Lord Helmos Presents: RANGER 2.0

in Ranger

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

Time to fix this class. Let’s get started:

PETS:

I implemented a new system for pets. Gone is the old POS system that gave you almost zero customization for pets. Under my system all pets will start with the exact same base stats. Rangers will be given 4 new equipment slots, one for each pet (2 land, 2 sea). These equipment slots allow players to equip “Pet Collars.” These pet collars will further define the stats of the pets based on popular weapon prefixes.

For example, a Dire pet collar will greatly increase a pets Condition Damage (Primary), Vitality, and Toughness. This will allow rangers to further customize their pets. In order for Rangers to keep up with the power creep of ascended gear, pet collars will come in rarities that range up to legendary. The legendary collar will allow the player to freely switch stats just like a normal legendary weapon and will also have the effect of turning all the pets into ghost versions (ghost shark? hell yes).

Additionally, pets will also gain stats for each point put into ranger trait trees. For example, rangers putting points into Wilderness Survival will passively add toughness and condition damage to their pet’s stats. This allows for further customization. In Beast Mastery, aside from adding healing power to the pet, each point of beast mastery will add an additional 1 movement speed to the pet. At 30 BM, the pet will have a permenant 30 speed boost at all times.

This system allows a ranger to build condition pets to support condition builds. No longer will pets be taking up bleed spots with 20dmg bleeds. Pets can also be built against the specialization of the player, such as a glass ranger building a tanky or condition damage based pet. Because trait points are factored into the pet’s final stats along with the collar, the pet will always have a portion of its master’s stats reflect unto itself.

So why these changes? The ranger is designed to be reliant on the pet, but only one trait tree supports the pet. Without going full BM, the pet is garbage. Because the pet is so symbiotic with the ranger, no matter how the ranger builds the pet SHOULD ALWAYS BE USEFUL.

This system is designed to do that, it is also designed to give players a way to boost their pet to keep up with the power creep of gear through collars.

Collars can be found as drops and also forged by Huntsman crafters.

PET F2s:

Pet F2s will now override ANY action the pet is performing to immediately activate. Any interrupted skill goes on a short ICD just like when a player dodge cancels their own skills.

TRAITS:

Some ranger traits are a mess. Let’s fix them up, especially since we are adding a new pet system. Here we go:

Agility Training:
Since BM is adding speed to the pet passively, I’m changing the functionality of this skill. Now each time the ranger swaps pets, the next time the master orders the pet to attack the pet will shadow step to the enemy, the next time the pet is recalled it shadow steps back to the master. Each trigger of this ability adds one attack step and one return step. 900m range. If used out of range the pet will run the distance then shadow step to the location when within 900m. 25s internal CD. A debuff indicator will apear once used to tell the ranger when the proc is recharged. This gives players the ability to quickly get their pet in and out of areas.

Expertise Training:
Now merged with Rending Attacks, which will be changed. Expertise Training now adds X condition damage to the pet stats and the pet will bleed on normal attack crits.

Compassion Training:
With compassion training the F2 attack on any pet will now cause an AOE heal that scales off pet healing power.

Stability Training, Vigorious Training, Intimidation Training:
Now not linked to pet types and will work on any pet.

Rending Attacks:
Functionality changed, now causes all pet F2s to cause the pet to pulse with physical aoe damage similiar to the old Guildwars 1 zealot’s fire.

(CONT)

(edited by lordhelmos.7623)

in Ranger

lordhelmos.7623

WEAPON SKILLS:

Greatsword:

Swoop:
Animation redesigned. The animation is now identical to Dante’s stinger from devil may cry. It is one fluid animation ending with a thrust. This is to prevent the skill from rooting and getting stuck due to the two part animation it currently has.

Counter Attack:
Counter attack’s animation is changed. When hit the ranger will no longer self root and will now perform an evasive slash that uses the same animation as the slash at the end of the greatsword autoattack chain. This attack will have the current knockback effect that the kick has linked to it instead. This is a QoL change that allows the ranger to move fluidly while countering. After striking with the counter attack, the ranger’s next command to send the pet to attack will teleport the pet up to 900m to the target. This allows the ranger to punish the enemy by immediately siccing the pet on them after they are knocked back.

Crippling Throw (chained from counter attack):
Now adds fury for X seconds to the ranger.

Maul:
Blast finisher, this was a long time coming.

Longbow:

Point-Blank Shot:
Now causes the pet’s next attack to immobilize the enemy for 1 seconds if it hits. You know this is a good idea.

Dagger:

Crippling Dagger:
Dagger now flies straight like a dart, projectile speed increased by 50%.

SLOT SKILLS:

Heal as One:
Now removes a condition from you and your pet, yay!

Lightning Reflexes:
Recharges the weapon swap, allowing the ranger to come out of the roll with a ranged weapon.

Signet of the Wild:
Now allows players to interact with objects and stomp while enlarged through signet of the beastmaster.

RANGER 1 HAND SWORD:

This gets its own section, I’m redesigning this POS:

SKILL 1: Auto-Attack Chain:
No longer roots the ranger, changed to use the same animations as the mesmer sword. The third strike grants might to the pet.

SKILL 2: Angry Bees:
This skill causes a small beehive to pop up like a bouncing betty grenade up to 600m from the ranger. The ranger then teleports to the beehive and slashes it with the sword, causes a swarm of bees to flood in a small area similar to the underwater speargun skill feeding frenzy. The bees cripple enemies and deal damage. There is a slight delay as the beehive pops up, allowing enemies to react to it. The ranger can move while using this skill. The purpose of this skill is to give the ranger a reliable way of controlling distance between him and the enemy using a short range teleport.

SKILL 3: Firefly > Manticore Sting:
This is a chain attack. The first bit causes the ranger to reflect light from his blade, instantly blinding a single target for 5 seconds. The second bit (Manticore Sting) is an evasive thrust that sends the ranger forward with a short evade about 200m to stab at the enemy, causing damage and poison. This is the ranger’s evasive dueling skill on the sword. The ranger can blind one target, then quickly swap and evade + stab another.

RANGER: FIXED

in Ranger

Posted by: Blind Jimmy.1634

Blind Jimmy.1634

I clicked on this thread expecting all the cliche ranger redesigns of making the pet optional, magically fixing the pet AI, making longbow able to easily kill from 1200 without the other guy having a chance, etc.

Not only does it contain none of those, it contains some legitimately neat ideas that by and large do not seem inherently overpowered. +1 to you, good sir!

(The new point blank shot, though awesome, may be a bit too much… all other knockback skills on weapons seem void of status effects, and a knockback + delayed immob courtesy of the pet running up afterwards is particularly brutal).

in Ranger

lordhelmos.7623

I clicked on this thread expecting all the cliche ranger redesigns of making the pet optional, magically fixing the pet AI, making longbow able to easily kill from 1200 without the other guy having a chance, etc.

Not only does it contain none of those, it contains some legitimately neat ideas that by and large do not seem inherently overpowered. +1 to you, good sir!

(The new point blank shot, though awesome, may be a bit too much… all other knockback skills on weapons seem void of status effects, and a knockback + delayed immob courtesy of the pet running up afterwards is particularly brutal).

I actually was wondering about this, I balanced it by nerfing the immob duration down from 2s to 1s. The longbow needs some sort of root to help control targets and allow the ranger to recover. This 1s allows the ranger to immob the target after a push back then use hunter’s shot to go into stealth to reposition. I think that this will really help with the ranger’s keep away game.

in Ranger

Posted by: Blind Jimmy.1634

Blind Jimmy.1634

I actually was wondering about this, I balanced it by nerfing the immob duration down from 2s to 1s. The longbow needs some sort of root to help control targets and allow the ranger to recover. This 1s allows the ranger to immob the target after a push back then use hunter’s shot to go into stealth to reposition. I think that this will really help with the ranger’s keep away game.

Another option (which I’m not sure if the game engine could handle or not) could be to make it so that at under 300 range it becomes a Launch instead of just a Knockback.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mardermann.7468

Mardermann.7468

salute to you and other very crafty rangers…
you came up with a very good petsystem
but Anet is stuck with their borked one, so dont think they will change anything…

+1 and very well done Lordhelmos

in Ranger

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

I like pretty much everything, other than the collars. I don’t want to have to invest in even more gear, which I expect will be expensive. I especially don’t want to feel like I need to get a legendary collar.

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

in Ranger

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

I like pretty much everything, other than the collars. I don’t want to have to invest in even more gear, which I expect will be expensive. I especially don’t want to feel like I need to get a legendary collar.

Depends how the “collar” would be made. But i honestly don’t see a problem if it would cost the same as a regular accessory for the character. Laurels, Guild Commendations, Gold, WvW badges, Dungeon tokens… Not a real deal actually.

+1 for the ideas! Pet system needs a rework definitively!

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

in Ranger

Posted by: Merill al Ghuraab.1209

Merill al Ghuraab.1209

Great ideas, Helmos. Not that they aren’t without faults that would need some smoothing out, but like an earlier poster, I’m glad you aren’t set on getting rid of pets. They’re part of the profession—even the profession icon is a paw print.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vaxx.3178

Vaxx.3178

Love the ideas. The Collars make sense. I would love to spend Karma, or my Laurels on something for the pet. Makes sense.

Now, if Anet would actually take these into consideration…..that’s the real battle.

in Ranger

Posted by: Hedgehog in the fog.1053

Hedgehog in the fog.1053

Nice. What about spirits? I personally love the idea of them, just the way they are implemented is rough. What I was thinking the other day was:

Frost Spirit: The rangers beast channels the spirit of frost, giving allies a 35% chance of causing 15% bonus damage.

etc.

So, increase the effectiveness slightly, but only allow one spirit to be channeled at a time.

This would work of your suggestions of making pets more survivable, also making spirits more so as well.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dhunis.9072

Dhunis.9072

Now we just have to pray Anet decides to hire lordhelmos for part-time job as ranger balancer.

Ranked Arenas a.k.a. the New Hotjoin

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Bout as likely to happen as perma-stow. It’d add more depth to a broken mechanic, so yeah, would be nice I guess.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Now we just have to pray Anet decides to hire lordhelmos for part-time job as ranger balancer.

I lol’d…

No need. Ranger is fine!
They will hire 4 more devs to help balance the warrior thou

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

in Ranger

Hedgehog in the fog.1053

Just wanted to jump in and say thanks for keeping things constructive!
The idea right now is to see how the current changes impact the meta, and then do another set of balance in an upcoming patch.
The trait facts were a lot of work, but the clarity they give you guys is VERY good for you. So we wanted to see if that would shake up trait builds at all in order to see how you guys adjusted. Once THAT settles, we want to make balance changes based off the meta at that time. We didn’t want to change all the trait facts and also add in a lot of balance changes on top of it.
We still did a lot of balance stuff, but we were careful not to go overboard with this patch. Just like we learned w/ the Warrior a few updates back, sometimes the meta can undergo drastic changes even if we do VERY little to impact the balance.
We’re planning on doing another round of updates to traits for every class (either changing #‘s, shifting tiers around to make more builds viable, or doing trait reworks), and we also have our eye on a few “apex” builds. But, again we don’t want to shave those too much.
Thanks again for the thoughts and feedback!
Chap + the balance tam

Just keep trying man. They’re still looking to do updates once the dusts settles. They apparently want to see what the current changes make to the game, so to rangers…none.

Keep up the visibility!

in Ranger

Posted by: Kath.8957

Kath.8957

+1

Heck yeah. Is this 15 chars yet?

[w**w] Consider this my official petition for more Mimics in games. [w**w]

in Ranger

Posted by: Heiltdo.2891

Heiltdo.2891

Who do i need to pay to get this man in charge of Rangers?

Very good ideas you have there, they sound fair and practical.

Really liked what you did with lightning reflexes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Nicely done. Although longer cripple instead of Immobilize would be greater by far for PBS. Still voting for AA range requirement depeted, period and moving Signet of Beastmaster trait to BM tree, giving us Zephyr back.
Btw, L. Reflex needs to rather remove movement imparing effects than recharging weapon swap
Overall, nice ideas, may couple with my Pet Command system ^^

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I like the Pet ideas. The weapon ideas need some work though. Also, a Legendary Collar that turns Canines into a Mistfire Wolf, complete with the armor it wears. That would be AWESOME!!!

also, ideas…

(1) Change Master’s Bond to also increase Secondary attributes on kill, that increases Condition Damage and Healing Power by 8 per kill, to a max. of 25 stacks like how it affects primary attributes right now (power, precision, toughness, vitality). Maybe even increae Critical damage, Condition Duration and Boon duration too (+1% per kill?). This will make the trait all around more useful.

I would also suggest that the trait be fixed so your active pet doesn’t lose all its stacks when going in and out of water, It only gets transferred to your active aquatic pet. This will make the trait useful in areas with alot of water areas (like, everywhere in Orr, and Frostgorge Sound).

(2) you messed up on Pet’s Prowess. That trait increases Pet’s Critical damage by 30%. That’s still a useful trait, and we don’t need it changed. What you want to change is Agility Training. (also, shadow stepping is kind of the Thief’s thing. I would rather Agility Training give the pet a 3/4 second evade whenever you dodge, but, that’s probably just me!)

(3) Pets still need to have their 71% extra health because of the lack of an armor stat or evade. Keep That, or give them defense like players have that adds together with toughness to make the armor stat, instead of just toughness. Pets still have their own skills and attack speeds, so maybe pets can have their own armor values as well that gets added with their toughness (light, medium, or heavy, just like players). Having more armor instead of health would also make it easier to heal them.

in Ranger

Posted by: felixdacat.3804

felixdacat.3804

You had me with your opening sentence! Not sure exactly how I feel about the collars, but the ideas you’ve come up with are definitely worth entertaining. I’m with you that our class mechanic should always be useful (instead of a burden) and these ideas go a long way to make that happen.

+1 for the good ideas, hope to see more of them!

in Ranger

lordhelmos.7623

I like the Pet ideas. The weapon ideas need some work though. Also, a Legendary Collar that turns Canines into a Mistfire Wolf, complete with the armor it wears. That would be AWESOME!!!

also, ideas…

(1) Change Master’s Bond to also increase Secondary attributes on kill, that increases Condition Damage and Healing Power by 8 per kill, to a max. of 25 stacks like how it affects primary attributes right now (power, precision, toughness, vitality). Maybe even increae Critical damage, Condition Duration and Boon duration too (+1% per kill?). This will make the trait all around more useful.

I would also suggest that the trait be fixed so your active pet doesn’t lose all its stacks when going in and out of water, It only gets transferred to your active aquatic pet. This will make the trait useful in areas with alot of water areas (like, everywhere in Orr, and Frostgorge Sound).

(2) you messed up on Pet’s Prowess. That trait increases Pet’s Critical damage by 30%. That’s still a useful trait, and we don’t need it changed. What you want to change is Agility Training. (also, shadow stepping is kind of the Thief’s thing. I would rather Agility Training give the pet a 3/4 second evade whenever you dodge, but, that’s probably just me!)

(3) Pets still need to have their 71% extra health because of the lack of an armor stat or evade. Keep That, or give them defense like players have that adds together with toughness to make the armor stat, instead of just toughness. Pets still have their own skills and attack speeds, so maybe pets can have their own armor values as well that gets added with their toughness (light, medium, or heavy, just like players). Having more armor instead of health would also make it easier to heal them.

Thanks for the correction, Agility Training is what I was targeting. Also pets would keep their HP boost for PvE with this system or would have decreased AoE damage done to them (which is what most mmos use to balance pets).

I like the master’s bond idea. I think if it was a flat damage increase that wasn’t tied to stats it might work as well.

Another idea would be to scrap the skill and replace it with something new and instead allow rangers to slot sigils on their pet collars.

in Ranger

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I suggested this very same “collar” idea a few months back and people flamed me for it. I dont see the big deal in getting one or two more pieces of gear… Warriors can use almost every weapon so they have to get more weapons, an engineer can use a rifle pistol and shield… I mean… come on

in Ranger

Posted by: UnawarePolarBear.9502

UnawarePolarBear.9502

Unique thoughtful ideas, that will surely be ignored.

I love it though, it seems as if you’ve addressed many of the complaints by simplifying current systems, and redoing many others.

It’s as if you’ve solved the problem by not spamming the same suggestion over and over again (woah.)

Nice job.

in Ranger

Posted by: Myzaky.4962

Myzaky.4962

Hire this man and give him a cookie!!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Otherwise great suggestion but one thing though, Lightning reflexes should remove cripple/chill/immobilize.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I think bonus movement speed is kind of a weird thing to have as a trait reward. IMO, change it to F2 recharge speed.

Really like the idea of pet collars.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Ranger

Posted by: Overthrust.2659

Overthrust.2659

Sigh.. If only Anet admits they have a horrible pet system and redesign the whole thing even more with the new ascended gear making pets more useless, but we all know they are too proud and stubborn the flaw of almost all game designers.
Anyway good jo with your ideas, I love everything except the sword 2 I like they way it is now gives an impressive escape mechanic.

The Ranger would be nerfed every time because that is the law of Tyria.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Sigh.. If only Anet admits they have a horrible pet system and redesign the whole thing even more with the new ascended gear making pets more useless, but we all know they are too proud and stubborn the flaw of almost all game designers.
Anyway good jo with your ideas, I love everything except the sword 2 I like they way it is now gives an impressive escape mechanic.

Its not that Anet is Too proud or Stubborn to redesign the whole thing. Its that in order to redesign an entire Profession, they have to put out massive resources in order to reprogram everything involved with the Ranger, then they have to spend months just balancing the new and improved profession with the seven others in PvP, and with everything in the rest of the game. They also have to take every single living story update into acount during that period (lets call it six months), and Anet hasn’t even started work on Living Story six months from now.

What I myself am most disappointed in is how the class plays, not necessarily how effective they are in the game. I’m not only disappointed in how Ranger pets act currently, but other than the fact that Rangers can tell their pet when to attack and run away, I see absolutely zero difference between them, and a Necromancer’s minions, or summons from other professions. For the fact that Pets are supposed to be the Ranger’s Class Mechanic, that is literally half of the class, that lack of distinction between pets and other minions is not a good thing. Its a terrible thing.

I am also not going to be too optimistic that it will get improved at any point in the near future.

I’m not saying it’ll never happen. In online games, Classes get not just balanced, but completely redesigned after release all the time. You can look at almost any MMO as an example. The only thing we as players can hope to do until Anet starts work on improving the Ranger is to keep these suggestions comming, and make sure we are vocal (but not outright disrespectful) about what we hate about the Ranger and what we want improved, and new stuff we want to see.

in Ranger

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

Very good post lordhelmos.7623, bravo !

I wouls also boost a little bit the short bow

Poison volley —> Poison cloud ! 180 radius from the target, it lasts 3 seconds, Combo field: poison.

Quick shot —> boost it up a little, maybe 5 seconds of swiftness ? or 3 seconds of vigor, and maybe boost the jump just a little bit.

Concussion shot —> daze the target for 2 seconds by interrupting a skill ( not a simple auto attack ).

in Ranger

Hedgehog in the fog.1053

Replace opening shot vulnerability with Quickness.

Increase in damage, and gives long bow more viability (as it gets rebooted with stealth)

in Ranger

Posted by: mzt.3270

mzt.3270

I lol’d…

No need. Ranger is fine!
They will hire 4 more devs to help balance the warrior thou

^^ This and +1 to lordhelmos. Anet… hire this man

Happiness is finding an Omnomberry in your Grumble Cake

in Ranger

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Some excellent stuff you got there. Kudos.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

actually, i’d rather have the sword #3 become a “combo” skill like that of thief.

Sword + Axe = Debilitating Throw → Rapier Sting
“Throw your axe with mighty force at the enemy, burying it into their flesh, knocking them back 120 and applying torment”
“Leap to your enemy and deliver a powerful thrust that does critical damage” (100% crit chance strike)

Sword + Torch = Blinding flurry
“Blind the enemy and unleash a flurry of strikes” (X second blind, 8 rapid strikes. Similar to mesmer sword attack)

Sword + Dagger = Venomous Parry
“Parry the next incoming melee attack and deliver a poisonous counterblow” (heavy poison damage for X seconds)

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU