Main Hand Sword (Just for PvE)

in Ranger

Posted by: lightning.8039

lightning.8039

Hello, here are my thoughts on the sword:

“I feel that sword mainhand on ranger is not as fun as I would like it to be. How do you feel about this mechanic, and are there any plans to address sword mainhand on ranger to improve playability based on my perception that it’s not fun?”

I more or less copied and pasted that quote from the Dev thread.

I am usually find myself running dungeons or doing Fractals on Ranger, and being the state of the game, melee damage is far superior in these instances thus I am using sword. I would love to keep using the sword for the DPS weapon but I just find myself having issues in some areas with it, which I shall list some.

Also I generally think that since it’s an auto attack… turning off auto attack just to use your basic weapon’s attack is uncool

Paths I don’t talk about I generally don’t find myself very experienced in. Thus I won’t mention them

Dungeons:
AC:
-Path 1:
Howling King, well not really the Howling King himself, but rather if your group doesn’t kill him fast enough and then all the adds come running in at your. It’s rather difficult to dodge the leaping gravelings when you are continually leaping at the boss. (Generally doesn’t happen to me since I usually kill him fast enough but I know this is a problem for PuG’s)
The burrow killing part. I mean those little gravelings stacking lots of bleeds on you isn’t very fun, but being a ranger, you aren’t really at the liberty at moving around seeing as you are leaping and kicking the burrow in essence “rooting” you
-Path 2:
Ghost Eater, this boss is kinda bad when you are trying to run around dodging the aoe circles and “wave” like attack (dunno what it’s called) when you are sitting leaping at the boss, again kiting around to avoid these attacks can be hard, and yes you can use sword 3, but once it’s used you have 15 seconds of dealing with kiting issues again. Also I don’t think axe 5 works on his projectiles, or maybe i’m using it wrong
-Path 3:
Colossus Rumblus (or whatever his name is), his auto attacks hurt. We all know it, you can go in, Serpent Strike the first attack, hopefully time sword #2 properly to dodge a second, and if you have an offhand dagger you can use 4 to dodge a third, but then what? you are back to leaping into his powerful attacks taking massive damage. Even if you sit in a full PTV set of gear and try to facetank, he’s gonna hurt.
CM:
-Path 1:
Frost is killer if you are too busy leaping into him and being unable to kite around him.
-Path 2:
Necro boss (whatever his name is), you are leaping into his aoe fields which are killer
-Path 3: The very first boss with his shotgun or whatever it might be called, kiting in general around him is difficult with the speed at which he fires at you, and if you get yourself caught leaping while he shoots, well it’s kinda over from there until he switches aggro

iheartlightning (ranger) DnT
“…but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.”
-Benjamin Franklin

in Ranger

lightning.8039

TA:
-Up path:
The first Champion wurm, again with the issues of kiting around, it’s rather difficult to get out of the aoe circles when you are just leaping right back into them
The ranger lady: (When fighting her in her room) the general method for this boss is to max melee range her so she doesn’t move around too much. Well hello to ranger, seeing as you are constantly leaping into her that doesn’t really happen to much, and then she usually runs behind an egg and then, oh no, you leaped into her which leaps you into an egg.
-Forward path:
Same Champion wurm problem
Leurant is killer. We all know it, face tanking him, awful idea, continuously leaping into his attacks? also a bad idea #guiltyranger
SE: you know actually most of the bosses are fine in SE assuming you have a team using full reflects, last boss on path 1 can be sort of annoying, but her aoe tell gives you a relatively long time to react so it’s not that bad.
CoF:
-Path 1:
The acolyte room, well this isn’t so much a boss but, if you are sitting leaping into an acolyte, chances are there are like 4 other mobs ready to cc you… well you can’t dodge while leaping. dead ranger. (I’ve been using axe #4 from a distance to kill the acolytes and it usually ones shots with full zerk gear and some might from Jungle stalker pet and assuming axe crits both ways)
-Path 2:
Oh my gosh, the assassin room… This room, unless your team specifically assigns you to only kill the assassin, i feel almost useless in here. I hit a mob like once and it usually dies just from team aoes, and then there goes my ranger flying away in some arbitrary direction just from the auto attack. you are constantly flying around the room just with the way the mobs are running everywhere and alwkej;lje. That room is just challenging on a ranger.
Also I don’t think it’s possible to melee the final boss in path 2… er the rock, once you stand in the raised spot and you hit once, you immediately go into a kick putting you off the platformish thing.

COE:
Well just alpha in general, I have to turn off auto attack on this boss or i find myself in a downed state most of the time, which obviously nobody wants.

HotW:
Path 1:
The Butcher: once he starts spinning, and you’re leaping into him… well I think you know the rest.

-Benjamin Franklin

in Ranger

lightning.8039

Arah:
So for Starters, lupi can be tough to melee on a ranger, especially since his tell time for his phase 1 kick is nearly instant, dodge with the sword almost feels like luck if you have auto on. Also the usual strategy for phase 3 is to not move around so much so he won’t sit and bubble your team. Well… ranger auto is forced moving so unless he’s up against the wall, I find the sword rather sub optimal
Path 1:
The ooze: lol
The Crystalline entities: there are like 9 of these guys pounding you, sword again makes strafing around to kill them sort of difficult if not impossible (I take a bear and use protect me since pets do nothing there anyway)
Path 2:
Belka: When she teleports and you are sitting there autoing chances are you are going to leap right onto a fire barrel and take unnecessary damage because your attack leaps you to where ever she goes.
Brie: You constantly have those aoe circles, but if you’re sitting there leaping into her moving around is kind of tough to avoid said circles
Path 3:
The first two bosses can be rather annoying when you are trying to move around the hammer guy but are busy leaping into him. Although i do like being able to use sword 2/3 and dagger 4 while immobilized to dodge the hammer.
Path 4:
Balthazaar boss: well you are leaping, and then he spins, and then yeah
Melandru: I don’t know very many people that melee this guy so nvm

Fractals: Well there’s a lot in here but I will go over some…
Swamp:
Mossman, mossman just… is not very easy on a melee ranger (nor other classes in unorganized groups)
Bloomhunger is only really annoying since you always have to try to stay behind him, but my movement around bosses feels hindered since i’m leaping half the time.
IceBlind or whatever:
The first bonfire area, you are trying to kite around and not die usually, but if you leaping right into the attacks then good luck.
Cliffside:
The archdiviner, on top and bottom really. He already hits like a truck, the rest of the story tells itself.
The chest seal. So general strategies for this on lower fractal levels <39, is to stack right under his nose and bring the mobs to you. Well if you are using a sword, you are going to be kicking the mob out of melee range and then just make that part a hassle
Dredge:
The Powersuit is pretty hard to avoid with sword since you are leaping into him
Aetherblade:
The final “boss” room is pretty hard to melee the elites when you are trying to keep them out of the static fields by walking backward usually, but this won’t happen when you are kicking them into it
Molten Duo: well mostly the berserker, you straight up can’t jump while sword autoing.
Mai Trinn: This boss is challenging enough, but if you are leaping into her swinging sword and quick aoes, the damage you take is very significant.

Well that’s all I can think of on the spot I’m sure there are many many more

Quoting from what I have above to the Dev’s: “are there any plans to address sword mainhand on ranger to improve playability based on my perception that it’s not fun?”

Or maybe I am just a bad player

-Benjamin Franklin

in Ranger

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

No point posting this here.

No dev will ever see it as long as it’s not in the sPvP or living world forums.

But I do agree that there needs to be some changes to make the sword less frustrating to use outside of pvp.

in Ranger

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

well if sword is actualy this bad in pve why are people even using it in the first place. While i do agree we could rework sword mechanics to make it more pve friendly they could start by increasing the damage of all other ranger weapon so to make sword not so much of an obvious choice to the community. I dont care what damage sword does i run longbow and axe for maximum hit per second but hey i guess if sword actualy had some worthwhile gimmick other then that rapid autoattack I might actualy consider it. Still what ranger need isnt a buff to sword but to all its other weapon.

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Ranger

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

well if sword is actualy this bad in pve why are people even using it in the first place. ……… I dont care what damage sword does i run longbow and axe for maximum hit per second ……….

We use sword as you phrased it “for maximum hit per second”, Axe & Longbow is not even remotely comparable.

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

well if sword is actualy this bad in pve why are people even using it in the first place. ……… I dont care what damage sword does i run longbow and axe for maximum hit per second ……….

We use sword as you phrased it “for maximum hit per second”, Axe & Longbow is not even remotely comparable.

Axe hit bounce and bow multihit from barrage and rapidfire you just switch weapon after cast in any way youl likely do twice as many hit within the same laps of time. Since i dont run marksmanship but rather beastmastery my personnal weapon damage isnt as relevant as a full power ranger what mathers is the number of blow i can score within a set amount of time so to stack pet might, you likely do 2 hit or more per second when using longbow while axe will bounce several time on each toss wich is about 1 per second effectively stacking might faster then sword would.

While i do respect the damage sword does as a weapon you have to see past the damage only. People like big numbers but sometime neglect to think that many small number also can do the job. I just wish i didnt had to constantly swap weapon set between cooldowns because im prety much always spamming a defrent cooldown

rotation- barrage-rapidfire-weapon swap-hunter call-splitblade-call of the wild-AA-Barrage…
im practicaly stacking multristrike over time combos so to always be doing more then 2 hit per second, simply running sword doesnt compare in number of hit per second but do work damagewise i at least have to admit that.

Note: My comment wasnt about sword behing weaker then other weapon but rather about the fact i feel solo weapon set ranger shouldnt be rewarded this much for spamming a auto attack weapon as much as a full cooldown rotation, else we just another brain dead warrior with axe spamming 1. At that point sword isnt needing a boost its the other weapon wich needs a revalue.

(edited by kyubi.3620)

in Ranger

Posted by: Bambula.3649

Bambula.3649

dont know where your problem is, yes some situations are rly difficult, especially
when you need to melee max range, but not so hard as you tell

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

Axe hit bounce and bow multihit from barrage and rapidfire you just switch weapon after cast in any way youl likely do twice as many hit within the same laps of time. Since i dont run marksmanship but rather beastmastery my personnal weapon damage isnt as relevant as a full power ranger what mathers is the number of blow i can score within a set amount of time so to stack pet might, you likely do 2 hit or more per second when using longbow while axe will bounce several time on each toss wich is about 1 per second effectively stacking might faster then sword would.

but with sword i can hit up to 7 targets with one aa rota+1 extra stack might from the aa finisher, for bosses it would be 4 stacks might with one rota+hunters call and fortifying bound pet is easy perma at 25 stacks, so what you do is play for what a sword/warhon ranger got passiv

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

7 target is only true if your party bother stacking the adds. Wont happen in a pug they never do it. Axe just happen to do a better job then sword when mobs are everywhere but in front of you. Bow barrage cover a very large area cripple and multi hit for a freaking while. Sure i have a sword offset in my inventory that i never use but its only because the team i get dont stack adds. Sword rota wont stack might this fast on single target or on spread targeting as axe or bow does. Axe splitblade shouldnt be underestimated in a cluster either especialy because you throw lots of projectile all piercing target and all able to score a critical hit, the moment you got a few mob togueter you already got 25 stack. I do agree however that if you can hit 7 target in that very small cone of yours you can easily stack the might. Now idk about you but the weakness spam from the axe also is realy interesting when it comes to reducing boss damage and not every class in the game actualy cares to bring that condition because its not part of their build save for necromancer, well its a free extra.

As for your four stack might thats over 3 second right? It would be good if not for the fact your not constantly attacking, i dont have to waste time dodging melee attacks or staying out of a melee range aoe on ranged weapon wich may make you loose a few might stack, prety much all those situation where your sword will make a lot of ranger player rage their hate at the pindown or waste precious dps keeping a fair distance to avoid nuke.

(edited by kyubi.3620)

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

bleeds deal no dmg, nice to have but no need, stacking trash is not a big deal even with pug groups, i run much with them, even if i have to doge in the next 2 secs i got more dmg again than you can do if you not doge, if i stay on melee i got the might and fury from wars/guards/ele/engi..so it have no weaken in comparison to your play style, it´s okay if you just like the playstyle but dont say it´s better, i tested it so often and my pet always got 25 stacks might and with good groups and dont even need to look cause i got 25 stacks, so my pet even got 25 stacks

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

its 1 second for 7 hit i dont see where the loss is especialy for so many hit scored even with weaker damage. As for your damage ill have to compare personnal ranger damage + pet damage to prove your point especialy if you use marksmanship.

As for your 25 stack might… what about bad group because i dont need a ‘’good group’’ to proc my might for me. I perma get at least 10 personnal stack my pet is nearly always in the 20+. When you pug you learn not to rely on hypothetic buff others might give and only on yourself that is the best way to maximise effectiveness in unorganised team. If you dont have personnal might stack on your own save for when you cast your elite or when a guardian buff you i wonder what damage you do.

(edited by kyubi.3620)

in Ranger

Sina.9208

….When you pug you learn not to rely on hypothetic buff others might give and only on yourself ….

This selfish reasoning is one of the reasons many pugs being bad & also ppl writing “no rangers” on lfg.

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

Well relying on other in pugs doesnt work well. When i get into organised group i bother a little more on party synergy with others (my main organised party characters are my guardian and my warriors) but for strangers might as well just make sure your as strong as can be and carry anything that could help the team while not expecting anything from them because its likely youl receive nothing (when i get a guardian who spam might its a nice surprise but i wont cry if the guardian doesnt) If you dont have might then make sure you get some from personnal source. Thinking other wont provide and planning in advance doesnt mean you wont provide party buff it just mean you wont expect anything from them.

You call me selfish yet your expecting other to provide you might to compensate for your own lacunes? I provide healing spring and frost spirit + fury buff from horn here and i do fairly good auto supplyed dps what do you provide beside of your personnal damage wich you actualy depends on others buff to do?

(edited by kyubi.3620)

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

ty sina, cause this is a big point, if you start like this your end in a vicious circle, thats why i play every char for best group dps, mean full bersi and get the traits or groups dps buff´s that you need and it works with every char except for necro but i dont have one on 80

a build that only works for you is only half so strong like a build that works for the group !
thats why i love to play my ele, guard or engi in pug groups, so much dmg support the people are so often wondering what happens with their own dmg

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

my build works both for the group and for myself it just happen to be that your build is gunna be realy weak if not all condition are met but will work realy good when you got a personnalised team. Since i kind of nearly never run a personnalised team (no time to waste on recruiting 1 member per hour) i rather run a build wich works great in all situation.

Im full zerker 0 25 0 15 30 so im not neglicting my damage either im just lacking that useless 300 power line to the benefit of a more powerfull pet wich will hardly die and deal way higher damage, if anything maybe i should convert to condition damage and abuse of rampager bleed build but eh thats another test ill have to do at a diffrent time.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

my build works both for the group and for myself it just happen to be that your build is gunna be realy weak if not all condition are met but will work realy good when you got a personnalised team. Since i kind of nearly never run a personnalised team (no time to waste on recruiting 1 member per hour) i rather run a build wich works great in all situation.

Im full zerker 0 25 0 15 30 so im not neglicting my damage either im just lacking that useless 300 power line to the benefit of a more powerfull pet wich will hardly die and deal way higher damage, if anything maybe i should convert to condition damage and abuse of rampager bleed build but eh thats another test ill have to do at a diffrent time.

Yeah… 30 points in that power trait line is just 300 power… It’s also:

• 10% dmg with full endurance
  • a guaranteed crit with opening strike
  • opening strike for you and your pet for 10 stacks of vulnerability on a target
  • Remorseless GM trait for trash mobs to keep stacking vulnerability on trash so EVERYONE can do 10% more dmg
  • Signet of the Beastmaster to give yourself invulnerability with signet of stone or boost up your dps by 25% with signet of the wild that also comes as an extra source of stability
  • and above all… SPOTTER

That’s a lot of neglect to your own damage and for everyone else. Yeah… traitline is sooooooooo useless… xD

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

30 points in marksman is a bit waste, but 20 is a must have for spotter
you got more power dmg with 20/25/0/25 than with 30/25/0/15

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

30 points in marksman is a bit waste, but 20 is a must have for spotter
you got more power dmg with 20/25/0/25 than with 30/25/0/15

ah yeah there’s that too. I do like the 20/25/0/25 as well. used to use it but im spoiled by running 30 in marksman now, popping signet of stone as an “o-kitten!” button has spoiled me! haha

but yeah, spotter is a must, I agree

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

i dont run signet of stone :/ i run signet of the wild signet of the hunt/sic em (yea i LOVE sic em) and frost spirit so save for the small bonus id get from signet of the hunt or signet of the wild the burst is nothing enormous, Note your weakening your pet a lot by not having 30 in beast mastery so i guess your the kind of people who constantly QQ about their pet behing dead cuz they aint able to take a hit… well my jag takes those hits quite fine and deals a realy good amount of damage only thing that would make it even better would be aegis on dodge so id be in heaven if they added it to my traitline. Opening strike is just 1 hit and i dont need a garenteed crit when im already nearly sure to crit, only gain would be spotter (increased pres do i REAAAALY need that when im near perma fury and already constantly criting?) and the 10 stack of vuln wich i trade for bleeding cat, increased pet damage, a tankyer cat and pet health regeneration (yea i love my cat). Openning strike aint gunna help you a lot for a boss fight its just a totaly useless trait and it should be removed from the game or changed for something else like proc 1 stack of vuln on critical last 10 second. Only thing usefull in your whole trait line is signet of the beastmaster but im not gunna turn my pet into a glass spoon in order to get it (glass spoon because your pet is short 300 power vita toughness precision and is likely gunna get killed at the first occasion) I respect your choice not to use your pet however lots of ranger would rather have it stashed out of their skill bar.

(edited by kyubi.3620)

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Nah. There’s no need to buff your pet 300 stat points with smart swapping and all the other commands. Some instances your pet’s gonna die no matter what, but if the pet goes there’s no QQ because it was most likely the ranger’s fault for not swapping out before he’s nuked. You underestimate spotter (and other traits) though, but that’s okay. Keep pugging!

in Ranger

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Don’t bother arguing with kyubi. He’s been bickering with the folks over at the dungeon forums on the usefulness of several classes such as MM necro is best necro build for lupi…

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

youd run soulreaping then or maybe conditionmancer? its not that i got something against condi necro but in my head necro = minion
and yea i keep pugging my 2 last guy and i get my fractals done thats all that mather. If i need something done seriously however i just get my warrior out of the garage and plant my discipline banner down.

Well if you can call a 3 man cell on skype a pug (laugh) good. Yea i find boosting a pet 300 to all stat way more interesting because its like having 2 character instead of one or so to spread damage evenly, not to mention he actualy deals a load of dps when traited specificaly. I do pet swap and i do make it retreat you will never see my cat die in a dungeon unless i was extremely unlucky, I just happen to love pet management so i make prety much all the class i can run with pet use them to the max (MM necro, beast master ranger, phantasm mesmer), im just sick of all those anti AI people complaining about pets behing nuisance etc just because the only people theyve met that actualy used them did it poorly or because their blind to the many use those little companion provide, its the pet hate all over the place i swear.

I dont hate on critical damage build either im running zerk war and zerk guard its just i feel ranger and pet in my meaning of the word means ’’1’’ and as such i run effective damage build while puting the accent on beast mastery with about all ranger build i use. Pets have their utility in a fight weither you want to accept it or not and ill keep fighting for the use of pets in dungeone because yes those lovely furry animals do have a place in our dungeons.

(Ran duncan the black with rainbow nix, tanked him with a rainbow nix and killed it with a rainbow nix long live pet managements!)

‘’we love kitty give some more love to your kitty!’

(edited by kyubi.3620)

in Ranger

Posted by: Tierce.5370

Tierce.5370

Lightning—

What I would not give for a main-hand DPS weapon option that lets me avoid pushing mobs out of a stack and allows me to dodge cleanly.

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

well i guess what would make me consider sword would be a move the like of hundred blade or pistolwhip with a very wide aoe affect and a lot of hits

in Ranger

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

OP, I was going to try to give you some advice, but my most honest piece of advice is “don’t kittening bother”. Not worth it to the Nth degree.

I just use a Greatsword. Yes, it’s not optimal (with the 0.05 less power scaling and the marginally slower auto-attack), but that’s a small price to pay for not having to deal with the atrocious sword animations/sticking.

That’s when I bother to use a ranger. Usually out of boredom or stubbornness. If you want optimal then I seriously suggest any other class. Try a Warrior. Or Guardian. Or Mesmer. Or literally any other class. I can’t think of a class that’s worse for PvE than Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

I can’t think of a class that’s worse for PvE than Ranger.

Necromancer

in Ranger

ProxyDamage.9826

Necromancer

Full berserker necro with dagger/whatever (focus?), wells and piercing life blast.

Not fantastic, and yet better.

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Necromancer

Full berserker necro with dagger/whatever (focus?), wells and piercing life blast.

Not fantastic, and yet better.

That build doesn’t contribute anything to the team except some vuln stacks and some condi removal.

Rangers can at-least bring two unique damage buffs, water fields, fire fields, 1-12 might stacks, fury, reflects, resurrects etc. Their melee options can also hit more than 1 target. Not sure what the benefit of piercing life blast is, but rangers can do that as well (though you shouldn’t).

Don’t get me wrong, this class has problems and is incredibly frustrating to play on certain fights (as indicated by the OP), but it still brings enough to the party to make it worth bringing one ranger.

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

pve: ranger > nerco

what the key is to rly survive is to know your enemy and to know when you have to doge, yes like every other class but this is a bit harder for us so we need be better with the timing

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

lightning.8039

Problem with necros is they don’t have team utility that other professions can’t already do unfortunately. PS I love my necro but that is beside the point. Also a funny thing with the sword, the first auto in the chain is a 180 degree cleave attack hitting up to 3 targets, the second attack is a single target kick to whatever your target is, or whatever you happen to kick when flying by, and the third attack is a 360 degree cleave that can hit 3 targets like the first. So the slash-kick-pounce is like cleave-noncleave-cleave, so yes rangers can cleave, but you only cleave 2/3 of the time.

Also it looks like the first auto chain has a slightly wider cleave radius on the sides than the third auto chain (pounce), after doing some more tests on the dummies in LA, but yes the fact that the third auto has a 360 degree cleave is sorta neat… i think

-Benjamin Franklin

(edited by lightning.8039)

in Ranger

ProxyDamage.9826

That build doesn’t contribute anything to the team except some vuln stacks and some condi removal.

Well, it does bring one thing… One thing Rangers don’t… They kill kitten a hell of a lot faster!

but it still brings enough to the party to make it worth bringing one ranger.

You’re kidding yourself.

in Ranger

Sina.9208

Well, it does bring one thing… One thing Rangers don’t… They kill kitten a hell of a lot faster!

but it still brings enough to the party to make it worth bringing one ranger.

You’re kidding yourself.

I’ve done speed-clears where we had a zerk necro & I still firmly believe that the ranger is a much better option. You are the one kidding yourself if you think the necro does substantially more dmg then a zerk ranger with the right spec with sword and a cat pet. Not to mention what happens if the ranger is the designated FGS holder, but tbh LH is also worth it…

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

fgs and lh hammer as beast for ranger,the only class that deals more dmg with them are guard and ele, but if you got an staff ele and lh ele in team, love it <3
but ask lh ele before you pick up their hammer cause they rly need them.

the aspect that you can burst down bosses with just one summon from lh hammer is so awesome.

AND DAT DMG NUMBERS..if you play lb ranger and think you see huge number..go back to kindergarten and play with your building blocks :p

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

better then both yet bring another warrior. If i want optimal i play warrior guardian or mesmer. I use my ranger for more smooth instance where i know i can mess around or with friends when we wont be rushing content like rabbits after carrots. Theres no point bringing ranger to an all out damage run with the state of mind the community has now. Ranger is more of a control/support class then an actual damage dealer no offanse and with that kind of utility weve been given its no wonder people all think we are damageless. All the actual good utility mechanics works around the pet or require a thousand of trait just to be usefull and since using pets is regarded as bad by most people we all end up as the black sheep class

I love pet class above anything else but theres no point denying that from a damage outlook we are lacking, ranger even in GW 1 where hardly ever about damage save for beast mastery wich could score the top hits the class would do with non off class skill (yea even bow had weaker damage then a brutal striking enraged pet, I recall my rainbow pheonix was spamming the 160+20 per second had uber survivability and did dot),

They practicaly ripped ranger effectiness in half with that 50% pet damage reduction because in guild wars 2 pet isnt an optionnal mechanics its an enforced rule all ranger have to live with including those that dont like pet at all and as such pet should be considered with better regards statwise and damagewise then just another necromancer minion wich the necro can dispatch and res at will. Pets are part of our dps, nerfing pet damage is nerfing all the possible build ranger can use, I was a full damage beastmaster in beta and i did wonderfull damage. Altrought full pet damage is still decent its nothing like it used to be in beta.

they either need to make pet damage viable again or reinforce all weapon damage for ranger to compensate that huge loss

‘’lightning.8039’’
Problem with necros is they don’t have team utility that other professions can’t already do unfortunately

They have minion master and altrought mesmer can summon a tons of phantasm few profession can achieve the level of crowd control minion master can do via their pets, thing is in a world where dps is viewed as master prof wich entirely rely on control are regarded as useless and this makes minion necro spec useless as such because it aint made for damage. What we have here isnt a problem related to the class damage but rather the fact that control spec arent actualy that usefull yet. Maybe they should litteraly double the minion health so to make them actualy able to tank hits like they did in GW 1, or just punish party using all out damage tactics somehow.

(edited by kyubi.3620)

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

ohhh my god kyubi stop talking..for max dmg group you only need ONE war ONE !
and mesmer is not for the dmg..he is for the relfects

a well played ranger can deal the same or more dmg than a war.OHHH MY GOD WHAT HE SAID!?
yes its true, the ranger auto attacks deal more dmg than the war, the war got 100b we got or pet, woth can stack might and fury and got an unique buff for the group

and for what you need minion master?
come guy..srsly?

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

a well played ranger can deal the same or more dmg than a war.OHHH MY GOD WHAT HE SAID!?
yes its true, the ranger auto attacks deal more dmg than the war, the war got 100b we got or pet, woth can stack might and fury and got an unique buff for the group

come guy..srsly?

you exemplify everything that was writen up here.

What do we need minion master for? Control.
Who needs control? No one
Who need necros or just any other control or attrition class? No one
Why? because Dps currently rule this game and there is no downside to running 5 of it now lets see how long before anet makes control and support uber as well. Just because DPS is god doesnt mean every class needs to be speced for berserking.

The pet give unique buff?
stop joking please anyone can provide just anything the pet does all the pet bring in is damage nothing else

Auto attacking ranger?
Is that your definition of intuitive gaming? Autoattacking? Anet should nerf one handed sword just for behing limited to behing an auto attack weapon by lowering the damage of AA and adding new cooldowns to it, but they wont do that before a while because they do 1 patch per month and ranger is likely not on their priority list right now.

Guild Wars 2 battle were meant to be intuitive and to actualy make you think your build out wich means we arent supose to be able to spam an auto attack and yet deal more damage then any other of our spec wich takes up to 8 well placed spell to form a well played combo. Build based on auto attack shouldnt exist in the first place.

(edited by kyubi.3620)

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

ohhh my god kyubi stop talking..

Ya can’t stop him! He’s on a roll!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/To-definitively-end-the-run-vendors

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

come guy..srsly?

you exemplify everything that was writen up here.

What do we need minion master for? Control.
Who needs control? No one
Who need necros or just any other control or attrition class? No one
Why? because Dps currently rule this game and there is no downside to running 5 of it now lets see how long before anet makes control and support uber as well. Just because DPS is god doesnt mean every class needs to be speced for berserking.

The pet give unique buff?
stop joking please anyone can provide just anything the pet does all the pet bring in is damage nothing else

Auto attacking ranger?
Is that your definition of intuitive gaming? Autoattacking? Anet should nerf one handed sword just for behing limited to behing an auto attack weapon by lowering the damage of AA and adding new cooldowns to it, but they wont do that before a while because they do 1 patch per month and ranger is likely not on their priority list right now.

Guild Wars 2 battle were meant to be intuitive and to actualy make you think your build out wich means we arent supose to be able to spam an auto attack and yet deal more damage then any other of our spec wich takes up to 8 well placed spell to form a well played combo. Build based on auto attack shouldnt exist in the first place.

oh come on..i play guard/war..they are not rly hard to play..ele and engi just need the abilty to get the cd´s in mind and an lh ele ist not rly hard to play
stack might, take lh spam autohit, lh empty, stack might take the second, autohit…again and again, staff ele spam 2 on fire on cd,arcane blast, cast 5, cast 2 autohit, heal for blast,2, autohit, take frostbow for extra dps or lh…yes so hard..

this game is on dps since release and you got big hope that it will turn arround?
haha good joke

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

stack might, take lh spam autohit, lh empty, stack might take the second, autohit…again and again, staff ele spam 2 on fire on cd,arcane blast, cast 5, cast 2 autohit, heal for blast,2, autohit, take frostbow for extra dps or lh…yes so hard..

thats already more spell then what a sword ranger runs, this is the defrence between a rotation and spamming auto attack.

As for it behing dps since start, ill remind you Anet is working realy hard to reinforce the effectiveness of support and control roles, so dont take it for granted that damage will always be the only solution, this is only temporary to the actual emmergence of effective working support and control builds wich will likely flood the game the moment they are viable end game wise.

in Ranger

Bambula.3649

where?
a-net got no dungeon team..so where they work on content like this..more living story!?
buhh huh its so hard ><

and the problem on sword ranger is more the doge timing, it´s much harder to play like an ele

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

Sina.9208

where?
a-net got no dungeon team..so where they work on content like this..more living story!?
buhh huh its so hard ><

and the problem on sword ranger is more the doge timing, it´s much harder to play like an ele

Rip Robert Hrouda. :-)

I think so too, the dmg on the sword ranger is more than fine, anyone who thinks it’s not probably never played it with the right spec & while saying that “auto-attack is not very intuitive gaming” is certainly true, I will always try run the most efficient build, I don’t care if it’s only auto-attacking, or if its a complex rotation as long as it’s the best for the team.

in Ranger

lightning.8039

So it sounds like anet is going to make the MH sword more PvE friendly… sort of bumping this to give anet an idea of what issues MH sword rangers have to go through. Unless of course you are the bestest ranger in the world then you probably don’t have these issues

-Benjamin Franklin

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Giving in to the kitten whiners about the MH AA. Such a shame.

The sword is incredibly fun as is! I’m far from alone in this.

If you suck at timing your dodges, #2, and #3, that’s your effin’ problem. You need to get better. Stop trying to ruin the MH sword for those of us who have learned to use it!

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

ohhh my god kyubi stop talking..

Ya can’t stop him! He’s on a roll!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/To-definitively-end-the-run-vendors

I just can’t take kyubi seriously now. Anyone that insane to suggest such an incredibly crazy stpuid thing… Just… I don’t even…

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dekk.3459

Dekk.3459

yeah it was announced during the livestream

“Ranger
Spirit of Nature – right now it says it heals for 320 every 3 seconds but it actually heals for 480 every second due to a bug. We are aiming for 320 per second. It is still incredibly strong
Field type (combo fields) adding to all of the traps.
Empathic Bond – removing conditions from ranger even if the pet is dead – we are fixing that bug.
There are some amazing stuff coming for the ranger but we can’t talk too much about it yet (and also to other professions).
Mainhand sword issue – not being able to dodge. Looking to fix it, may not make it to the first balance patch.

So sometime after the living story with Scarlet ends Sword MH will be changed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

I actually think the kick and leap is really fun to play, since I mostly quest and PvP. But if I have to choose between a fun mechanic in PvP and a completely broken mechanic in dungeons, I will choose to change it for the dungeons. Not being able to dodge on bosses is just inexcusable. It needs a change.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief