw in the Wintersday pvp

So for me I’d love to see something like this in the patch notes:

• Point Blank Shot: Changed name to Sniper Shot and now has a secondary effect. If you choose to press and hold to channel the ability, it will fire one shot dealing massive damage.

Next to that, I’d love for a ‘Camouflage’ ability which could be relocated it to a signet; like this:

• Signet of the Hunt
    Active – Your pet becomes invisible (3s) and gain swiftness (10s).
    (which would also apply to you if you have Signet of the Beastmaster)

At least that would make Signet of the Hunt more useful because at present time the active ability is pretty worthless in my humble opinion.

But as this topic was regarding the Longbow, I’ll just say that I’d love to see the ‘Sniper Shot’ as a secondary effect to the current ‘Point Blank Shot’ mechanic.

Yet I personally wouldn’t mind it at all either if Jon would also remove the active ability on our current Signet of the Hunt and give us something similar to what we saw with the Wintersday Scout ability (invisibility/swiftness).

At present time we have absolutely no abilities to disengage from a fight or use any real opener to engage in a fight. Camouflage would provide both as a means to escape or as an opener to start one.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Well Im trying to keep this thread focused soley on longbow and nothing else. But I wish they would remove signet of the beastmaster and just make signets affect us regardless. Wintersday scout was amazing, idk what possessed anet to make something that awesome because now I can barely stand my ranger. Honestly if it wasnt for the bow animations/skins and the fact Im obssessed with archery Id have quit awhile ago.

in Ranger

Einlanzer.1627

I think the general consensus is hunters shot is relatively ok, barrage is fine as is ( love it…use it once its off Cd every time.. ), what we mostly agree on is the longbow auto attack needs some love still. For me personally the attack speed is a bit annoying but i think its designed like that on purpose.

It isn’t designed that way on purpose, I can promise you. It’s actually an animation bug that Anet seems oblivious about, if you compare the activation speeds to the actual recast speeds of various weapons you’ll see that it’s inconsistent, and the damage on many ranged #1 skills is very low. The only exception is rifles, and it’s easy to see why:

Rifle – .75 activation speed, .8 recast
Pistol – .50 activation speed, .8 recast
Longbow- .75 activation speed, 1.2 recast
Staff – .75-1 activation speed, 1.2 recast (this is why Fire is stronger than other elements for Elementalist Staff, the others are supposed to be faster but aren’t).

It’s obvious the skills’ damage specs were balanced around their activation speeds and not around their total recast speeds. In short, it is clearly a bug. Either the skills were designed improperly or there was an oversight with how animations interact with autoattacks. I think the latter is more likely, and it needs to be fixed more desperately than almost anything else in the game.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

in Ranger

Posted by: Rannulf.9417

Rannulf.9417

One of the problems with LB is that in order for rangers to do high damage the enemy have to be max distance, i get it Anet wanted the LB to be a long range dps weapon, make it so that the damage doesn’t scale with the distance, make it that whatever damage you do at 1200 we do it at melee range, the cast time is ok, make it a longer distance 1800 would be more awesome and an ideal weapon for WvW, right now the SB out performs the LB in every aspect, even the range is 1200 and unless if you spec the LB the max distance is gonna be 1200.

in Ranger

Einlanzer.1627

One of the problems with LB is that in order for rangers to do high damage the enemy have to be max distance, i get it Anet wanted the LB to be a long range dps weapon, make it so that the damage doesn’t scale with the distance, make it that whatever damage you do at 1200 we do it at melee range, the cast time is ok, make it a longer distance 1800 would be more awesome and an ideal weapon for WvW, right now the SB out performs the LB in every aspect, even the range is 1200 and unless if you spec the LB the max distance is gonna be 1200.

The problem though is that the staggered damage by range is not a bug, for good or ill it’s working as intended. The attack speed of Long Range Shot however, is not, and it needs to be fixed first and foremost.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

At this point I think Ive given up on the idea of having an archer in gw2 that feels like an archer and doesnt need a pet, lvling rifle warrior is the next best thing. I really just wish they would allow me to transmute bow skins to my rifle.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rannulf.9417

Rannulf.9417

Another problem as a whole is that (this is in WvW) a lot of class can dish out ALOT of damage in a matter of seconds, warrior, thief, mesmer, guardians etcc and a fast pace game like this needs pet that can hit moving targets without being dead half of the time, we need weapons that does DAMAGE and doesn’t have silly animations that stop them from doing it. Most mmos i’ve played ranger can burst a target within seconds, granted they didn’t have pets but our pets can’t even hit moving targets or are too slow, they need to add a speed boost to pets without us needing to traits it. We need a damage boost on every kittening weapons, same goes for Necros and Engie. These classes are left in the dust because of sucky damage in WvW (sPvP) is another matter. GW2 pvp is fun and fast pace, by the time you take the time to summon a torrent or applying bleeds you’re already dead. Again ranger needs a damage boost and animations need to work faster.

(edited by Rannulf.9417)

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Another problem as a whole is that (this is in WvW) a lot of class can dish out ALOT of damage in a matter of seconds, warrior, thief, mesmer, guardians etcc and a fast pace game like this needs pet that can hit moving target without being dead half of the time, we need weapons that does DAMAGE and doesn’t have silly animations thats top them from doing it. Most mmos i’ve played ranger can burst a target within seconds, granted they didn’t have pets but our pets can’t even hit moving targets or are too slow, they need to add a speed boost to pets without us needing to traits it. We need a damage boost on every kittening weapons, same goes for Necros and Engie. These classes are left in the dust because of sucky damage in WvW (sPvP) is another matter. GW2 pvp is fun and fast pace, by the time you take the time to summon a torrent or applying bleeds you’re already dead. Again ranger needs a damage boost and animations need to work faster.

Ranger needs alot of things, one being the option to perma stow pet with a damage buff, alot of people dont want this including anet, but its stupid to have a gimped mechanic, cant climb walls, cant survive an aoe unless traited, accounts for too much of our damage. They could just make a new class dedicated to archery with melee as an option but not its main focus, call it….scout.

in Ranger

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

Ranger needs alot of things, one being the option to perma stow pet with a damage buff.

Most of the ideas I’ve read sound like they’d make things worse. This one however sounds like the biggest improvement to ranger ever (especially for dungeons and WvW).

edit: I realized my enthusiasm read like sarcasm. It’s not. Ditch pets for a damage buff.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Ranger needs alot of things, one being the option to perma stow pet with a damage buff.

Most of the ideas I’ve read sound like they’d make things worse. This one however sounds like the biggest improvement to ranger ever (especially for dungeons and WvW).

edit: I realized my enthusiasm read like sarcasm. It’s not. Ditch pets for a damage buff.

Im with you on that one, I think this one would make me feel more like an archer and less like a kitten pet babysitter. I personally think most of the ideas I posted for longbow would make the ranger much better without being op. I mean nothing really giving us damage buff but damage options. Sadly at this point, seems Im waiting for a different game to get my archery fix from somewhere, shame, GW2 graphics and gameplay is amazing. If only they moved faster in implimenting what alot of customers want.

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Hunter’s Shot is the best attack the Longbow has, don’t remove it! 10 stacks of vulnerability and pet swiftness is great pet synergy and general group synergy as well.

If something has to be removed for a “sniper shot” then remove #2. #2 is already purely a damage-dealing option, so it’d make sense to remove it for a different damage dealing option, rather than removing the support aspects of Hunter’s Shot for a second pure-damage option.

I like the idea of #4 doing big damage to melee-range enemies. You’re already putting yourself at a major disadvantage letting an enemy get that close if you’re using Longbow, so give a little something to compensate would be nice. Not sure about a bigger knockback though, it already has a rather signifigant blowout and any more would start to get a bit ridiculous I think. Maybe lenghten the knockdown a bit (so it’d be more like Elementalist Dagger Air 5, where they lie on the ground a couple seconds after being thrown back) so that they can’t get right back on you as fast or something, though.

Definately hope they fix the speed of Longbow 1. Its way too slow ATM, whether its a design choice or a bug.

in Ranger

MeGaZlo.9516

I would agree on the ability to stow pet even without damage buff. Just give NORMAL damage to ranger. And do not tell me stories about the fact that Ranger:
a) have normal damage, just have no burst – it’s lies and nonsense
b) ranger’s damage compares to other by pet – it is not so
c) ranger do not need damage, ranger deff class type – it is absolute heresy
Many other classes, having several times more mobility are able to grant one stroke crits with 8k, 10k, 15k damage, while having more damage with AA and higher survival rate. All I see in ranger now – is class for those who like “green” theme. With a pitiful damage, stupid mechanics, and half of absolute kitten utility.

I am silent, that most of the weapons is totally boring compared to other classes. Playing other classes I see action RPG. Playing rangers I see unfinished warcraft.
If devs will improve longvow by 50% – even this will not correct the ranger’s problems

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I personally want more to hunters shot, maybe 20 secs swiftness for pet and player, and have it apply cripple + vuln, that might make it worth a kitten Atm the best attack imo is point blank and barrage. I really hope anet takes a look at these, Id like to stick around till elder scrolls online is released.