Mighty Ranger / High Level FOTM: 7/24/2013

in Ranger

Posted by: Spark Angel.2145

Spark Angel.2145

One thing I did with my new build is replaced “Protect Me!” with Sic ‘Em. It allows for more pet damage. I never really had a problem with survivability too much, but if the situation fits, I think I would rather have SoS instead of Protect me because I’m not throwing my pet under the bus then :P Then again, I haven’t used Protect Me too much so I don’t know much about it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

I tried this build since I already had the equipment for it and it is a blast.
i do not run fractals but normal pve content (solo and dungeons)

However i run it with LB/Sword+warhorn – and with optional 20% CD reduction on LB

Opening with warhorn 5 and 4 switching to longbow for 3+2 I can unload massive amount of hits.

th build works so well i am actually thinking about dropping some damage for boon duration.

without warhorn 4 and with a shortbow i do not come close to your 25 might stacks – more like 15 sometimes more but then random —- so not easy. With LB no problem.

what i discovered though is that warhorn 5 and the trait that shares your boon with your pet are not working together. basically the lon duration fury gets reduced to 5 secs which ist just plain stupid. —- should be additiv.

as for utility skills i am still experimenting

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Sword and fighting more than one enemy at once will make sure your pet will have a full stack of might most of the time, depending on the length of the fight ofc. Try to make sure to use pets that benefits from both the buffs – power and condition damage.

As for your boon sharing discovery – intended and have always worked like this since release, even if I for sure would very much like to see this limitation removed…

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

(edited by OGDeadHead.8326)

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Hmm I wonder why no one has suggested beastmaster’s bond because it procs with fortifying bond. I dont like thinking about a dying pet haha but it might work to some extent…gives the pet fury at least.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Ok, I’ve done some playtesting and additional theorycrafting. I’ve really starting to think this is a great starting point in dungeons. Try spirits with the vigorous spirit trait, they won’t let you down.

I’m pretty excited about this build overall. The damage is pretty intense and those spirits are survivors. I don’t go into dungeons without them now. Just be careful because as far as I know they do not stack so you only need one instance of every spirit (assuming you have two rangers in your team).

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in Ranger

Posted by: Skyhook.9876

Skyhook.9876

Chopps, would you consider getting signet of the beastmaster? Because, pets don’t crit as much as you would.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Ya you can play it that way. I don’t think of it in terms of max damage though. I would use sig of the beastmaster for a more defensive style. Now you can run signet of stone and signet if the wild for burst. The build would likely be 30/20/5/15/0 or 30/25/0/15/0 (the latter if you think the invulnerability means you don’t need natural vigor). Ideally, someone in the group will proc vigor boon, but you can’t always count on that, at least not in pickup groups. Personally, I think that extra vigor helps a ton in dungeons and it’s just 5 in wilderness survival.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

With today’s patch, this build should be even better. What’s your thoughts? Have you tested a similar build? What do you do to make it work for your playestyle?

in Ranger

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

LB #1 still puts me off.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

ranger DPS will never be the meta because every other class does it much better with half the effort . It is pure mathematics really , ranger benefits far less from power then other classes and on top of it its 20-whatever% of damage dies to a stiff breeze in high level content .

Furthermore dungeon bosses are designed to have low toughness and high HP pools hence condition specs are far less desirable then raw DPS ones , but i digress .

Do not kitten your party by having a subpar class in high level PvE content .

If you are going to blast a build at least have the honor to put one feel is more viable than the one posted and that works for the person posting.

How ridiculous.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Thank you! I love you! I got slammed for making this post. In fact, the original was posted in early june back when everyone still thought spirits sucked. I got repeatedly slammed for advocating spirits. Now tons of people call for a nerf! It’s almost too funny to believe.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Massive difference between PvP and PvE .

in Ranger

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

Ok, I’ve done some playtesting and additional theorycrafting. I’ve really starting to think this is a great starting point in dungeons. Try spirits with the vigorous spirit trait, they won’t let you down.

I’m pretty excited about this build overall. The damage is pretty intense and those spirits are survivors. I don’t go into dungeons without them now.Just be careful because as far as I know they do not stack so you only need one instance of every spirit (assuming you have two rangers in your team).

Untraited and traited spirits do stack. Try it out, massive fun and damage increase.

in Ranger

Himei.5379

I would personally go into this build for Dungeon/High level Fractals

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-F;4wEFx-h23EV-0;9;4JO-O-06-04;234;24J;4udbTudbTo-FwVHw6;2VOVTWYXcYi3o42o-G-2iu

It’s a game about max dps in dungeons and knowing the battles in FoTM. In high level fractals, you pretty much will go down in 1 hit 90% of the time so using anything besides Scholar runes doesnt matter unless your role is support/anchor.

This build will maximize your damage potential and give good amount of HP to survive some conditions. I say we actually have the most raw dps potential over all classes in this game. WS Grandmaster minor trait is Peak Strength, it’s our own personal Scholar rune.

Damage potential comes from :
- +10% from Scholar Runes at +90% HP
- +10% from Frost spirit
- +10% from Steady Focus trait
- +10% from Hunter’s Tactic Grandmaster minor trait
- +5% from Bountiful Hunter minor trait
- +5% from Sigil of Force or +10% from Sigil of Night

All this while your pet gain might stacks from sword auto, your crits, and the boons you receive.

Final stats WITHOUT food/oils is
HP – 18222
Attack 3358 Power 2408
Critical Hit 53% + 7% from Spotter Critical Damage 103%
Boon Duration 25%

(edited by Himei.5379)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

I was looking at using something like this for PVE/Champ farming in frostgorge and clockwork event farming. what do you think?

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=VG;4wEku-h2VDV-0;9-8U;1JO-E907-46;23;01;05ol9;2m9fgm9fgL3GzVIF6;2Vq5rar5sas5t50aW5s-D;17X7X-VC;9;9;9;9;9;1V1k3U

i changed a few points in the traits around and it shows my farming gear but you’ll get the picture

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Ya, himei, I came out with this build like a month before Brazil made the 20/25/0/25/0 build video. I think they’re really close in effectiveness-brazil’s is slight more vitality, slightly less vulnerability. I like to think this post inspired Guang and Brazil’s theory-crafting but I don’t think that’s the case.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

I was looking at using something like this for PVE/Champ farming in frostgorge and clockwork event farming. what do you think?

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=VG;4wEku-h2VDV-0;9-8U;1JO-E907-46;23;01;05ol9;2m9fgm9fgL3GzVIF6;2Vq5rar5sas5t50aW5s-D;17X7X-VC;9;9;9;9;9;1V1k3U

i changed a few points in the traits around and it shows my farming gear but you’ll get the picture

I hate to see how nasty your pet is with companion’s might, sigil of strength, fortifying bond, AND master’s bond. AND sick em. Lol awwww yis. That’s how you do beastmaster!

in Ranger

Prophet.1584

I hate to see how nasty your pet is with companion’s might, sigil of strength, fortifying bond, AND master’s bond. AND sick em. Lol awwww yis. That’s how you do beastmaster!

Thanks Chopps, there are only a few rangers who’s opinions i respect on these forums and your one of em. Thanks for the great build.

Edit: i tested this earlier and the pet is extremely nasty and my dps wasn’t too bad either. i don’t have full celestial gear yet but i’ll post a pic of my stats as they are now.

in Ranger

Prophet.1584

current stats without full celestial, i’m running a few explorer and knights pieces

Attachments:

in Ranger

Himei.5379

Ya, himei, I came out with this build like a month before Brazil made the 20/25/0/25/0 build video. I think they’re really close in effectiveness-brazil’s is slight more vitality, slightly less vulnerability. I like to think this post inspired Guang and Brazil’s theory-crafting but I don’t think that’s the case.

Been using that build for a long time for dungeons, it also allows me to switch to Valkyrie gear if my PUG party isnt too great so the extra Vit helps me survive.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Thank you! I love you! I got slammed for making this post. In fact, the original was posted in early june back when everyone still thought spirits sucked. I got repeatedly slammed for advocating spirits. Now tons of people call for a nerf! It’s almost too funny to believe.

People are calling for a nerf coz its OP in spvp only. Its still hella underpowered in WvW. Its not ideal placing down immobile buffs that have a long cooldown when you have to move around a lot. Even after traiting 30nm, they still die insanely fast from ZvZ aoes, and you’re left with empty utility skills.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Nature’s vengeance makes it blow up on the front lines and a blind could negate a good amount of damage. Other than that (letting them blow up and go off with the Nature’s Vengeance trait—spirits activate on death) spirits are tough to zerg with.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bas.7406

Bas.7406

chopps needs to clear out his private messages again :P. I miss playing my ranger more often. You should definitely get a video of this build in action soon.

in Ranger

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Chopps,

I Appreciate your Great Effort and Contribution to the Ranger Class.

You Deserve it alot.

Thank You!

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Burnfall,

I appreciate every comment you write. I love your style—it always makes me chuckle—never change.

—Chopps

in Ranger

Posted by: scanz.4536

scanz.4536

Any update to this one Chopps?

Retired my Ranger from WvW, but it’s my main when it comes to PvE and need to start doing some Fractals again so need to re-spec.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kjeldoran.3849

Kjeldoran.3849

OP

man, for the first time you disappointed me :<
really… as someone said “I stopped reading at full berserker gear”.
The problem here is that you get really low survival capabilities with a full zerker gear and in an high level fractal there are too many things you nedd to avoid and if only one of them hit you… you are dead. The most important thing when talking about “full zerker” gear is that almost everyone thinks that only with “full zerker gear” you get maximum damage; the truth is different: you get high damage but not so high as you think compared to a non full zerker damage oriented build, that’s the way.

Also to point on your drake in an high level fractal is really dangerous because you gan give it “might” “fury” or something else but it will die really quick especially if against AoE using bosses.

ps: i didn’t saw this thread was 2months old ò.ò

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

I stopped reading at full berserker gear

I had the same reaction lol, but honestly Chopps does try, I will give this build a try just for kicks.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Amanzaman.1297

Amanzaman.1297

I stopped reading at
Weapons: Sword / Torch and Axe / Axe
I am a ranger.Word ranger derives from the word RANGE,not close combat.
If I wanted to do melee,I would have made a warrior or something..

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

I stopped reading at

Arrgon much, other people have been over this they can do both just as well as the other if you build for it correctly aka Predators Onslaught+steady focus +_ spotter.

thread year old too

in Ranger

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

I stopped reading at

Why are you even commenting then?

Snow Crows [SC]

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Wrong forum.

U can find the necromancers here….
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

Word ranger derives from the word RANGE,not close combat.

BINGO!

Oh wait. Wrong forum.

in Ranger

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

Ranger definately comes from range..
Please get your axe/sb and post a build on the forums then.
I’m being sarcastic. Sarcastic comes from the word sarcasm, if I wanted to be nice I wouldn’t be an elitist.

toxic since 2012

in Ranger

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

I stopped reading at

Eeerrh, yes kinda, but that actually has very little to do with bows…

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/158019?rskey=QbKPb2&result=1#eid

The noun ranger is derived from the verb “to range” in the sense of “to roam” or “to wander around”.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I stopped reading at

The noun ranger is derived from the verb “to range” in the sense of “to roam” or “to wander around”.

And in this game you should wander around with a sword, not a bow.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Wrong forum.

U can find the necromancers here….
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer

Made my day

in Ranger

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I stopped reading at

I stopped reading at 7/24/2013…

Attachments:

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Ranger

Amanzaman.1297

I stopped reading at

Wrong.It derives from the word range,not to range.Look it up in english language dictionaries.

in Ranger

Amanzaman.1297

I stopped reading at

Why are you even commenting then?

Its not allowed to comment?Oh sorry Jesus,didnt recognise you..

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

Wrong.It derives from the word range,not to range.Look it up in english language dictionaries.

A ranger never has and never will be associated with “ranged combat only”.

If you wanted to do ranged combat only without gimping yourself, you’re playing the wrong game.

in Ranger

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

~snip~

Hmm… Sooo… you don´t consider the OED a dictionary of the English language then?

Here, I have another one for you.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/ranger

(edited by Skoigoth.9238)

in Ranger

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

I stopped reading at

Eh bored so I’ll add something as well. Famous Rangers in fantasy off the top of my head -

Aragorn – Mainly uses longsword. Occasionally uses a bow (Battle of Helms Deep I believe).
Drizzt Do’Urden – Dual wields short swords. Not sure about the bow.
Hank – From the DnD cartoon. Uses a bow.

That’s all I got. But only one relies on a bow the others are mainly melee combatants.

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.