Melee Ranger builds? [WvW]

in Ranger

Posted by: skystorm.9280

skystorm.9280

I mainly run GS/ LB druid but I really want to explore core ranger melee for roaming purposes.

I have seen S/A + GS as a popular one and S/D + GS floating around that look like they really mess people up – obviously being melee you can’t start a fight from far like you can with LB and instead (or maybe you can and I just need to learn how). It looks fun, ‘new’; because most Rangers and their mother take Druid., and melee core ranger looks challenging.

I have my Sword, axe, dagger, and GS ready to move forward with it if you guys would enlighten to me your favorites or the ones you see to be most effective!

Thank you in advance

in Ranger

Posted by: Ashkew.6584

Ashkew.6584

I currently run around with these 2 builds :

First one is a mm/skir/bea :

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAsYRnUqANsg1CC+rActgh/gi33weD+04HO691zgAoEhnG-TVRWwAA2fAo6Pk0HIRJ4AlfAA-w

This build is very glassy and will have you end up dead very fast if you dont play it well. Which was kind of the point of this build, you have no passive defense like protective ward/bark skin, no protection on getting hit from dura runes of anything like that.

The defense of this build comes through evading, not getting hit by stuff. You have evades on sword 2/3, dagger 4, gs 1(stowing gs third attack can get you 3 evades in a row), gs 3.

Normally i try to start fight on sword/dagger en tiger pet, i try to bait some blocks/evade/dodges first before i swap to gs and try and land maul. You have fury on weapon swap so you always have openingstrike after swap, the combo maul, auto attack, tiger f2gives fury, openingstrike, maul, hilt-hilt bash, pet swap, maul is a strong one if someone is kind enough to eat it all.
Basicly the gameplay of this build is, evading/kiting until you have a window of oppertunity and then go in for a burst.

pro’s: active defense, good burst, fun, needs brain to keep pets alive, good escape (double quickdraw leaps)
con’s: glassy, not much room for mistakes, conditions

my second build is a more defensive one which uses wildernes instead of skirmish.
This one is better vs condi, and good vs power builds aswell because of the protection on dodge rolls/barkskin 5% damage reduction with regen.
The playstyle is comparable to the first one, only there is less creativity with the weaponswap/quickdraw involved

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAsYRnUqANsg1CC+CCctgh/gq73bfG+04HO691zgAokpFG-TVRWABkoPAg9HoV9nBU+JhSQA-w

both of the builds arent optimal, but more a way of having fun again. Compared to druid the builds require more preventing to get hit instead of getting away after you get hit( as most druids seems to do )

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Are you opposed to druid double melee? Druid is going to be superior to core ranger sort of by default.

Druid or core ranger will influence your sword offhand weapon.

in Ranger

skystorm.9280

Are you opposed to druid double melee? Druid is going to be superior to core ranger sort of by default.

Druid or core ranger will influence your sword offhand weapon.

Not opposed to druid double melee – I just think it works better as core ranger but always curious to see how builds play out -

in Ranger

skystorm.9280

I currently run around with these 2 builds :

First one is a mm/skir/bea :

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAsYRnUqANsg1CC+rActgh/gi33weD+04HO691zgAoEhnG-TVRWwAA2fAo6Pk0HIRJ4AlfAA-w

This build is very glassy and will have you end up dead very fast if you dont play it well. Which was kind of the point of this build, you have no passive defense like protective ward/bark skin, no protection on getting hit from dura runes of anything like that.

The defense of this build comes through evading, not getting hit by stuff. You have evades on sword 2/3, dagger 4, gs 1(stowing gs third attack can get you 3 evades in a row), gs 3.

Normally i try to start fight on sword/dagger en tiger pet, i try to bait some blocks/evade/dodges first before i swap to gs and try and land maul. You have fury on weapon swap so you always have openingstrike after swap, the combo maul, auto attack, tiger f2gives fury, openingstrike, maul, hilt-hilt bash, pet swap, maul is a strong one if someone is kind enough to eat it all.
Basicly the gameplay of this build is, evading/kiting until you have a window of oppertunity and then go in for a burst.

pro’s: active defense, good burst, fun, needs brain to keep pets alive, good escape (double quickdraw leaps)
con’s: glassy, not much room for mistakes, conditions

my second build is a more defensive one which uses wildernes instead of skirmish.
This one is better vs condi, and good vs power builds aswell because of the protection on dodge rolls/barkskin 5% damage reduction with regen.
The playstyle is comparable to the first one, only there is less creativity with the weaponswap/quickdraw involved

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAsYRnUqANsg1CC+CCctgh/gq73bfG+04HO691zgAokpFG-TVRWABkoPAg9HoV9nBU+JhSQA-w

both of the builds arent optimal, but more a way of having fun again. Compared to druid the builds require more preventing to get hit instead of getting away after you get hit( as most druids seems to do )

Yes! This both look really great and just what I was looking for. I am tempted to ask if going marauder for the first one would hinder the build because the runes are there to add some meat on the bones and there is a decent access to triple shouts with 2 at short CD’s and good uptime with fury from the tiger. I really like this and the challenge/ actual dependency of risk to pull it off.

Im lucky that I just finished my last piece of my zerker ascended off set last night so I can go and slap this on my kitty ranger and give it some claws.

Thank you for them both happy hunting

EDIT: small adjustments to sentences

(edited by skystorm.9280)

in Ranger

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

Druids win by default of having Celestial Avatar.
Rangers cannot compete lacking CA.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in Ranger

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

[…]obviously being melee you can’t start a fight from far like you can with LB and instead[…]

Thank you in advance

While the both builds above aren’t bad, you should consider a boon sctaking build cuz the (better) damage (with might stacks) let you bring some toughness and better utilities. The warhorn and the bristleback can help you to keep range pressure. The build is a general idea rather than a real specific one :

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBhYD7kSFokFslFwWQgqFMwJU+fPAHePs9dA8vQB0wl8s0A-TVjIABbpTIQ1RA4JAwuKBfv/QSKB/RpweqIwmmg7UhQHlV2fRAASJCpAGbZE-w

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

in Ranger

Posted by: Weo weo.6378

Weo weo.6378

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBhYD7kSFokFslFwWQgqFsMLYORt5UW7JAUn+Ww/zC6DtEpfG-T1CHQBE4CAIONCD4gAQu9HEoSvHqEEgKDAwDAAc6Ckn6PH4IAQKgMnZB-w

I’ve adapted this from a mender’s duel build that’s worked quite well against most things except condi reapers due to lack of kiting and lesser condi clear with this set up. However that is easily fixed with signet of renewal Low ferocity was never an issue as you should be able to easily stack 25 might with a shout heavy build.

Multiple Class Disorder

in Ranger

skystorm.9280

[…]obviously being melee you can’t start a fight from far like you can with LB and instead[…]

Thank you in advance

While the both builds above aren’t bad, you should consider a boon sctaking build cuz the (better) damage (with might stacks) let you bring some toughness and better utilities. The warhorn and the bristleback can help you to keep range pressure. The build is a general idea rather than a real specific one :

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBhYD7kSFokFslFwWQgqFMwJU+fPAHePs9dA8vQB0wl8s0A-TVjIABbpTIQ1RA4JAwuKBfv/QSKB/RpweqIwmmg7UhQHlV2fRAASJCpAGbZE-w

Thank you very much for sharing – not a fan of warhorn though : /

in Ranger

borya.2964

Thank you in advance

Thank you very much for sharing – not a fan of warhorn though : /

Well, i am not especially a fan of warhorn but it simply outshines other offhands in this kind of build and compliments the GS :

- Hunter’s Call :
- 1200 range pressure (besides the Bristleback).
- Good damage overall (mostly with might stacks).
- Vulnerability stacking that compliments Maul’s GS.

Call of the Wild :
- Boons, obviously. In this build your perma regen, swiftness, fury, you can easily stack 10, 15, 25 mights and you have good access to protection and quickness duration.
- Unblockable attacks from your pet that now also compliments Maul’s GS.
- Blast finisher to blast your smoke cloud ’s smokescale without loosing GS 3 or Sword 2.

That’s a lot, really.

in Ranger

Ashkew.6584

I just put some fights together, i don’t play perfect nor am i claiming to, but these are the 2 builds i mentioned in action.

Most ppl i fought i have died to, but thats the nature of the first build, it can go eather way depending on performance. And yes my grahipcs are lame

https://youtu.be/2l-o351NfwY

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

The other day I ran into a HoT owner running a core melee ranger build. I didn’t take him seriously and facetanked all his mauls because he wasn’t a druid. Wound up losing a close fight. If I had taken him seriously he would have definitely lost. I just don’t think core ranger can stand up to druid and you’re losing out not having the utility it brings. The stealth, the condi removal, the CC, the heals…. it’s so much to lose for a bit of extra damage.

in Ranger

borya.2964

I just put some fights together, i don’t play perfect nor am i claiming to, but these are the 2 builds i mentioned in action.

Most ppl i fought i have died to, but thats the nature of the first build, it can go eather way depending on performance. And yes my grahipcs are lame

It’s short, but i like it (you also should consider a boon stacking build).

The other day I ran into a HoT owner running a core melee ranger build. I didn’t take him seriously and facetanked all his mauls because he wasn’t a druid. Wound up losing a close fight. If I had taken him seriously he would have definitely lost. I just don’t think core ranger can stand up to druid and you’re losing out not having the utility it brings. The stealth, the condi removal, the CC, the heals…. it’s so much to lose for a bit of extra damage.

I feel like you didn’t lost mostly cuz you’re a tanky druid but i could be wrong, it doesn"t matter. Anyways, this is more a feeling rather than a statement in my opinion.

This is not true especially in 1vs1, where core ranger is very good and actually better than druid, and especially core ranger vs druid cuz most of druids never mained ranger before hot. It’s pretty easy to kill druids with core ranger to me.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I’m full zerker, which is still extremely tanky as a druid. You can very easily 1vX as a glass druid, and core ranger will have more trouble even in tankier armor.

All MM gives to a melee ranger is extra damage, which isn’t worth giving up all the ulitity IMO. Even if you get the druid low, all he has to do is CS and heal up.

in Ranger

Ashkew.6584

i think druid is better, but for me the only reason to go core builds is because its for fun and less forgiving

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Ya I can definitely understand that. The ranger that beat me was probably about equal to me in skill and I almost killed him while drunkenly ignoring him.

I’ve never felt so invulnerable in WvW on any profession as I do these days roaming as a full glass druid. I will happily charge into anything or anyone no matter how many there are. Now I know how thieves must feel.

in Ranger

borya.2964

Yes, obviously core ranger is pretty much harder to play in 1 vs X fights. But the OP wants some challenge, so. Melee core ranger have the tools for roaming purpose (cleans, stun breaks, mobility and damage) and i keep thinking that CA is really not that mandatory. And it’s precisely cuz most druids rely too much on ( a very predictable) CA that they are easy to kill.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I’ll add even as a full ascended berseker druid with power infusions, I have pretty much zero percent chance to kill those kitten soldier’s and dire berserkers than run around, while I can see a core melee ranger with offhand dagger being able to pull it off. Those tank berserkers are just awful, I don’t know how anyone could find that fun.

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Nice video m8, is this a tribute for “gw2 fox” or somthing(he used to use to same pic on his melee ranger)?

in Ranger

Ashkew.6584

Thanks! Yea, kinda, I enjoyed watching his vids back in the days

in Ranger

skystorm.9280

I actually have better condi removal as a core ranger [wilderness survival – I carry 3 survival uti] and I get hit way less with my 5 dodges (I carry energy on both wep swaps) so I can cycle very well between dodging, keeping pet up and on them, avoiding Condi, and doing damage. My cc is something I don’t really worry about because I carry roots elite and that’s all I need to take someone down, my smokescale knockdown is up when I need it and the electric wyvern as well.

I am a big fan of druid though and I have been playing it since HoT almost religiously – just looking for a challenge because I’m so used to Druid now It’s ridiculous.

in Ranger

skystorm.9280

Yes, obviously core ranger is pretty much harder to play in 1 vs X fights. But the OP wants some challenge, so. Melee core ranger have the tools for roaming purpose (cleans, stun breaks, mobility and damage) and i keep thinking that CA is really not that mandatory. And it’s precisely cuz most druids rely too much on ( a very predictable) CA that they are easy to kill.

^ 100% this. Its about the ebb and flow of the meta and what variance of a profession do you encounter as a roamer; as an example nowadays on my server cluster I am seeing more and more ghost thieves and staff Daredevils and less standard D/P Daredevils. I would also see condi rangers sparringly but now its condi druid. Either way I agree that CA is becoming somewhat predictable (which is good because it forces the druids to learn to bait it) and gives early druid players an easy crutch to depend on.

What appeals to me from Druid is the major grandmaster “Ancient Seeds” trait. God I love this thing so much and the stealth from CA is such a great tool I really wish both of these had been available to core ranger from the start somehow.

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I’d go out on a limb and say double melee builds have a higher skill level than most other Ranger/Druid builds. Pre HoT that was pretty much my go to build along with traps and trapper runes. Solo roaming, small parties like HAVoC, I can see it working. That was a bit more forgiving with trapper runes at 3 seconds of stealth. I’ve gone back a few times since and just do not find it has reliable. Especially the heavy conditions and rate of application solo, small group, or be it Zerg.

But typical run of the mill zerg I would pass but that is just me. I prefer Toughness / Heal for most encounters camping LB and Staff.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Ranger

skystorm.9280

I’d go out on a limb and say double melee builds have a higher skill level than most other Ranger/Druid builds. Pre HoT that was pretty much my go to build along with traps and trapper runes. Solo roaming, small parties like HAVoC, I can see it working. That was a bit more forgiving with trapper runes at 3 seconds of stealth. I’ve gone back a few times since and just do not find it has reliable. Especially the heavy conditions and rate of application solo, small group, or be it Zerg.

But typical run of the mill zerg I would pass but that is just me. I prefer Toughness / Heal for most encounters camping LB and Staff.

I have been using ranger core melee and I have to agree with you that I am truly challenged more in terms of dodge timing being less forgiving and having to really use my taunt and smokescale+leap combos for stealth as a safe means to pop heal as one. Before as a druid I could easily stealth out and safe my taunt for a CC break as well but now I have to think 4 steps ahead and look where I am positioning the fight much more carefully. This is pretty much exactly what I have been looking for – the only downside is now I don’t have swiftness up 24/7 but GS leap and sword leap have compensated wonderfully.

In regards to what you have experienced with small parties and zergs – I can understand how it might not be as reliable and staff/lb + heal/tough is what I run as well actually.
I personally roam solo or with a small group of 2-3 people and it works for me but I gtfo when I see 10+ groups which again forces me to look around for camps to take or abuse the environment.

P.S. Thank you to everyone who posted your builds and have given your 2 cents!
I really have rediscovered my love for ranger core and I feel like I am back to when I was leveling on launch and all I wanted to play something akin to a ranger from LotR. Druid is still great and I use it in PvE/ open world fun times but I spend like 70% of my time in game WvW’ing it up, so having reached out to our ranger community and having legit feedback was really great