Masters Bond + Lashtail = OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

Hi,

New Ranger here still leveling, invested in BM 10 points and got the trait Masters Bond which stacks to x25 and I use the health regen Signet. Though this may not be new to many I could not believe how OP the pet gets.

Outstanding mitigation, massive crits and makes me just faceroll the content lol

in Ranger

Posted by: ClaraFee.1293

ClaraFee.1293

Faceroll what content? I’ve yet to see a Ranger faceroll content in Orr.

- Love GW2, hate the Ranger. >:(

in Ranger

Posted by: Valderius Rex.4108

Valderius Rex.4108

That will work well for a while, but in group content and places like Orr, you’ll be frequently swapping pets just to keep them alive, making master’s bond kinda worthless. The good news is by frequently swapping you’ll gain lots of bonus quickness.

in Ranger

Posted by: mamourrir.9641

mamourrir.9641

I think masters bond reset every time you switch between pets. Which makes it useless.

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

Master’s Bond does reset every time you switch pets, change zones, or enter water. It’s a potentially awesome trait that’s rendered practically useless by mechanics.

That being said, when you do hit 25 stacks pets turn into killing machines.

Also, the build I use face rolls pretty much any PvE content. Orr was pretty easy and only got hairy when I got multiple veterans, veterans and several regular mobs, or large packs of regular mobs.

in Ranger

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

an OP skill for ranger? if only pet could survive long enough in WvW for me to benefit from it.

in PvE though that skill is great

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Huh? The ranger class has some weak spots, but questing and DEs are extremely easy for rangers.

As for Master’s Bond, yes, it’s a great ability for leveling and solo content, but sadly it doesn’t hold up very well for PvP and dungeons.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Huh? The ranger class has some weak spots, but questing and DEs are extremely easy for rangers.

As for Master’s Bond, yes, it’s a great ability for leveling and solo content, but sadly it doesn’t hold up very well for PvP and dungeons.

Um… PvP is where it holds up the best because each kill gives 5 stacks, that means you only need 5 kills w/o swapping pets (which isn’t needed due to most people completely ignoring them) letting your pet quickly spiral out of control for the enemy which can be absolutely game breaking for a lot of enemy teams in tPvP (letting a BM pet become as strong as a player is never a good idea)

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

Um… PvP is where it holds up the best because each kill gives 5 stacks, that means you only need 5 kills w/o swapping pets (which isn’t needed due to most people completely ignoring them) letting your pet quickly spiral out of control for the enemy which can be absolutely game breaking for a lot of enemy teams in tPvP (letting a BM pet become as strong as a player is never a good idea)

It’s just not worth it in PvP because you’re either A ) getting enough kills to build MB, in which case, you’re doing fine without it anyway, or B ) in a tough fight, where need MB, but won’t be able to build up stacks.

Taking MB also means that you’re losing out on the potential benefit of a faster pet swap and more importantly, quickness on pet swap. You also lose out on the CC benefit of having multiple pets and swapping to fit the situation. Being able to immobilize your target, then quickly swap and fear an enemy trying to stomp a downed ally is priceless. On top of that, you also have to avoid water completely since even stepping in it for a second will reset the stacks on your pet.

Sure, it looks impressive when you’re sending in a stacked pet against a team that you’re steamrolling anyways, but I don’t think it’s justified over other alternatives for any balanced game.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I don’t know about PvP, but I’ve tried Master’s Bond out for dungeons.

On the one hand; It’s not as bad as you think it is, in that it positively reinforces itself, so the more stacks you have the easier the stacks are to keep. Even if you can only keep a few stacks on at a time, it feels way more impactful than some of the other Tier 1 options.

On the other hand: It’s exactly as bad as you think it is, because only largely invested pet builds can manage the kind of HP equilibrium needed for stacking, there are handful of times you’ll run headfirst into environment obstacles that are frustrating no-win situation stack-wipers, and there’s the occasional odd stack counting (like nearly the entire bloody 2nd airship part of storymode arah counting as one.)

Somebody needs to invent a word that means both ‘awesome’ and ‘frustrating’.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

in Ranger

Posted by: Psychrome.9281

Psychrome.9281

Somebody needs to invent a word that means both ‘awesome’ and ‘frustrating’.

pretty sure GW2 already did …its called Ranger

in Ranger

Cempa.5619

I am not in Orr and I hope that once I am this Trait would mean I do not need to switch pets and the pet can easily hold 2 or 3 normal mobs, other wise it is a design flaw.

A mechanic that is clearly intended to remove the stacks when you switch pets -it actually says when defeated or disabled- should not remove those stacks when in water.

in Ranger

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

it will only remove stacks upon water entry if you are not using an amphibious pet.

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

Master’s Bond works fine for Orr in that it’s easy to get your pet stacked and to keep it that way.

However, if you’re farming events, then there’s not much reason to invest in any BM traits since pets are mainly single target damage dealers and Orr farming is all about tagging mobs, which means using things like piercing arrows and traps to AoE as much as possible.

in Ranger

Cempa.5619

it will only remove stacks upon water entry if you are not using an amphibious pet.

Lashtail is amphibious and the stacks get removed in water.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

Lashtail is amphibious and the stacks get removed in water.

I personally haven’t tested that but if I was going to I’ld have my lashtail as a primary pet on both bars so hopefully a pet switch wasn’t triggered as occurring.

In TpVP masters bond works particulalry on the first map where the lords count as 5 points as do players.

Devourers work because you can rush the lord get 5 plus another 5 or 10 on the back cappers. Rush with the herd up to the back of the keep and engage from the platform using your devourer as a missile shield and get them to 20-25 MB on a good run team win. At which point you can roll out the back and float between defense offense with a pretty nasty pet.

Other maps lacking the free 5 from a lord MB can be less viable to stack as quickly. Generally I find it’s better to stick with the herd till you get the pet to 20-25 stacks. Map 1 just stacks up the kill potential in a very predictable manner. Of course you aren’t locked into MB for rounds 2 and 3.

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle