New ranger pet idea: Phoenix

in Ranger

Posted by: Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Hey. Anyone who played GW1 remembers being able to tame a phoenix. I would love to see this in GW2, I have a few basic ideas for it and would like to know what you guys think/some ideas of your own. I was thinking it would have higher than average vitality, and perhaps precision. The special ability would create a fire combo field for a short time, and blind/burn nearby foes with ash for 3s on maybe a 1/2 second cast time and 40 recharge. With the new traits, there could be a new trait that when a phoenix you have equipped dies, it is revived, causing a blast finisher and giving nearby allies vigor and regen for a short period. That would have some kind of cooldown, probably 60 or 90 seconds. Anyways, feel free to discuss! Some ideas for the normal moves would be cool too, and opinions about if you want more pet families or not.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

meh, in that sense, we could just get the option to charm fire imp’s….

And while we’re at it. Whales, Risen Bullsharks, Rock Dogs, Minotaurs, Barracudas, Dolyaks, Armadillos and charrs (c’mon, its just a big cat)

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

(edited by Prysin.8542)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Why not a phoenix with a ground target f2. Say the phoenix flies over the target and beats the air for a knockback and blast finisher.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Debois Guilbert.6413

Debois Guilbert.6413

meh, in that sense, we could just get the option to charm fire imp’s….

And while we’re at it. Whales, Risen Bullsharks, Rock Dogs, Minotaurs, Barracudas, Dolyaks, Armadillos and charrs (c’mon, its just a big cat)

Or Juvenile Karka… seriously. Somewhat less seriously, a Juvenile Risen High Wizard so we could have a ranger pet wielding Eternity:

Attachments:

Altoholic Luciana Delaluna, Ranger
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] – Gate of Madness
“This space intentionally left blank.” ~ Zork

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

The main problem with all of this is that the Phoenix’s in GW1 were not European Phoenix’s, they were Asian (I think Chinese specifically) IE: NOT FIRE. So that entire idea of fire, rebirth blah blah blah, not gonna happen.

That being said, I’d love to see the Phoenix’s make a reappearance and I’d love to see them as their OWN type (or at least share it with other large flying birds/animals).

PS: I’ll put up a skill set later based upon the Chinese myth if you want, or at least a bullet for what their known for.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

This is probably the pet I miss the most from GW1. I think birds look a lot better in GW2 and I really wish the phoenix was brought back into the game. It would be awesome if it was some kind of support pet.

Personally I hope any future pets they add have combo fields as their F2 and blast finishers on their skill bars. Pets with combo fields are very useful and the drake blast finishers stand out on the ranger. It wouldn’t hurt to have an AoE ranged pet either.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

IMHO: Pheonix is a bit bigger than ravens.

F2 Ability:
The Pheonix explodes, turning himself to ashes and dealing damage to nearby enemies. Combofinisher: Blast
The Pheonix then becomes unable to attack / be attacked for 2 (3?) seconds, while healing itself for 1/3 of its current (maximum?) health

Standard attack: like bird
Second ability: The Pheonix hurls its enemy in flames, dealing damage and burnign them for 3 (2?) seconds

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

That being said, I’d love to see the Phoenix’s make a reappearance and I’d love to see them as their OWN type (or at least share it with other large flying birds/animals).

could be a new grandmaster trait in wilderness survival though. something like the “downed #3 for warriors” “Rise from the ashes: From the remains of the ranger, a phoenix rises to seek out revenge upon those who defeated it’s master. Phoenix lasts 30 seconds, if phoenix kills the one who killed you, you get revived” (ICD: 5 minutes) Ofc, Phoenix only has OP attacks

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Wing Leigh.3795

Wing Leigh.3795

Phoenix’s were in GW1. They had a rainbow phoenix which was really flashy, but cool.

I’m up for any and all new pets.

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Durzlla.6295 Oh you are right. My mistake, I should have looked up the myth beforehand as I thought they seemed different! Go ahead and post some stuff, if you want. But it seems like the Chinese phoenix stood for fire/the sun to some, so one of the subtypes could still be a fire themed phoenix, similar to the European one.

(edited by Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082)

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I always wanted a basilisk for the stun ray. Muahaha

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Wikipedia says the Chinese phoenix is known for residing in areas blessed with prosperity and happiness. Perhaps the activated move for one of them could create a small circle of healing/protection, or random boons.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Prosperity and happiness? Or stability and happiness?

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Prosperity and happiness? Or stability and happiness?

Prosperity and happiness translates into Stability and Protection if you ask me xD

in Ranger

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Different sites will just tell you different things that the phoenix represents…it all seems jumbled up. Personally I see it as luck and rebirth. I forgot from what culture the luck part came from though.

But I definitely wanna see the phoenix return.

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

A phoenix skin is probably somewhere in their Future plans.

It just didn’t make sense in Tyria b/c it’s NOT A TYRIAN SPECIES. …Duh…
Might as well complain about there not being white tigers everywhere too.
(disregarding certain very pale striped Charr of course).

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Yeah, once we go to Cantha I guarantee we will see the return of the Phoenix pet, as well as several others! I want my crane back, Sgt Slappy I miss you =(

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Who is complaining? o.0 Just talking about pet ideas… Isn’t that the kind of thing forums are for?

in Ranger

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

I miss my phoenix and white tiger.

The great forum duppy.