Moment of Clarity [Idea]

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Moment of Clarity – After interrupting your foe, you and your pet will deal 50% more damage on your next attack.

Let’s sum up what’s wrong with this trait.

• It’s an ability designed for buffing up burst damage after successful interrupt
    But the problems are:
  1. Ranger was designed as a class with stable DPS without burst damage
  2. Ranger has currently only 3 hard hitting abilities: Maul, Rapid Fire, Path of Scars
  3. Rapid Fire is not a subject for this boost because it’s calculated as 10 independent attacks
  4. Path of Scars cannot apply it because the ability itself is what triggers the trait and we have no main-hand weapon that possesses an interrupt, neither a utility ability
  5. Maul is the only ability that works with this trait.

The problem is, that it’s not worth choosing Moment of Clarity instead of Signet buffs. Reason is simple. With signet of Hunt and Remorseless – you outshined MoC into oblivion

• Note: Signet of the hunt has similar cooldown to Hilt Bash, and will trigger the damage buff 100%. Hilt bash has to interrupt the target.

Ideas for change:
The trait’s idea and goal seem fine and rewarding. But it lacks strength. What I suggest is adding another effect and changing the pattern in which the damage is applied:

• If you successfully interrupt an enemy, your next basic attack apply 15 Stacks of Vulnerability for 10 seconds and will deal 250% damage.

Explanation: Ranger is currently in lack of spiky damage and his highest DPS output comes from autoattacks. By changing the mechanic into buffing auto attacks only, it would avoid making abilities OP and would make the trait appealing for every Power/Hybrid weapon. Would also promote Longbow’s #4 for smart play and add some love to Ranger Combat that it’s going to be really harsh in HoT because of all the Retaliation, Reflects and Projectile denial that has been added.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

(edited by Tragic Positive.9356)

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

250% damage or 250% more damage? Either way thats way too much.
Assuming LB autoattack crits for 3.5k

3.5k*2.5 = 8.75k

You can easily slot sigil of air/fire and one-shot eles/mesmers/thieves with LB autoattack then.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Not sure if the vulnerability stack is necessary due to the rework of regaining Opening Strikes thru Fury. I’ll also agree that 250% more damage is pretty high. If you meant +250% damage, it’s still on the high end.

Before, the 50% extra damage was not enough make it worthwhile. However, with Remorseless giving Opening Strikes 25% more damage, it can be used together to make things a bit more dangerous.

If there’s one thing that would improve Moment of Clarity, it is to remove the internal cooldown. If you want to change it up to make it appealing, extend its value so MoC makes the next attack for you and your pet do more damage and is unblockable. That alone would come into play much more for many build types than vulnerability stacks.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I like the idea, I have dropped MoC as a trait for HoT changes as it is definitely lacklustre next to Beastmaster’s Might.

I like your suggestion, but there is something missing from it, imo, I would drop the vulnerability for some damaging condition such as Torment or Confusion so that it could be used more effectively with a hybrid condition build? I would also make the next attack have the leech effect instead of the 250% as I think that is a bit high and offers no utility.

I’m of the opinion that each tier should give a trait for each type of build, one that is universal (hybrid/support/pet), one Power orientated and one condition orientated. In Master tier MM, we have Power with Steady Focus, Universal with Beastmasters Might but no condition orientated one. My $0.02.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Adding Confusion to MoC would be nice, but that would feel like a delayed version of Distracting Strikes since it would apply on the next hit. Perhaps alter it so MoC applies confusion on interrupting a foe, as well as gaining an Attack of Opportunity on the next attack?

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Adding Confusion to MoC would be nice, but that would feel like a delayed version of Distracting Strikes since it would apply on the next hit. Perhaps alter it so MoC applies confusion on interrupting a foe, as well as gaining an Attack of Opportunity on the next attack?

Yeah, that is pretty much what I meant, having MoC apply the confusion. Distracting Strikes applies 4 stacks for 8 seconds (32 ticks), I would like to see like 10 stacks for 3s (30 ticks) so that it is quite powerful, but can also be countered by just being aware and not using skills. I still think that the AoO can either be super underpowered, like when using condi SB or super OP like with Power Maul or PoS. That is why I prefer the leech effect, its a 1k damage and 1k heal which works with everything.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

You are right. The 250% might be a bit too much but I found it bearable.
Rangers never had moment where they were best at something. And promoting the Ranger combat that has been our only upper hand seemed fine to me. Especially when half of the changes in HoT are anti-ranged. Not to mention the rare number where you’ll activate this trait. Not to mention that Rangers now are like the only class that isn’t able to 1-shot anyone unlike Other Zerk classes.

Also, I am currently not aware of Ranger being able to kill a target in 3 auto-hits, so far. But I’ll admit that I haven’t visited WvW in some time, so I might be wrong. For melee and semi-ranged (Axe/SB) the number seemed fine.

Anyways, the current bonus damage multiplier is simply overrated. It works with 1 weapon only, with a single sequence only, and is noticeable only on an ability that everyone already learned to dodge (Maul). Not to mention that it’s hard to interrupt an enemy with an ability that locks your movement and has a cast time as well as obvious animation.

A reward for success in all of these prerequisites should be of a higher level. Another idea I had was:
“Your next ability will have the effect increased by 30% (Boon/Condition durations, damage, pushback/pull distance)”

This would increase the burst or utility you can provide but would finally be reliable. The damage numbers were naturally cut down for a trade of much better versatility.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Lb auto is a decent candidate for MoC use. Removing the icd would be nice, allowing pet interrupts to trigger it would be nice. As it is, I will probably use it over the alternatives.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

Moment of Clarity – After interrupting your foe, you and your pet will deal 50% more damage on your next attack.

Let’s sum up what’s wrong with this trait.

• It’s an ability designed for buffing up burst damage after successful interrupt
    But the problems are:
  1. Ranger was designed as a class with stable DPS without burst damage
  2. Ranger has currently only 3 hard hitting abilities: Maul, Rapid Fire, Path of Scars
  3. Rapid Fire is not a subject for this boost because it’s calculated as 10 independent attacks
  4. Path of Scars cannot apply it because the ability itself is what triggers the trait and we have no main-hand weapon that possesses an interrupt, neither a utility ability
  5. Maul is the only ability that works with this trait.

The problem is, that it’s not worth choosing Moment of Clarity instead of Signet buffs. Reason is simple. With signet of Hunt and Remorseless – you outshined MoC into oblivion

• Note: Signet of the hunt has similar cooldown to Hilt Bash, and will trigger the damage buff 100%. Hilt bash has to interrupt the target.

Ideas for change:
The trait’s idea and goal seem fine and rewarding. But it lacks strength. What I suggest is adding another effect and changing the pattern in which the damage is applied:

• If you successfully interrupt an enemy, your next basic attack apply 15 Stacks of Vulnerability for 10 seconds and will deal 250% damage.

Explanation: Ranger is currently in lack of spiky damage and his highest DPS output comes from autoattacks. By changing the mechanic into buffing auto attacks only, it would avoid making abilities OP and would make the trait appealing for every Power/Hybrid weapon. Would also promote Longbow’s #4 for smart play and add some love to Ranger Combat that it’s going to be really harsh in HoT because of all the Retaliation, Reflects and Projectile denial that has been added.

I like this idea I think it would have better synergy with ranger if it worked something similar to the thief signet though making it apply vulnerability and doing 10-20% more damage on the next 5 attacks, the same goes for signet of the hunt actually.

The more I think on it MoC and signet of the hunt seem perfect skills for a thief and their counterparts for us.

(edited by Manekk.6981)

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

MOC is very strong in HOT, new trait line system. It competes with the Signet trait for a reason.
Players who chooses to go with survival /shout build will go with this trait and will trigger remorseless out of fury(very strong combo with SOTF).
Also dont forget the new trait quickdraw , which will let you use hitbash and Path of Scars much more frequently.
MOC is best used on melee builds and not LB and its amazing with POS, the double hit can do like 8+k damage.
Even if u don’t remove the CD on the trait, you can go hitbash+ maul wait 6 sec and another hitbash+maul → swap weapon → POS wait like 6 sec another POS. Its 4 MOC activations in the cd Druration with of one -signet of Hunt

I say don’t touch it(maybe remove ICD) its very strong as a master trait and promotes good timing and skill.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

LughLongArm – I explained why Path of Scars does not activate the trait.
… Path of Scars is the ability which triggers the trait on the 2nd hit (which is the last) – thus it can be used with the boost only with a cooldown of … As long as 15 seconds. And you sincerely do not want to tell me you are going to wait 15 seconds without using a single attack just to trigger the trait efficiently, do you?

The Maul is correct – as I stated – the only viable way to use the trait – which is a disappointment for Master Trait. If you activate the MoC through Hilt Bash – you might as well use it for Maul. There is no way for you to use MoC to boost Path of Scars.

And truth be told, if you manage to get Remorseless and MoC in one hit – it’s similar to winning a Jackpot. You’ll feel incredible but the chances are so slim, that you’d have to pay 5 times the price in order to get the reward. Because:

• Getting Fury from BM traits on GS is a RNG.
  • Getting Fury from Weapon Swap cannot be used because you’ll need to use Hilt Bash – which will consume Remorseless
  • Using Hilt Bash doesn’t guarantee you the proc of MoC. It works only if you interrupt
  • Path of Scars will only buff a basic attack of your main hand weapon. The only combo to use it would be: Rooting the enemy > Using PoS, managing to interrupt the enemy > cancelling auto attacks > Swap the weapon and hit him Rooted and Knocked
    And a master trait for such a drastic prerequisite is a joke.

And the problem is:

• Using Signet of the hunt Itself grants you 100% Fury Proc, guaranteed +50% damage on your next attack (identical to MoC) and you can control when you are going to use it.
  • Has only slightly longer cooldown than Hilt Bash.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

6k+ knockbacks from GS4 are pretty nice too, so maul is not the only skill, that benefits from MoC.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

Hi, You’r right regarding POS, its not optimal for MOC.
But, MOC build with remorless, fruy and quickdraw will out shine Signet build and this is why.

1) You forgot fury on pet swap(from MM first trait) you forgot fury from RAO you forgot fury from survival skill activation(the WS last trait), lots of ways to combo fury and quickdraw +hit bash with with very short CD. 2 hitbash(2 chances t o get your maul combo) in one SOTH cd druation. And you dont “waste” a utility skill to do that. Before you’ll mention SOTH is also good for mobility, remember that after patch swiftness is dirt cheap with call of the wild on pet swap so that alone overwrites the signet passive effect freeing up space to much better stuff.

2)We havnt realy explored of the boar play yet. The smae way simaoth got very popular for lb builds after the RP change, boar might be a new rising star for MOC builds. Also, our new wepaon/utilites mechanisim, might give us additional interupt or a big burst option.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

6k+ knockbacks from GS4 are pretty nice too, so maul is not the only skill, that benefits from MoC.

You absolutely right, totally forgot about that, and its another MOC activator which you can chain.
MOC with swoop can also do like 3.5k damage.

(edited by LughLongArm.5460)

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

PoS will trigger MoC, because PoS can hit twice on the way back, once AFTER the pull for three hits total. At least, it used to, that was how I farmed karka, you can see the vid in my sig.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

PoS will trigger MoC, because PoS can hit twice on the way back, once AFTER the pull for three hits total.

On the same target? How?

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

It just does seems to happen more often when the target has a movement impeding condition on them, but it hits 3 times every time on karka and I’ve had it hit 3 times plenty of times in WvW, especially if you are backpedalling.

I haven’t played in 7 months, so it may not now, but like I said, look at the video in my sig.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

It just does seems to happen more often when the target has a movement impeding condition on them, but it hits 3 times every time on karka and I’ve had it hit 3 times plenty of times in WvW, especially if you are backpedalling.

I haven’t played in 7 months, so it may not now, but like I said, look at the video in my sig.

Cool^^

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Another unreliable, yes. I can see you wasting 3 seconds of your stun after successfully interrupting an ability with Hilt Bash without using a single attack, just so you can try to use #4 and hope it will hit (another movement lock ability).

Well, if you think the roulette that requires you to turn off Auto-Attacks or superhuman reflexes for Pet Swap is worth the trait, then my idea to buff it is out of the question.

Clear Signet mastery for me – it is.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

UmbraNoctis.1907

Counterattack itself triggers MoC, and the dmg is applied after the interrupt, so i didn’t need Hiltbash (or another interupt) there. It is actually more reliable than HB→Maul combo.

(edited by UmbraNoctis.1907)

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Counterattack itself triggers MoC, and the dmg is applied after the interrupt, so i didn’t need Hiltbash (or another interupt) there. It is actually more reliable than HB->Maul combo.

Exactly – the damage is applied after the interrupt… From the attack that follows – which – correct me if I’m wrong – is 90% times an auto-attack.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

UmbraNoctis.1907

I’m talking about the dmg from counterattack. It interrupts and at the same time the dmg bonus from MoC is applied to the dmg of the knockback.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I’m talking about the dmg from counterattack. It interrupts and at the same time the dmg bonus from MoC is applied to the dmg of the knockback.

And how, Sir, would that happen? You have no idea how the trait works, am I correct?

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The interrupt and MoC is applied before the damage is done? Things like that happen with skills in GW all the time, has that been tested?

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

The interrupt and MoC is applied before the damage is done? Things like that happen with skills in GW all the time, has that been tested?

I spent like 20 minutes dying in hotspot with autoattacks off just to bump into someone with channels (one Necro ended my misery)… And yep, after counter-attack I ended up with the buff.
(You can probably tell how difficult it is to trigger the interrupt from an ability that activates on completing the cast)

Which means it’s impossible for Couner-Attack to apply MoC as well as trigger it. People tried to brainstorm a bit and didn’t realize how the mechanic works.

(edited by Tragic Positive.9356)

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I spent like 20 minutes dying in hotspot with autoattacks off just to bump into someone with channels (one Necro ended my misery)… And yep, after counter-attack I ended up with the buff.
(You can probably tell how difficult it is to trigger the interrupt from an ability that activates on completing the cast)

Which means it’s impossible for Couner-Attack to apply MoC as well as trigger it. People tried to brainstorm a bit and didn’t realize how the mechanic works.

Thanks for testing that, good to know.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

UmbraNoctis.1907

Aside from MoC I was using exactly the same build for the whole video. With MoC, Counterattack hits significantly harder than without it. Please explain me how this can happen, if it is not the dmg bonus from MoC …

Edit: Meh, didn’t noticed the second test for CA without MoC is missing (1,9k crit). I will upload a new version.

Edit2: new video

(edited by UmbraNoctis.1907)

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I have to double up this. The training dummies in PvP section consume the MoC even for me. The combat log does not even mention gaining MoC, nor ending, but the damage is applied.

The sequence, though, is Dealing the damage – then interruption. So basically a bug. Finally one to our advantage.

I’ll do some more testing in hotjoin to find out why did it not happen against players, or whether it was just a coincidence, or a failure from my side.

Moment of Clarity [Idea]

in Ranger

UmbraNoctis.1907

For me, this definitely happens against players too.