Make pets invulnerable in PvE

in Ranger

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

I’ve been playing a lot of ranger recently and it’s a fun class but my pet dies too easily in dungeons and even open world events sometimes.

I’m sure this has been suggested before, but why not just make pets stay alive as long as their owner is alive? It’s not as though GW2 was intended to be a serious farming game like Diablo 3. Making one of the most popular classes terrible in dungeons isn’t a great idea.

I’m also sure that someone will give me a great reason why this might not be such a good idea, so please, let me know!

Oh, and for those of you who would say ‘invulnerable pet= always tank all the DPS’, why not just make enemies prioritize the ranger over the ranger pet? (The same as a person who was fighting the ranger might do)

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

A problem I foresee with this is that it would essentially force all Rangers to run the highest-DPS pets; there would be no benefit or consequences for doing otherwise.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Ranger

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

To improve rangers we need more buttons to push, not less things to do. This would encourage like Imagi said, taking the highest DPS pet and just sit spamming 1 like rangers do, making playing ranger Even more boring.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

PvE it should be fairly trivial to keep your pet alive. Some basic recalls, swaps, prots, and heals will suffice for all but the toughest of bosses. CoF: your pet is never, ever going to die if you’re paying attention (boulders aside). Fractal level 39 molten facility, maybe, but it should actually do pretty well.

PvP pets are powerful. WvW roaming pets are even more poweful. Zerg pets die too much; that’s where the conversation should be centered. Do zergs deserve a special pet consideration, or are the mechanics of a zerg weird enough that it’s ok as is?

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

PvE it should be fairly trivial to keep your pet alive. Some basic recalls, swaps, prots, and heals will suffice for all but the toughest of bosses. CoF: your pet is never, ever going to die if you’re paying attention (boulders aside). Fractal level 39 molten facility, maybe, but it should actually do pretty well.

PvP pets are powerful. WvW roaming pets are even more poweful. Zerg pets die too much; that’s where the conversation should be centered. Do zergs deserve a special pet consideration, or are the mechanics of a zerg weird enough that it’s ok as is?

Mm, sPvP pets aren’t as good as you think. If you aren’t playing bm, they’ll die fairly easily as sPvP is all about bombarding points with AoE.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

A problem I foresee with this is that it would essentially force all Rangers to run the highest-DPS pets; there would be no benefit or consequences for doing otherwise.

A ranger who is runnig bear/pigs an so on, is usually not a usefull partymember anyway.

Learn to let your cat/bird survive, or pick up another class. Sometimes a range pet can be a choice, but picking them means rangerdps<warr/engii/necro….

But there are a few 1shot attacks or bosses with too much AoE to let a pet survive. I think AoE reduction in dungeons is ok and a good deal.

(edited by Norjena.5172)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ariete.6509

Ariete.6509

I’ll make it short this time: NO!

Check my post history, sick and tired of the discussion

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

I really think the pets should be as tough as Veterans in PvE. Not as weak as regular mobs.

Then the pets might actually pose a threat and wouldn’t go ignored.

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

With current pet mechanic even making them tougher wouldn’t help much, the bigger problem is in situation of 1 hit kill skills from bosses or in constant damage like in WvW zergs, w/o better ways to mitigate that damage, like dodge, aegis or something, adding HP will only make pets OP (adding too much HP/invulnerable) or won’t even matter.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Mm, sPvP pets aren’t as good as you think. If you aren’t playing bm, they’ll die fairly easily as sPvP is all about bombarding points with AoE.

How can they not be as good as I think if what you say hasn’t been what I know? PvP pets almost never die if you’re paying attention to swapping.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

That’s how Guardian Spirit Weapons used to work and they changed those so they could take damage.

They’re not going to go backwards.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

It would be insanely overpowered to make pets invulnerable especially when leveling.

Wish pet got the benefit of dodging every time I dodged. No graphic needed.
That might help as much as anything.

in Ranger

Posted by: An Siorai Tharian.4516

An Siorai Tharian.4516

To improve rangers we need more buttons to push, not less things to do. This would encourage like Imagi said, taking the highest DPS pet and just sit spamming 1 like rangers do, making playing ranger Even more boring.

Wait, my highest level character (currently sitting at 55) is a Ranger, and I rarely if ever simply spam my #1 button. Yes I have it set so that the #1 attack auto-fires on my target when I am not activating a different skill. But I am not constantly actively jabbing down on the #1 button on my keyboard. I do press other buttons to get other effects. Spamming is defined as: “sending the same messages indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet.” so in this context it would be “pressing down on the #1 key to the exclusion of all other activities in combat.” I do not do that, and I would hope that other Rangers in the game, and indeed all other classes do other things as well.

Additionally, even if we were to be playing the highest DPS pet to the exclusion of all other pets, you would still want to press the F2 button whenever it is up so that your Pet uses its Activated Ability whenever it is available. Unless your assumption is that the highest DPS pets in the game don’t have a relevant DPS related Activated Ability. In which case I would question whether or not they are really the best DPS Pet that is available to the Ranger. Spamming #1 however, would exclude you from being able to use the F2 button as it automatically means you don’t press any other buttons except #1.

You might also want to consider stopping and pressing the button for your healing skill every now and again. Else you might die. And as any GOOD DPS player will tell you… “A dead DPS, is no DPS.”

+++++++++++++

As much as I understand people wanting to keep their pets alive and all that. I am constantly reminded that many of the DPS Players in this game are built in such a way that it would give nightmares to many of the DPS Players in other games.

There are classes in some games out there that can initiate FIVE melee attacks per second. That’s 1 attack every 0.2 seconds. Each of these attacks is as powerful in these games as the most powerful spell cast by the strongest Arcane Caster. The speed at which these characters attacks makes the character avatar look like it is having an epileptic seizure as the game engine really wasn’t designed for that kind of attack speed.

Yet these characters have some of the highest defensive capabilities in that game, largely because they hit so fast an so hard that the enemies rarely have a chance to respond to the player’s attacks. Those that do, only have such a chance because they have such obscene numbers of hit points as to make them be able to survive a couple of rounds of these hits. Unfortunately even the strongest boss in these games is really no match for one of these classes, and most of the content can largely be soloed by now. Even the Heavy Armored Classes in that game which normally can’t get in on that action, now can if they are extremely lucky with their random rolls, or are extremely rich, due to a certain type of new weapon that was introduced that allows them to get the right kind of mods on their weapon to allow them to get 5 attacks per second.

Guild Wars 2, really doesn’t have anything remotely resembling this kind of set up. In order to put out figures even remotely resembling those kinds of figures, you have to largely sacrifice your vitality and toughness stat on your gear, in order to favor your Precision, Power, and Crit Damage stats. That means the vast majority of your defense will come from the Armor Rating on the gear you equip.

Which means that since a Ranger is a Medium Armor class, if they want to go with Berserker’s or Assassin’s Gear, they have to sacrifice what little defense that they had. And if they further opt to run a DPS Pet, instead of a Tanking Pet, their defense is even more shot to hell. While it may seem like a good idea to say that the Pet should remain alive for as long as the Ranger stays alive, regardless of how many hits the Pet takes, the logical response from Anet is going to be “Well does that mean you don’t want Pets to take any sort of Aggro at all?” which will mean that if we get invulnerable pets, we will likely lose the Tanking capability of our pets. Which will make the Ranger the single most Glass Canonized class in the entire game.

The entire point of the pet in my mind, is to soak up damage that the Ranger would otherwise take, and to deal a little bit of extra damage on the side.

++++++++++++++

That said, I could see the argument for making the Pet’s as tough (I mean Toughness stat) as a Veteran when in PvE. That I could agree with.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA
Ranger 80 | Elementalist 30 | Guardian 29 | Necromancer 21

(edited by An Siorai Tharian.4516)

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

How can they not be as good as I think if what you say hasn’t been what I know? PvP pets almost never die if you’re paying attention to swapping.

Maybe you’ve yet to play a really competitive team? Pets will still die easily to lots of AoE. I run birds/cats so maybe there’s where our disagreement stems from.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: An Siorai Tharian.4516

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Owls have 625 Power, 938 Precision, 755 Toughness, and 938 Vitality @ level 55.
Cats have 625 Power, 938 Precision, 755 Toughness, and 938 Vitality @ Level 55
Bears have 625 Power, 625 Precision, 1,068 Toughness, an 2,188 Vitality @ Level 55

Yes, obviously Cats & Owls are superior in every way when it comes to straight DPS to Bears. However,

Lizards (I refuse to call them Drakes), have 781 Poweer, 625 Precision, 1,068 Toughness, and 1,562 Vitality. These stats make them slightly worse at DPS than the Cats and Owls, but significantly more survivable than either of those two. While at the same time, unlike Cats and Owls the Lizard has an AoE Breath Attack, making it far more versatile than the Cats and Owls.

I can see the Cats and Owls doing more damage in one on one fights. But the Lizard is better for group fights in my opinion. Which makes it better for PvP.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA
Ranger 80 | Elementalist 30 | Guardian 29 | Necromancer 21

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

In the thaumanova reactor the ranger pets can miraculously avoid falling through the floor when players characters would fall to instant death. I’ve seen both my story mode groups finish with 4 dead people, a ranger doing nothing more than running to keeping safe, and the ranger pet killing the boss. It’s an extreme example but things like that will happen everywhere as soon as you give ranger pets too much help in PvE.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ariete.6509

Ariete.6509

In the thaumanova reactor the ranger pets can miraculously avoid falling through the floor when players characters would fall to instant death. I’ve seen both my story mode groups finish with 4 dead people, a ranger doing nothing more than running to keeping safe, and the ranger pet killing the boss. It’s an extreme example but things like that will happen everywhere as soon as you give ranger pets too much help in PvE.

Put Your hands where i can see them and step away from my profession

Edit:btw i’m agreeing with you mate, hope that’s clear

(edited by Ariete.6509)

in Ranger

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

A ranger who is runnig bear/pigs an so on, is usually not a usefull partymember anyway.

Learn to let your cat/bird survive, or pick up another class. Sometimes a range pet can be a choice, but picking them means rangerdps<warr/engii/necro….

But there are a few 1shot attacks or bosses with too much AoE to let a pet survive. I think AoE reduction in dungeons is ok and a good deal.

Pets like moas, hounds, and drakes can provide buffs or CC, and help a group manage large pulls or difficult fights. Pets options aren’t simply limited to birds, cats, bears, and pigs.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!