[Math] Viability of Valkyrie Amulet

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

So before you read on. I don’t think in the current meta and in the current state of balance this Amulet should be picked over stuff like Mender/Paladin/Marauder. However the difference is smaller than people might think and Ranger, with the Relentless GM trait, is propably the best class to go for a high ferocity/low precision build.

Stats:
1200 Power
900 Ferocity
900 Vitality

In terms of defense this amulet is on the same level as Mender and Paladin. More vitality but you lose either healing power or toughness. So the big question is how it performs offensively. For my calculations I used this tool:

http://jsfiddle.net/GNEFd/10/embedded/result/

For simplicity we use a clean translation of power into attack damage dealt. Don’t look at the absolute number (which will always depend on target armor, weapon scaling, etc) but rather how this number changes between Amulets. Here is the damage for Mender and Paladin stats with and without Fury using Runes of the Pack:

Mender

• Crit: 7080, No Crit: 2360 (with trait that converts healing power to power)
  • Crit Chance: 36%
  • Average: 4059
  • Average with Fury: 5003

Paladin

• Crit: 6675, No Crit: 2225
  • Crit Chance: 60%
  • Average: 4895
  • Average with Fury: 5785

For Valkyrie I maxed out precision via runes and sigils (Exuberance and Accuracy). This should always be done for this Amulet since it greatly increases DPS (much more than on the other Amulets).

Valkyrie

• Crit: 8442, No Crit: 2345
  • Crit Chance: 16%
  • Average: 3320
  • Average with Fury: 4540

However in most current builds you can use Strength of the Pack every 48 seconds. This will proc Relentless for almost every greatsword attack. Assuming an 80% crit rate and 25% increased critical damage (due to refreshing Relentless) this results in following numbers for those ~ 10 seconds.

Valkyrie with Strength of the Pack

• Crit: 9661, No Crit: 2345
  • Crit Chance: 80%
  • Average: 8198

Conclusion:

For Valkyrie to compete in any way you should run a build with permanent Fury (which is rather easy to achieve though as Ranger). Precision must be maxed out which consumes some rune/sigil slots you might have used for other stuff.

Burst damage while using Strength of the Pack is extremely high.

Relentless works best with slow attacking weapons like Greatsword. Does not work well with Staff for example which makes it bad in the current meta. If we ever see buffs to greatsword or more greatsword build in general Valkyrie will become more viable.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

I personally think Necros are the ones with best use of Ferocity without precision.
They have passive 50% crit after all.

But yes, Rangers might just be the 2nd best. If we count +7,14% from Spotter, +10% from possible flanking, fury and remorseless we might be right behind the corner.
When I did the theorycrafting, it could be possible to run the amulet as former Crusader replacement.
But then… Cleric does a similar thing but with less risk. Tiger does the high crits anyway.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Valkyrie is one amulet i use to use in the old meta , with a Power ranger Saimoth build spec extreamly high Hp and Burst damage while buffed with boons.

you could do the same with the current traits but you won’t be able to use Druid as it requires too many trait lines now , you’ll need NM+BM/skirmishing then pick MM/WK and set up a way to increase the applications of boons through traits rather than durations (leadership runes could be helpful here + clarions bond)

the problem with remorsless builds they pretty much require Skirmishing or Two-handed training so ether way you have to choose a damage source then enforce that with % damage from instintive reactions (for the quickness alone) or bountiful hunter for a big boost of burst damage rather than the odd dps increase) , so you could use skirmishing instead of BM then pick a different set of weapons like GS , sword+axe with quickdraw and tiger .

then through heal as one and wilderness you can proc more fury that way with the needed condi clears = a tanky pet , pursado tanky ranger and high burst/rotations.

I had a lot of fun with Valkyrie , i may try it again when im bored of Cleric amulet druid.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Cavalier amulet may appeal to those using valk.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

On my non-HoT alt account i used a valk remorseless melee ranger for the majority of my matches in emerald and sapphire. It can’t compete with well played meta builds, but it worked surprisingly well in those low divisions. Love those 10k mauls <3

I wouldn’t use remorseless/valk for a druid build though.

in Ranger

Posted by: Oak da Vite.9054

Oak da Vite.9054

I mostly do premade games with my guild. Valkyrie works really good in combinatin with a herald in teamfights. With the amunt of burst you can one-hit eles and thieves. Also reapers are a good target when they leave the shroud.

Da Vite – Miller’s Sound
Last Phoenix [Nix]

in Ranger

Posted by: Umadusa.5874

Umadusa.5874

I love Valkyrie on my water/air ele in PvP (I use a mix of magi and valkyrie in PvE.) Along with Rune of the Wurm (gain ferocity based on vitality) and the insta-crit arcane skills, it’s quite formidable.