More Ascended gear vs. Pets

in Ranger

Posted by: Samitan.6192

Samitan.6192

With Ascended weapons being released next week will our pets be even more disadvantaged due to the fact that ~40% of our damage comes from them and therefore with Ascended weapons ~40% of our damage will not benefit from the upgraded stats.

I feel that maybe they SHOULD make the pet’s stats based off of the Ranger’s otherwise with the Ascended armor coming out as well the effectiveness of the pet is just going to decrease more and more and as we all know they weren’t that great to begin with.

Any thoughts on this matter like alternative method of dealing with this issue?

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Let’t just wait and see what the stats of the new weapons (and eventual new armour in the future) will be and then we can discuss this….

Kima & Co

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I think a more interesting question is; with ascended weapons being put into the game, will the higher damage output from foes in PvP, cause the pet to have an even harder time surviving AoE damage?

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I think it’s an obvious predictable problem and there’s no reason to wait to discuss it. Ascended weapons seem like a big boost to characters dealing direct damage with weapons (using power/crit multipliers) and a small boost to characters using non-weapon damage such a pets. What could be put into the game design to maintain balance for pet classes?

in Ranger

Posted by: Vaxx.3178

Vaxx.3178

I think a more interesting question is; with ascended weapons being put into the game, will the higher damage output from foes in PvP, cause the pet to have an even harder time surviving AoE damage?

Isn’t that pretty much a given?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

It completely depends on how much more damage the ascended weapons will deal.

The pet just needs some AoE damage reduction, as the Ranger community have been suggesting for months now.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Let’t just wait and see what the stats of the new weapons (and eventual new armour in the future) will be and then we can discuss this….

While you’re right and we should probably wait, things move slowly with ANet and seeing the amount of attention this class gets, it’s probably better to raise the issue sooner rather than later.

And the OP’s right… if they don’t adjust pet damage and survivability up, they will be disadvantaged. Of course I wouldn’t expect much, but the Ranger is in a state now where we should give up anything.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

I think the simplest fix would be to boost pet stats based on armor type. Example would be if I am wearing Masterwork armor my pets stat would be as they are now.
With the increase in stats to follow the quality boost in gear.

Rare 10% stat bonus
Exotic 30% stat bonus
Ascended 40% stat bonus

the specific values can be determine later.

I don’t want to be OP but the difference in rare and ascended is 30% that makes a big difference.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Samitan.6192

Samitan.6192

That’s not a bad idea, obviously you would probably need to reach a certain percentage of a rarity of armor to have your pet’s attributes increased to the next level. For example if over 50% of you gear is ascended then your pet qualifies to have the ascended level stat boost.

I don’t think it would be right for us to have 100% ascended gear to qualify for the stat boost as equipment like accessories are quite difficult to obtain especially for myself that doesn’t play everyday and therefore doesn’t always acquire a laurel.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Or introduce trinkets of some sort for pets.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’m ok with our pets not scaling off us (as most know I actually like that) but the pets were balanced around exotic gear, not ascended, in PvE and WvW we need our pets to get “ascended” once the owner has so many ascended pieces of gear to help it keep up.

NOTE: all pets other than rangers scale off of the owner so no other prof should get this thing to avoid being over powered.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

I’m ok with our pets not scaling off us (as most know I actually like that) but the pets were balanced around exotic gear, not ascended, in PvE and WvW we need our pets to get “ascended” once the owner has so many ascended pieces of gear to help it keep up.

NOTE: all pets other than rangers scale off of the owner so no other prof should get this thing to avoid being over powered.

Do other pets scale from their owner? I’m not so sure about that. It’s easy enough to test. I’ll load up my Elementalist today and try out her minion naked and compare it to full berserker.

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

You know, if you could perma-stow your pet and get that 40%~ damage back, the point of balancing the pet around any type of gear would be moot

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Judging from past experiences it’s safe to assume pets will get ignored with the power creep. Just try to remember how long it took for them even to add agony resistance to pets after fractals were introduced.
Would be much easier of the pets would scale of the ranger instead.

I would just hope that they would take some pride in their work like real professionals do , i can’t imagine anyone working at anet is happy with the poorest pet system implementation in the last decade in mmo’s.

All is vain.

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

It completely depends on how much more damage the ascended weapons will deal.

The pet just needs some AoE damage reduction, as the Ranger community have been suggesting for months now.

And, have the gods listened? I’m worried.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

Or introduce trinkets of some sort for pets.

Great, so not only do we have to buy/acquire trinkets for ourselves but now we have to buy/acquire trinkets for our pets? Will Necro’s have to buy all their minions trinkets as well?

How about this… Legendary Pets? So we have to make 2 legendary’s to gain the 100% stat boost all other class will get with the up coming Legendary stat gain.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

(edited by NargofWoV.4267)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Do other pets scale from their owner? I’m not so sure about that. It’s easy enough to test. I’ll load up my Elementalist today and try out her minion naked and compare it to full berserker.

Actually idk if ele does, i know that thieves, phantasms, and minions do (all to varying degrees)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

Anybody else still ticked that pets don’t have stats like healing power, or condition damage? I might even use my sylvan hound if it had healing power. I mean, it has a section for it on the pet selection screen, it’s just all set to 0.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Very valid point here, the devs really need to comment on this.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

I don’t think the devs need to comment. You know as a rule they don’t tell us about things until they happen. While I am concern about it worry is thinking turned toxic.

If they have address this issue already we wont know what form it has taken. If they have not it maybe to evaluate the power creep before making a move.

I think we have to wait and see.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

There’s nothing to wait for. … There’s no surprises. Everyone’s going to get Berserker b/c it’s the only thing you’re allowed to run in any kind of frequent repetitive Guild or Dungeon based grouping. And the only way to stop that, and thus stop Ranger’s further lowering on the totem pole, is if there was no Berserker Stat set being made available for Ascended. And then NO ONE would bother crafting it. This is an all or nothing deal. There are no shades of grey to be had here, least of all with the Pet…

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

There’s nothing to wait for. … There’s no surprises. Everyone’s going to get Berserker b/c it’s the only thing you’re allowed to run in any kind of frequent repetitive Guild or Dungeon based grouping. And the only way to stop that, and thus stop Ranger’s further lowering on the totem pole, is if there was no Berserker Stat set being made available for Ascended. And then NO ONE would bother crafting it. This is an all or nothing deal. There are no shades of grey to be had here, least of all with the Pet…

Boost armor of mobs across the board, add in more mobs that apply weakness/protection, reduce some mob HP bars (so condis are more viable) make some more fights attrition based, congrats, zerker or GTFO is dead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Since march 26, 2013

“Pets now benefit from their owner’s agony resistance”

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: Hax.8701

Hax.8701

I kinda like being completely condition and having my wolf or jaguar rip them to shreds with physical damage.

[Bae] Baewatch
Hax Shot
DH

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Since march 26, 2013

“Pets now benefit from their owner’s agony resistance”

That’s not the problem.

in Ranger

Posted by: Silverkung.9127

Silverkung.9127

Too bad we ranger no have rare/exotic/Ascended Pet…
We got just normal pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Asthalon.6875

Asthalon.6875

Change the Beastmastery bonus from a flat 1:10 attribute ratio to getting 1% of the master’s base stats (Core+Traits+Gear; exclude temporary buffs like food, might, sigil stacks, etc.).

You could run up some pretty potent numbers in a stat or two (+600 at 30 points if you have 2000 in something), but that would be at a similar expense to your own weaknesses. Would also allow to transfer healing/condi bonuses to the pet, which would be a nice boost.

I’ll admit that I haven’t really looked at how the math would work for lower levels. At work and too lazy…

in Ranger

Posted by: SafiMoyo.5130

SafiMoyo.5130

Pet’s USED to be up to 40% of our damage. Since that statement was made, we had ascended trinkets come out, pets’ damage nerfed by 25-50%, and ascended weapons coming out next week. We will have improved 11% of our 60% damage while pets have been hurt 50% of their 40% damage.

If the ratio was 40:60 prior to the nerf, then after the nerf it’s 25:75 (meaning pets only do 25% of our damage now. Keep in mind we did lose a flat 20%, but percent math is weird like this). With the 11% boost from exotic to ascended, the ratio becomes 23:77. We lost 10-20% of our damage due to the pet nerf, and on top of this, from exotic→ascended we will be missing out on another 2.75%, totaling a DPS loss of up to 22.75% between now and a few months ago.

Champion Hunter

in Ranger

thefantasticg.3984

Doesn’t matter anymore to me, Moyo. My Guardian has all the maps opened up and completely geared. So, it’s ready to be my new main.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Doesn’t matter anymore to me, Moyo. My Guardian has all the maps opened up and completely geared. So, it’s ready to be my new main.

I’m still waiting on picking between ele and mes… the race is the main thing that’s killing me lol!

Unless ranger gets some love soon i’m hopin to one of the other profs i like to play, catching up in PvE is gonna be a kitten though =(

in Ranger

thefantasticg.3984

Mes is very fun to play. I haven’t touched the ele. If there was some constant speed buff I could use with the Mes that’d be my main. I imagine in the end I won’t have a main anymore. It’ll just be a choice between my five 80s that fits the situation best… Like when it comes time to use the forge I will use my Ranger — when I can perma-stow my pet my Ranger will be my main again.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Considering we have been saying this since ascended was first revealed and still nothing has been said, don’t expect any fixes ever.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Mes is very fun to play. I haven’t touched the ele. If there was some constant speed buff I could use with the Mes that’d be my main. I imagine in the end I won’t have a main anymore. It’ll just be a choice between my five 80s that fits the situation best… Like when it comes time to use the forge I will use my Ranger — when I can perma-stow my pet my Ranger will be my main again.

I don’t want perma stow on the pet (unless they completely revamp the pet mechanic) because that’d just be a bandaid fix, but i’m sick of being second rate just due to my prof, it’s annoying. When i can go and play a mesmer or ele and be significantly better at them than my ranger just because they’re not kitten… somethings wrong (have been playing ranger almost exclusively, key word ALMOST, for over a year).

Hopefully they’ll just get their head out of their kitten and get us balanced WITHOUT 100% pet uptime in mind. Or make the pet actually able to do 100% pet uptime OR make the pet more like how BM hunters were in WoW where it was a lot of procs that buffed your pet which caused them to proc stuff to buff you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Honestly guys, have you ever considered that they do not know how to fix this ?? Or that they do not care ??

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

I don’t want perma stow on the pet (unless they completely revamp the pet mechanic) because that’d just be a bandaid fix, but i’m sick of being second rate just due to my prof, it’s annoying. When i can go and play a mesmer or ele and be significantly better at them than my ranger just because they’re not kitten… somethings wrong (have been playing ranger almost exclusively, key word ALMOST, for over a year).

Hopefully they’ll just get their head out of their kitten and get us balanced WITHOUT 100% pet uptime in mind. Or make the pet actually able to do 100% pet uptime OR make the pet more like how BM hunters were in WoW where it was a lot of procs that buffed your pet which caused them to proc stuff to buff you.

When you sit down and really think about what the pet is in this game, it’s effectively a DOT. You apply it to a target, it ticks for about 1k every 3-4 seconds, the end. While more beneficial than a DOT simply because it can’t be cleansed… I’m not sure it’s powerful enough to warrant a coefficient adjustment on all our weapon attacks just because it exists.

If they would have treated the pet as nothing more than a DOT from the beginning instead of trying to make it more than their programmers are capable of allowing the pet to be, this class wouldn’t be in nearly as bad a shape as it is right now.

They could have made all the pets do the same damage, have the same health and armor, and have the same rough skills. Since this class has such an obscene lack of burst and utility options, this is where they could have made the pets a more valuable addition to this class so they weren’t so boring. Each pet family had a unique aura and a unique F2 ability that either provided high burst or extra utility. Granted this class would have turned more into a bard maybe, but so be it. At least the class would have a functional role to fill in this game.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

When you sit down and really think about what the pet is in this game, it’s effectively a DOT. You apply it to a target, it ticks for about 1k every 3-4 seconds, the end. While more beneficial than a DOT simply because it can’t be cleansed… I’m not sure it’s powerful enough to warrant a coefficient adjustment on all our weapon attacks just because it exists.

If they would have treated the pet as nothing more than a DOT from the beginning instead of trying to make it more than their programmers are capable of allowing the pet to be, this class wouldn’t be in nearly as bad a shape as it is right now.

They could have made all the pets do the same damage, have the same health and armor, and have the same rough skills. Since this class has such an obscene lack of burst and utility options, this is where they could have made the pets a more valuable addition to this class so they weren’t so boring. Each pet family had a unique aura and a unique F2 ability that either provided high burst or extra utility. Granted this class would have turned more into a bard maybe, but so be it. At least the class would have a functional role to fill in this game.

I don’t see how it’d be like a bard, but yeah it’d be better… If they even just fixed our utility skills (which are awful and boring when compared to everyone else’s) it’d be a lot better…

And our pet is a dot, that can be cleansed easier than most other dots IE hit it hard with an AoE, and has a 60s CD when it’s cleansed and shuts us down because said for is designed to be a massive chunk of our damage…

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Honestly guys, have you ever considered that they do not know how to fix this ?? Or that they do not care ??

I think a lot of us have come to that unfortunate conclusion but it’s a free to play game (sort of) that has the potential to be good if just prodded enough in the right direction.

It’s kind of like getting a free scratch off every month. Maybe you’ll get something and while statistics and personal experience say it’s not likely, it’s free so you figure might as well try.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

thefantasticg.3984

It’s been a year. They aren’t going to fix it either because they don’t know how or don’t care to (like many of us have already concluded and was pointed out in the above posts). I think the bandaid fix of perma-stow is the best we can hope for.

in Ranger

Posted by: akallou.9704

akallou.9704

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Please buff pets accordingly to the release of new ascended gear stats.

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

i think this is a great opportunity to introduce new, ascended pets whats… you know… working. not just like old ones…

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+