New casual ranger needs help

in Ranger

Posted by: native.4890

native.4890

You see…

I have an issue here.

I can only play casually due to RL responsibilities. So I’ve been tying different builds, but can’t decide. So my question is, sword +(axe, warhorn) good enough for PvE? with little or no weapon swapping? The reason I’d prefer not to weapon swap is because 1. simplicity 2. my wasd hand (left hand) is hurt.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vermil Rockrim.9756

Vermil Rockrim.9756

If your left hand is hurt I would suggest remmaping crucial keyboard keys to your mouse, or someplace near your right hand until it heals. You will do OK with a sword and a axe/warhorn, just don’t expect to win every fight on the first try. Long range combat is better suited for novices since the pet will tank for you, but being used to it is detrimental to your skill development.

So if you have to choose only one, I’d say choose meele and get good with it. You will be unstopable on the long run.

in Ranger

Posted by: native.4890

native.4890

Thank you Vermil.

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

sword + (axe,wh) is great for PvE, but control the sword with autoattack on is really tricky.
If you are hurt and don’t want to stress your left hand and have a good all-around weapon go for greatsword, it has evade on autoattack, good mobility with swoop, a block, great spike with maul, all in 1 package.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

If you use sword and dagger, that would give you enough mobility around the target with just skills and little movement with left hand. Panning the camera with your mouse as you move is a trick you’ll have to learn though.

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I would say go longbow. sword does require lot of attention and it’s rooting auto attack will serve your hand some hard times (pressing dodge/evade skill like mad to no avail until root is over).

With longbow you pick your fights and have far greater control, and less stress both on nerves and your hand.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

You see…

I have an issue here.

I can only play casually due to RL responsibilities. So I’ve been tying different builds, but can’t decide. So my question is, sword +(axe, warhorn) good enough for PvE? with little or no weapon swapping? The reason I’d prefer not to weapon swap is because 1. simplicity 2. my wasd hand (left hand) is hurt.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sword is actually our highest damaging weapon, and both Axe and WH are great off hands for said weapon (depends on what you want to focus on). Obviously, you will take a hit to your ability to do damage and contribute to the team if you’re not weapon swapping, but you should be more than capable of playing through any and all PvE content with only Sword/Axe or Warhorn.

Just make sure to give your groups a heads up, or play with people you know so you can avoid being yelled at/thrown from the groups by roaming kitten holes.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

Protip: If you play together with others, don’t ever use Longbow skill 4 unless they ask for it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Protip: If you play together with others, don’t ever use Longbow skill 4 unless they ask for it.

Or someone in the group is melee and has been kittening you off the whole time and you want to get some revenge.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Look into getting a gaming mouse like a naga or logitech g600. You’ll have enough buttons to map just about everything to it.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Sword + Axe is current meta for PvE, so it will work. The issue is you don’t want to have auto-attack set on Sword because it locks you out of dodging when you need to … something we’ve been asking for a fix for for a long time now :-/

As such, you’ll likely be carefully (but quickly) pressing the key for your auto-attack throughout each fight.

I do recommend getting a gaming mouse.

I have a naga … it’s my 2nd one … I don’t recommend it … I’m starting to get very annoyed with the mouse drift issue which google tells me is a very common issue with it. I don’t see articles on the g600 having that. I’ve also since then compared the two and it seems each comparison I watch rates the g600 as the better mouse. I’m planning on replacing my naga with a g600.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

(edited by Sebrent.3625)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Actually for PvE I think autoattack on the sword is fine. You very rarely need to dodge, especially if you have a guardian or thief in your party.

If it becomes troublesome, you can run s/a + s/d, and if you need to interrupt the autoattack, swap weapons and use dagger 4.

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

Sword + Axe is current meta for PvE, so it will work. The issue is you don’t want to have auto-attack set on Sword because it locks you out of dodging when you need to … something we’ve been asking for a fix for for a long time now :-/

As such, you’ll likely be carefully (but quickly) pressing the key for your auto-attack throughout each fight.

I do recommend getting a gaming mouse.

I have a naga … it’s my 2nd one … I don’t recommend it … I’m starting to get very annoyed with the mouse drift issue which google tells me is a very common issue with it. I don’t see articles on the g600 having that. I’ve also since then compared the two and it seems each comparison I watch rates the g600 as the better mouse. I’m planning on replacing my naga with a g600.

Yup, that’s what I did. I’ve found the g600 to be an all around better mouse than my naga was and it has already lasted longer.

LGN

in Ranger

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

fifteen characters

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

(edited by GussJr.1643)

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I swore I would never again buy a Logitech after my G600 wore out the left button and the cursor started jumping all over the place after about 4 months of use.

I bought a SteelSeries Rival 6 months ago while in a rush (was leaving for Antarctica for a year and had no mouse) and I’m very happy with it, too bad it only has three extra buttons for binds, because I would use it to play when I get home. Have been looking at getting a full Razer set (laptop, mouse, headset) when I get home, but unsure right now. Plenty of time to decide.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

I swore I would never again buy a Logitech after my G600 wore out the left button and the cursor started jumping all over the place after about 4 months of use.

I bought a SteelSeries Rival 6 months ago while in a rush (was leaving for Antarctica for a year and had no mouse) and I’m very happy with it, too bad it only has three extra buttons for binds, because I would use it to play when I get home. Have been looking at getting a full Razer set (laptop, mouse, headset) when I get home, but unsure right now. Plenty of time to decide.

My logitech has been going strong for at least 2 years now, I guess it’s just luck of the draw. The difference is when your naga breaks down you are out 80 bucks instead of the 40 that the G600 costs.

LGN

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Well, in Australia, the G600 is $100 and the Naga is $70.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I wonder why there is such a price gouge. I’m pretty sure they are both manufactured in china which is a lot closer to y’all than it is to us. Someones getting rich on tax hikes and import fees.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Posted by: Slalom.3174

Slalom.3174

I would say go longbow. sword does require lot of attention ….

With longbow you pick your fights and have far greater control, and less stress both on nerves and your hand.

Yes, longbow+bear
Hint: If you are clumsy like me, don’t use sword when dueling around EotM. So many cliffs. Ackk!

Look into getting a gaming mouse like a naga or logitech g600. You’ll have enough buttons to map just about everything to it.

Love the G600; it is holding up well to abuse, drops, re-mapping. Tossed out my Naga.

“Please accept my text in the jovial, friendly manner that it is intended.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Samis.1750

Samis.1750

If you don’t want to buy a different mouse, my question is what is the main issue with weapon swapping?

I assume the weapon swap forces you to move your hand too much compared to the other skills. Can you somehow bind weapon swap to your middle mouse button if you have one?

Or just click your weapon swap. It’s not like you’re in elite sPvP.

Greatsword/longbow works fine for PvE and WvW zerging if you want to dabble there when you hit lvl 80. Sword might be somewhat better if you master it, but unless you’re trying to do a speed run – who really cares? Just find a guild with nice people and have fun. And double melee weapons tend to require considerably more swapping.

Tarnished Coast