New Pets: Ideas/Suggestions

in Ranger

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I want to start up a listing of new pet ideas that people would like to see implemented. I figured I’d start a catch all with this post. So if you want to see a new pet added to the system for either an update, expansion, or even a black lion buy, list it here.

My suggestion is to add more of the monsterous pets like the drakes. For example, I’d like to have a Ridgeback Scale as an amphibian pet. I’d even pay RL money at the Black Lion for it, even if it had the same abilities as other pets (ie just a skin-over like the HoM pets).

So for example, my #1 request is a Ridgeback Scale.

I’m going to edit this periodically to include other specific suggestions in this post and other threads.

Here is the current request list broken down into types:

Amphibian:
-Large Ridgeback Scale
-Crab
-Crocodile
-Turtle
-Otter
-Walrus
-Dragon
-Any Mythological Creature

Terrestrial:
-Griffon
-Raptor
-Wurm
-Minotaur
-Oakheart
-Branded Creatures
-Snake
-Rockdog
-Warg
-Any of the weasel family: Badger, Wolverine, Ferret etc.
-Warbeasts of Harathi Hinterlands
-Armadillo
-Grub
-Fox
-Rabbit
-Dolyak
-Stag
-Tropical Birds: Parrot, Macaw, etc.
-Moose
-Phoenix
-Flamingo
-Cliff Bat
-Lion: Male and Female versions
-Ram
-Longhorned Sheep
-Other subtypes of canine
-House Cat
-Translucent Wolf Spirt
-Gorilla
-Swarm of Insects: Bees, Hornets, Wasps, etc.
-Large Praying Mantis
-Prehistoric Creatures
-Sabertooth Tiger
-Alpine Stalker
-Colocal
-Skelk

Aquatic:
-Eel
-Lighting Fish (Deep sea types?)
-Dolphin
-Whale
-Tuna
-Barracuda
-Sunfish
-Goliath Tigerfish
-Angler
-Wels Catfish

In general, to be able to charm any creature out there would be nice.

Also, one thing that bothers several people is that the pet size does not change at all. A pet should grow in size with level ala GW1.

Purchaseable armor, accessories, etc. from the Gem Store was also suggested.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

(edited by Lonewolf Kai.3682)

in Ranger

Posted by: Athens.6125

Athens.6125

I kept on walking around the Charr starting area looking for the juvenile Charr to tame…hehe

I can totally see my Asura ranger with a Charr pet!

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

That’s pretty funny, but don’t see that happening :p

I see another similar post was made with a specific title of griffon in it, but I’d like to combine that with this one. I’ve added the suggestions from those to the 1st post here.

A further suggestion made in the other thread, which was a bit like my original suggestion in my first post, was to make some of these skins available via gem purchases, and I think that’s an excellent idea! Not only would players benefit from this, it would also generate possible extra income for ANET.

in Ranger

Posted by: BornOfAnubis.7981

BornOfAnubis.7981

I missed the parenthesis with (skin over it) lol… great idea!

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I think it has a lot of potential and should be fairly easy to implement.

in Ranger

Posted by: Faolchu.1629

Faolchu.1629

For terrestrial I second Rock dogs, icebrood dogs, war dogs (summoned by centaur in wvwvw), and wargs.

I miss my crocodile from GW1 so… Them, maybe albino croc as well.

Perhaps large snakes like giant python or anaconda etc.

Wurms, Minotaurs, Raptors, and Griffons would be interesting… and giant bats

For aquatics, dolphins, giant eels, sea turtles, and maybe those lightning fish I’ve seen in some deeps. They look interesting.

Side note, I think we can all agree all pets could use an increase in size as they level. They are just so tiny compared to their npc counter parts.

“Significant ranger improvements coming in the next patch. "-Jon Peters, Nov. 2012…

in Ranger

BornOfAnubis.7981

But eventually they would have to be standalone pets with their own stats and skills. So the question is, is it worth the time, effort and money to create skins then later go back and recreate them as actual pets. I think everyone can agree the diversity of pets will grow.

in Ranger

BornOfAnubis.7981

I would love to have:
-Minotaur
-Ettin
-Oakheart
-Any Branded creature

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Well you can only have so many skills before they start becoming the same thing. When I say skin-over, what I mean is that they take say a red drake, remove the artwork and add a ridgeback scale artwork over it, then make it a tameable beast in game. You have essentially two red drakes in game, but different names. Time and effort shouldn’t be a problem for the skin over idea, especially if the artwork is already there. Now adding different skills will be a different story, considering balancing, but overall shouldn’t be that difficult either.

I’m not sure about Ettins. Aren’t they essential humanoids?

Nice ideas Faolchu, I’ll add those to the list.

in Ranger

BornOfAnubis.7981

Well arent all skills in game, pets and characters alike, essentially the same just differ in condition? Great ideas though guys.

in Ranger

BornOfAnubis.7981

And I am not trying to downplay the suggestion at all by the way.

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

No thats okay. I see what you’re saying, but I am also trying to find a way to make it easier at least to get different pets in without the necessity of balancing. When you factor in new skills in, balancing comes into play.

Perhaps a good mix of the two would be in call. Some pets are skin-overs, others have their own unique sets of skills.

in Ranger

BornOfAnubis.7981

Here is my question to you. Would you rather have them just throw skin overs at us in bunches or create quality standalone pets. I guess what it essentially boils down to is quality vs. quantity. Seeing as I dont think we will get both, I’d say I can wait for solid standalone pets.

Also, dont forget every pet has its own animations so those would have to be recreated for the skin overs.

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Personally, I like the quantity. ;p However, I feel a combination of the two would be more ideal.

As far as the animations go, they already exist for currently existing monsters that aren’t pets. Look at the drakes for example. They use the same mechanics.

in Ranger

BornOfAnubis.7981

Im just saying that it would be more than just a skin over as it would have to bring the animations of that animal with it therefor being a kind of standalone pet minus the skills lol.

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Gotcha

I’m also putting this into the stickied Suggestions thread in the General Discussion Forum after a couple days. However, I’m afraid it’s going to get lost in there.

in Ranger

BornOfAnubis.7981

Im sure a lot of people have plenty of ideas. I think ANet is very good at customer satisfaction and I’m willing to bet they will see this thread eventually and address it. As I said before though, I think perfecting the core game takes priority over aesthetics. As it should be but in time we will get our wish.

in Ranger

BornOfAnubis.7981

We just have to continue to have patience and not be the typical “The video game doesnt cater to my every need, I’m mad.” player.

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Yep I agree, and we might possible not see any new additional pets until an expansion/dlc. But I do hope to see possible options in the Black Lion Trading Gem shop as well.

in Ranger

Posted by: SpectacularYak.6518

SpectacularYak.6518

There’s already a sea turtle in the game, so that’s not really new artwork. I’d definitely like to see crabs, and have access to some of the currently untameable boars.

A Dolyak would be neat too, or a Stag.

in Ranger

Posted by: adagiophoto.4512

adagiophoto.4512

Personally, I really like the realism of the current pets, drakes and devourers aside. I’m not fond of the idea of people running around with monster pets. I know people like their fantasy pets, but it totally bugs me.

Personally, I want the tropical bird, and my wife always seems to favor crocodiles so those are my first choices. Beyond that, I think the stags and moose would be fun, turtles, dolfins and crabs for aquatic.

in Ranger

Posted by: Beardmonger.4692

Beardmonger.4692

There’s already a dolphin model in-game. I forget where it is, but it was floating at the entrance to a Whispers hideout as an allied NPC.

in Ranger

Posted by: riku.2091

riku.2091

Gonna have to disagree with Branded and Icebroods on a lore level.

But I would love a Parrot/Macaw. Give it daze or something. :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

I’d love to see the Phoenix make a come back, and flamingos! They were in GW1 after all. :)

I don’t think it’s possible to tame branded creatures. There’s a part in the personal storyline where you can choose to help Ogres. Members of the Krall head to the branded area in attempts to tame the beasts, but become corrupted in doing so. They say nothing can tame them. The Ogres probably know pets better than we rangers do. Their whole society has relied on animal companions for ages, and they have the ability to tame hostile creatures that we can only dream of. They don’t even require a animal to be juvenile to domesticate them.

(edited by Nimmi.1650)

in Ranger

Posted by: Mardermann.7468

Mardermann.7468

I´d love to have the weasel family as pets.. Badgers, Wolverines (Honeybadgers? ^^ )
They could make the smaller ones (martens, weasels, ferrets, minks etc) into minipets

I think it would be awesome to see a raging “little” wolverine fly into action

in Ranger

BornOfAnubis.7981

Gonna have to disagree with Branded and Icebroods on a lore level.

But I would love a Parrot/Macaw. Give it daze or something. :P

Yeah Im not familiar with the GW lore.

in Ranger

Posted by: Toranaga.4185

Toranaga.4185

The warbeasts in Harathi Hinterlands look pretty awesome. Flamingos are available in the grove as far as i know. Oh and armadillos as a tank pet would be nice.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

Am I the only one who really wants a Grub pet? Function pretty much like spiders (especially the poison ones), and look awesome (especially the fire ones).

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.

in Ranger

Posted by: Animok.2789

Animok.2789

Some great ideas here. Couple more…

Otter – amph
Fox – terr – could probably just take the fern hound animations and give it a new and smaller mesh on that skeleton.

The spirits look like dolphins (and cool at that) in the water so they’d just need an ability and a new skin.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

The warbeasts in Harathi Hinterlands look pretty awesome. Flamingos are available in the grove as far as i know. Oh and armadillos as a tank pet would be nice.

I meant actual flamingos, not pink moas. Like this guy -> http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Flamingo :3

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Sorry I’ve been AFK for a day and half now, but I’ll be updating this list shortly to reflect the recent posts.

Also, I’m going to hold off a few more days before pasting this into the suggestions thread to be sure everyone has their requests in.

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

*Okay, list has been updated, including some from a couple other new threads.

in Ranger

Posted by: Faolchu.1629

Faolchu.1629

Haha ok I came to add armadilla since I came across one in game last night and thought they looked well done. Glad to see the lil fella already made the list.

“Significant ranger improvements coming in the next patch. "-Jon Peters, Nov. 2012…

in Ranger

Posted by: ArtifexDominus.8675

ArtifexDominus.8675

I want the option to have a Lion, male or female with male being my first preference. The male lions looked horrible in GW1 but with what they have done in GW2 I know they can bring good ol’ Mufassah back….

in Ranger

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

I would very much like to be able to tame griffins.

I’d also kinda like to see them renamed to gryphons. As I’ve always said – Griffon is a type of dog, Griffin is a person’s name, Gryphon is the mythical beast.

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I’m with you there Storm. In fact, in the book series I am writing, I’ve kept the creature true to its original name.

*Updated the list with new requests, both from this thread and another.

in Ranger

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

House cat, please.

I would also like a translucent wolf spirit pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Phantomrose.8627

Phantomrose.8627

I would love to be able to tame a dolphin for aquatic combat! I would also like to be able to tame a deer, or even a gryphon.

in Ranger

Posted by: jonG.8369

jonG.8369

I know some of these currently don’t exist in the game but how about -

- Gorillas/apes
- Lions
- A swarm of multiple bees, hornets, wasps & locust.
-Large praying mantis
-Prehistoric/Jurassic-like creatures.(land, air, sea)
-Snakes (cobra, boa)
-Sabertooth tiger
-Anything that is mythological or fantasy based. Just more variety than everyday normal animals we see irl would be welcome.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sucuri.5348

Sucuri.5348

Having every pet in game all ready, I am all for this :P

More water (only) pets please! Jellyfish, Armorfish and 1 Shark only? I love water combat, not to fond of my water combat pet choices….

in Ranger

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

Ferrets would be nice.

in Ranger

Posted by: Acaelus Thorne.3862

Acaelus Thorne.3862

I want to start up a listing of new pet ideas that people would like to see implemented. I figured I’d start a catch all with this post. So if you want to see a new pet added to the system for either an update, expansion, or even a black lion buy, list it here.

My suggestion is to add more of the monsterous pets like the drakes. For example, I’d like to have a Ridgeback Scale as an amphibian pet. I’d even pay RL money at the Black Lion for it, even if it had the same abilities as other pets (ie just a skin-over like the HoM pets).

So for example, my #1 request is a Ridgeback Scale.

I’m going to edit this periodically to include other specific suggestions in this post and other threads.

Here is the current request list broken down into types:

Amphibian:
-Ridgeback Scale
-Crab
-Crocodile
-Turtle
-Otter
-Walrus
-Dragon

Terrestrial:
-Griffon
-Raptor
-Wurm
-Minotaur
-Oakheart
-Branded Creatures
-Snake
-Rockdog
-Warg
-Any of the weasel family: Badger, Wolverine, Ferret etc.
-Warbeasts of Harathi Hinterlands
-Armadillo
-Grub
-Fox
-Rabbit
-Dolyak
-Stag
-Tropical Birds: Parrot, Macaw, etc.
-Moose
-Phoenix
-Flamingo
-Cliff Bat
-Lion: Male and Female versions
-Ram
-Longhorned Sheep
-Other subtypes of canine

Aquatic:
-Eel
-Lighting Fish (Deep sea types?)
-Dolphin
-Whale
-Tuna
-Barracuda

Also, one thing that bothers several people is that the pet size does not change at all. A pet should grow in size with level ala GW1.

Why so many pets. its not like you can use all of them. some of the pets that you have name are in certain areas only. for example the Lion is only on elona and tigers are cantha. For me out of all pets that we can charm, which including the once from HoM am only use about three pets. the Snow Leopard, Fern Hound and the Polar Bear. When am in a group i use the Fern hound because of its heal buff, but when am solo its Snow Leopard and Polar Bear.

in Ranger

Posted by: Riles.4568

Riles.4568

Atm, my biggest problem with pets is that they are way too squishy. But given that my ranger is only level 11, this might be better later on. In particular the starter cat you get as a char ranger dies to quickly. I stopped using it because every encounter he would run out of hp and run back.

in Ranger

Posted by: Grannysaff.5946

Grannysaff.5946

I would be most content if I could have an Alpine Stalker.

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

@Acaelus, I do agree that the list is getting rather large, but it’s what the people want.

@Riles, yeah, pets in general are too squishy, and I don’t particularly like the solution of using bears only. That defeats the purpose of having so many choices. One thing that will help a little is to add points into the Beastmastery trait.

*Updated the list with new requests.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I would really like to see ArenaNet add something that’s completely new. I love the Hyenas ability to summon an extra hyena, so I’d like to see more of that.

Herds/Flocks/Swarms (you have at least three, that each does a small amount of damage):

• Herd of Dolyaks
  • Flock of Swallows
  • Flock of Hungry Gulls
  • Flock of Blood Bats
  • Swarm of Bees (maybe using honey or pheromones as attacks)
  • Swarm of Honeypot Ants

Some cool Aquatic pets that doesn’t get much (if any) attention in games:

• Sunfish (a non-deadly fish that can grow to weight over 1.5 ton!)
  • Goliath Tigerfish (huge fish with insane teeth)
  • Angler Fish
  • Wels Catfish (huge half fish, half eel)

Also, where is my parrot ArenaNet?! You can’t add pirate clothing to the game, and not have parrots! Blasphemy, I say!

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

in Ranger

Posted by: AreeSoothsayer.1068

AreeSoothsayer.1068

I’d like to add my request for the land type.
Deer.
Buck, Doe, Ect. That rapidfire kicking attack is nifty.

Also the squishyness of pets is indeed a problem, I put my 2 cents in another post and decided to add it here. Gear/Rune effects that focus not on the player but pet/summons. I know I’d focus more on my pet that holds agro off me to keep it alive longer than myself since the Canine/Insect toughness is well over 2k with beastmastery and Master’s Bond maxed out. It’s just the fact that defense is useless against conditions and spells.

(edited by AreeSoothsayer.1068)

in Ranger

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I finally figured out this other request from another thread. I’ve updated the list to reflect that and will add these new requests in a bit

in Ranger

Posted by: salt.6759

salt.6759

Skelks please!! pictured below

Also griffins and raptors would be awesome. I really like their models in game. It looks like ogres have been able to tame griffins and eagle raptors so I don’t see why we shouldn’t be able to.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Ouspensky.5248

Ouspensky.5248

What I’d like to see is purchasable skins for your pet in the gem shop. Imagine a bear/arctodus with heavy war armor on.

Hell, an entire armor system for pets similar to the system that was in Warhammer for the White Lion class would be cool too.