New Utility suggestion(blinding light)

in Ranger

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

since reveal buff is not well accepted by the thief community,

because they point out that:

1. specific counter build is not good, eg revealing stealthed character

2. they also pointed that only 2 classes uses stealth as a mechanic.

then why not give rangers blinding light (aka flashbang to FPS games) so that it can be used generally against all classes,

this is my idea:

blinding light :
900 radius,
4 secs that the whole screen of the player will turn white
60 sec cooldown

in Ranger

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

Who cares if Reveal isn’t well accepted by the thief community? The thief is overpowered, and they know it. They just want to remain overpowered.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

A) This doesn’t work in PvE
B) This sounds like a Guardian spell, but acts like a Counter Strike flashbang, which makes sense for an engineer to have.

And from a practical sense, this would likely be too complex for the devs to code in an already released game, assuming that ArenaNet even considered adding a new ability into the game without an expansion.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

We have the Sun Spirit whose active is called Solar Flare, and it blinds all enemies in the area, it does quite well at stopping a thief from ganking because it causes their next attack to miss (IE backstab)

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

…unless the thief takes half a second to gib your spirits.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

And then, you know, he gets blinded again because of natures vengeance, and by doing that look, he just wasted one of his stealths so he could gib a spirit…

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

And then, you know, he gets blinded again because of natures vengeance, and by doing that look, he just wasted one of his stealths so he could gib a spirit…

If he was stealthed, then either you’re not going to know if you’re going to hit him or if you’re very intuitive, you blind him and he just runs instead of trying to backstab.

If he’s not stealthed and gibs your spirit, then he takes a short blind, while you go without your spirit goes on cooldown.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

If he was stealthed, then either you’re not going to know if you’re going to hit him or if you’re very intuitive, you blind him and he just runs instead of trying to backstab.

If he’s not stealthed and gibs your spirit, then he takes a short blind, while you go without your spirit goes on cooldown.

Spirits go on CD at summon, they last 60 seconds so depending on how long it took him to get around to kill the spirit will depend on how long you need to wait to bring it back, not to mention the spirit will give you the buff right before dying meaning you still have 5 seconds to proc the effect, which them being visible means that you’ll likely be lighting them on fire (since you’re clearly using sun spirit), same goes for your pet, that’s 6+ seconds of burn, which is bad for a thief since you know, they have total kitten for health…

And if you see the thief stealth just stand by the spirit and activate it, anyone whose to thick to know the thief is likely going for the ranger deserves to get full on back stabbed by the thief…

PS: How do so few people on this forum seem to know where thieves are pre stealth? They only have like 3 stealth options that don’t require someone around, one is a heal that they’d waste, the other two are fairly lengthy CDs, most thieves wont waste their stealth skills pre combat….

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

Ugh, not going into it further, but the downside of the option is ultimately that you have spirits in PvP. Until they buff the hp of them, they’ll just continue to be fodder.

If you’re having trouble dealing with thieves though, just run a trap build. Traps melt thieves and will show you where they are when stealthed.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Fodder is a good thing… Especially if the enemy is only Melee because they have to choose between you or the spirit, and that’s damage they’re -not- dealing to you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

since reveal buff is not well accepted by the thief community,

because they point out that:

1. specific counter build is not good, eg revealing stealthed character

2. they also pointed that only 2 classes uses stealth as a mechanic.

then why not give rangers blinding light (aka flashbang to FPS games) so that it can be used generally against all classes,

this is my idea:

blinding light :
900 radius,
60 sec cooldown

NO. Guardians and Thieves do the blinding. I don’t think we need more blinds. WE NEED TO SEE!

1. Stealth specifically counters vision and many other things, so that argument is invalid.
2. Four classes can stealth…not just two. Thieves and Mesmers just have a lot more. I use stealth via Siamoth with my greatsword glass cannon Ranger as a mechanic. So, just because the Thief stealth build is more popular doesn’t make stealth Rangers or Engineers any less special.

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

(edited by Panther Chameleon.8465)

in Ranger

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

blinding light :
900 radius,
60 sec cooldown

NO. Guardians and Thieves do the blinding. I don’t think we need more blinds. WE NEED TO SEE!

Its not the blinding that this game has, what im suggesting is blinding as flashbang like what FPS games has, where the enemy screen will turn completely white,

its not a specific counter to thieves, but a utility to rangers to use against different enemies in pvp, whether what class rangers face

(edited by Oldgrimm.8521)

in Ranger

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Who cares if Reveal isn’t well accepted by the thief community? The thief is overpowered, and they know it. They just want to remain overpowered.

Lol this. Who cares what the thief community thinks, they’re talking about buffs even when they’re overpowered. Even with invis, they’ll still have the rendering issue that ANet hasn’t solved to work with. So who actually does care.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

blinding light :
900 radius,
60 sec cooldown

Its not the blinding that this game has, what im suggesting is blinding as flashbang like what FPS games has, where the enemy screen will turn completely white,

its not a specific counter to thieves, but a utility to rangers to use against different enemies in pvp, whether what class rangers face

Yes, lets add a skill that’d be entirely useless in PvE not to mention would e completely and utterly worthless in PvP as well against anyone who knows how to aim without seeing… So quite a few people… That’ll fix me being bad at fightin thieves!!

An as panther said, more then just thieves stealth, my ranger had a stealthy build for a while, my eng stealths quite regularly as well, is it as much as a thief? No, but still.

in Ranger

Panther Chameleon.8465

blinding light :
900 radius,
60 sec cooldown

So, we want to give the Ranger an ability to turn everyones screen white. I play fps and flashbangs are the most annoying thing for everyone. Firstly, flashbangs shouldn’t turn your screen into a disco party. Flashbangs in css and whatever should turn your screen black because anyone who plays for hours knows a fast flashing bright white screen will really strain your eyes. I don’t agree with this utility, but there could be a way to make it work.

Ranger throws the device or “flashbang” and it slowly starts to affect players who are looking directly at it. The screen starts to turn black from the edges and works its way to the center. However, anyone can turn their back to it and slowly reverse the effects. The flashbang also acts like an AOE combo field fire/poison. Sounds more like an engineer skills, so I think the Ranger needs more utility and traits to build a dependable burst build that can compete with Thieves and Warriors i.e some skill combo that’s as easy and powerful as a hundred blades or CnD/backstab.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

No.
Making a class counter a class’ unique mechanic is stupid and a quick bandage way of balance. The ranger needs buffs but not this crap that keeps getting rehashed

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

I don’t give a kitten what thieves think. Every spvp match I play, half of the people in the game are thieves. And that’s pretty much the minimum, I’ve seen it so that 75% of the players were thieves.

They’re OP and they know it. And they want to stay that way. Give us , or somebody, a reveal. Tie it to a current utility if they are complaining about it being too specific.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

in Ranger

Panther Chameleon.8465

No.
Making a class counter a class’ unique mechanic is stupid and a quick bandage way of balance. The ranger needs buffs but not this crap that keeps getting rehashed

It’s not a unique mechanic. Thieves do not own stealth. They have the opportunity to capitalize and spam it through their traits and utilities. Is Poison a direct counter to healing? Pretty much. Does cc directly counter Necros/Warriors and anyone else without stability? Yup. I play Thief without a single stealth ability and do quite well, so the only people complaining are Backstab thieves afraid that stealth reveal will destroy thier perma stealth backstab builds. I’m fine with instagibbing, and do agree that Rangers need to have a good burst by buffing, fixing, re-imagining traits and utility.