Need suggestions for build.

in Ranger

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Hi there. I need some advice from you awesome players, as to what I can build to help myself a bit in dungeons and especially FotM.

Currently (I don’t have entirely awesome exotics, but it’s getting close) I am running the standard “I want to kill everything” which is great for rushing through PvE generel. I’m starting to have a hard time in FotM though. I run Power, Precision and Crit on my gear, and have 30/30/10/0/0 traits focused on damage too.
While I sure hit like a truck with my shortbow, I have 2 issues.

1) What should my alternative weapon be? Longbow is useless most of the time in my experience, I hear that Greatsword is bad on a ranger, which leaves me with sword + warhorn or torch? Warhorn has nice buffs, but torch gives the option to use combo field. Not sure how to pick one over the other?

2) I’m starting to die some in Fractals. Sometimes it is because I don’t get my party, sometimes because I mess up. I think what I need here is some kind of emergency save when i mess up, but I would really like some suggestions here as to what I can do? Only thing that jumps to mind is the skill with 6 seconds of invulnerability to my pet, which i can trait to work for me too. Any other ideas please?

I want to keep being a heavy hitter, but well, if I’m downed I don’t do much damage

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: Luriyu.6873

Luriyu.6873

firstly, get familiar with all the weapons. get proficient a close range weapon because sometimes you’ll feel useless because your ranged weapons won’t hit.

i generally run Shortbow & Sword/Warhorn for pvp, and pve. but i carry an axe and long bow just in case the situation calls for it. i mainly just do WvW and PvP now mainly because dungeons aren’t my thing.

What i understand though is that pure-dps, glass cannons are suffering as a whole on FoTM. so speck up into some hp gear, and/or healing gear.

you can substitute a drop in dps with increase burst by putting 5 pts into beast mastery.

your weapon choice should also aid your pets. and your pets should aid your weapon choice.

since i run duel dogs, i’m maximizing knockdowns and control. using a rune of rage and quickness on switch you can chain 5-6 seconds of quickness. also, depending on your party you may want to increase your condition damage since you’re running shortbow.

depends on how you want to play, tbh.

EDIT:

by current allocations is:

0/30/30/5/5

i run with knights gear (power, toughness, pricision), with carrion and valkarie trinkets. i don’t really use sigils but full orbs.

i think my dmg stat is around 3k, my armor is at 2.8k, my hp is just 19.5k

(edited by Luriyu.6873)

in Ranger

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

This actually sounds very decent. I never considered going in heavy on condition damage, and it actually helps me survive too. While i love having the extra power and some of the traits from it, I’d really like to hear what traits you picked in Wilderness Survival, and why?

I never realized the 5 into Beastmastery gave double attack speed, thought it was movespeed only.. This is actually quite awesome too, I will definitly consider that one too.

Edit; Then again, removing power traits also takes 30% duration off the conditions :/

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

(edited by Treeline.3865)

in Ranger

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

What utility skills you using? Also what pets.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243